FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do people hate Apple?

misterXY
hey just wondering how many people hate Apple?
i lost support w/ there latest itune update that screwed up on three of my xp's and a vista.
also they dropped support so quickly on my phone and designed it too suck. Evil or Very Mad
apple
Shocked for a moment there I was convinced you were talking about me! lol
Aredon
haha nice coincidence there! Personaly I can't say that I hate apple, but I do agree they have quite a bit of work to do if they want to compete with the gaming ability of windows.

I will say that apple is a much better OS for people that have no idea what they are doing. After all you open that random FW from someone you dont know, a virus jumps to your computer and dies instantly, because you're on a mac. Twisted Evil Other than that really no upside..
eday2010
Most likely because the software selection for both applications and games isn't nearly as varied as the selection for Windows. Plus Macs are expensive, and almost completely proprietary, so you can't open it up and fiddle wit hthe insides and makes changes and upgrades the same way you could on a Windows PC.
misterXY
apple wrote:

lmao!!! Laughing
Shewolf
eday2010 wrote:
...and almost completely proprietary, so you can't open it up and fiddle wit hthe insides and makes changes and upgrades the same way you could on a Windows PC.

Of course you can, I know a lot of people who did. And their computers are still "alive".

Anyway, I don't hate apple, not at all. But I do see why people might:
Their support-system is rather funny, and you are sure not to get anyone you can talk to if you call them. At least no one who can help you.
They have big "keeping the right of (non-) copyright" stuff in most of their programs. (Ok, I am not defending piracy, but what if you want to take a picture of your screen, to keep it as a personal desktop picture, or something?)
In small countries they have very poor support, and barely any places or people who can tell you anything about their products. And when you find someone, he or she might not be very helpful.
And, they advertise themselves as something "special", when having a apple-thingy bacame quite common just a couple of years ago.

And just for you information, I am writing this post on a MacBook Wink
gtherockgod
Shewolf wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
...and almost completely proprietary, so you can't open it up and fiddle wit hthe insides and makes changes and upgrades the same way you could on a Windows PC.

Of course you can, I know a lot of people who did. And their computers are still "alive".

Anyway, I don't hate apple, not at all. But I do see why people might:
Their support-system is rather funny, and you are sure not to get anyone you can talk to if you call them. At least no one who can help you.
They have big "keeping the right of (non-) copyright" stuff in most of their programs. (Ok, I am not defending piracy, but what if you want to take a picture of your screen, to keep it as a personal desktop picture, or something?)
In small countries they have very poor support, and barely any places or people who can tell you anything about their products. And when you find someone, he or she might not be very helpful.
And, they advertise themselves as something "special", when having a apple-thingy bacame quite common just a couple of years ago.

And just for you information, I am writing this post on a MacBook Wink

I love MacBooks. if i were to buy a laptop I'd likely get one. They are expensive and all, but i dont have any problems with Apple, the products are good. I love my iPod, but i could do without iTunes. Winamp is still better in my books.
Liu
I just don't like the fact that they're so trendy looking. They don't look professional enough for me to use for work.
gtherockgod
Liu wrote:
I just don't like the fact that they're so trendy looking. They don't look professional enough for me to use for work.

really? i think they look more organized, sleek and professional than PCs do. Unless you mean they just stick out like a sore thumb when the workplace is dominated by PCs.
filet
the other day i helped my cousin troubleshoot his apple imac just bought that day and we explored the whole thing...when he tried to shut down the mac..there this message said that we have to force an app to shut down..tried with the instruction(using the manual that came with the new purchase) brute force shut down baaah still cannot shut down..what i do later was just shut down with the button on the imac...stupid imac!!! cant believe just use it on the day he bought it...disappointed ...find it very confusing to use it...
Liu
gtherockgod wrote:

really? i think they look more organized, sleek and professional than PCs do. Unless you mean they just stick out like a sore thumb when the workplace is dominated by PCs.

I associate black laptops with professional looking; at least in the IT/CS/Engineering world. I'm sure in the art/design world, macs would be more prominent and considered professional there. Mac puts a lot more effort into aesthetic appeal, which is why you see a lot more different colors out there than the standards.

Whenever I see macs out in the public, I usually see it at a star bucks where people are just there to be "seen".
mOrpheuS
I can't say I hate Apple, especially as I haven't used them much.
I do know of their marketing strategy, though. Wink

Read the article here (notice the ambiguous URL) - http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

That article is supposed to be an apology from Apple for having shipped a few video iPods preloaded with a virus.
No wonder they sound like this -
Quote:
As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses

Rolling Eyes
ankitdatashn
On reading the title for a moment I thought you were referring to the apple fruit.....lols!!.

But as far as the real topic goes I haven't experianced the real apple mania as it might be in other parts of the world, coz apple products are not too common here in india, I haven't seen a single macintosh uptill now.

P.S.:I hope macintosh computers are from apple company, aren't they??
jcnet
Basically, I don't hate apple.. I am a fan of Apple computers.. I love its PC and iPod... Itunes helps me a lot in podcasts... I just worry coz i dont have an iPod...

But , iMac doesn't have a good compatibility as many don't use iMac compared to Windows...

Why do one need to hate Apple if it features many services like these...

So I just love Apple....

According to me , Apple is a good competitor for Google and Microsoft......

Thats it.......

=========
Have fun...
-Joseph
========= Arrow Arrow
rightclickscott
apple wrote:

I know I hate you.

Little known fact about me, I use Mac computers. Despite my username, I actually use a wireless keyboard and mouse, the mouse having two buttons, unlike the traditional Mac mouses. I have no problem with Macs, except that their mac vs. pc ads turn customers off to their products. Other than that, I'd say they have great taste when it comes to music placement in their advertisements.
erlendhg
Personally I do not hate Apple or Mac.
I prefer Windows (read XP, not Windows Vista), since I see many thing that works better for me there than on a Mac.

What I really dislike, is when Apple fans go fanatic, and adore Apple as a sort of religion.
Comments like "Pc and Microsoft is sh*t because it just sucks" is typical examples of this.
Also I hate when Windows fans in the same way attack Mac fans.

Why can't everyone be like Linux fans? I never see such rude discussion from Linux fans, as from Mac and Pc fans Razz
Aless
I love Apple! As a temp, I have worked in a wide variety of offices with both Apple and PC computers. I much prefer working with Macs, as they DO have a tendency to crash less, have less issues, etc. They're not perfect - no computer is - but they are very sleek and professional. The layout of OSX is much more user-friendly than Windows XP. If you look at Windows Vista, a lot of the ideas there came so obviously from OSX's layout design. This is quite obvious and good proof that the OSX layout is both highly desired and efficient!!

Not to mention Apples are just plain sexy...or maybe that's just me. With the advent of the MacBook Air, Apple is clearly on the edge of technological innovations. Now if only they weren't so bloody expensive, I would actually OWN one rather than living vicariously through my various work computers. The cheapest one here is £699, which isn't TOO bad, but still steep enough that I continue to type away on my 2-year old Toshiba laptop Smile.
hofodomo01
Wait, who hates apple? I like their products; they're nice.
Even though im a windows user (and I'm plenty happy with windows), I kind of wished I had a mac?
coolclay
I dislike everything about Apple, and Macs. They are the most poorly and cheaply designed computers I have ever worked with, and they cost the most. I was given a 3 year old Imac once and just about everything on it didn't work. The hard drive was having issues, the stupid like slideing CD drive didn't "suck" cd's in anymore. It wouldn't even startup anymore so I just reinstalled the OS and sold it for $75 .

A friend asked me the other day if I could replace a hard drive in their IBook, I said sure hard drives are quick and easy. Well apparently on every other laptop I took apart it was easy. I have taken apart HP's, Compaq's, and IBM's, and the Hard drives were easily replaceable and accessible. Why shouldn't they be accessible, they are the most common item to fail.

Anyway, after disassembling this stupid Ibook for 2 hours just to get at the hard drive, I had a pile of like 50 screws, of all different sizes. Finally I got the new hard drive in, and put all back together. Then I realized that the power adapter wasn't making good contact anymore, and the computer wouldn't even start up. SO I had to take it all back apart to solder the plug adapter back onto the motherboard. After spending about 7 hours on a job that would have taken me 30 seconds, and 1 screw on my IBM. I had the stupid beast running again.

My IBM has a cover and one screw and the hard drive slides right out. Freaking Apple had to bury the hard drive as deep into the laptop as they possibly could so you have to practically disassemble everything to get at it. I am pretty sure monkeys design most of Apples products.

All the Macs I have seen have cases completely made of cheap plastic, and are so cheaply made in all aspects it is disgusting how much they sell them for. Not to mention all the compatibility issues, and program issues, and AAHHHHHHHHHH why would anyone in there right mind buy a MAC!!!
andy26
Hmmm im a real apple hater and always have been, i think iv always hated there limited capability to almost everything, i especialy hate the way they have got people thinking that an ipod is not a mp3 player its something much more superia, which i dont think it is at all. infact im going to leave this conversation before i start ranting on about apple too much.
friuser
I wouldn't use hate apple but in my view apple marketing has perpetuated the myth that it is liberating, superior, and oftentimes more secure than windows pc which is not the case oftentimes. I actually like apple since osx came out and have a few apple computers including the mac mini which is my favorite. Then there are the apple fanatics which are insanely inane but you can't deny they make some really excellent products with a mint price to boot.

lol. I just read coolclay and had the exact experience. Only thing I was able to access was the airport and got completely confused how to access the harddrive that I didn't even dare try as it was so tight, I was sure to break something in attempting to locate it.
coolclay
I wish I had made that decision lol! It'll take a whole lot of money before I ever work on a Apple again.
misterXY
andy26 wrote:
Hmmm im a real apple hater and always have been, i think iv always hated there limited capability to almost everything, i especialy hate the way they have got people thinking that an ipod is not a mp3 player its something much more superia, which i dont think it is at all. infact im going to leave this conversation before i start ranting on about apple too much.

my ZenV (didnt buy the plus, kinda stupid and impatient since it was sold out) for only 60bucks and i can do sooo much more then any ipod can ever do.
Record Memos
Line-In Microphone
Smart Volume
The program ( Creative MediaPlayer 5 ) has literly a BILLION different options.
if you have the plus for an extra twenty$ you can play videos, and it has a video converter and all.
Creative is amazing. Shocked
iPods Suck.
william
Hmm...hatred towards Apple. Well, like all companies, when they release a new product, I always give them the benefit of the doubt. I try my best not to "hate" a company and examine any new products they release. Unfortunately, with Apple, none of their products appeal to me. Most of their products are hype. There are various reasons as to why many of these products don't appeal to me. I'll give some examples.

iPhone: Besides a fun interface, what more does it have? It lacks so much that just a normal phone would have. I was interested in it when I saw the keynote, but since then, I never really saw why it was so great.

Macbook Air: Super thin. What else? It's like taking a Hummer and putting on scooter wheels. Mediocre performance, overpriced, lack of features, no upgrades, runs Vista better than it runs OS X. With the Lenovo X300 on the horizon, no reason to get this thing.

OS X: Seriously, I've used it, but see nothing great about it. I have Linux to do most of tasks, and any other programs I need run on Windows just fine. I didn't like OS X at all. But, I will say this is one of their better products.

Computers in general: I don't quite see what's so great about these computers. Two of their desktops use notebook parts, and their Mac Pro isn't meant for the consumer. They're just far too underpowered for my tastes.

iPod: Let's not go there. Sure, Apple was the one that brought this portable media device market to where it is today. But I can see far better products from Creative, Archos, Cowon, and even Microsoft.

Overall, I don't hate Apple. But their products are always hype at a premium price tag. Underpowered, overpriced. Sure, they've got some pretty nice things, The OS isn't bad...just not to my tastes. Some of their software apps are also pretty good.

There is one thing that I do dislike though, and that's Apple fanboys. Sorry, but some of them can just keep talking and talking and talking, without any real reasons along with made-up facts about Apple products. Some are just biased that they don't care to look at other products, and minor things that Apple may have the edge in (like running OS X natively) they use to bash others. Not everyone is like this, but I've met a couple who are.
Donutey
Apple creates well designed and good looking computers, for the most part. What makes me mad, is that apple could so easily include more features in their laptops that any other laptop has, with minimal or no impact on the "look"

For instance the current macbook only has two usb ports, no expresscard port, and no card reader. My (lowend) lenovo 3000 laptop has all these things, in addition to (ironically) a firewire port and a modem. Apple could so easily make its laptops on the same level as a thinkpad, with their trademark excellent design to boot.
bulek
I think that people hate Apple because they can't afford their products so that's why they blame it. Apple is undoubtedly something special and represents high quality, modern designs and great interface. But on the other hand, their products are also synonym for high prices.
Liu
bulek wrote:
I think that people hate Apple because they can't afford their products so that's why they blame it. Apple is undoubtedly something special and represents high quality, modern designs and great interface. But on the other hand, their products are also synonym for high prices.

I really highly doubt this. Apple prices are comparable to any other laptop.
scotty
The professionalism of an Apple laptop getting questioned is a bit funny if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned, unless your job specifically requires the use of a windows PC (not even emulating it on a Mac) I feel the appearance of the computer has more to do with personality than professionalism. Everybody has a Dell laptop. You can beat that company when it comes to the business model, however buying one is quite unimaginative. You know it will work just about as good as any of the others, but that lure comes from the fact everybody has one. A Mac on the other hand used to be the complete opposite, you would buy a Mac to make a statement. Now its less so but still I have a lot of respect for those that take the plunge and go to a Mac system (I'm considering doing it myself). If you make the effort to ensure compatibility and that your Mac can do everything your PC did, I admire that. We can't argue the productivity benefits of owning a Mac, things are simpler and they do have the tendency to work. So the notion that a Mac exudes an unprofessional image to me is a bit of a joke, it is a laptop. The personality indicator is has is fair more significant and it says a lot about the "efficiency" of the owner. (Or style these days Razz)
the-guide
I never hate Apple and never heard who said like that.
Mazty
Well, I prefer XP/Vista when it comes to decision... However, Apple isn't "bad" in my opinion, you just got to pick your favourite =) I would never choose Linux either, so I don't think it's Apple's fault, I grew up with Windows, so I'll stick to it! =)
misterXY
Liu wrote:
bulek wrote:

I really highly doubt this. Apple prices are comparable to any other laptop.

Agreed, i dont know who can say a professional laptop is cheaper then a mac, go to Lenivo Thinkpad and look at there prices.. or AlienWare... Shocked
Sphaerenkern
People hate Apple for the same reasons why people hate microsoft: Arrogance, peer pressure or just pure stupidity. Or, what seems to be the case sometimes, people think all apple users are fanboys and hate microsoft, so they have to say something before the fanboys can say something 'bout their mac.
As I often mention, I use macs myself but I think both apple-haters and microsoft-haters are dumb/arrogant/both.
misterXY
Sphaerenkern wrote:
People hate Apple for the same reasons why people hate microsoft: Arrogance, peer pressure or just pure stupidity. Or, what seems to be the case sometimes, people think all apple users are fanboys and hate microsoft, so they have to say something before the fanboys can say something 'bout their mac.
As I often mention, I use macs myself but I think both apple-haters and microsoft-haters are dumb/arrogant/both.

pc redneck?
David_Pardy
You spend more money on a tackier product with less features, options and which will ultimately cost you more money in the long run.

And I'm all but certain that all the old reasons to have a Mac (photo editing, film) have now died off.

By the way, I've seen a CLEAN installation of OS X + Leopard emulate Windows XP, and be unable to emulate a program using the MIDI device correctly. I think that's pretty pathetic.
jylan
misterXY wrote:
i lost support w/ there latest itune update that screwed up on three of my xp's and a vista.
also they dropped support so quickly on my phone and designed it too suck. Evil or Very Mad

I don't think many people do hate apple Confused . I use an Apple eMac and haven't had any major problems with it since we got it 4+ years ago.
Zombie
i don't know why people hate apple but i personally think they are good at what they do, their os is optimized for multimedia, which is why i think most people who use it are into video editing etc...
misterXY
i used to be friends w/ a kid attending school in Toronto, Ont. Canada.
About 6000$ into his pc... he said not even his college or w/e accepts mac cause its overprice, over hyped n too many issues..... this is a film & design school.... Shocked
kerryworkman
apple wrote:

Hahahahahahhaha!!!!!!! Smile
kerryworkman
misterXY wrote:

I think people hate Apple because they suck ..... You can't really say it is just apple, I have problems with Windows programs and accesories too. I think it all just boils down to what you are comfprtable with and what will do what you need it to do. In my experience, I just can't get a Mac to do what I tell it to, which frustrates me and drives me back to the pc. I can't blame it all on mac, but I want to.
noirtier
I don't HATE apple, but I do think it ridiculous that people buy into them being any less corporate than Microsoft. They make pretty things, but they also make things that have built in obsolescence and they are too expensive.

I don't have an Ipod, I have a Creative Zen and I will not buy an Apple product out of indignation at the way they force you to use Itunes.
gtherockgod
noirtier wrote:
I don't HATE apple, but I do think it ridiculous that people buy into them being any less corporate than Microsoft. They make pretty things, but they also make things that have built in obsolescence and they are too expensive.

I don't have an Ipod, I have a Creative Zen and I will not buy an Apple product out of indignation at the way they force you to use Itunes.

Aren't there other programs that now have the capability to synchronize ipods? I've heard winamp has that function now. I've gotten used to using iTunes even though there's a bunch of features i don't like.
MunMun2o2o
I hate Apple because they are expensive and sometimes the things wont work.
Whong
I don't hate Apple, but I'd wish their products would be much cheaper.

For example a Mac Pro costs over 2500$ just with the basic components and if you modify it to be better the price will easily go to nearly 5000 - 7000$. Shocked Mad
Davidgr1200
I don't hate Apple, I just think that their computers are poor value for money compared to PCs. There are problems with games as well. If you're not going to run games then a linux machine is far cheaper. If you are going to play games then a windows machine is far cheaper.
ThornsOfSorrow
jylan wrote:
I don't think many people do hate apple Confused . I use an Apple eMac and haven't had any major problems with it since we got it 4+ years ago.

There's an eMac in my home as well. I haven't used it much since I got my MacBook Pro almost 2 years ago, but these are both excellent computers. The eMac needed to be fixed recently, but we shipped it out, and it came back as good as new.

We also have an old iMac (one of the colorful ones), which honestly isn't great, but the fact that it's still running after many years shows that Apple did something right, even with that old thing.

To answer the question:

From what I've observed, most of the people who dislike Apple are the people who don't actually own one of their computers (or who have never even used one at all). I always hear things like, "No one makes software for Macs", "They're too expensive", "You can't right click", and "iPhones are horrible".

It's true that it could be tough to find software for a Mac, but if that's really important to someone, he or she can always purchase "Boot Camp", which will allow Windows (and obviously Windows programs) to be run on an Apple computer. I've never tried this myself, so I can't vouch for it's reliability, but I've never heard anything negative about it so far.

As far as Apple's products being too expensive, it costs a lot of money to make a good product. I wouldn't doubt that Apple is making slightly more profit per computer than Microsoft, but even if they are, I think my MacBook Pro is definitely worth the $2000 price tag. If that's what it takes to maintain a great company like Apple, than I have no problem paying more than what most consider to be a "fair price". You get what you pay for...

...unless you're talking about the iPhone. I don't have one, but I played around with one in the Apple store. It was hideously slow, and ridiculously expensive. However, it was probably expensive to manufacture as well, even if it didn't turn out as well as planned. It's important to remember that this is Apple's first cell phone. I'm sure that none of the other phone companies had a very good first effort either. At least Apple was innovative (as always) by trying to make their product different. It might take a while, but they'll improve.

As for the right click, that can be acomplished by holding the control ("ctrl") key and clicking. I don't understand why Mac mouses only have one button, but the extra step required to "right click" with one button really doesn't take that much effort.

While this has turned into an argument for why people shouldn't hate Apple, I know they're not perfect (no company is), but I've been using their products for my entire life. I won't go near a PC unless I absolutely need to, but everyone has his or her own personal preferences. I just happen to love my Macs. Razz
Davidgr1200
Quote:
You get what you pay for...

When buying a MAC you pay quite a lot for the name
PatTheGreat42

I'll tell you why.

You may think it's their brightly colored products. You may think it's their insidious headphones all over the place. You may think it involves some woman throwing a sledgehammer at a screen.

But you'd be wrong.

People hate Apple for what Apple is: hippies.

Apple computers are hippy computers. That's undeniable. When was the last time you saw anybody using an Apple that wasn't also smoking weed? Never. Because Apple computers are hippy computers used by hippies. And hippies smoke weed. Facts of life my boy.

Darn hippy computers.
misterXY
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
It's important to remember that this is Apple's first cell phone. I'm sure that none of the other phone companies had a very good first effort either. At least Apple was innovative (as always) by trying to make their product different. It might take a while, but they'll improve.

THEY had a first... with Motorolla.. and the same night they revealed it they also had the nano's... i DONT trust and never will trust apple ever again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_ROKR
Yes i bought this phone, wasn't cheap and it turned out that apple was HORRIBLE on it. now the iphone isn't good? what a shocker! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
cloudship
virus is selective to more popular platforms. No one is willing to design a virus just in order infect one or several machines with the operator bearing no idea what a virus is. That is far less fun than to crack the firewall and anti-virus software and find the little tiny leak of the system and break through. haha, well, that's just my guess, i'm no hacker so no way can i tell that. But I do not like the operation in Mac, which is no way competitive to Windows, with abundant choices of software and games at hand. Though the interface is cooler, i get bored at the same style since a long time ago. But in windows, you can tweak the interface in whichever way you like, with the help of some software and theme packages. And a Windows system runs much faster than a Mac system, if installed on machines of the same hardware, due to my experience. Then, for me, Mac stands for expensive, showing off, however accessory.
misterXY
cloudship wrote:
But in windows, you can tweak the interface in whichever way you like, with the help of some software and theme packages.

Try Linux, everything can be edit:D
Liu
misterXY wrote:

Agreed. Ubuntu for the win.
biljap
I don’t hate Apple… To be sincere, I don’t even know how it looks like or anything about it.
misterXY
Liu wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Agreed. Ubuntu for the win.

Ubuntu ran into problems with me, try uninstalling it.
Just do it, watch how hard it is. i needed to uninstall it cause i was moving and etc. Shocked
standready
I love Apples especially Golden Delicious! Oops, bad apple, never mind.
misterXY
standready wrote:
I love Apples especially Golden Delicious! Oops, bad apple, never mind.

lol random
Liu
misterXY wrote:

Just do it, watch how hard it is. i needed to uninstall it cause i was moving and etc. Shocked

Moving?
coolclay
For you Apple lovers out their I beg you, read my first post, and change your evil ways before its too late. If you've ever seen what Apples are made of inside and how crappily designed they are, and how cheaply they are made using sweatshop child labor in China and Taiwan you'd change your mind about how "great" they are.
molif
i don't hate anything.. I just buy things that are good yet cheap... like lenovo..
MaxStirner
I certainly don't "hate" Apple Computers, it's just that I do have some problems with companies such as apple or Microsoft who, though their contribution to computer technology is certainly undeniable, also tend to be very monopolistic.

PS: The new iProduct though is impressive!
pll
I don't hate them.
I just don't like the way they try to monopolize the market with their Iphones and ipod touch.
tony
misterXY wrote:

I do not hate apple. I do think it is very overpriced. and I feel linux can do anything apple can for OS, even look as pretty (or better) w compiz-Fusion these days. And all at no cost, unlike that apple software.

I must say I have more respect for Apple than M$. At least Apple can create software which works.
Shewolf
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

I'll tell you why.

You may think it's their brightly colored products. You may think it's their insidious headphones all over the place. You may think it involves some woman throwing a sledgehammer at a screen.

But you'd be wrong.

People hate Apple for what Apple is: hippies.

Apple computers are hippy computers. That's undeniable. When was the last time you saw anybody using an Apple that wasn't also smoking weed? Never. Because Apple computers are hippy computers used by hippies. And hippies smoke weed. Facts of life my boy.

Darn hippy computers.

Does that count me as well? I've never smoked anything in my whole life, and have been familiar to apple machines since the age of five or something. I do admit having some hippy-ish ways of living, but still. Am I then a hippie because I use apple's products, or do I use apple's products because I am (not) a hippie? Laughing And most of all: do people hate hippies?

Anyway, apple is a good brand for it's use, as everything else. I think I made my view clear somewhere earlier in this thread..
arquivo
i cant hate apple because i dont have any apple´s product yet... so, why am i answering this topic? thats why i did remember a great movie talking about the begining of apple and microsoft, it calls "pirates from silicion valley"

There´s reasons to hate more or less...

Good movie anyway
raine dragon
I don't hate apple. However, as I build my own PC, it's much easier for me to build a PC. it's easier for me to fix a PC, and it's easier for me to get into the meat and potatoes of the system when something goes wrong.

Apples are great for children and casual users though; they are very hard to mess up and rather non-computer person friendly. ^__^
lethaltriad
I don't hate apple, I hear its actually the best option for the fields that I'm in.. photography and music production but currently I have a custom built PC. I tried my friends laptop already and deskptops that were Apple and I was soo confused and frustrated. I'm sure though if I had one though i would learn how to use it quickly. Would probably get an Apple Laptop to do editing when i'm on the road and use my PC to edit when i'm at home.
Whong
raine dragon wrote:
I don't hate apple. However, as I build my own PC, it's much easier for me to build a PC. it's easier for me to fix a PC, and it's easier for me to get into the meat and potatoes of the system when something goes wrong.

Apples are great for children and casual users though; they are very hard to mess up and rather non-computer person friendly. ^__^

Really? I thought it was just the opposite... Confused I thought Apple computers were the real deal... Question
Guelila
apple wrote:

omg that was so funny Laughing
anyways..
I dont hate apple, but i dont like how some people are so obsessed with Apple for no apparant reason.
They go around saying things like how apple products are better that all the other products blah blah blah

They have macs at my school and I have an iphone, so Im not anti-apple or anything, but when people go around saying how apple products are the best, I always asked them why they think so and no one seems to be able to answer that question.

for example, iphone is great and all, but why the heck are people so obsessed about it?
It definitely isn't the BEST phone, nor is is anything revolutionary.

Conclusion: i dont hate apple, but i dislike apple fanboys. Smile
ganesh
(1) The margin they make on their products is a customer rip off, and is extremely obscene!

(2) Their iTunes for Windows is bloatware

(3) Their fanboys are extremely annoying

Do you need any more reasons??
smspno
I do not really know why some people hate Apple, on the contrary, I can imagine why people can hate Microsoft. But it's just a subjective opinion of mine. Smile) I love Apple!
misterXY
Liu wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Moving?

moved from one side of Canada to another so i had to drop off the harddrive since i was more intrested in XPSP2 to configure it then linux cause i was also impatient Smile it would've took forever to transfer everything to my linux let alone things that wouldn't work with linux as it did with XP.. i left by plabe for work & school, didn't entirely move.
j_f_k
Apple are innovators not followers (like windows). That said it wasn't apple that invented the 'windows' interface it was actually a company that makes photocopy machines (go figure). Like another poster said - apple is too proprietary I had a mac years and years ago and loathed the closed shop aspect of it - and switched to pc.

EVen now with the IPOD, wonderful product - however as everyone knows with the early version the batteries sucked big time - you can't replace them easily with 3rd party batteries - invalidate the warranty etc etc

compare and contrast to a PC (even a genuine artticle IBM pc of years gone by) if you didn't like somehting (like the video card) no problem - any tom, dick or harry could and did make a replacement video card, it slots in , no warranty problem - and therefore you had competition.
indianinworld
I like Apple's Rolling Eyes

They are one of the finest fruits which tastes good. I like both fresh green apples and red apples. And all the more, the best i like is the TROPICANA APPLE PREMIUS APPLE JUICE. It tastes good !!!
Laughing

Keep Smiling - Keep Living

Arrow Happy eating Apples

ankit9099
I don't hate apple, every product that comes in the market only leads to more competition and betterment of quality, so its mainly good for us.

And on the fun side:an apple a day keeps the "billy" away!! Wink
HamsterMan
Well, I dislike the way osx looks, way too much useless graphics and not enough functionality (Kinda like vista). I really really hate those cheap-ass iBook chargers on which the cables constantly get worn out until it starts to smoke from em and you burn your fingers putting it in. No like seriously, I'm working at a whole bunch of elementary schools as tech support and just about each other of those chargers are broken, and it's just a matter of time for the rest. I also dislike how today I had to find an usb keyboard just to be able to run a software update for a MacBook for which the keyboard and touchpad suddenly stopped working. Yeah.. It just works my a**. I dislike how I had to check up on the internet how to find the power button on one of those flat screen macs. I really dislike that people think those mac mice looks fine. Ergonomical mice looks fine, those round things looks like some awkward naughty toys. I dislike how apple introduces every new feature that other os's have used since the dawn of time as "unique". I dislike the ugly cheaply made half transparent keys on those iBooks, I dislike how easy the iBooks are scratched. I hate how sometimes when you're trying to start up an iBook or MacBook nothing happens, so you plug in the charger and still nothing happens, so you remove the battery and click that little button and plug it back in and wait 10 minutes, still nothing.

Okey okey, if someone have corrections to my complaints, please just say em.
coolclay
Amen to that brother I feel your pain, read my post on the first page.
lastelement0
i don't like apple primarily because their products are so overpriced. the only thing i used by them was itunes when i had windows on my laptop because my WMP became so cluttered and i was far too lazy to organize it. but now i have switched over to Ubuntu and couldn't be happier. If i really wanted OS X i could just follow one of the numerous guides out there to customize linux to look as such. however, i dont like apple products, cant stand the ipod (i own a creative zen) and have no desire to purchase an apple computer. sure their designs are pleasing to the eye, but it isn't worth all of the extra cash i would need to shell out when i can get the same performance for less.

that said, im going the free route and planning on staying that way unless i come across something that i really need and can't get WINE or an alternative software to do under linux.
misterXY
HamsterMan wrote:
Well, I dislike the way osx looks, way too much useless graphics and not enough functionality (Kinda like vista). I really really hate those cheap-ass iBook chargers on which the cables constantly get worn out until it starts to smoke from em and you burn your fingers putting it in. No like seriously, I'm working at a whole bunch of elementary schools as tech support and just about each other of those chargers are broken, and it's just a matter of time for the rest. I also dislike how today I had to find an usb keyboard just to be able to run a software update for a MacBook for which the keyboard and touchpad suddenly stopped working. Yeah.. It just works my a**. I dislike how I had to check up on the internet how to find the power button on one of those flat screen macs. I really dislike that people think those mac mice looks fine. Ergonomical mice looks fine, those round things looks like some awkward naughty toys. I dislike how apple introduces every new feature that other os's have used since the dawn of time as "unique". I dislike the ugly cheaply made half transparent keys on those iBooks, I dislike how easy the iBooks are scratched. I hate how sometimes when you're trying to start up an iBook or MacBook nothing happens, so you plug in the charger and still nothing happens, so you remove the battery and click that little button and plug it back in and wait 10 minutes, still nothing.

Okey okey, if someone have corrections to my complaints, please just say em.

Amen Also.

lastelement0 wrote:
i don't like apple primarily because their products are so overpriced. the only thing i used by them was itunes when i had windows on my laptop because my WMP became so cluttered and i was far too lazy to organize it. but now i have switched over to Ubuntu and couldn't be happier. If i really wanted OS X i could just follow one of the numerous guides out there to customize linux to look as such. however, i dont like apple products, cant stand the ipod (i own a creative zen) and have no desire to purchase an apple computer. sure their designs are pleasing to the eye, but it isn't worth all of the extra cash i would need to shell out when i can get the same performance for less.

that said, im going the free route and planning on staying that way unless i come across something that i really need and can't get WINE or an alternative software to do under linux.

What's great about the creative Zen that i experince is MUCH more tools that are very handy Very Happy
Plus a fraction cheaper, can use linux and still enjoy it's design.
It isn't as thin, but i don't want thin. i want a big toy i suppose. Laughing
ashish2005
I do not hate apple at all. I do not know why there are people who hate apple. I have not used that much products from apple but I have found no reason to hate apple at all. iPods are pretty good aren't they? and maybe I love apple because they produce cool looking iPods.
radzz
well most people like apples because there helthy well appairently well if u think apples are healthy that ur thoght my self i hate apples i dont like them my self that might be because i choked on one so the my side of apples and thats why i hate them
!!!
PatTheGreat42
I think I've already complained about hippies.

But no matter, I'll do it again.

It's important.

People hate hippies. They're nasty and they smell and they like things like freedom of speech and expression and protection against warrentless wiretapping from the government. Therefore, hippies love evil.

Now, Apple is made of hippies.

Everybody at Apple is a hippy.

And hippies are evil. Therefore, the conclusion is simple:

Apple is evil. Because hippies are evil. Dagnabbit.
The-Ron-Man
My main complaint about Apple (trust me, I have complaints about Windows) is that they seem to emphasize aesthetics over functionality. They have overpriced--albeit shiny--computers that you can't upgrade and that are very overpriced compared to their PC alternatives. They have a laptop that is thin beyond any real use, sacrificing capabilities and affordability.

My real hatred comes from the minimizing, though. They don't let you minimize and reopen windows with any efficiency. Rather than have an ugly bar that had the name of the application, they have pretty icons that show what the window is displaying. Hey, guess what? When I have several instances of Open Office open, they all look the same. Yes, I know, it was that one page with the text.

I mean, it works fine if you're only going to do one thing at a time, but that's not me. Well, it is NOW, because I'm stuck on a PC with 128MB of RAM. But that's not my choice.
cvkien
apple is not for me. and i think vista is almost alike mac os x. most of it's features. and of cause windows has integrate more than mac do. and mac is expensive for me. i still remember 1 of my friend told me mac is very easy to use. especially mac has very clear step on telling the users how to do anythings with mac. but i tried before but it just hard for me.

i bet i'll never know how to use mac. cause i'm already adapt to windows too much. for me, windows is 100 times easier.
misterXY
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I think I've already complained about hippies.

But no matter, I'll do it again.

It's important.

People hate hippies. They're nasty and they smell and they like things like freedom of speech and expression and protection against warrentless wiretapping from the government. Therefore, hippies love evil.

Now, Apple is made of hippies.

Everybody at Apple is a hippy.

And hippies are evil. Therefore, the conclusion is simple:

Apple is evil. Because hippies are evil. Dagnabbit.

alright Eric cartman lol I hate hippies aswell Smile
ProwerBot
I personally adore my iPod touch and I am glad I did not get any other brand of MP3 player. I do not own a Mac =[ But I want one. I have like no cash though... I might just end up getting a PowerBook off of ebay =/
ProfessorY91
Haha. This is an interesting topic. Why do we hate Apple. Isn't the question what can we like them for? I develop in C and C++, and just about the only thing that's good about Apple software is the compatibility. I do all my testing on Tiger. But,

Apple's App Store, iTunes, and popularized software and hardware is so severely restricted that jailbreaking and unlocking something like an iPhone is a must. Even so, when was the last time you bought a computer and someone told you what kind of software you could and could not put on it? Same principles... same discussion, same old tired argument. Apple may have some good products, but their policies are damn annoying.

Also, wtf is with Macsoft, and games coming out later, and the fact that you need something like Bootcamp to dual boot (in most cases), and the idea that ur computer is sealed up tighter than a worm's ass? I want to take out the battery. No **** you, you can't do that.

Eh the list goes on.
hamza1122
i don't hate it but i dont like it...i prefer Microsoft but i love their apple ipod touch!!
deanhills
For me there are a mixture of reasons why I don't own an Apple. I would have preferred to own one, as I do think they are superior in design, however, they are too costly, and also where I am in the Middle East good maintenance is difficult to find. There are Apple maintenance depots, but when it gets down to nitty gritty fixing, then one very soon finds limitations from maintenance staff who are much more experienced with other PCs. Also, Apples in my work place are rare, and I prefer to have a computer that can communicate with the majority of IBM type computers.
pll
Apple are great, since I've worked on a Mac I want to buy one.
I'd never get back on a PC.
Parkour_Jarrod
I don't hate Apple/Macs I like them more than Windows for general use, considering i don't game and mst of my stuff uses creative software that mac has better i would trade in my laptop for a macbook anyday...

Once you go Mac, you never go back.
Hogwarts
Why does everybody still only seem to think there are two choices, "Mac" and "PC" (an incorrect reference to Windows)?
Ankhanu
Sphaerenkern wrote:

In most cases, this is exactly what it comes down to, straight up ignorance. It does go for both sides of the coin as well. Most "haters" are uneducated or base their opinions on hear-say or a single poor experience.

Macs have their problems, yeah, coolclay, you had some difficulty disassembling one a couple years ago... ever try getting into the nuts and bolts of a Sun system? It's pretty similar. Conversely, I swapped out the HDD in my Macbook in less time than it took me to swap the HDD in my Dell laptop; it was really quite simple. Admittedly, their all-in-one desktop systems are somewhat difficult to get into and play with... but that's the price paid for a small footprint computer; make the computer take up less space, it's going to be harder to get into.
Aside from accessing the internals, I do find the design elements of many Mac systems to be pleasing, clever, thoughtful and, yes, professional. The old mindset that Macs are crayon boxes designed for kids is quite outmoded, especially in the past 5 years or so, since they dropped the clamshell notebooks and CRT desktops. Honestly, these days, Windows based systems tend to be more trendy-designed than Macs with various colours, graphic designs and whatnot while Macs are more sleek and conservative.

Other than high end 3D gaming, I've never experienced any software limitations with my Mac (part of that is also the craptacular video card that's in it). Occasionally you can't use the exact piece of software you thought you needed, but something is available, and often enough, it will be compatible with the file format you or your friends/coworkers are using. For 99% of daily computing a Mac will do exactly what you want it to.
OSX is a solid OS packed with some great features, and with the 10.6 upgrades, is much more resource friendly as well. I've had one OS related problem since I started using 10.4 three years ago. That is a MUCH better service record than I've experienced on any Windows system or OS; for those extolling the virtues of XP (I love XP myself), remember it was utter garbage and highly unstable until the release of SP2 in 2004. Vista was a horrible flop... and Windows 7 is a step in the right direction, but still has a way to go to become as stable as XP eventually became.
Really, if you're looking for bang for your buck, there's no reason to ever consider MacOS or Windows, Linux is the way to go. Again, 99% of daily computing can be done without issue using Linux.

Windows is so successful largely out of fear of change and outmoded ideas on the alternatives. Most people are familiar Windows... that's computing for them. They believe Macs are expensive (no more expensive than a similar quality Windows based system) or are less capable, suitable for children or "hippies"... they believe that Linux is all command line, only suitable for experts and that they'll have problems using their peripherals... all of which is rubbish these days.

Liking or not liking the interface is entirely personal preference. Not liking OSX simply because you don't like the look of it is valid enough Razz It's not an excellent reason, but it works; the interface is a big component of the experience.

As for Apple the company... there's plenty to dislike there; just as there is with Microsoft and any other large corporation. Apple's company model is an interesting one, to say the least, and it's got a lot of good points; innovative, green intentions, etc.; but it has its demons as well; just like Microsoft it has its mercenary side, and it has to... it has to answer to its shareholders and make money just like any other corporation.

iPods, iPhones and iPads... there are quality alternatives to these devices, for certain. But, in all honesty, Apple does the hand-held device quite nicely. I've used other mp3 players, including Sonys, Creative Zens, and others, and have not found them to offer the same sort of ease of use and organization that my iPods have. They've been alright products, but not nearly as well designed. iTunes is a little bit of a bitch, but I've gotten used to it. In the phone market, I considered several alternatives before getting an iPhone; for me a smart phone was a must, as just buying a phone was a waste of money for me... I use the smart features FAR more than the phone itself. The quality of the screen, the quality of the touch response and the array of apps available for iPhone brought it head and shoulders beyond the other phones available to me at the time. That said, I'm now somewhat intrigued by some of the android touch phones available; they could offer a viable alternative to the iPhone with similar capabilities, and even better features in some areas. Yeah, I can't disagree that the 2G iPhone wasn't up to par, but OS 3.x really made the 3S/3Gs much better devices, and OS 4 is looking relatively solid (save for a few aspects). iPads, I haven't seen one yet, but my initial feeling is that they're too limited in capability... but there's a lot of potential. The next iterations, like with the iPhone, will likely bring big improvements and make it a much more viable platform. Time will tell.

Hogwarts wrote:
Why does everybody still only seem to think there are two choices, "Mac" and "PC" (an incorrect reference to Windows)?

Ignorance Wink It's a warm, squishy, feel-good place that few people want to leave.
deanhills
Good post Ankhanu. Think one of the reasons why I would hesitate buying a Mac is lack of support in the area where I am, which is the UAE. They have much fewer outlets for purchasing Macs, and even fewer depots to support faulty equipment, and those depots are manned by maintenance staff, who are not as knowledgeable about Macs as they should be. So much easier and effortless with your IBM compatible types that are familiar to most technicians, and who can assemble and disassemble them with their eyes closed. Let's face it. The lower prices for the IBM compatibles have made computers and computing affordable for most. Apple is definitely the superior of the two. Also the models' designs are much sleeker, more attractive, the laptops are awesome and very much in demand. But it is genuinely more expensive. So Macs may be more for your discerning computer geek, who can afford to have a different system, not only from a cost point of view, but who does not have to be dependent on matching Microsoft generated documents like Excel, Word etc. where Apple and IBM are not talking the same language.

You are right though too in that ignorance also plays a great role. I'm sure I must be very ignorant with regard to the compatibility of Apple generated Excel and Word documents for example, and many more aspects, but then why am I ignorant? Is Apple doing enough with its marketing to educate people about its products?
Parkour_Jarrod
Hogwarts wrote:

Good question, there are many many other Operating Systems out there but many are unknown/faulty, i know about linux and i have used it many times, matter of fact i have it on my HDD, but for compatibility i like to go for the main two... I think thats why many people go for the main two battlers, for the compatibility of programs that has been built-up over years.
Ankhanu
The lack of support in different regions would be a huge stumbling block.
In North America, cost is still an issue, like it is in UAE. That's because Apple doesn't make a full range of product qualities; they pretty much ignore the entry level system market, which is where your affordable IBM-compatibles sit. Yes, you can buy an IBM type computer for $300... but it's going to be a $300 computer; Apples start at over $1000 and perform similarly to an IBM-compatible in that price range... though, admittedly, an "identical" IBM-compatible will probably be $200-300 less (which is less noticeable at that price point). At the same time, you can see where some of the cost is going in the physical designs and attention to details.

As far as Microsoft Office goes, matching Excel, Word, etc. documents, Microsoft produces a Mac version of Office, though it is not as well supported as the Windows version. It is, IMO a much better interface than than Office 2007 for Windows. Alternatively, Open Office, open source office suite, can work with Microsoft Office files quite nicely and is compatible with Mac, Linux and Windows. There are some cross-platform compatibility issues with these, however, it's true... but the only place I've encountered any problems is in graph rendering. Graphs don't always render right going from MS Office for Mac or Open Office loaded on a Windows system; the usual problem I've faced was the Y-axis text overlapping the Y-axis. That certainly is an annoyance, and really seems to be a problem on the Windows side of things, as things saved on a Mac, Open Office, or Windows version of Office will load and render fine on the Mac side of things.
Basically, Microsoft supports Mac out of necessity, but they don't put a lot of effort into it Razz

Given the current OS and hardware options, I'm pretty certain that I won't be buying another Windows based system. I'll either upgrade my Mac, or buy a barebones system and load it with Linux. Vista and 7 just don't cut it for me, the options they offer just don't stand up to the options offered by Mac or Linux... and the cost of Windows and its options vs. the cost of Linux, well, there's just no comparison! If cost is an issue in the Mac debate, any Windows supporter should do the same system of debate they're using against Mac and apply it to Windows vs. Linux.
Asap170
The reasons why I hate Macs are probrally the following:

1. Macs are simply unreliable. I've worked with Macs for 4 years and I found out how horrible they are. For example; We had a shipment of like 30 brand new macs. They were really good in the "Mac World" and 3 of them crashed in a few days. The Hard Drives went out on them.

2. Applications.........This basically says it. There isn't too many applications for the Mac like there is for Windows and Linux.
Greatking
I cant say i hate apple because i have not really used their pcs. but what i have heard from friends who use their computers is that they are not so cool.
weableandbob
Their products are overpriced for what they do, and everything seems too simplified to be useful.
ProwerBot
I dearly love my iPod touch and I may get an iPhone this year (: I also despise my PC. Probably because it runs windows 2000... but still. I may make the wonderful leap to a Mac soon (:
ahnguye5
Most people that hate Apple are those that have a strong loyalty for their brand. The same goes the other way around. Apple caters to a exclusive and tiny subset of the market. I think there are more Apple consumers that buy for the name as opposed to a true appreciation of the closed hardware platform - the main reason why Apple's share of the market is exclusive. I set aside hate and embrace multi-platform. Cool
speeDemon
I just watched "The pirates of Silicon Valley" And well, I guess I'm a bit sympathetic towards apple.. as microsoft copied the stuff Apple copied from Xerox.(If you don't know what I'm saying, go watch the movie)

Anyway, I don't think Apple MacBooks will actually be as good in gaming as PCs, but I have no grudges againt them.
Though I am fed up of the whole " i " naming.. iphone, ipod, imac, ipad.. arrhh..
Maybe a new name will help.. uphone, upod, umac Laughing

Anyway, I guess theres no real competition here in India, as we dont have apple software, and ported games..
misterXY
weableandbob wrote:
Their products are overpriced for what they do, and everything seems too simplified to be useful.

stupidfied Cool