FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how can you design a webpage with live chat?

MarzEz
is there any way to add a live chat to a custom webpage?
the source code, a link to the source code or a link to a tutorial on how to make the source code would be very much apreciated. also, does anyone know how to add a section where you can add a username with a password so only certain people can chat and see what's being said?

p.s. how do you create a sidebar with hyperlinks?

thanks for the help.
escritor
You can run a Java-based chat room on your site. "There are no banners, adverts, popups, and no obligation."
[FuN]goku
mhh... flash based chat... or you could have maybe, some sort of heavily modified shoutbox that refreshes every x seconds and stores chat in a mysql..

I think you can use ajax or something... Meh *shrugs*

I dont really know.. you might be able to do something with ASP.NET.. Although i know VB.NET and C# quite well, i know that ASP.NET is based on these 2 languages, and you can make chat apps in C# and VB of course.. so theres a possibility of doing something in ASP.NET... maybe.. you'll have to do some googling on that Razz
escritor
MarzEz, if the last comment didn't scare you away from this thread, you can check this other site that offers flash-based chatrooms: WyldRyde IRC Network. They claim to be "have made adding a free chatroom to your web site as easy as possible".
MarzEz
no, it didn't scare me...
too much.
i generally stay away from any code, including html.
thx 4 the links, peoplez.
escritor
MarzEz wrote:
no, it didn't scare me...
too much.
i generally stay away from any code, including html.
thx 4 the links, peoplez.

Hehe. If they don't work, ask again here and we'll try to help you putting one of those chats on your site or finding another one.
MarzEz
thx heaps.
will see what i can do.
aningbo
i would recommend flash instead of java. even php chat script works. for instance, if you dont have a java installed in your system, you cant chat and downloading the stuff will take ages for slow connections.
FunDa
aningbo wrote:
i would recommend flash instead of java. even php chat script works. for instance, if you dont have a java installed in your system, you cant chat and downloading the stuff will take ages for slow connections.

I would recommed AJAX

Asynchronous Javascipt and XML. That is the thing which GMail chat uses. It's absolutely perfect when you are on a public computer without admin rights and want to chat. Just enable Javascript (it's enabled by default) and everything works perfectly.

Maybe there are free AJAX chat scipts out there.

By AJAX, I think PHP is the server part involved ... Other here on the forum would be able to guide you in that regard.
MarzEz
I've tried a PHP installation, but it refuses to work. i have yet to apply this to my webpage. my processor died, and i'm using a friend's computer.
thanks heaps for the sugestions. i'll have to try them soon.