FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Cure - Goth or Pop?

blinx
Some of you may be aware of a band called the Cure, who are a British band formed in the late 70s, popular around the 80s and are still performing... anyway, some people are at conflict about what genre they are. They had a gothic phase where there music was quite gloomy, it was still good though. Then their style changed and their songs had a more pop feel, like "Close to Me" (if you've ever heard it). The lyrics were still slightly depressing though...
Laughing

But I'd just wondered what other people on the forums thought about this issue...
dacode
Hey !

It's a tricky question to answer.
Being an early Cure fan, I don't think of this band as a pop or goth group. They can be as depressed one day as they can be happy the week after. Some songs are incredibly dark while minimalistic, and others so naive...But maybe beacuse they were of one the first popular band ever to sell so many sad and depressed songs, they show the world a new era, and thus coined the goth attitude, among other bands.
The Mitchell
does it matter which one they are. surely theyre just goth with pop elements no?
AftershockVibe
Why can't they be both?
Ankhanu
Genres are not exclusive clubs Razz
While at their base, they are a pop band, they also fit in nicely with some variations on the goth genre... but I'd generally classify them as pop. Hell, some of the Easy Cure and early Cure recordings have a lot of the late 70s punk vibe to them, then move in to new wave with goth elements from 81-84', solidly pop for 85-87, then Disintegration was a pop masterpiece, and one of their gothy highlights; the 90s were pretty pop for them, with more rock elements, and the self-titled album had more rock to it than prior stuff... but yeah, through it all there's been a solid pop backing.

I've also got to say that The Head on the Door is a highly underrated, or perhaps just overlooked, album. Wink