FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

bonsai trees

newso
does anybody here have any bonsai trees. or is anyone interested in them. I have a great one, one thats very rare simular to the one shown in the image below.

Its worth around $2000, i am looking to buy some different ones. Does anyone know any other rare types for which i should look out for.
gtherockgod
They look freakin sweet, but I could never justify spending that much on a plant. Now on a guitar maybe... Laughing
newso
gtherockgod wrote:
They look freakin sweet, but I could never justify spending that much on a plant. Now on a guitar maybe... Laughing

lol, well its because im into chinese culture. Although the one in the picture above is japanese, they still originated in china. Its just something i like doing.

That require a lot of hard work to keep them aswell.
Zombie
my sister got me one of these trees for christmas, i still haven't planted it because im afraid it'll die as i don't get much light in my cave...errr room
gtherockgod
newso wrote:
gtherockgod wrote:

lol, well its because im into chinese culture. Although the one in the picture above is japanese, they still originated in china. Its just something i like doing.

Naw i totally get and respect that. They are really awesome looking. How big do they usually tend to end up growingn to being? Do the leaves come in different colors? I dont know much about them.
molif
hmm... i wonder... wat so fascinating about bonsai plant..?
Futile
I have always wanted one but they are so expense and my green thumb is more like yellow and black for bio-hazard.
newso
gtherockgod wrote:

Naw i totally get and respect that. They are really awesome looking. How big do they usually tend to end up growingn to being? Do the leaves come in different colors? I dont know much about them.

they can actually grow quite big. There are quite a few colours, the main ones being green, red, yellow and purple and pink.

They are very hard to keep, if you have never growed one before then i suggest starting with one thats valued at about 50 rather than a rare one. They are all very high maintanence.

My one is quite rare, and was already 9 years old when i brought it. Ive had it for 2 years now, so mine is 11 years old.
kerryworkman
Sorry, I can't help, I don't know that much about them. Even though I enjoy the looking at them, my only experience with one ended up bad for the poor tree. Sad
airh3ad
My mother love bonsai trees its look great and a lot of time to develop the tree , well we have 3 bonsai now at our garden . bonsai is very expensive here but its beutiful when develop itand growing.
gtherockgod
newso wrote:
gtherockgod wrote:

they can actually grow quite big. There are quite a few colours, the main ones being green, red, yellow and purple and pink.

They are very hard to keep, if you have never growed one before then i suggest starting with one thats valued at about 50 rather than a rare one. They are all very high maintanence.

My one is quite rare, and was already 9 years old when i brought it. Ive had it for 2 years now, so mine is 11 years old.

what makes them so difficult to care for though?
Triffid
I've always liked bonsai trees, been thinking for a while if i should get one for my uni room.
Where would be the best place to purchase one and what exactly do you need to d with them in shape?
endless
bonsai trees are those small trees right?

i think my dad had one with purple leaves Rolling Eyes
gr8inferno
I wonder if you can cook 'em and eat 'em.
airh3ad
yes a small tress with branches and good to develop it.
newso
Triffid wrote:
I've always liked bonsai trees, been thinking for a while if i should get one for my uni room.
Where would be the best place to purchase one and what exactly do you need to d with them in shape?

the best place i think is from holland. They sell them cheaper than most places. Just do a google search for trees in holland.
driftingfe3s
Hey I have a bonsai tree I got about a year ago. It nothing rare, since I don't really want to invest crazy money for a bonsai. I got mine for fifteen dollars, its a small Juniper I picked up from a guy with a truck and a bunch of bonsais parked near a freeway entrace, hahah!

Anyways here's a picture of it a few weeks after I got it: http://photo.nathanchan.frih.net/index.php?showimage=67
watersoul
Bonsai is just the name for the art/craft of making a tree grow in miniature. It can be done with any tree apparently, I've only ever done it once, with an English Oak.
It was really easy, took an acorn in the Autumn, planted it, kept it alive for 2 years as a nice little sapling until Winter when it's supposed to be the least stressful time for the plant to be moved or interfered with.
This was the tricky bit - remove the little tree from it's pot and gently wash all the soil from the roots.
Find the major root in the middle (the thickest one) then cut it clean off leaving the stringy little roots spread outwards and flat around it.
Cover the roots with only an inch of new soil, I kept it very wet initially, a thin layer of stones on top, and then just the excitement of waiting until Spring to see if the tree hasn't died.

Sure enough, months later, my little Oak sprouted new leaves, but this time they were tiny as a bonsai tree should be. I used some wire to guide the little branches the shape I wanted and let it do it's thing from then on.

Devastated though... some thieving horrible person stole it from my garden a couple of years later!!! Arrrgh!!
tony
newso wrote:
gtherockgod wrote:

Whoa! Really? I always thought bonsai originated in Japan. Why the name? It is Japanese name...