FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adobe Photoshop CS2 vs CS3

misterXY
i perfer CS2 and i have no real idea why people want to upgrade Question
Studio Madcrow
For Windows users, there's not all that much of a reason to switch, but for Mac users, there is: CS3 runs natively on Intel Macs, rather than having to rely on PowerPC emulation. The switch to native code, as you might expect, leads to a rather large performance boost.
misterXY
Studio Madcrow wrote:
For Windows users, there's not all that much of a reason to switch, but for Mac users, there is: CS3 runs natively on Intel Macs, rather than having to rely on PowerPC emulation. The switch to native code, as you might expect, leads to a rather large performance boost.

ahh so windows its pretty much more $ grab
Jaan
there's always the few tweaks and bugfixes, improved fx/layer styles options, etc etc.

For me it runs/opens a lot slower. But for most people, no reason to upgrade.
JayBee
Jaan wrote:
... But for most people, no reason to upgrade.

You should of course use Photoshop 5, because there is no reason to upgrade, only some bug fix and some enhancements. Very Happy

PS CS3 Has completely rewritten user interface. It could be hard to work with it for a while, but I thing it is good step. You can download trial version and try it yourself.
dude_xyx
I still stay with photoshop CS2 couse of two reasons.

01. It takes lot more resources ( like there should be at least 2 GB Ram )
02. Its expensive !

At the moment photoshop CS2 is more than enough for my current work. So i don't see a need to upgrade.
Boffel
Hey! CS3 got alot better userinterface, and when you use filters, it much easier to find the right effect.

Its also a new curve system and edit black and white colors is easier etc...

But its not very much tool change....

I dont know, but I think it got better suport for other file formats like inDesign, illustrator, flash and other things like that.

And it also got suport for 3d files. (dont know if cs2 has that, because I newer tested it)
PANTONEPIRATE
for the web it rocks.
this release was after adobe brought macromedia.
most of the tech that was in macromedias web suite is now in CS3.

I run CS2 but one of my friends runs CS3 I am going to change over soon.
makes building flash files and movies a lot easier.
snowboardalliance
JayBee wrote:
Jaan wrote:
... But for most people, no reason to upgrade.

You should of course use Photoshop 5, because there is no reason to upgrade, only some bug fix and some enhancements. Very Happy

PS CS3 Has completely rewritten user interface. It could be hard to work with it for a while, but I thing it is good step. You can download trial version and try it yourself.

Well it's probably better to upgrade every couple of versions, rather than from cs2 to cs3 (unless you really want to), and yes, using version 5 is just crazy.
aningbo
i assume you are probably happy with Microsoft paint lol... why Photoshop?

Photoshop Cs3 has lots of added advantages... can't post it here bt you can always google and find it out yourself. you may want to upgrade your system though. takes a little extra memory and slows down the system
Kelcey
Yeah, for my purposes I never noticed the difference between CS2 and CS3.
fadirocks
I skipped CS1 & 2 so got no clue how it got improved but anyways, i barely use it

I just use good old Macromedia Fireworks MX that just works for me and batch process is way easier Smile
r4inm4ker
Well, one of the advantages using CS3 is the ability to edit 32 bit images. I deal with 32 bit alot, especially when editing displacement maps for CG use. Also the interface feels more responsive compared to CS2(but it just my personal preference Smile ).
Studio Madcrow
r4inm4ker wrote:
Well, one of the advantages using CS3 is the ability to edit 32 bit images. I deal with 32 bit alot, especially when editing displacement maps for CG use. Also the interface feels more responsive compared to CS2(but it just my personal preference Smile ).

Hmm. By 32-bit, what do you mean? 32-bit-per-channel? I didn't even know those exists. If you mean 32-bit total (RGBa or CMYK at 8 bits per channel) then CS 2 can edit those just fine...
r4inm4ker
Studio Madcrow wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

Hmm. By 32-bit, what do you mean? 32-bit-per-channel? I didn't even know those exists. If you mean 32-bit total (RGBa or CMYK at 8 bits per channel) then CS 2 can edit those just fine...

Yeah, I mean 32-bit floating point - per Channel images.

"Enhanced 32-bit high dynamic range (HDR) support
Create and edit 32-bit images and combine multiple exposures into a single 32-bit image that preserves the full range of a scene from the deepest shadows to the brightest highlights. New image-processing and alignment algorithms deliver superior results. And with Photoshop CS3 Extended, you can even edit 32-bit images using brushes, filters, blending modes, transformations, selections, tools, aspect ratios, and more."
http://www.finalsense.com/software/graphic/adobe_photoshop.htm
garionw
dude_xyx wrote:
I still stay with photoshop CS2 couse of two reasons.

01. It takes lot more resources ( like there should be at least 2 GB Ram )
02. Its expensive !

I'm able to run it fine with 1gb of RAM (on Windows XP)

I'm new to PS though, so I'm still trying to get used to the interface. But for now Paint Shop Pro 7 does the trick for me
webmaster_cuernavaca
misterXY wrote:

well the difference is the integration with other adobe programs for examaple integration with flash, dreamweaver, fireworks and illustrator only copy and paste jejej is increible amigos es fabuloso jeje
Boffel
CS3 is alot different and alot better. You just has to get used with it, it will make it easier to paint and draw in photoshop.

Specially to draw filters. And layout is better + animation ++++

Just get used to it Very Happy
lethaltriad
It really depends on your needs for photoshop, I know for animation and such CS3 extended edition I hear kicks ass. I really jus love it for the interface options, black and white adjustment layers and minor tweaks here and there.. which pretty much makes it a better choice for me over cs2. If you dont need any of those newer funstions then cs2, cs or any earlier versions would be more than enough.
csoftdev
i don't see much of a difference between the two for what i need to do. perhaps certain people who need to use certain new features in cs3 might need it but i am strongly believe that you can achieve the samething in cs2 perhaps with more steps.
McHow2
I just had to work on a clients machine yesterday and found PS 6.0 installed. It just reminded me on how much has been developed in so little time. Sometimes it's funny to get confronted with the past this way and i'm happy with CS2... very happy!
dude_xyx
I found this photoshop CS3 portable version. 45 MB and it only has one exe file. Seems work fine.
R4J4H-D4T-808
i use Photoshop Adobe Fireworks CS3 and its well good i like it
swizzy
Boffel wrote:
Hey! CS3 got alot better userinterface, and when you use filters, it much easier to find the right effect.

Its also a new curve system and edit black and white colors is easier etc...

But its not very much tool change....

I dont know, but I think it got better suport for other file formats like inDesign, illustrator, flash and other things like that.

And it also got suport for 3d files. (dont know if cs2 has that, because I newer tested it)

exactly the new User Interface is very intuitive... and photoshop extended supports 3D too.
Indyan
Adobe has already released CS4, so may be now we should have a discussion on CS3 vs CS4. Very Happy
snowboardalliance
Indyan wrote:
Adobe has already released CS4, so may be now we should have a discussion on CS3 vs CS4. Very Happy

What? Like a beta you mean? I haven't heard of cs4
misterXY
snowboardalliance wrote:
Indyan wrote:

What? Like a beta you mean? I haven't heard of cs4

nor have l

Thank you for the user information, more then l thought l'd find Smile
osuchin
If the specification of your computer can support CS3, then use CS3. There are new features in CS3 that can't found in CS2.
Studio Madcrow
osuchin wrote:
If the specification of your computer can support CS3, then use CS3. There are new features in CS3 that can't found in CS2.

CS3 costs a ton of money, though. If CS2 is working for me and all, why should I spend extra money to upgrade?
r4inm4ker
osuchin wrote:

Of course there's new features, otherwise it wouldn't be called CS3 Very Happy
tdfranc
misterXY wrote:

I don't think CS3 is that much better than CS2,
and I see one big advantage for CS2,
you can run it out of the box with wine on linux and
with CS3 you can't do that.
Ghost Rider103
I wrote an article on this topic before actually.

It is kind of long, but it should really help in picking out the correct version of Adobe Photoshop for you.

http://studypark.site88.net/content/view/32/42/

I know it's long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible for new users.

Hope this helps.
Kelcey
I haven't seen any major differences between CS2 and CS3
Bengt
im a mac user and still using cs2 although im giving my system an upgrade soon with cs3 Smile
vvforgs
CS2 is better
Whzeb
CS2 is A LOT easier, and cs3 is harder to understand.
mgorelkin
I would love to get CS2 installed at home, I use it at work from time to time. At home I stick with gimp (also spelled F R E E).

Max
NewAgeDesigns
i have CS2 for windows...is there any reason for me to switch? Ive heard that there isnt much difference. But if there wasnt any difference, they wouldnt make another version right? ..i guess.. Lol
soljarag
I didnt notice anything different between CS2 and CS3 .. however CS4 is suppost to support multiple cores so that will be well worth the upgrade
bernardnapoleon
CS4 is just around the corner. try visiting http://www.photoshopcafe.com/ they have their a cool summary of new weapon that CS4 is carrying. it will leave the competition to dust, not that it has one. haha... joke.
moh853
I surely prefer CS3 cos it supports mask linking which is very important.