FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

All internet programs crash when started

Riick
My laptop is having episodes where a whole variety of programs crash as they are started up. When the affected program starts, the window appears just like normal and the program starts to function, but a few seconds later I get a pop-up message: the program "has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

These are the affected programs that I've noticed so far:
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Media Player
- PccHCMS.exe (a security software process)
- RealPlayer
- Napster

(Possibly what they all have in common is that they all connect to the internet?)

When this problem happens (and it doesn't always), it begins right after I've turned on the computer. When one affected program fails, the whole list does. Then later in the session, they sometimes all start working when I try them again. I haven't been able to determine any pattern as to what triggers the problem or what ends it.

At first I suspected it could be a problem with an add-on, but I ran explorer without add-ons (iexplore.exe -extoff) and the problem still occurred. Now I am wondering if I have a corrupt XP service or some missing dll's or something, but how would I check this? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

FYI- my system has the following:
- O/S: XP home, sp2
- security: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007
- browser: Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
bloodrider
You may try reinstall windows, it may solve your problem.
Otherwise with the information you provide I can't diagnoses anything, but maybe someone appears with some suggestion Wink
Riick
bloodrider- Thanks for the response! I'm not sure whether reinstalling is going to be an option for me. Best Buy or Compaq failed to provide any systems disks when I bought this computer three years ago. One of them told me the reason there were no reinstall disks was because my hard-drive was partitioned. Since then I've learned what they meant by this, and in fact my hard-drive is NOT partitioned. I suppose I could contact hp to see if they can send me the reinstall disks... but I'm hoping there's another solution aside from reinstalling XP. By the way; if anyone needs me to do something to gather more information about the problem just let me know...
bloodrider
I'm not saying to format and install another again XP, just reinstall over your windows and you won't loose anything, but if you don't have the cds...
You should have a hidden/protected partition that allows you to recover your windows, that's why they don't provide windows on physical media. In Windows-->Programs-->"HP menu" you should have a "recovery application" to burn your windows to cds. At least when your start your PC, in the initial screens, your BIOS screen, you should see a "F11 to recover windows", something like that Wink

PS: You can ask HP for the media at a small fee, at least I think it's small Razz
Riick
Thanks for the tip, bloodrider. It would be nice if you are correct about the hidden partition. There's certainly no partition visible in Windows Explorer.

I should have mentioned- my computer is a Compaq. I said I'd contact hp for disks only because hp does support for Compaq now that Compaq no longer exists. I looked for something similar to what you mentioned, but didn't find much. There is a C:\WINDOWS\system32\recover.exe Do you think this is the same thing?

It may be a mute point anyways. Yesterday I ran "reset internet explorer settings" (run -> Inetcpl.cpl -> advanced -> reset), and I haven't had the problem since. The problem is intermittent however, so it may be just coincidence.

Interestingly, "reset internet explorer settings" crashed the first time I ran it. That is to say, it hadn't completed after 5 minutes. When I checked task manager I found that my CPU usage was stuck at 100% but System Idle was the only process using it! What? Wierd but true. Then I ran reset under safe mode and it completed in less than two seconds without a hitch.

I'll post again when I'm more certain whether this worked.
bloodrider
Riick wrote:
Thanks for the tip, bloodrider. It would be nice if you are correct about the hidden partition. There's certainly no partition visible in Windows Explorer.

I should have mentioned- my computer is a Compaq. I said I'd contact hp for disks only because hp does support for Compaq now that Compaq no longer exists. I looked for something similar to what you mentioned, but didn't find much. There is a C:\WINDOWS\system32\recover.exe Do you think this is the same thing?

I thought it was an HP PC Embarassed

No it isn't.

Good Luck Wink
Riick
It looks like "reset internet explorer settings" worked. As I mentioned earlier, about a week ago I went to safe mode and did:
run -> Inetcpl.cpl -> advanced -> reset
Since then I have had no problems with internet explorer, media player, PC-cillin, or any of my other programs which connect to the internet. I guess there was something about those settings which was causing things to fail. By the way- I discovered this solution by using microsoft's site about troubleshooting internet explorer problems. I hate to admit it, but it turned out to be a fairly well-designed site in my opinion!

Many thanks to bloodrider; nice to have someone thinking about this with me!