FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Linux WinXP boot question

mordi05
Hi.
I am going to install Ubuntu as a second OS on my Laptop, which is currently running XP.
Out of my 80 Gb hard disk I'm thinking 10Gb winXP, 20 Gb Ubuntu and the rest as a shared FAT32 partition.

Now my question is concerning the 1024 cylinder boot code limitation. I have problems understanding it. Will both my OS partitions need to start before the (in my case) 8 Gb limit?

In that case, it will be a problem for me. Also, if I move my windows partition beyond the limit to install Ubuntu, and it does not work, It will be a problem to move it back.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Ecthelion
Nah, as you will have grub install in your boot sector, it shouldn't be a problem.
Just put windows first on your disk, but ubuntu doesn't care, the grub loader will take care of everything ^^

Also, you don't really need to make your third partition a FAT32. You could just make it ext3 (which is what linux uses) and install ext3 drivers on windows. Works better.
[FuN]goku
yeah i've got a dual boot as well with windows xp and linux. I have 16 gig dedicated to my linux partition and the rest to my windows on a 60 gig hardrive.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Also, you don't really need to make your third partition a FAT32. You could just make it ext3 (which is what linux uses) and install ext3 drivers on windows. Works better.

Aren't the ext3 drivers for windows hell-of-a-flaky? IIRC, the ntfs-3g drivers for linu are better, but you're righ that FAT32 is basically a legacy FS.
Ecthelion
I've never had any problem with my ext3 drivers for windows.

But there are different versions, I guess I choose the good one (couldn't tell you wich one that was, though)

But fat32... I prefer to avoid it Smile
And it's better to set ext3 on windows then NTFS on ubuntu. That's my opinion.
Flarkis
I have the same thing on my computer a windows xp with a dual boot ubuntu. I have a 30gb partition for windows. A 40gb shared partition for media files and whatnot. Than a 10gb ext3 partition for ubuntu.

Works great for me