FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Marketing advice for my charity.

Silk2008
Hello all,

I am starting a non-profit organization that will use Network Marketing as a means to raise revenue for charitable causes. I need access to those that have experience with a MLM startup to consult with questions about structuring a compensation plan, pricing, legalities, and general pitfalls. Anyone here have that kind of expertise? Yes, I know there are consulting companies out there that specialize in this but they want way too much money for their services. I am starting a charity after all. Can anyone help?
scotty
If you are planning on starting a charity I think the first issue is to truly recognise that you are a non-profit organisation. MLM and advanced marketing techniques are really centred around turning a profit. Perhaps you should focus on your cause and ask for donations rather than advanced marketing! What causes are you planning on raising money for?
Silk2008
The whole motivation behind using network marketing is to generate revenues for the charity. I am so very tired of seeing charities beg. What if Microsoft or some other huge corporation were owned by a charity? No more begging!!! There are several multi-billion dollar network marketing companies out there and all of them are selling expensive potions and lotions. How big would they be if their product was changing the world for the better. If you want to know more, e-mail me and I'll explain. I can't do it here for fear of someone stealing my idea. But since you suggested it, would you like to donate the cash so I can get an attorney and get this thing off the ground Twisted Evil It's only $1800. Tax deductable too. Lol.
jpterri
This topic is very interesting to me. I have done a couple of non-traditional fundraising campaigns for charity. One campaign was to send out a fundraising letter notifying people that for a specified period of time, I would be donating a portion of revenues to a particular charity. This was sent to the mailing list of past and potential donors. Unlike begging, this letter invited people to use my services as opposed to someone else's, knowing that they would be supporting a good cause, without having to write an extra check.

The other campaign involved putting a banner on the website of a charity, which resulted in a donation everytime someone clicked through and made a purchase.

There are many creative ways to help charities, and many of them are business-enhancing as well. It is so much more rewarding to build "good deeds" into a business model. I'm all for profit, and adding tax-deductable fundraisers into the mix builds goodwill and it's fun.[/quote]
standready
Silk2008 wrote:
questions about structuring a compensation plan, pricing, legalities, and general pitfalls.

Sounds like you want to "profit" from a non-profit.
So many charitable organizations/foundations are in for their "skim" off the top that I find it difficult to part with my money knowing so little actually gets to the real need.
jpterri
Catt, I agree with you.

That's why I only support local organizations that I am either personally involved with, or I know who is running the organization and know exactly where the money goes. I do occasionally give money without knowing those things, but it really feels better when you know for sure that the donations are going for their intended purpose. Fortunately, where I live there are some very well run organizations that keep their overheads minimal, and really manage their resources well.

I think that personal knowledge, or referrals from trusted sources are a good way to find these charities.
Silk2008
I whole heartedly agree that people should support their local charities. But what I'm trying to do is a lot different. Please see my site to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. www.mymark.org
Let me know what you think. Very Happy Please keep in mind that I'm a newbie to web developement, and it's still under construction so go easy on me Laughing

You may say I'm a dreamer.......you know the rest.

BTW. There will be no "skimming" off the top. All profits realized by us will be donated to other organizations whose only needs are cold hard cash. I myself am not getting paid. The only thing deducted out of the proceeds will be the operating expenses. The point is to provide food and later on supplies to those that need materials, while generating a profit which will be donated to those that need only funding. My only motivation in this is to raise a hell of a lot of money and feed as many people as I can. We all know what's going on in the economy, what you may not know is that food banks are realizing greatly reduced contributions due to the cost of food. I want to change this. I believe with this system we could provide millions of meals. Let me know if you have questions. Thank you guys.

Just an update, I have now got it pretty close to what I want. Please let me know what you all think. Thank you.
akshar
why dont u watch a movie called 'pay it forward'. we here in India stated a charitable organization by taking a clue from this movie.

Idea was to help small time business man. We gave low interest loans. The debtor was supposed to pass on the interest to some other budding entrepreneur. The condition was that once he starts making profit he will pay our debt plus some interest and give equal amount of money to some other needy person.

That needy person will return the principal amount to his creditor but the interest will come to us.

The interest was half than what banks charged. No legal hussles were there. Since our organization was run by the most respected people in our are we were easily trusted,

It was a huge hit. We multiplied our corpse over 15 times in mere 19 month. The ROI for our organization was around 900percent.
nivinjoy
akshar wrote:
why dont u watch a movie called 'pay it forward'. we here in India stated a charitable organization by taking a clue from this movie.

Idea was to help small time business man. We gave low interest loans. The debtor was supposed to pass on the interest to some other budding entrepreneur. The condition was that once he starts making profit he will pay our debt plus some interest and give equal amount of money to some other needy person.

That needy person will return the principal amount to his creditor but the interest will come to us.

The interest was half than what banks charged. No legal hussles were there. Since our organization was run by the most respected people in our are we were easily trusted,

It was a huge hit. We multiplied our corpse over 15 times in mere 19 month. The ROI for our organization was around 900percent.

Where do you live in India..?? And what amount you used to give as loans..?? What was the highest amount that you gave...??
akshar
We live in a Goa near the border between Goa and Karnataka.
he amount was always 5k. It was carried out through a temple trust while the meetings took place quarterly.

The scheme is now stopped any ways.
Silk2008
Microloans if done well are indeed a great tool in fighting poverty. We all know the old saying, "Teach a man to fish." Once up and running my organization plans to use this tool very extensively. But for now I just want to address more pressing needs. It's kind of hard to run a small business when your belly is growling Crying or Very sad When we are ready we will consult and learn from those that have implemented that kind of program before. If anyone knows someone who is currently doing microloans successfully and wouldn't mind a newbie pestering them for information, please let me know for I will one day have many questions.

BTW pay it forward is a great movie!!! It is one of the inspirations for what I'm trying to do. Cool
gr8inferno
Running a Charity sometimes involves begging were you required to ask for donation. let me do some research and I'll get back to ya.