FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Share your horror story!

Diablosblizz
I don't know if anybody visits download.com to actually read their Horror Stories. If anybody does, and has actually tried writing one and they got denied then here is the place to write!

I will start off with mine:

Currently, I am on a laptop that I had just fixed. I didn't know much about the laptop except that I knew it had 3 viruses at the time I got it. This was all at school, I did some searches and in the long run I decided to download the trial version of NOD32 anti-virus. I convienced my friend to let me take the laptop home so I could have more time to work with it, I was surprized that he said yes.

While walking home, I was thinking of what I was going to do. I mean, if the viruses were running then they were unable to remove, right? Well, that wasn't my case. Anyways, I get home and thoughts flow into my head, well what if I do this or that. I decided that I needed a computer with actual internet to continue my progress. This computer was laggy, let me tell you that. It had 60 processes running using almost 350 mb of ram (on a 256 chip) and it was the laggiest thing I have ever seen. My friend had Spybot Search and Destory, so I decided to run that. I did a Imunize, and then a scan. I decided to stop the scan earily because of the horrible lag. It turned up at least 20 infections.

I restarted the computer in Safe Mode only to find out that I couldn't login to Safe Mode with my friends account, and neither of us knew the administrator password. Honestly, I tried some password cracking programs. Even if they did have viruses, this thing couldn't have goten any worse. Unfortunately, these were no luck. So, I restarted it back into Windows. I started to browse through some files only to find nothing.

Enough was enough, I was getting tried of the lag and decided to bring NOD32 into action. I didn't think that the installation would have worked, seeing that three viruses were noticable in the processes list. So, after installing I immediately started a virus scan and watched some TV waiting for it to finish. Well, watching TV didn't go so well. Every few seconds (yes seconds) I would be getting up to press "Delete" on NOD32 which was telling me that it found something, not in the scan but in general. Just when I thought it was safe, I would go back to my laziness on the sofa and all of a sudden a beep comes up. "DAMNIT!" is all you hear from the Basement. After the scan was finished with it's 127 viruses and trojans I restarted only to find the computer to be MUCH faster.

I was so happy that I had it half fixed. I decided to plug in my ethernet cable into the computer to update NOD32s virus defs. I thought my job was done, it's far from done.

Those nasty red evil screens started poping up again (basically as I write this) and now I plan to scan the computer again as the defs have been updated.

So what do I get out of this? I hope that he will pay me the 10 dollars that I asked for, and I got a virus filled USB stick. I plan to bring this to my school and format it there (they have deepfreeze so nothing will happen) and hopefully my was not infected when I plugged it in (stupid stupid mistake)

So in the long run, NOD32 owns all. If you have a story, than please share it as I would LOVE to hear the horror stories you have had with your computers.

Kind Regards!
escritor
Years ago I got a game. As it didn't work, I wanted to uninstall it, but it didn't have an automatic uninstaller... Then I used Windows Explorer to search and delete all files created on that day (it included some system files that are overwritten at each startup).

Result: next time I turned the PC on, Windows didn't load. An error appeared and I was very afraid. Fortunately my cousin fixed it and taught me about that.

Good old newbee times.
Diablosblizz
escritor wrote:
Years ago I got a game. As it didn't work, I wanted to uninstall it, but it didn't have an automatic uninstaller... Then I used Windows Explorer to search and delete all files created on that day (it included some system files that are overwritten at each startup).

Result: next time I turned the PC on, Windows didn't load. An error appeared and I was very afraid. Fortunately my cousin fixed it and taught me about that.

Good old newbee times.

What game was this? Short story, but still interesting to see how badly Windows can mess up. That is if you are using windows...
escritor
Diablosblizz wrote:
What game was this? Short story, but still interesting to see how badly Windows can mess up. That is if you are using windows...

I think it was Rise of Nations. I'm not sure if it didn't have a uninstaller. Maybe it crashed when I tried to use it... But the rest of my story was like that.
jmlworld
I have some shared folders in my PC where many network computers have to browse daily exchanging files and data. However, the rest of my PC is protected and I run a daily Kaspersky Anti Virus scan, however, 1 - 3 viruses mainly Trojans and Internet Worms daily. That's not strange coz, virus guys use new techniques to bring new or modified viruses daily.

My surprise was last night while I sat to scan my removable HardDisk which contaned 3 old buckups. Will you believe me if I tell you that I cought 4485 infected files. Damn! Though I could disinfect most of them, Anti Virus forced me to press his DELETE button after failing to disinfect many important files.

My Question here is, why Viruses? I read on WikiPedia that the most successful virus was the "I LOVE YOU SCRIPT" which carried the message "If I don't get a fair job, I'll release another virus which will distroy all the system folders"... Something like that.
escritor
Kaspersky is indeed a very powerful antivirus system. I think we learn from your story that we must use hose security programs scans also to check removable HardDisk, flashdrivers and so on.
jmlworld
Indeed, Escritor, Kaspersky is powerful, however, every powerful Anti Virus does nothing unless you update it periodically. Because viruses update themselves in the background without your notice.
escritor
jmlworld wrote:
Because viruses update themselves in the background without your notice.

Having also a good firewall would help avoiding that.