FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is Valentines Day?

polly-gone
What is Valentines Day but a corrupt holiday solely developed by commercialization and marketing tactics? All it really, truly is, is a way to sell chocolates and candies and flowers and balloons! Sure, everyone is romantic on this day, but why can't everyone be romantic every day? Why do you need a day to show someone you care? Don't you think your girl friend would be more surprised if on May 3rd you showed up on her doorstep with flowers and a box of chocolates? She's expecting it today!

And by the way, today is NOT Valentines Day. Today is SAINT Valentine's Day. It is a Saint's day. Stand up right now, turn and walk to your calendar. See how it says "Valentines Day", rather than Saint Valentines Day? That is proof that this is actually a big commercialized scheme.

But, for you devout Christians out there, do not fear! It's still a church holiday! Sans the church.

-Nick Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Hammy
It is a day to question people hearts!! As much as it is a commercial advantage, it is a day that cld ultimately end in distaster for couples. Love, emotion and feelings are powful things to a human and can affect us in different ways.
Most people can feel loved but some are going to get disappointed and hurt.. like being torn between two people, both wanting answers. And to think that is this day hadnt happened, things would of drifted by as usual.

Theres alot of unofficial days around this time of year, it upsets me Sad. I mean, all hail pancake day, because what could go wrong there.. But valentines day!.. Why toy with love and emotion! it's uncalled for! Sad
sjohnson
Valentine's day is really just another day. I like the idea of being romantic every day. Unfortunately, my husband is not the romantic time. At all. He just isn't romantic. The only reason I even halfway want Valentine's day around is in the hopes that maybe some day he'll at least try to be romantic and Valentine's day will remind him somehow. It hasn't happened yet. I guess I'll just keep on wishing. Surprised
gtherockgod
Yeah, you can argue that Valentines Day is completely commercialized, and you'd like be right. But what holiday isnt these days? Christmas? Halloween? Nearly everything in society is commercial. Whether or not you choose to support the capitalist undertones of the holidays is up to you, but hey, it can be fun to spend some money for the holidays right?

I agree that if you care about a special someone, every day is a chance to share some romance. But hey, why not do something a little extra special for Valentines day, just for kicks and giggles.
polly-gone
But the way this holiday is commercialized is different. Easter and Christmas are all actually just commercialized traditions. Everything that happens around those times is based of a tradition. Halloween is a pagan holiday. It's near the end off fall, and it used to be a harvest feast. They avoided black cats because those are 'portals to the spirits.' Jack-o-lanterns are just modified Pagan lights. Trick or Treating comes from kids going door to door collecting excess fruits and vegetables for feasts that they would have!

But Valentines day... oh boy. Capitalists are capitalizing on people's emotions! Once I get a girlfriend, (I am desperately in the need for one! I am like Hitch. I can hook everyone up 'cept myself!) I know I will be awesome ever day of the year save St. Valentines Day. Then I will tone my gleaming awesomeness down on that day, in protest!

-Nick Razz Razz Razz
redchic
sjohnson wrote:
Valentine's day is really just another day. I like the idea of being romantic every day. Unfortunately, my husband is not the romantic time. At all. He just isn't romantic. The only reason I even halfway want Valentine's day around is in the hopes that maybe some day he'll at least try to be romantic and Valentine's day will remind him somehow. It hasn't happened yet. I guess I'll just keep on wishing. Surprised

could have written this post myself. right now i'm honestly a bit ticked at him because we spoke about it and sgreed he was going to plan the day and he did nothing!
rightclickscott
Who cares? I'm finally gettin' some.
gr8inferno
Is Saint Valentinus to be exact.
intruder_indeed
I've never known Valentines Day as an holiday, maybe I would like it more if it was and pay a bit more attention to it with a day off lol. It's just another day here for me and never even notice it at all. I suppose its for the young at heart and something one grows out of, but I could be wrong, thats just my perception of the whole thing.
Afaceinthematrix
All holidays are slowly becoming like that. I don't celebrate holidays anymore because they're all commercialized and no longer have any meaning.
skygaia
There are lots of special days now. I can't remember all days. in my country, every 14th is special day. most of them were made for commercial purposes. I don't like those days.
Nameless
Ah, Valentine's day. The day which simultaneously effectively forces love and gifts between couples, thereby removing any real meaning from them, attempts to demote anyone choosing to be single to pitiful, AND undoubtedly boosts the pay check of all florists. Isn't it wonderful? Smile
medievalman26
Singles awareness day...
redchic
valtenine's day is a holiday? where!
ankitdatashn
Different people take different things differentlty. If that is true then what difference the thinking of "valentines day" differently makes!! [Smile].
Thumpercats
Valentines day is nothing more than a hallmark holiday. It boosts their revenues for a quarter, because if men don't buy cards and candy ect. Then they will get scourned by their significant others. Valentines day is just an excuse for women to hound on thier men about not caring enough. lol..
BPrice
Quote:
Valentines day is just an excuse for women to hound on thier men about not caring enough.

I couldn't agree more with you. you have without a doubt hit the nail on the head with that one line of your post.
Zombie
valentines day is a time for couples to get together and... hey you knew where this was going, why'd you ask?
molif
like i said... valentines day is a just a day for an excuse to be intimate..

a pathetic excuse..

true love is about how u spend with ur loved ones every single day, not just on that stupid day..
m-productions
simply put, its a marketing holiday, like everything else, its nothing else. There is no reason to love anyone more on this day than any other day, if you do, your a fool.
hofodomo01
ah, <3 our corporate world. then again, if you don't pay attention to your girlfriend/wife even more on this day, they might get upset at you, no? Wink
eliteindia
The beginning of a new end. Laughing Huhhh some girls are really bad.I hate them.Others are good Wink
cloudship
It's a day for many peopel to think how much money they have and how much they are willing to spend for their girlfriend or boyfriend. Many people just celebrate it, in order to have one more day of fun, i guess.
conquerors
its a day very special for many
skygaia
It's the day for chocolate companies ove the world.
annapurnatraders
Its a day for love love love love love love love... and more love.