FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Elevators

Futile
I find it funny that there is a post about escalators and I was getting on to post about elevators. I work in a building that has 4 elevators and I was wondering if anyone else finds it annoying and rude that when the elevator doors open the people waiting just barge right in and not wait to see if someone is getting off. There has been times when the person getting on the elevator will have attitude that the person getting off the elevator almost bumped into them getting off. I was always under the impression that getting the person getting off the elevator had “right of way”.
minty
Off subject a bit but next time you need to use an elevator to cross multiple floors, push both the floor number and the "close doors" button at the same time. It is supposed to keep the elevator from stopping at subsequent floors. This way you can get to your floor without any stops. Much much faster. It does not always work, but it is worth a shot nonetheless.

Also, not sure if it will work if other floors are previously pressed prior to you getting on???
m-productions
I find it very funny that you say this, as just a few days ago i was thinking the same thing, I work/worked at a mall, and had to use the elevarot to carry a larg cart of items up and down each day, people are just so dumb, the second it opens, they just WALK in and then are like WOW, all suprised that there are people trying to get it... its like DUH! i just dont get some people.
Afaceinthematrix
I'm rarely in elevators, but I find them to be fun. I always give the people getting off the right-of-way and I usually take it when I get off.
molif
yup me too.. i lived in 2nd floor.. so, i don need elevators, rather use the stairs to get into abit of exercising.. muahaha..
Insanity
I agree, and I believe the same thing happens with all sorts of things, like buses. When a bus stops, some people just barge in without checking to see if there is someone getting off, like an old lady carrying loads of bags or something.
cloudship
when the elevator is full, then the outsiders will have to wait till the insiders to get out Laughing

It's a matter of education and politeness of people who are using the elevator. Some are well educated and have good manner, some are just as rude as you can imagine.
bonestorm74
No I don't really find that. People around here seem to be pretty considerate in that regard, or they just figure it's easier to wait until the elevator is vacated than bustling with people trying to get out.
Aless
Take the stairs! That's what I think Smile.

Elevators are good for moving furniture or really tall buildings.
flowerpower
I know what you mean. This is really irritating! I work on the fifth floor and fortunately, most of the time, people wait outside while those in lifts got out. Nevertheless, there remain some black sheep. This is not only a question of politeness to let people out first; the lift's not going to close and move quicker anyway.

Quote:
you need to use an elevator to cross multiple floors, push both the floor number and the "close doors" button at the same time. It is supposed to keep the elevator from stopping at subsequent floors.

Thanks minty for this tip!

I'm bring off subject, but I want to point out a dreadful incident that had occurred some months lately in my town. A guy's leg got caught between the lift doors but the lift continued to move down some 7 floors! Of course, there was an investigation and a case on this afterward.
raine dragon
I have a lot of issues with the elevators in my apartment building. There are always a huge number of people crammed in at once when the shuttle arrives and the people getting off on the first few floors always elbow their way into the front of the boarding line. That means they are in the back corner of the elevator. So we all have to get out on each floor, because there isn't enough room to go past each other. You would think college students could figure this out better...
biljap
I use elevators very rarely; I don’t like them especially if I’m alone or if there is just few people… Anyway, I never had some problems but since I know for myself, there was always a “rule” that people who wants to get in should wait that those inside go out first. And that should be everywhere, especially in bus when there is crowed. It’s hard to go out of the bus if ten people try to get in even if they see you coming out. Sometimes it feels like they wouldn’t matter if you fall, they would go over you Sad
william
To be honest, I try to avoid elevators if the building is only a few floors, like the mall or a small office building. The reason being, they're all so slow. The only ones that run at a fairly decent speed are ones in tall hotel buildings, or some large offices. Generally, if it's not very crowded, I tend to take the escalator. Of course, I don't just ride the escalator, I run up. When an escalator is not around, and I don't have to go up too many floors, I take the stairs. It's just faster. It may take more energy, but time is money. Very Happy Now, when it's crowded, elevators can be annoying. Ever been crammed in the corner in an elevator where the weight limit has definitely surpassed? Not very comfortable. However, I rarely see people trying to barge into the elevator while you're trying to get out. Has happened a couple times, but it's not very common.

Anyway, in conclusion, I prefer the escalators or the stairs over the elevator, unless it's a relatively tall building or if I have something large that can't be taken on the stairs/escalators.
missdixy
I live in a twelve-story building and that happens all the time here. It's really worse with pretentious snobby college students though. But, since I only usually go to the third or fourth floors, I usually just take the stairs.
Thumpercats
I go to a building like four times a day and usually have to go to just the fourth flloor.. This is the slowest elevator of all time.. By the time it would take to go up to the fourth floor, you could've casually walked up the flight of stairs twice! I am the retard that will get on the elevator on the first floor and ride it up to second floor, or better yet whenever i pass the door when im leaving te building i will press the button and if i catch the elevator i will ride it down one floor. You can imagine the dismay of the other people in the elevator. I find it quite funny. They always get these looks on their faces of disapproval, and I laugh.
scotty
m-productions wrote:
I find it very funny that you say this, as just a few days ago i was thinking the same thing, I work/worked at a mall, and had to use the elevarot to carry a larg cart of items up and down each day, people are just so dumb, the second it opens, they just WALK in and then are like WOW, all suprised that there are people trying to get it... its like DUH! i just dont get some people.

The WOW reaction is so stereotypical of what happens, they always acted surprised when sometimes I wonder if they are just massive pricks who try and hide it by pretending they weren't expecting people to be in a machine that carries people up and down floors. DUH! Razz

The place where I work has two lifts (as they're called in Australia), of which the programming on them is mega stupid, one will sit there doing nothing most of the time while the other does all the work!
arquivo
yeah, thats bad... but one day perhaps the elevator is not there... the door opens, those people jump like animals and falling down...
I vote for less stupids on the world... hehe
djcaution
lol! Yea if they dont even look in case people are walking out imagine the elevator not even being there and them just walking into the elevator shaft hahaha thats rich
tony
Futile wrote:
I find it funny that there is a post about escalators and I was getting on to post about elevators. I work in a building that has 4 elevators and I was wondering if anyone else finds it annoying and rude that when the elevator doors open the people waiting just barge right in and not wait to see if someone is getting off. There has been times when the person getting on the elevator will have attitude that the person getting off the elevator almost bumped into them getting off. I was always under the impression that getting the person getting off the elevator had “right of way”.

Hahaha; that is funny! Yes!! I totally find that annoying too! (and a bit rude :p)

But i must admit that I have been that person too - I have done the same thing. I think it is just a psychological problem for all of us humanity. Sad thing but it must be true because it does happen oh so very often!

Great post idea!
hlavco
I think people getting off elevators should definitely have the right of way. I mean, it's not like they have any way of getting out of the way, whereas the people in the lobby can move off to the side and wait for them.

Last year I lived on the seventh story. The thing that bugged me was people taking the elevator to get from the first floor to the second. The stairs are probably faster in that case, and the elevator is slowed down for the people waiting to get to the higher floors.
tidruG
I haven't seen that happen much around me. But that may most likely be because I don't use elevators much. I live on the second floor, and we don't have an elevator installed, so I have to use the stairs (well, I could use the rope that hangs the basket down from my second floor home to my aunt's ground floor house which we use to pass things up or down, but that would take too much effort, and the rope's not strong enough).

I'm glad you posted this thread though. I reckon that at least those who hadn't perhaps thought about this before will think about it now. Maybe you're educating 4-5 people a week about this, and that's not bad at all, eh?
James007
Maybe we should make a topic about bananas? Bananas are cool too! Or oranges! Yes, we all loooove oranges.

Please talk about something useful.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-87490.html

-close-