FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Nursing Good?

karrupin
I need help!!
Laughing

Okay, I'm 19 years old, and now I still cannot decide what course should i take..
After I graduated, I work part-time as an Estate Agents (and I hate it) while take my time to think what should i study..

But until now, I haven't come up with a conclusion.. I'm thinking of nursing, I loves those job that helps people.. but some of my friends told me it's too tough. . and they even say I won't be long in this nursing world.. is it true?

I have to come up with a decision soon, before March 2008, so I'll really appreciate if any of you can give me advice or maybe you can give other options for me. . Crying or Very sad
PennyLane
This is a hard one, cause I have the same problem as you do, beside that I'm a bit older (21).
You have to do what you really lik to do...
cloudship
I have a male friend studying nursing and doing practice in hospitals from time to time. Well, according to our discussion about the nursing job, it is a job done by angels and it is a most love giving and care delivering job in the world. Everyone needs help when they are sometime unable to do things, and nursing is just a job to enable your patient and help them through their tough time. Is there more glorious job and career than that? Oh ja, Florence Nightingale, a great legend to the whole human society.
karrupin
I don't know what is a nursing job like, but I really want a job that can help me people, I'm not rich, I can't do voluntary or donate money to poor people or to those people who need it. That is why I'm thinking to do nursing, since it is one of the noble job ^^
I feel very happy if I able to help people, I guess the problem is whether I mentally and physically ready with the nursing job Rolling Eyes
driftingfe3s
My mother is a nurse and she loves what she does. She meets all sorts of people and I can tell that the patients she takes care of really appreciate it. My brother is also aiming to become a nurse.

I graduated college with a BS in biology, and I'm thinking of going back to school, maybe go into nursing. Nursing is a job that is in demand right now so it will be easy to get a job and the pay is pretty good too, nursing school is pretty competitive right now though as many people are applying.

I think the best thing for you is to go to a hospital and try to volunteer and aks if you can follow a nurse around and help out to see if it is something that you would want to do.
loryl
I agree with driftingfe3s. Most hospitals have volunteering programs for students who want to go into health care. Note: volunteer in a city hospital will give you more experience than volunteering in a rural hospital. It also looks great on your resume. Smile

Nurses work long hours. I hear that shifts are 10 hours at the hospital I volunteer (but these nurses don't work every day). You may also be asked to fill in for another person; I've seen nurses work for 16 hours straight. Nursing isn't that tough. Most (full time) jobs in health care require long hours of work.
karrupin
yeah, that's a good idea too..
but I don't think here in my country they allow such thing.. in fact, I already apply in a nursing college, so far I haven't get any reply from them.. I really hope I get.. T.T
I am already 19 years old, I don't want to waste another year..
Bikerman
karrupin wrote:
but I don't think here in my country they allow such thing.. in fact, I already apply in a nursing college, so far I haven't get any reply from them.. I really hope I get.. T.T

Wow, you will soon be a pensioner...better get a move on. JOKING. Smile
At 19 I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do - I still didn't at 21. Don't be too hard on yourself. I eventually went into a 'caring' profession - teaching - but only after I had played around with other ideas and decided teaching was what I was good at. Nursing is a hard job (as are most of the 'caring' professions). My advice would be not to jump into it unless you are fairly sure it's what you want. I am sure that there will be voluntary work available in local hospitals - whatever country you come from - and that would certainly be the best way to test your 'vocation'.
TBSC
Bikerman wrote:
karrupin wrote:

Wow, you will soon be a pensioner...better get a move on. JOKING. Smile
At 19 I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do - I still didn't at 21. Don't be too hard on yourself. I eventually went into a 'caring' profession - teaching - but only after I had played around with other ideas and decided teaching was what I was good at. Nursing is a hard job (as are most of the 'caring' professions). My advice would be not to jump into it unless you are fairly sure it's what you want. I am sure that there will be voluntary work available in local hospitals - whatever country you come from - and that would certainly be the best way to test your 'vocation'.

I can tell you are a good teacher, by the way.
indianinworld
Which part of the world are you from ???
roninmedia
My aunt is a nurse and she enjoys the jobs. At times the hours can be awkward as she works on a weekly schedule. Each work week is different on how many hours and what times she works.

In the United States, you should have no problem finding a job. There is currently a large shortage in nurses. My cousin who came to America to study abroad switched to nursing because I believe there is a program involved with nursing that allows foreign students in the field to have an easier time applying to stay in the United States once they graduate.

And oh yes, the wage for being a nurse isn't so bad in the United States.
wuhan027
I think it's good for me.
Ghost Rider103
Just do what you think you want to do.

If you think you want to be in nursing, then go for it now, you don't want to wait too long, you want to start young, and gain as much expierence as you can.

But if you don't think your ready, I guess maybe you should wait. Just go with what you think is right, none of us can make your decision.

Good luck!
cvkien
follow your heart, think back what you can do, what is your talent. if you interested with it and you think after 30 years, what would you think about become a nurse. if you think that is ok, then choose it. other wise, think of others. after you make the choice, you would be hard to change.
nigam
Nursing is in demand now a days. Most Filipinos are taking up Nursing so that they can work abroad as well as a high paying job. Now, even old schools and new ones opened up college of Nursing because it is really latest trend in P.I
louiebaton
You should check out careers in healthcare.
mengshi200
If your heart feel happy,you worth to do.
ricardooliveira
Depends in what domain you are interested also, right?
ama201
that is good to know. my spouse is looking to become a registered nurse.
zimmer
to tell you honestly nursing is not good... DOCTOR is good.
D'Artagnan
zimmer wrote:
this is an stupendously misinformed opinion, nursing must not be a choice for frustrated Medical Doctors, it's has different responsabilities and oportunities ahead, in my opinion nurses requires much more of a human touch then physicians, since a doctor obligation requires him only to prescribe the treatment most times, where the nurses function is to apply and monitor the patient
Raandyy
I've worked at McDonald's for 3 years now and i am currently a manger being talkin to about gettin assistant. i actually really love my jobs. yeah it has those days where i just want to murder every single person there. but it has the better days where everything is sooo wicked. u ppl complain about being there 3 days and quitting but if u stuck around im sure u would realize that it's awesome. and if u say u can't get anything out of McDonalds..in grade 12 (last year) i did a project on McDonald's and called over 50 huge business' and found out that if someone applying for a job with them saw McDonald's on their resume then they would deff. pick them first. ( i didn't even mention that i worked at McDonald's when i called.) also i get paid to take firstaid lessons, my school will be paid for by them and all of this ither amazing stuff is this at the right place?
mukesh
Nursing is good in India. Many government vacancy in India. Many seats of governments which empty because seats is more than students. Doctors demand to much and seats is very less and students to much so compactions very hard of M.B.B.S. Seats.
mukesh
zimmer wrote:

Both are good and also depend of conditions. In my country many places where Governments monthly payments of doctors and nurse different very less.

In villages doctors demands less and nurse demand is more because doctors is costly then nurse so if we compare monthly income both then nurse income is high and doctor income is low.
pll
The best way to know is to try it. Few days. Nursing can be hard, but it's grateful when you come back home and you feel that you helped people all day long.
mshafiq
Nurses help people in every walk of life and in every part of business. it is very care demanding profession.if you are loving person and caring person then it is good for you.
because every patients demand love and care.
And nurses work in almost every aspect of life that one can imagine. Nurses work in doctor’s offices, clinics, schools, prisons, corporations, insurance companies, and in the homes of their patients, among many other settings. Nurses are involved in some way in almost every possible setting, and help people maintain their health or recover from illness.
kdm6791
Nursing is alot more than just caring and helping.

Someone with a servant's heart, patient and kind those are most important traits.

Then if you like the medical stuff- learning about the human body etc.

The rewarding part is making a difference and meeting new people, being appreciated.

Few things that didnt get mentioned:

Don't forget during those long hours could be on your feet for up to 3-4 hours at a time.

Patients are often easier to deal with than co-workers and families.
bufekur
zimmer wrote:

I think so...
Possum
My 2 favorite gov employees are Nurses and the police.. they have both helped me lots..

Begin a nurse is hard but real work...
mshafiq
Nursing is an emotionally fulfilling and rewarding career,Actually i like this profession.No doubt it is it is very hard job of taking care of some one who is sick and in need of help.you should be very polite and control your emotions when ever you are feeling some thing bad.
boinsterman
My mother is a nurse, as well as my step-niece, both at the regional hospital. While it can be a stressful vocation, especially because of the long and varied hours, I believe they find it worthwhile.
mshafiq
I like this profession but unfortunately i did not go there because i choose math subject.Nursing is very great profession as to feel the pain of other people and help them and care them.It is amazing and excellent.I love nursing.