FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memories Sticks (Flash Drives) what do you use them for?

Diablosblizz
Hello, I just bought a 2GB flash drive (yeah I know it is small but it was a good deal) and I am wondering what I should do with it. I was originally going to use it for important documents from home to school, but I realized that I can just email them to myself via our First Class Server. Either way, I plan to keep the stick.

I was wondering what you guys used it for, maybe I can get some ideas on what I should do with it. Also, I have seen some flash drive monitors, where it helps you manager your Flash drive. I want one of those, but don't know how I can get it. The stick is a Dane-Elec with 2 GB.

Kind Regards!
Jaan
you can use it to keep personal files (encrypt it), or use portable apps (google it) from school or somewhere, for example I use xB Browser (portable, anonymous firefox) at school. There are portable apps of anything you can imagine, even photoshop.

Other than that, not much use, I don't use one.
kicy
If your a hacker type person you can keep all your suggestable software on there, or you could hold your games, music, videos, pictures, sometimes its good to have portable applications with you like if you like to program with other people's computers when your not at yours.

If your a dj, music producer you can keep your samples, riffs, beats, sounds with you everywhere you go Wink

Its also good when you wanna steal stuff from your friends computer, its also a lot faster then emailing yourself and you don't need internet connection

what I also used to do (when I had dial up) was go to my friends computer and download huge files, roms(public domain Wink, games like crazy since I had such a slow connection speed.
redchic
i have a 4 gig and i use it to transfer programs and keep alot of documents on them, pictures...
Diablosblizz
Okay, I have a new question though. My friend just bought a 512 MB one from his friend, and he knows that it is 512 MB in size (one it says it on the case, and two he has seen his friend use it) but when he plugs it into his computer it says it's only 50 MB in size?

What gives?
minty
Ensure that there is nothing installed upon the drive. If using Windows open cmd and goto to the drive letter associated with the drive. Type dir /s/a. This will display all files in all directories whether hidden, system files, or normal files.

Next, make sure that the box and labeling of the 512MB is accurate. Goto the run dialog and type compmgmt.msc. After it loads goto Disk Managment and locate the drive. This will show exactly how much space is located on the drive and all partitions located on it.

Finally, format the disk.

If it doesn't show the amount ofspace that is supposed to be there than I would recommend chucking it for it may be loaded with malicious software. Plus, to purchase a new 512MB stick is only a few bucks (I think $10).

--minty
Diablosblizz
I have the drive here with me, cause I am fixing it for him cause he doesn't know much about computers.

I have checked that the size on the drive says 512 and it does. I have went into Disc Manager and it says that it should be 50, as it says. I have formated the drive several times, and there is no malicious software because it was formated before he got it. (My friend watched him format it and I did a virus scan on it)

So I don't really know what to do at this point. Also, I checked the capacity on the format was correct and the max is says is 50 MB again.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a new drive, and the USB connector part is bent on the outside. If you need a picture I have one available for you.
PaiinKiilla
Well, I was ready to answer your first question with some ideas, and let’s not let them go to waste, so here are a few ideas, also, these ideas can change due to the speed of your flash drive:

-Put a portable OS on your flash drive and just have some fun while showing off
-Move a cracked game, such a Quake, onto your school’s computers and play against friends during class through LAN, or even, if your flash drive is fast enough, play it directly from it
-Get portable apps, which was recommended a lot, but I would recommend VLC Media Player so you can play any type of music of video without the pain of switching from program to program (both .aac and .wmv)
-Try installing programs and games onto the flash drive itself, you would be surprised about how many programs do not need to access the windows registry meaning that they can run directly off the flash drive with no problem at all
-Bring music from place to place to share and steal from others

As for the flash drive problem, that is odd, very odd. Not being really advanced in much, especially flash drives. It strikes me odd that it is 50mb formatted because most flash drive come in increments of 8, which that one would have probably been a 64mb if anything, but formatted, it should only drop about 4mbs, making it 60mb, not 50. The only probable answer, without actually looking into it and knowing what makes a flash drive go, is that the internals, based upon non-moving flash systems, are broken. Maybe, like RAM, it has several spots for the memory to be held, and most of those could have been damaged. This is probably absolutely wrong, but at least I tried.

-Cody T. (PaiinKiilla@aol.com)
Diablosblizz
PaiinKiilla wrote:
As for the flash drive problem, that is odd, very odd. Not being really advanced in much, especially flash drives. It strikes me odd that it is 50mb formatted because most flash drive come in increments of 8, which that one would have probably been a 64mb if anything, but formatted, it should only drop about 4mbs, making it 60mb, not 50. The only probable answer, without actually looking into it and knowing what makes a flash drive go, is that the internals, based upon non-moving flash systems, are broken. Maybe, like RAM, it has several spots for the memory to be held, and most of those could have been damaged. This is probably absolutely wrong, but at least I tried.

Actually that seems about right. Seeing that the drive does look pretty old and worn out. All and all, it's not mine and I will return it to it's owner and tell him the bad news.

Also, PaiinKiilla, welcome to Frihost!
PaiinKiilla
Thank you for the welcome Smile I wish I knew about a forum like this before, one that is not only fun, vast, and rewarding, but one where you are actually welcomed! Hope to be a help here and looking forward to helping anywhere and any way that I can.
alyer
I use 2GB Memory Stick Pro duo in my sony W5 compact still camera, 2GB Memory Stick Pro duo in my Sony A100 DSLR camera, 512 Mb SD card in a hand made polyphonic door bell. And going to buy 8 GB Flash Drive.
william
I have a 4 GB flash drive that I carry almost everywhere. I bought it for $40 (which was cheap at the time, it was 50% off). At one point, I needed to transfer some really large files, so I had to delete a lot of stuff off of it. But prior to that, I had a lot of stuff. Here's what I had:

-200 or so songs
-A couple seasons of TV shows
-A couple movies
-A LOT of portable applications*
-Documents
-Games (varied from Sudoku to 3D FPS)

*These included Firefox, Opera, Openoffice, VLC, Audacity, Filezilla, The GIMP, Pidgin, Skype, 7-Zip, and numerous others.

I don't have all this anymore, since I've never gotten around to restoring all of my stuff. One thing that annoys me is that the transfer speed is REALLY slow. I have some trouble running games off the flash drive, since loading takes awhile, but it's doable.

If the drive was a little faster, I would install Linux on it. I don't have any other large flash drives lying around, but flash based memory has become so cheap, I could just go out ant get more.
Diablosblizz
I put DSL on my Flash Drive and it ran pretty well. Sure it took 10 seconds to open up Firefox, but then again Firefox takes a minute to start up anyways. Right now, I am using Portable Apps which Jaan posted about. Also, Paiin, your welcome for your thank you for my welcome. Razz And yeah Frihost is an awesome community, and I hope you settle in to your liking!

Anyways, keep the suggestions coming as I need things to do with this thing!