FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Network Places Issue

Craeft
Hey everyone... could use a little help here.

We have a home network going here with 7 computers on the network. For a while, I couldn't even get into the workgroup via "My Network Places." I kept getting "server not available. I installed NetBUI (ICK) and now mine is showing up in the workgroup, but no others. I double and triple checked to make sure I was on the same workgroup as the others on the network, and I am. I can get in fine with a manual input of \\192.168.0.xxx, but not through My Network Places. Unfortunately, I THINK I need to get through via My Network Places in order to use a printer on the network. The printer is hosted off one of the other computers, so it does not have its own IP address. When I go to print to it from my PC, if I watch the spooling information, it appears as though it goes through and no errors are given, but it just never prints. However, it will print fine from any other station on the network. Firewall is open to my computer (which wouldn't matter anyway since I am getting through).
Also, though I can get in manually with \\192.168.0.xxx, I can not get in with \\hostname.
ashok
Try adding the printer using IP address instead of hostname and then give the print...

Regarding ip address vs host names, are all the computers in the same work group?
Craeft
ashok wrote:
Try adding the printer using IP address instead of hostname and then give the print...
Quote:
The printer is hosted off one of the other computers, so it does not have its own IP address. When I go to print to it from my PC, if I watch the spooling information, it appears as though it goes through and no errors are given, but it just never prints

Regarding ip address vs host names, are all the computers in the same work group?
Quote:
I double and triple checked to make sure I was on the same workgroup as the others on the network, and I am