FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what lense should get?

bjwok
hey folks, I am new to photgraphy and have had my canon 30d for about 6 months now and am looking to upgrade the stock lense (35-55) that came with it. the style of my shooting is pretty varied, check some of my pics here:

http://www.bjwok.frih.net/

and then can someone recommend what lenses i should be looking at?

cheers!
Makslahti
I used to know stuff like that, but ill forget them always.
If i can remind a good lens, i could tell you !
jwellsy
IMHO, the most versital lens is something like a 28-135mm variable zoom lens.
Then you can get a 100-300mm zoom lens.
Those 2 lenses will cover most anything.

Those 2 will be apreciably less money than individual fixed lenses.
The pictures won't be as good as a 1.3f fixed lens.

If you want to go with individual fixed lenses you'll want at least
a wideangle lens, a portrait lens and a long range lens.
bjwok
thanks for the info guys, i am thinking about just saving the bucks and going with the canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM. the way i see it is if i am taking this seriously then i will eventually get it anyway...

i need about 1500 for it, so i am gonna start saving now...

anyone here got one? post some examples of it in use!
bjwok
just bought the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM from ebay for 1500 as planned - now just waiting for postie! yeehaa
CTMiB
Now that you've got a decent telephoto lens, the only other one that I would suggest for a basic setup would be a good macro (close-up) lens.
bjwok
yep, thats what i will be looking at getting next. gonna really test out this thing first as i have seen examples of it at its macro end and they are pretty damn impressive let me tell you (even though it is obviously not a dedicated macro lense)
lethaltriad
Congrats on getting the 24-70 f2.8 L.. its money well spent. It's my most used lens because on my 5d its nice and wide so perfect for landscape and weddings and pop it on my 40d and it has a nice range. My lens that I currently own is the 60mm f2.8 macro, the 24-70 f2.8L and I just recently got the 70-200mm f2.8L IS. So definately right now you prob want a macro lens and a telephoto lens also and your gonna want a fast lens by looking on the type of pics you take so nothing slower than a f2.8

if you really wanna push the macro abilities of the 24-70 u may wanna try a the Extension Tube EF 12 II for it. cheers!

wanna invest in some fast primes later on.. some f1.8 or f1.4 f1.2 would be great, let us know how your lens is doing =)
bjwok
thanks man, yeah i will be looking at a macro lense, but right now i am gonna be spending A LOT of time with this lense playing with every possibillity!

will be changing my gallery and adding pics from it as i go too, so i will post a thread when it happens.

also want to try some HDR pics, so i will see how i do with those too, have you done any HDR?
Akito
jwellsy wrote:
IMHO, the most versital lens is something like a 28-135mm variable zoom lens.
Then you can get a 100-300mm zoom lens.
Those 2 lenses will cover most anything.

Those 2 will be apreciably less money than individual fixed lenses.
The pictures won't be as good as a 1.3f fixed lens.

If you want to go with individual fixed lenses you'll want at least
a wideangle lens, a portrait lens and a long range lens.

That's a great choice Rolling Eyes
bjwok
well, after the first day of shooting i gotta say the pics i took are pretty dismal. i guess this lense will take a lot of adjusting! from the kit lense i have to this is a big difference!

not only that i starting shooting in raw and i gotta say i have no clue what i am doing lol! might go back to auto settings until i actually suss the lense out!

i'll post the best pic from the day when i get home tonight...
lethaltriad
Yeah I shoot HDR most time i'm doing landscape unless if i'm shooting for long exposure for water/mist shots or if i'm doing infrared shots. You can have a look at my scenery work on my site.. http://www.ryansphotography.com/

I always shoot RAW.. always try to shoot at the best quality you can. I use the software that comes with the camera.. the Digital Photo Professional to convert my RAW files to 8bit TIFF and then edit it in Photoshop after that. Alot people shoot JPEG and get great results so its really up to which one your comfortable shooting and which is more convenient for you. I just love the added flexibility in shooting RAW.

Practice though with the other modes like TV.. shutter priority. A shutter speed of at least 1/200th should be more than enough to keep it steady in the 24-70mm range. Or shoot Apperture priority and play around with diff appertures.

Main thing is just to practice and shoot shoot =) Have fun and i'll check your site for updates