FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP and sub-interfaces

minty
So you know how you can add sub-interfaces on *Nix machines and most (if not all) routers. I was wondering if there was a way to do this with Windows XP SP2.

I am currently using Dynamips/Dynagen to simulate Cisco equipment to study for my CCNP BCMSN. However, I am also using it on a corporate network and do not want the to use the same IP scheme in the live network on the simulated network. Furthermore, I want my PC to communicate with the simulated network so that I can see the traffic using Wireshark, and I want to be connected to the corporate network so that I can look up some tutorials and get support live.

I found a way that is supposed to allow this, however it is currently not working. It involved adding new hardware, choosing a network interface card, and installing Microsoft's Loopback driver. This does let me configure a new LAN connection, however it does not communicate with the simulated/live networks.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or programs that will help me accomplish this?

Thanks,
--minty
minty
Just an FYI, I did resolve this issue. I used Microsoft's Loopback driver. I just had to restart my PC and I was able to communicate with my virtual network.