FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't connect to Akismet

bigdan
I've reinstalled WordPress, and I'm trying to get the Akismet plugin working. I have a API key ready to go...but I keep getting this:

There was a problem connecting to the Akismet server. Please check your server configuration.

Is anyone else here having that problem? I've looked everywhere, made sure I've got the right settings and nothing is happening.

This started after I upgraded to the latest version.

Is there something that needs to be done from Frihost's end? or from my end?
sondosia
I'm having the same problem; could someone PLEASE address this?

I also tried using a plugin called Wordpress.com Stats, which also requires an API key, and got this message:

Quote:
Your blog was unable to connect to WordPress.com. Please ask your host for help. (transport error - could not open socket: 736 )
sondosia
Sorry to post again, but...anyone? It's been a while.
leontius
I second this. It is not just Aksimet (I use that too), every other outgoing connection seems not to work. A script in my website cannot check for the validity of a Feedburner feed.

I assume this is just temporary, because my site is new and it is going to make important outgoing connections...
leontius
Sorry for the bump, but has anybody working on this? Does anybody else experience the same issue, or does this occur only for select accounts?
leontius
I checked it out today, and the problem is gone! Go Frihost!
leontius
Hmmm, that's weird. The problem had been gone for only about a day, and then it appeared again. Up to now the problem is still in. Does anybody know about this?
bigdan
leontius wrote:
Hmmm, that's weird. The problem had been gone for only about a day, and then it appeared again. Up to now the problem is still in. Does anybody know about this?

Same. Although, I've got Spam Karma and Bad Behaviour in place of Akismet, but it is still annoying. I don't think Frihost doesn't like Wordpress and vice-versa, because I've got other problems regarding Wordpress on my account and no support from anyone has been offered.
mOrpheuS
@bigdan, we are aware of the problem, there seems to be something amiss in the server's DNS.

(Not the DNS that the hosted sites use, rather the DNS that the server itself uses.)

We are working on it, please be patient.
bigdan
mOrpheuS wrote:
@bigdan, we are aware of the problem, there seems to be something amiss in the server's DNS.

(Not the DNS that the hosted sites use, rather the DNS that the server itself uses.)

Oh good, sorry if there was any doubt.

Would the DNS issue affect my other problem with WordPress?
leontius
Still no fix? It has been about a week. Emails also won't work: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-89417.html . I think these 2 problems are somehow connected, because when one was fixed the other one got fixed too, but when one came up again, the other one came up too.
leontius
No progress? It has been a long time.
kody
I'm still experiencing this problem too.

Did some googling about my issues, and it seems there's a magic fix for some servers:
Code:
setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect 1

I'm not sure how or where to run this code yet though... Still working on it...[/quote]
leontius
setsebool is a tool in SELinux, a security module for Linux. I don't think frihost has this installed, because exec does not find the binary for it ("sh: setsebool: command not found"). It must be a misconfiguration on Apache or PHP. I just hope that this is not intentional.

EDIT: So this is really intentional...
BigGeek
mOrpheuS wrote:

This post is from April 2008, this is still going on in February of 2010, I guess you either gave up, don't know how to fix the issue, or don't care if frihost is used for Wordpress sites.

I did a lot of research and reading over the last year or so, and decided wordpress was the way to go, so many of the posts were old about problems with it, so I figured that frihost admins had corrected the issue. I am dumbfounded that this is still going on almost 2 years later.

All my rss feeds tell me that they cannot resolve DNS, my Akismet filter can't verify key.....site is down for 2 days. WOW, I guess free hosting is worth what you pay for it.

Damn I was writing a blog about the particulars of uploading Wordpress on frihost. I thought that free hosting for just posting was a great deal, and my website has been written to promote frihost to users to help them get a start. I guess that was a bad idea.

Is anyone using Wordpress on Frihost, and if all of you have moved, can you direct me to a hosing environment that supports wordpress and will allow the feeds and filters to work?

Please!
jmi256
BigGeek wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

This post is from April 2008, this is still going on in February of 2010, I guess you either gave up, don't know how to fix the issue, or don't care if frihost is used for Wordpress sites.

I did a lot of research and reading over the last year or so, and decided wordpress was the way to go, so many of the posts were old about problems with it, so I figured that frihost admins had corrected the issue. I am dumbfounded that this is still going on almost 2 years later.

All my rss feeds tell me that they cannot resolve DNS, my Akismet filter can't verify key.....site is down for 2 days. WOW, I guess free hosting is worth what you pay for it.

Damn I was writing a blog about the particulars of uploading Wordpress on frihost. I thought that free hosting for just posting was a great deal, and my website has been written to promote frihost to users to help them get a start. I guess that was a bad idea.

Is anyone using Wordpress on Frihost, and if all of you have moved, can you direct me to a hosing environment that supports wordpress and will allow the feeds and filters to work?

Please!

I'm having the same problems with Akismet, as well as with incoming RSS feeds and my Twitter feed. But it was working just fine until this weekend, leading me to believe it's related to the server issues from over the weekend. I don’t think it has anything to do with frihost not liking Wordpress. But I have faith in frihost, and I trust Bondings and others will be able to get it resolved.
BigGeek
jmi256 wrote:
BigGeek wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

Please!

I'm having the same problems with Akismet, as well as with incoming RSS feeds and my Twitter feed. But it was working just fine until this weekend, leading me to believe it's related to the server issues from over the weekend. I don’t think it has anything to do with frihost not liking Wordpress. But I have faith in frihost, and I trust Bondings and others will be able to get it resolved.

Thanks, I didn't realize that it was working before this weekend,, I kept searching on the site and found some info about OpenDNS, so I signed up for it only to find it was for my home network, NOT to help with frihost. I gotta tell you, working on a website, and looking for fixes is one difficult and frustrating process. Right now I'm just so frustrated and upset with this, I feel like I'm about to pop. YUK
BigGeek
Honestly I thought becoming a network engineer was hard work, building and configuring and working with routers firewalls and switches load balancers and what not was a hard IT way to go.

You ever wonder why so many sites out there are just crap, half way done, and left to never be updated again.

Honestly I'm beginning to think the web is one big scam, if you are trying to build a website, everyone wants to sell you their tool, their instructions, their video's, no one wants to answer or help with technical issue unless you pay them for it. Forums and free information is a hard way to go, because searching is difficult, you type in a question or a topic, and you have to wade through pages of posts or articles, half the time you can't find any real info. Half the problem is just figuring out how to search out the answer to a topic, because the search engines are wierd. And if you use the exact phrase search, they almost always jump up with "no topics found". Real frustrating trying to search on indepth technical topics!!

Honestly building a website is like restoring a car, did you know that 88% of home restorations are never completed? I bet the prercentage of websites is higher. People see it, wnat to build their own website, get in start working, get blocked, stumped, frustrated, and give up. The difficulty of the expereince traumatizes them and whenever the topic comes up, they are forever frustrated, remembering the incrdible hard work that meets with failure bars them from ever wanting to work on it again. I was trying to help peole by showing them that they can find good instructions and free info to help them with their struggles. Here I am frustrated and pissed off because I can't get thigns to work. You know, throwing in the towel might work for me. I'd rather buikld and troubleshoot a network, at least CISCO and other vendors provide great support and documentation for their products, and being certified you have access to places andhlpe lines that you can actually get a workable answer from.

I'm struggling and frustrated today, and I have to appologize to everyone, I feel like I'm being a whinning ass!, I'm just pissed off at how many obstiacles I'm facing in this project.
driftingfe3s
It was working, the problem was resolved before but it just stopped working recently again as my Akismet hasn't been able to connect to the server for the past few days. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.