FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ebay & other online auction sites

woundedhealer
I've been buying and selling on Ebay for 4 years, but the fees have gone up so much that it's not worth selling there anymore. Ebay has raised the final value fees to 7.5% when an item sells for up to 29.99. On top of this, if you live in the UK or Ireland you have to pay Luxemburg VAT which is 15%. Ebay prefers buyers to pay through paypal, which means even more fees.

Many sellers are now giving other online auction sites a try, the most popular ones are Ebid, Tazbar, QXL & CQout. I'm giving Ebid & Tazbar a go, it doesn't cost anything to put items up for sale and their successful sellers fees are lower than feebay (ebay). There's no Luxemburg VAT to pay and they don't prefer paypal, which is good. I accept nochex (UK only), google checkout & pppay, all have lower fees than paypal.

Has anyone checked out other auction sites to ebay? If so, what's your opinion of them. If you haven't would you consider giving them a try?
missdixy
I use craiglist to sell some of my things locally.
woundedhealer
missdixy wrote:

I've not heard of that, is it local to your area or country?
missdixy
woundedhealer wrote:
missdixy wrote:

http://www.craigslist.org/
It's not local to my area or the the U.S. either, though I think it may be more popular here. Go to that link, on the right side choose your country and check it out see if you like it/if it's of any help to you.
woundedhealer
missdixy wrote:
woundedhealer wrote:
missdixy wrote:

http://www.craigslist.org/
It's not local to my area or the the U.S. either, though I think it may be more popular here. Go to that link, on the right side choose your country and check it out see if you like it/if it's of any help to you.

There's a city near me on it. I find it a bit confusing at a quick glance. I might have better look tomorrow
KatanaSky
i LOVE craigslist - I've better luck selling things locally as well. i've never sold anything on ebay but I purchased a few things (i think it's safe to say I'm addicted lol) i've sold books over amazon (they charge A LOT on commission fees). i've also dabbed into laundromatic.net.
m-productions
The small fees that ebay makes me pay when i get an item is fine for me, considering if it wasnt for ebays great site, i wouldnt be getting money for these old items anyone.

for example, if im done with a game, i can go to ebgames and turn it in for what... $5? and then they sell it for $45?? HUH, why dont i just sell it for $35 on ebay, then everyone wins. even with the fees that are deducted, thats a lot of xtra $$ that I wouldnt have had if it wasnt for ebay.
sjohnson
I've heard about the changes going on with Ebay. While I don't sell there, I have bought from people. It's a shame that they are getting so expensive. I know there are quite a few people who make and sell there art and it's hard enough bringing in income without all those fees. Hopefully someone else can pick up the slack.
standready
On ebay, many sellers add to the shipping cost to cover the fees they have to pay. So in the end buyers pay the fees + . An example: a single 1/64 scale diecast car - shipping is flat rate $6.50, cost them maybe $2 to actually ship. As with everything, "buyer beware"!
woundedhealer
standready wrote:
On ebay, many sellers add to the shipping cost to cover the fees they have to pay. So in the end buyers pay the fees + . An example: a single 1/64 scale diecast car - shipping is flat rate $6.50, cost them maybe $2 to actually ship. As with everything, "buyer beware"!

Although sellers aren't supposed to add fees to the shipping cost, it's often the only way they can make a profit. As well as postage costs, there's also the packaging and last time I checked Ebay allowed sellers to include a small amount to cover the time it takes to post items. I don't include this, I try and keep P&P prices down to encourage buyers.

Many sellers, including power sellers, are also selling on other sites, and some are moving all of their items. UK sellers on all auction sites have to register either as a business or private seller. Anyone who buys items to resell are supposed to register as a business, no matter how little they sell. This is in preperation of taxing online sellers, so sellers are looking at ways to cut their costs.
Davidgr1200
In Sweden we have Tradera
eday2010
Davidgr1200 wrote:
In Sweden we have Tradera

who is owned by eBay Razz
ashish2005
I have never traded through those online auction sites but I wanted to until I found out about feebay. And besides those sites require credits cards or paypal and I do not have both of them.
Aless
I generally like eBay, but their fees are a bit high for the casual seller. I mean, I sell cheap stuff sometimes worth less than 1 (usually just jewelry I've never worn or similar), so taking a 30p fee pretty much wipes out any profit. Not to mention the PayPal fees on top, so I barely make anything to get rid of this stuff. I'd be better off selling it a jumble sale or something...the only benefit is world-wide access...millions of people can potentially see your listing, which I guess increasing likelihood of sale despite the fees.
jsymac
Ebay seems to be getting a lot more expensive which is a shame.

A lot of the changes there making I think are for the worse with regards feedback etc, but a lot of people still use and I can't see any other site giving you access to as many buyers or sellers.
Gustavus
I'm a casual seller/buyer and I didn't have much of an issue with there fees Confused ......

I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account on another site, one which may either be less secure, or cause more hassle on my part. With eBay all I have to do is list my auction and wait for the time to be up. I've only had one buyer not pay me, but he was civil about it and eBay refunded me all the fees for that auction.

I like eBay and I'll settle with there fees for as long as I'm selling and buying stuff over the internet. Plus I'm in love with paypal, and eBay supports paypal. Smile
ankitdatashn
Though I have never purchased anything or bidded on any item on Ebay but I guess it would not be a fully secure or trustful sites. I have heard this from many people and also in news. Also who can guarantee that they will send you an item!!

I have but purchased Items from other websites. Before continuing I should tell everyone that I am from india and internet shopping is very less here. Also sometimes small fraud sites get set up, I know this happens in other countries too. I have purchased items from www.indiatimes.com. My experiance with them was mixed type. sometimes they have sent good items that can be sent by courier to friends and sometimes they have sent things that were half or in less quatity.
cloudship
Ebay was popular in China a few years ago. And after Taobao and Alibaba joined in the market, Ebay was then completely beaten by them, since Taobao is free to sellers and buyers, and Alibaba is setup firmly as a industrial business platform, so that the personal deal and industiral deal will not be mixed up and achieve better efficiency. And ebay has less and less customers and internet visits since then and now is just out of date and almost tided out of the market. However, there are many fake or defective stuffs sold on Taobao, one has to be cautious to pick the good and compare to what the other stores sell. It takes more time to do that, but it is the tradeoff for price. Someone just feel fun browsing for good quality-price ration stuffs there.
woundedhealer
Ebay has got higher fees than other auction sites. I've just taken advantage of Ebids half-price offer for life-time membership, it cost me 49.99. I can have up to 5 stores for no extra cost. The only sellers fees I have is 2% final sellers fees if I want to have a gallery image. If I don't want one I have no costs whatsoever.
I've recently had a message from Ebay to say that sellers with less than 100% feedback must offer paypal. I can see a time coming when certain people will only be allowed to accept paypal payments.
Although I do have 100% feedback I do offer paypal, it's my least prefered method of payment, and the one with the highest fees.