FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows network without router or hub..

Diablosblizz
I was wondering if there is anyway I can get a network to work without a router or hub. I need to share files between two computers, as well as print things on one computer to the other one.

One computer is Windows XP Professional and the other is Windows Server 2003. I plan to have everything on the server and making XP connect to it.

Kind Regards.
badai
use a cross over cable

manually set the IP

on first PC,
IP 192.168.0.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

second PC
IP 192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0

if you give more information (like how you connect to Internet), more info can be provided. for now, your network (file and printer sharing) should run fine.
Diablosblizz
I am connected through a modem. One is a ethernet cable and one is a USB cable. (my ISP assigns two IP addresses)

I don't know what a cross over cable is, nor how to set the IP of my computer(s).
Pepijn
A crossoer cable is just a LAN cable with some wires changed zo some connection points are swiched. It's used to connect two computers so they can interact. I don't know if you have a 3rd network card but ou can put 2 network cards in the server and put your LAN cable to your router in 1 and to the other pc in 2... Then use static IP's to connect them...

Grtz,

Pepijn
AftershockVibe
Hmm... I'm not sure that your modem will allow connections to work like that.
Fortunately, there's an easy way to find out.

1.) Ensure that file sharing is enabled on both machines.
If you open a folder's properties and look under "sharing" there should be a tick box which will launch a wizard if this isn't enabled already. Restart if necessary.

2.) Look up computer A's IP.
There are loads of ways to do this but the easiest is to go to start > Run > "cmd". Then type "ipconfig" into the command prompt.

3.) Type into the address bar in windows explorer (or internet explorer) as "\\192.168.1.6\" or whatever your IP actually is.

If this doesn't work then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
kansloos
Or the modem should just be reconfigured...
I think what you are trying to do, can be done easily without rewiring, but to configure it might be a little tricky.

Do what AfterShockVibe sais and it should work.
Plus reconfigure your firewall to allow for Windows filesharing.
ftv_flung
hey, Diablosblizz - if you're still having trouble, here's a suggestion I made to another user with a similar problem (well... maybe my solution will just also solve yours!)

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-89450.html#746371