FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Club (SEGA:ps3/360/pc)

haydxn
Anyone played this crazy game? It's a true arcade experience, although it's destined to be massively overlooked by people who either don't 'get' the concept, or people who just look at screenshots and make no effort to even discover that it has one.

It's a third person shooter (like gears of war), but it's really a full arcade-style points fest. It's made by the people who made Geometry Wars - if you've played that, you'll know how addictive going for a high-score against stupid odds can be. That's what this game is all about - there's a tournament mode (you have to start with), but the single-event mode is where the addiction lives... Try to beat the highscore within the rules of the game type [some are against the clock, some make you explode if you stray too far from an enclosed area for more than 5 seconds, etc], fail, try again.. get so close.. need to try one more time... and again... It's just so addictive!

The basic objective is to kill, and then kill again quickly before your combo bar ticks away. The higher your combo multiplier (incremented with each in-time kill), the more points you get, but the quicker the bar ticks down. It's miles away from most shooter games, where you have to cover and hide, or go for stretches without action.

I hate FPS-type shooter games. I couldn't understand why I was having so much fun playing this one, until my flatmate pointed out that it was like a game equivalent of the movie 'Crank' [IMO: BestFilmEver]. Once I realised that, it was all clear - pure adrenaline fueled nonsense. I've always wanted to know what it'd feel like to actually be in Chevy's situation [seriously, watch the film if you haven't!], and now, thanks to the club, I can go there whenever I like Smile