FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to avoid code theft

ptolomeo
I was about to build a webpage to sell some php packages made by me. My idea was to sell these scripts with paypal, but the following concern assaulted me. What if someone buy my cheap code and put it in another webpage for selling, how could I avoid to have someone doing that? is so easy that I imagine that right now there might be lots of webpages re-selling products made by someone else.

What do you think of that, should I be concerned?
brokenadvice
You could do something like

Code:

$allowed = "somedomain.com";
$url = $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];

if ($allowed == $url){

//The code//

}else{

echo "This script has been stolen from" $allowed "and was created by so and so. You can buy it here"
}

That code is complete garbage, I haven't coded in PHP forever, but the general idea should work.
cloudship
If the code is uniquely created by you and you want to reserve the right to use it anywhere, sell it as commercial product but not code snippets, and keep the deal with your customer according to a commercial agreement like "not for reselling purpose". And hide some signature in your code so that when you sue the one who has stolen your code, you can have conclusive evidence to show to the judge.