FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ralph Nader

Afaceinthematrix
I do not think that an independent, or third part candidate, will ever be elected as the president of The United States of America. However, I do believe that Nader has a better chance than any candidate in the past. What do you think of him? The reason why I said that he has the best chance of being elected (I just heard that he declared that he was running) is that only about 24% of Americans approve of the current government - that's extremely low. People are mad at both parties. Many people think that there is a huge mess in Washington, and Nader seems to be telling people that he's not part of that mess. I was just thinking about that right now. Who else thinks that he has a chance?
whitehole
If you want to run and can afford it I say do it. More choice is better for the country and injecting different perspectives into national debates is always a good thing too.

I don't think he will win because too many people only vote mainstream. If he was the winner of the dem race and Barack Obama had just announces his run as an independent I'd say the same thing. Most people in this country imo give too much credence to what the media says and don't do enough thinking and research on their own to really give someone like him a shot. Good luck to him though.
liljp617
I think the candidates better hope he doesn't steal votes Very Happy Could make the race more interesting, but honestly he has no chance...just like the past 50 times he's ran Razz
coolclay
I think he has just as much chance as he every has. This late in the game many people have probably already decided who they are voting for.
Afaceinthematrix
whitehole wrote:

I don't think he will win because too many people only vote mainstream.

Yeah, that's what I was saying pretty much. That's why I said that I don't think an independent or third party candidate will ever become president. But if it was to ever happen, I think it would be him.
MaxStirner
coolclay wrote:
I think he has just as much chance as he every has. This late in the game many people have probably already decided who they are voting for.

Quite correct. I believe he picked up about 0,3% last time around, but it is still perhaps enough to swing a very close election (of which the US recently had one).

In my opinion, the US democratic process has been calibrated and fine-tuned to a two-party system and the obstacles for any third party ore insurmountable. It is difficult to believe that American voters are so malleable that they will fit into one of two so similar molds.
liljp617
He'll never win over any major party candidate. But he sure as hell has a lot of pull (or has in the past). He basically destroyed Gore's chances of winning.
ganesh
It is difficult for Nader since he doesn't have the pull of a party behind him. He is a bit of a maverick, but America definitely needs someone different. It would have been nice if Ron Paul had emerged as the Republican candidate.. because he is just so different from the others and has the guts to stand up to weight of 'history' which is pulling other candidates down. Time American politics and financial situation underwent a major revamp!
liljp617
ganesh wrote:
It is difficult for Nader since he doesn't have the pull of a party behind him. He is a bit of a maverick, but America definitely needs someone different. It would have been nice if Ron Paul had emerged as the Republican candidate.. because he is just so different from the others and has the guts to stand up to weight of 'history' which is pulling other candidates down. Time American politics and financial situation underwent a major revamp!

Would have done more harm than Bush has. He has a good ideology, but he's so out of touch with reality it's scary.
tijn01
However much I like Ralph Nader, reality is that he was one of the reasons the USA (and the world) ended up with George W(anker) Bush - another reason that Jeff was governer in Florida - and noth with All Gore. Yeeee what a different place the world would be. Lets just hope and pray that Americans have the brains this time around to elect Obama in.