FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's your favourite dish? (food)

Vlien
We're here with people from all over the world and I've never seen this subject appear so... tell me, what is your favourite dish? (=> food, for the non-English)
Summer
No specific favourite dishes but i love Chocs
datter
No favorite dish really, though steak is always good. Generally though, I eat toast. Smile
zaira
same as the first two posters, when it comes to dishes, i love them all, but mostly, i prefer pastas, like spagehetti, bake macaroni, lasagna and a lot more. although if you talk about viands, i love steaks, who ever knows salisbury steak, it tastes very good...
Shewolf
I simply do love food, can't live without it of course.
Here in Norway we got a kind of sandwich/toast meal, which is basicly made up of salad, bread and raw meat. It got the name "tartar sandwich", or something like that. I think it's possibly the best dish I can imagine the taste of. Except from sushi, which is very much the same thing, after all.
adri
Frieten met vlees uit een frietkot (French Frites with lots of meat from a frietkot)
applejunk
soon du bu jigae with rice! and korean bbq ^^
missdixy
I love entomatadas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomatada

It's been about three months since I've had them though, sadly. Sad
skygaia
I would like BBQ.
Helios
Steamed rice with meat, mashed potatoes with a burger... mmm home cooking Smile
redchic
lasagne
Thumpercats
Well, my favorite food has got to be pizza. There are so many different tasting pizzas and almost an un countable amount of different toppings combinations that can be made. Its not the healthiest of foods by any means which is why I am trying to slowly cut back on the amount of pizza i actually consume on a monthly basis.
ashish2005
I have tried lots of dishes tibetan, indian, nepali, italian etc but my favourite is newari dishes. Newari dishes got so many varieties and all are so tasty. So newari dishes are my favourite food.

Some of my newari dishes has to be chhwela, kachila, chatamari, bajji, aila etc.
Seiji
Pizza, I eat it almost everyday either store-bought, homemade, or I order it. My life almost revolves around pizza.
apple
lasagna I love love love love love it!!!!!!!!
bulek
Pizza, kebab and sea food.
ForceRun
Pizza, Subs, and Hambgers
refreshx
My favourite dish is fried rice with a side of scrambled eggs with soy sauce Smile
I'm asian!
cloudship
I like sushi, and everything tastes good to me, when I am really hungry, lol
hlavco
My mom makes these noodles with bacon and alfredo sauce. It's awesome, especially with garlic bread to scoop up all the sauce afterwards.

Generally, I like most Italian food. And also tacos.
DoctorBeaver
Beech bark! Very Happy

Seriously though, folks - nyama mbuzi with ugali and ndizi is delicious (goat meat with maize meal and cooking bananas) but day-to-day, probably a hot curry or Javanese rendang.
driftingfe3s
Hmm, this is a hard question. I guess I'd have to say my favorite food is sushi. I love trying out new rolls everytime i go to a sushi bar.
Liu
niu rou mian
SpellcasterDX
Homemade tacos. My mom makes the best tacos in the world! Yum.
evilryu530
this might sound nasty, but i love sour fish soup. it's an asian thing, darn is it good with rice and hot sauce! man it's the bomb! vegetables and all.....................ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........good.....better than cambells.
ankit9099
Hi all, well all over the world there are hundreds of dishes which people can eat. I personally live in India and like salty and spicy food. I like vegetables like potato, ladyfinger, chat. I am a strict lacto-vegetarian so I don't eat eggs as well.
asim
Hi all,

i have many dishes that i can eat, i am just mad about food, mine fav is.... Daal Gosh, Mutton Biryani, Shami Kebab, Seekh Kebab, Kheeri and Kaleji Fried.... and many more yaa... im feeling hungry will b back...
smspno
My favourite dish is 'pierogi ruskie' - traditional Polish dumplings, crescent shaped, stuffed with a mix of potatoes, farmer's cheese and onions - DELICIOUS! Smile

Here you can find the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/111910
It tastes better when fried on a frying pan. Then it looks like this: http://images1.fotosik.pl/199/caa1077741b8cb36med.jpg

My second favourite dish is sushi, especially california maki
catscratches
Lens beefs with tomato sauce! It's the most tasty dish I've ever tasted. It may not sound as much but it really is delicious!
erlendhg
If you are talking about food as dinner,
I really enjoy beef with bernaise sauce.
Mmm!
D'Artagnan
PIZZA, PIZZA , PIZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
flowerpower
I have no one favourite dish. I love chinese food and sushi.
furtasacra
My favorite food is... just about anything spicy!

Latin, Caribbean, Creole/Cajun, Mediterranean, Asian, Indian, Tex-Mex, you name it. If it's spicy, I'll probably enjoy it.

And if it's a spicy SEAFOOD dish, I'll LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I could also probably eat sushi every single day and not get tired of it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go make some (spicy) spaghetti and meatballs. With garlic toast and a big green salad.

Smile
jerredk
Idk , i haven't a favorite food. I eat everthing. But i like chickens. Hot chickens Razz .
d5c4b3
some might call me strange but my three most favorite in order are:
1. gravy
2. cheese
3. fish heads and rice

sorry didn't mean gross anybody out on that last one it means tuna casserole
Chris24
Mussels with red sauce
the-guide
refreshx wrote:
My favorite dish is fried rice with a side of scrambled eggs with soy sauce Smile
I'm asian!

That's very good taste especially if served together with "Tom Yum Goong".

(Tom yum is a soup originating from Thailand. It is perhaps one of the most famous dishes in Thai cuisine. It is widely popular in neighboring countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia, etc. and it is now also globally popularized. Tom yum is characterized by its distinct hot and sour flavors, with fragrant herbs generously used. Tom yum goong is one kind of tom yum made with prawns.)

Very very good taste, I would like to recommend. Laughing

Wink
furtasacra
the-guide wrote:
refreshx wrote:
My favorite dish is fried rice with a side of scrambled eggs with soy sauce Smile
I'm asian!

That's very good taste especially if served together with "Tom Yum Goong".

(Tom yum is a soup originating from Thailand. It is perhaps one of the most famous dishes in Thai cuisine. It is widely popular in neighboring countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia, etc. and it is now also globally popularized. Tom yum is characterized by its distinct hot and sour flavors, with fragrant herbs generously used. Tom yum goong is one kind of tom yum made with prawns.)

One of my favorite soups is Tom Ka Gai (dunno if I spelled it right). Chicken, mushrooms, onions, lemongrass, and little hot peppers in chicken broth, coconut milk and lime juice, from the taste. Orgasmic. The Thai restaurant in my town with the best Tom Ka Gai closed a few years ago. Anybody got a good recipe for it?
the-guide
furtasacra wrote:
One of my favorite soups is Tom Ka Gai (dunno if I spelled it right). Chicken, mushrooms, onions, lemongrass, and little hot peppers in chicken broth, coconut milk and lime juice, from the taste. Orgasmic. The Thai restaurant in my town with the best Tom Ka Gai closed a few years ago. Anybody got a good recipe for it?

You're all right, I'm very glad that you love Thai foods. Wink
JustCarol
I love brazilian bbq, some pasta, a thing that we have here called "farofa" and some kind of soup called "miojo"... well most people dislike the last one but it works pretty much for me....

and 99% of brazilians like rice and bean every day, it's like nothing goes without it.... and that's what I get daily: rice and bean and some other things like chicken or mash potatos... it seems weird, but is actually very good, the ones who try miss it when away.
carlospro7
mmmm, I can't say that I have a favorite dish. I have many favorite dishes as I loooooove food. Ceviche is among my favorites. Other than a routine it's a hobby of mine. I wish I could work tasting food. Laughing
Traveller
All-time favourite: Beef Stroganoff.
More-recent favourite: Moroccan Kefta Tagine (lamb meatball stew)
lethaltriad
Nice topic! I'm from Jamaica and my favourite dishes are.. Oxtail, Curry Goat, Ackee and Saltfish. Theres soo many actually lol.. anything spicy like pan/jerk chicken and we also have alot of chinese restaurants here as well as indian so lots of variety of foods.
standready
I love food! No matter whether it is a steak served with a baked sweet potato, pizza, seafood, a dish from another country or even just oatmeal - I love it. I was brought up to always take a small portion and try it. I have found a few things that I prefer not to eat unless that is all that is offered at the moment.
PatTheGreat42
My favorite dish is this cute little bowl I got while travelling to a faraway, foreign land.

Alright, it was Epcot center at Disney, but it's like totally the same thing.
dukieboy
i went to a greek restaurant called cyma and i tried the roka salata and lamb chops, all i can say is those have got to be the most awesome dishes i tried! OPA!
biljap
I don’t have favourite dish… I adore food; anything made of vegetables is perfect for me! Well, I must admit I’m not brave enough to try one of those exotic foods from some countries and I don’t like too much to experiment with it. I prefer more usual food.
Dbarkol
flowerpower wrote:
I have no one favourite dish. I love chinese food and sushi.

Me too Wink Arrow Very Happy
Stevezorr
I love submarine sandwiches, any time of the day. If you mean specifically dinner foods, I would have to say...cheese pizza. Smile
banzilla
I love Mediteranean food. Garlic, olive oil, fresh vegetables, pasta...
Gieter
Wok, pasta, and of course a nice steak saignant with pepper sauce.
BPrice
well i have two favourite foods

which are lasagna and roast chicken.

I try to eat both as often as I can and its normally about once a week.
unknownc1c
hmmm i guess steak? lol i don't know really
jhamz
pizza and filipino food...
Insanity
I like rice and noodles. Preferably fried in some way, though soup noodles are good as well.
PatTheGreat42
Once upon a time, there was a boy.

This boy liked a dish.

It was blue.

A bright blue. A blue that spoke of peace, harmony, small birds singing in unison with larger birds to create a harmonic pitch as yet unequaled to this day. This boy loved the dish, because when he looked at it, the dish calmed and reassured him. It let him know that everything was alright with the world.

Then the dish broke is the dishwasher.

But it turned out alright, because then the kid got an xBox 360 and had a lot of fun doing things that didn't involve ceramic.
Donutey
I've been addicted to sloppy joe's for lunch for a while now. Manwich sauce, ground beef, brown sugar, vinegar, and some mustard to go on top... my favorite hot sandwich.
polly-gone
I have three favorite dishes.

1.) Skapetti
B.) Fettuccine Alfredo
Next.) Donuts

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
friuser
My favorite dish at the moment is homemade yogurt. It's not great as plain yogurt but I make smoothies and yogurt cheese that I use on everything. Very healthy and expensive because I can't find any deals on milk. Guess I'm rambling now but it's well worth the effort.
polly-gone
Ooo... donuts and smoothies... the best... lawl..... By the way, if you are American, you won't find and deals on milk. They have a law in place in every state to keep the milk price the same everywhere.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
anex
I am here in Dahab, south sinai of egypt right now...

they serve a ****** good burger in this institution called toota....

it's the mega meat burger...

i'm proud that a guy can eat two of them ;-P
jsymac
I enjoy a proper Italian style pizza nice and thin, not one of the really doughy American style ones
thejam
man i could eat tuna sashimi for ever
ankitdatashn
Ohh man, I wonder how can so many people eat meat items. As for me I like vegetarian stuff.
TurtleShell
I'm a vegetarian as well. my favorite foods include:

palak paneer
pasta primavera
vegetarian bratwursts
vegetarian pasta with meatballs
everything I've ever had at ethiopian restaurants
tacos, fajitas, taco salads
this one particular dish we make sometimes here at home...corn, tomato, avacado and cheese, fried in a tortilla
regular salads, with pasta on them
sushi (actually, avacado rolls...and mushroom rolls...with lots of wasabi and soy sauce...)
walnuts

...and nearly all these things are best when you have them with a beer.
Kirara
my favorite food it´s the CHILAQUILES

alyer
i like russian soup "Solyanka" and ukrainian " Borsh".
vineeth
Nothing can match Kerala...

KAPPA

FISH CURRY

TODDY

molif
i love mee hoon goreng indian style..

if u are from southeast asia, you should know how tasty it is..
goutha
Well Asian food is very good.

There's also Mediterranean food which is excellent!
ptfrances
I have plenty of favorites dishes but one of my best is a red thai curry dish. It's a really nice food the thai one Razz
Sphaerenkern
I think it's scallopped chicken on noodles... yum Smile Even more tasty then lasagna (and you save, like, half a day when you cook it Very Happy)
roninmedia
I'm 100% Asian but my favorite food is not Asian.

My favorite food is probably meat lasagna. Tasty and filling with its cheesy goodness. Hell, I like almost any kind of pasta.
carz
moloheya egyption food
tony
Nasi goreng pattaya is my favourite dish of all time (if it is made right):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasi_goreng_pattaya

It is a Malaysian dish - and quite representative of that country's great food.
itpsu47
Mmm! Nasi goreng pattaya in thailand ??? Question
tempdbs
Vlien wrote:
We're here with people from all over the world and I've never seen this subject appear so... tell me, what is your favourite dish? (=> food, for the non-English)

All are there for this purpose... so thats why, we have been forgotten...!!! HAHAHAHAHA..!

I am from South India and I do like to have our homely food... too Spicy with good taste...! Try out Avakaya (its nothing ohter than mango Pickle) with Ghee and Rice..No other recipe tastes better than this
eggg
Pretty much anything that can be described as curried vegetables, lots of spice and lots of ingredients.
James_Hicks
I've never went wrong with meat loaf. I really like chili too with really hot peppers such as the Bhut Jolokia. I swear I could die after eating that, and others too after the gas sets in. Boy it burns.
Vladalf
My favourite dishes are rice, potatoes and pasta. All kinds of pasta.
-Vladalf
visualconcepts
my favourite is rice, dal, meat, chicken and beef.
xtupie
I am living in South Africa. There is no shortage of meat, fruit and vegatables which are relatively cheap so here is my list:

I love all types of Fruit an dVegatables so I cannot tell you what my favorite is, but here is the list

Supper
====
Spaghetti Bolognaise with cheese

Lunch
====
Braai - Barbeque - Steak, Boerworse (sauage) and Papa - Maize porriage with tomato and onion gravy

Breakfast
======
American Breakfast with lots of fruit

Snack
====
All South African's Love BILTONG - like beef jerky just tastes a 1000 times better.

Desert
====
Run and Raison Ice Cream

Take Away
=======
Mc Donald's

Sweets
=====
Chocolate and Wine gums
Dadde
Steak !!
jhamz
I love pizza...
fenveteknoloji
i like turkish foods they are very delicious
my favorite turkish foods are some kebab, some lavas and some ayran
do you want to taste them Question Rolling Eyes
Xen0
Well, my favourite dish will be spaghetti, just becuz ehrm, well i dunno, i just love the taste, i also like hamburgers and fastfood, but thats not too good for me so Very Happy for who is it eccualy ??

Laughing

well, now u know what i like Cool
deanhills
For me it changes all the time and is also relative to whether I am on or off a diet. When I am off a diet I seem to like pizza very much, or pasta such as lasagna. But I agree pizza, when really well made, is awesome. I like the pastry thin with lots of topping on it, light on cheese and heavy on peppers and veggies.

Chocolate has to be special chocolate, but comes and goes. Even when I am off a diet. I do like the taste of lemon however, and keylime pie is one of my favourites. I also like frozen yochurt but only in the States as they have the most amazing varieties there. I particularly love keylime frozen yochurt.

Asian food is also nice. I particularly like Japanese dishes with rice and chicken, a dish called Oyuko Don. The chicken is cooked in a basic sauce with some sweet in it, lots of onion as well, not spicy. I do not like sushi very much. If it is all that is on offer I enjoy the ones with avocado, I think they call it Californian. My preference for Japanese dishes is mostly of the cooked variety. I also like Asian dishes, particularly Korean food including egg rolls and cooked rice and chicken or soup dishes. Thai is also great, depending on who does the cooking. I like the authentic Thai dishes prepared by Thai, i.e. the curries are made from scratch with genuine Thai ingredients.

I also go through Indian food stages (am on pizza at the moment) and when I do I like Vegetable Kurma or Jalfrezie with rice. One of my favourite Indian dishes is fried dahl (mung dahl) on rice.
majiknight8
my favorite dish is an urban style thanksgiving plant with turkey and some ham. Stuffing, gravy, macaronii and cheese, greens with yams. It reakky doesny have to be a thanksgiving meal because I could eat theses foods in combiantion at christmas, easter, or any time of the year. in addittion a good corn bread mix would be good or some fresh rolls.
ace_dude512
I just like a cheeseburger and a coke. I also like Japanese, Chinese, and French cuisine
linkmenot
Vlien wrote:

pasta's d best
b3no
some really weird choices.

ill stick to the normal parma and chips :O
panthro
Pasta And Meatballs Smile
Thumpercats
I personally love to eat grilled cheese. I know it is strange, and might not be considered a dish, but I just love those grilled cheese sandwiches. When I was five I would call them girled cheeeses.
jcvincent75
My favorite dish is SINIGANG NA BABOY.

It's a local dish here in the Philippines. Is a pork dish with a sour soup and some vegetables on it. It's the best dish! If you ever come here in the Philippines, try it.

Cheers!
Ghost Rider103
Food is my favorite thing!

Though I love food, I am a very healthy person, and eat very well.

One of my favorite "dishes" is A full steak, with some fried shrimp, baked potatoe, mashed potatoe, with American fries. (American fries are A LOT different from french fries, and they are amazing!) All in one meal!

Another thing I love is cheesecake, though it isn't very healthy for you, and I do a lot of exercising/bodybuilding so I stay away from it.

But another desert I love, which might sound weird to you all is cottage cheese. Throw some pure ground cinnamon on top of the cottage cheese, with one packet of Splenda, and wow!! I used to hate cottage cheese, but if you do that, it is almost better than cheese cake!

Now I am hungry Laughing
selammussie
my favorite food is lazzania
Vladalf
Well I can't decide between rice and macaronni ( all kinds of macaronni ). These are the two things I never get bored of! I usually eat them with cheese. Mmm, cheeesee...

-Vladalf
wolverine
may i join..? Smile

i like pizza....

my blog: http://sachin-portfolio.blogspot.com/
Pepperfan
My mom makes the most awesome Georgia Cheese Bread! That is Russia not USA.

I would take it from a baby! Smile

Charles
manlear
hamburger!!!!
carlospro7
mmm, foood, I got hungry as soon as I read the title of the topic and started thinking my favorite food. I big fan of the Peruvian cuisine. My favorite dish in that category, ceviche, a famous plate in the coast of Peru.
ptfrances
I have plenty of favorite foods but I like especially carbonara pasta, red curry meat or biryani.

Wink
Ghost900
I love Pizza and I also enjoy sub sandwiches as well.

I am not sure I have an actual favorite dish but I enjoy most bean soups and Chile. Very Happy
gueda
I like this:

ground beef and anything together nhummmmm Very Happy
manlear
Lol. Actually come to think of it. My fav. would have to be Sub sandwiches because i NEVER get them.. lol
sana618
i like (KFC) Kentucky fried chicken and egg sandwich with lots of myoniece in it.
Vladalf
It's hard to say, probably rice. I usually eat rice, paste and triangular fryed potatoes.
Vladk
mattyj
i have a few favourites

2 aussie favs to begin with

Roast Lamb, with Roast Potato, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato and peas and corn with gravy and mint sauce

Meat Pie and Chips with Tomato sauce

and i really like chinese cooking, favs would be Sweet and Sour Pork, Honey Chicken and anything with Prawns Smile
spring567
I like rice.
gcaughill
Vlien wrote:

1. Vegetable soup.
2. Chicken breasts with rice.
3. Chicken broth soup.

Etc.
evilgeniuself
Chicken Estufao (I am not sure if that is spelled correctly, yet it is chicken, usually drumsticks or thighs, boiled in a mixture of vinegar, water, soy sauce, garlic, onion, and ground pepper). I like it on rice with a side of baked potatoes.
Triple_7
A dish I crave daily and can not be found here at home. A good Korean Beef Curry Shocked Ate it a few times at a Korean restaurant in Taiwan and love that stuff. Though I think it was a little more Taiwanese version then anything...really heavy on the Ginger and a little Cinnamon...served with a plate of white steamed rice....mmmmm....mouth watering Cool But unfortunately the only way I can get it again is to make it...and the ingredients would have to be ordered Crying or Very sad

But stuff that is a normal meal here. A lot of Italian pasta dishes, and the usual meat and potatoes. One of my favorites is mashed potatoes with fresh homemade noodles and a little gravy...sometimes I might add meat to that meal but its good just as is...especially with homemade dinner rolls Shocked

Great...now its 12:30AM and I'm hungry again Embarassed
PatTheGreat42
I like, um, mojitos. Those things were delicious. Wait. Food? Erm. McDonalds.
Melacos
I'd have to say a medium rare steak, even though it's really rare that my economical situation lets me enjoy one of those... So, given the fact that I'm a student, I more or less enjoy every hot meal I have, which by no means is everyday. Basically I enjoy potatoes to more or less any type of meat, and lately I've fallen in love with some pan-fried chicken I made recently, which together with oven baked potatoes, vegetables and some sauce, made my evening...
foreverdestiny
A mushroom, ham and extra cheese pizza!!! Laughing
Faraz
Burger made by my mom.
deanhills
I have many favourites, but the one that comes to mind right now is thai vegetables in a baked potato. But prepared by a Thai cook. I had that in Guernsey during the summer a couple of years ago. Delicious. Never thought they would mix as well as they do, but trust the Brits to do that with the spud as well. Smile
stel4e
I like potatoes: mashed, fried, baked. I like all kinds of bread. I love cakes, sweets, cookies.
paskifire
My favorite dish would be "chicken adobo" (chicken mixed with vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, etc then cook it until there's no more liquid ingredients present). It's very popular here and you can also substitute pork if you have no chicken.
goutha
Chinese food is the best food in the world!!!
anakin_skyrunner
I absolutely love pizza and lasagne!
Italian food is just amazing, couldn't live without it =)
FrightKnight
I'm from the Philippines and I love sinigang na baboy. It's a very delicious dish with a sour soup of tamarind. Yeah.... very nice. I also love hamburgers, spaghetti, and chocolates.

Cheers!
Zombie
My favorite dish is the bowl. My favorite thing to go in that dish is clam chowder.
chatrack
Hi,
I like to have putu and kadala on morning. with chaya with plenty of milk
Usually i dont eat much on afternoon, since i will be at work.
I need some ting robest for eve, such as 4 chapatis or iddalies with cury
I like mathi fry or ayala fry for the supper.
BinahZ
latkes with sour cream (mine of course) with a egg and white cheddar and scallion omelet. Razz
Mrs Lycos
corn pie dont know why but i really do love it! Razz
deanhills
I'm going through the salad phase right now. It's very hot in the Middle East. I especially like tuna salad with a nice salad dressing, plenty of the usual veggies in it. When it cools down I like spicy foods, particularly curries with a coconut base. I used to like Thai very much but am less into it than I used to be. Eggs have always been a favourite of mine as well.
hamza1122
spaghetti bolognaise, pasta and lasagne. lol all italian food! haha! im not italian though so yeah.
raaeft1
okra iddli, dosas and chicken of course. I also love mutton and fish.
Fanghai
Kung Pao Chicken from China Star in Boston, Ma. If you havn't had it before, it'd be in your best interest to go and try it Smile
Zombie
I think pizza is my favorite dish.
raaeft1
My favourite dish is of course mutton curry with rice; lemon chicken and fried fish.
austinmark
Vlien wrote:

I love to eat food a lot .I love to each chicken dishes and i am fond of eating them ...I think i love chicken tikka as best
phantombr
I really like a lot of pastas in general. And also like a lot of meat. Barbecue itself is what's good!
kubacz
Polish food is not healthy but it is so delicious! I love bigos - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigos Cool

Kielbasa - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielbasa - is also very good! Wink

greetings from Poland! o/
TurtleShell
well my favorite dish is my mom's tuna noodle casserole, but I don't eat it any more because I'm a vegetarian now. I think maybe someday I'll have it again just because I love it so much... just one more time...
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
well my favorite dish is my mom's tuna noodle casserole, but I don't eat it any more because I'm a vegetarian now. I think maybe someday I'll have it again just because I love it so much... just one more time...
Shows great discipline to eat what is healthy versus what your favourite foods are. I sometimes have struggles with that. Another struggle is to keep at a great variety. They say the Japanese are of the healthiest people in the world because they eat an enormous variety of food, as high sometimes as 100 different ingredients over a week. Tiny bits of different foods. We in the West tend to go for great quantities of a very small variety of staples. Possibly because it takes so much time to prepare "tiny bits" of food. Smile
paskifire
Danggit (dried fish), Dried Squid, Ripe Mangoes, and Pizza!
supernova1987a
Sandwich with ranch and cucumber and other veggies.cheese, Pizza, Momo, spinach, potato, rice, samosa tarkari, jeri puri (not so but still)
yummy, i am hungry now
guth75
My personal favorite dish, would be either Spaghetti (with meatballs, of course!) or chicken Fajitas, or how ever you spell it Very Happy Quite a culture clash, if I do say myself.

Anyway, I thought that this would have a huge variety, and I guess I was correct!

Great thread idea! BYE!
jabce85
hmm...... i'm really into any type of seafood, but to pick a favorite dish is tough....

my favorite dish is probably something that i don't have often, thus making it rare and unique.. i dunno really.. this is probably a pointless post.

hmm. maybe just good ol home cooking... like the thanksgiving day feast with a couple turkey legs, mashed potatoes and gravy, and veggies..
Cliffer
Jiaozi,Baozi,Beijing noodles are my favorit
saratdear
Any chicken dish along with chappati or parotta (Indian dish). I haven't experimented with any dishes outside India, so I can't say about that. Generally I like non-veg more, and I like to have it either roasted, or very spicy. Smile
Ophois
I like smoked meats.
I should have taken pictures for deanhills, because I had this 11 pound ham(almost 5 kilos). Now, I have recently built a BBQ grill/smoker, and I smoked this ham on there for almost 6 hours. As I turned it, I basted it in a mixture of coconut milk, lemon and orange juice, garlic, a little pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey, pepper and some other spices.

It reminded me of Polynesian ham, except that it had this very heavy smoky flavor, in addition to all the sweet and savory of the liquids and spices. It was freakishly good. I can never pick a favorite dish, but that was my current favorite. At least, until I make another big meal... maybe today.
nigam
love my own....filipino dishes....pansit, humba, lechon baboy, lechon manok, lechon kanding, lechon baka...for sea foods, i want lato, kinilawng isda, baked scallops, and many too mention...

hmmm.....i love pasta and pizza too....
tony
Not sure if I've answered this before but my favourite dish is a meal called Nasi Pattaya. Has anyone else experienced it? It is served in Malaysia but I believe it is from Pattaya Thailand, or from Indonesia. The dish is made by frying an egg omelet and using it to wrap fried rice, chicken, chili peppers, and onions. It's served with chili sauce on top. Spicy and amazing! (at least... I love it). Again, has anyone else had this dish?
Ghost900
I think Pizza would be my favorite dish. I like a lot of foods though, so not sure exactly what I really enjoy the most. Chile is one of my favorites as well.
Ophois
tony wrote:
Not sure if I've answered this before but my favourite dish is a meal called Nasi Pattaya.
Yes! I actually have made that. Apparently, there are a whole lot of different ways to make it, but I only did it one time. I used Thai Sriracha sauce, is that what you had on it?
gh0strec0n_legit
Any italian dishes really. Chicken parm with pasta is my favorite especially if its a good sauce. My moms plain chicken cutlets are also killer i love it.
Asap170
I love scalaps and shrimp in pasta with laguni noodles, and butter. It taste so good and then you eat a lot of it and then your stuck in the bathroom if you know what I mean.... Rolling Eyes
goutha
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:
Any italian dishes really.

I love italian food too.

Asian food is not bad also. Chinese cuisine and japanese are the best in Asia.
crossroads
I have to say that my all time favorite dish to have for a nice dinner would be lasagna. For my birthday dinner we always have a nice big lasagna. We get everyone to come over to the house and its just great to be able to gather around the table and enjoy talking and eating together as one big family. Ive always loved those type of meals that you can just have one large dish in the middle of the table and everyone just gets to serve them selves and have a great time with dinner. Also another great part of lasagna is the fact that the next day and next day and next day it tastes great as left overs. I some times eat it cold or warm it up, no matter which way I love it.
Bluedoll
A simple meal of three food groups. Something high in proten maybe, a meat, roast beef, a basic like potatoes and a veg peas or corn for example. I like a good meal once a day but a favorite during the week but not every night. Other foods fish, soups, all veggies and now and then something junky.
deanhills
Toast and marmalade for breakfast can be a wonderful meal for breakfast together with a nice pot of favourite brewed tea.
natilovesmike
My favorite food is simple lemon chicken with white rice....sounds like hospital food, but it's the best! it's light and I still find it very flavorful. Here in the US people tend to add spices, sauces, marinades, etc to everything. In Argentina we don't use those so much. Salt, oil and maybe vinegar for salads, Salt and maybe chimichurri for grilled meat and in most restaurants you probably won't even find a pepper shaker...just the salt.
deanhills
natilovesmike wrote:
My favorite food is simple lemon chicken with white rice....sounds like hospital food, but it's the best! it's light and I still find it very flavorful. Here in the US people tend to add spices, sauces, marinades, etc to everything. In Argentina we don't use those so much. Salt, oil and maybe vinegar for salads, Salt and maybe chimichurri for grilled meat and in most restaurants you probably won't even find a pepper shaker...just the salt.
If you say "lemon chicken" I'm thinking lemon chicken a la Chinese, and I find that quite rich, usually. So I would be curious to know how people from Argentina prepare their "lemon chicken". What are the ingredients usually, and how does it compare with the Chinese version?
supernova1987a
Newest: Spinach archidoke dip.
Donutey
San Antonio Burgers with fresh pickles on the side.

The hamburgers are made with oatmeal and onions mixed in the meat, the pickles are cucumbers that have been in vinegar for only a few days (most people hate these lol).
detsucks
Love asian food xD Love the fried rice, pho, bun bo hue, the lot Very Happy
Crinoid
Good question. I already forgot that there could be one: after moving to a country with different kind of agriculture, food preferences and food preservation, it takes all time and energy to find the digestible, healthy while affordable food, without side effects and objectionable taste. Permanent battle for years, as a hunter of hunter-gatherer ages Crying or Very sad

Interestingly, as years pass, the tastes change: when I had a favourite dish, the first was national equivalent of ravioles, that was replaced by the same with cottage cheese filling.
Greatking
veges and rice hmm love it. i can toss a few veges together and eat with rice. its always good, and cause u can do anything different with veges there are somany of them.
ankitdatashn
Everybody has a favourite dish.My favourite dish is a dish my mother makes to perfection.I think everybody's favouirte dish is his/her mom-made food.Bcoz it has a real taste which no other in the world has.Everyone thimk in dat manner.Mom-made food is the best food in the world.Also bcoz we are eating it from our childhood .Also bcoz it is made in the way which we love

Mom made food rocks!
MechatheSlag
bloody beef

mmm
ronbonzo
Smoked meatloaf.
Here is a recipe.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatloaf.html
Insanity
I really like chili. It's so hearty and filling and tastes great. Not to mention that it's ridiculously easy to cook too.
jigoku05
I love anything japanese!
deanhills
ankitdatashn wrote:
Everybody has a favourite dish.My favourite dish is a dish my mother makes to perfection.I think everybody's favouirte dish is his/her mom-made food.Bcoz it has a real taste which no other in the world has.Everyone thimk in dat manner.Mom-made food is the best food in the world.Also bcoz we are eating it from our childhood .Also bcoz it is made in the way which we love

Mom made food rocks!
That is very true. I remember when I was a student and used to go "home", my mom had a fantastic macaroni and cheese type lasagna dish, that was out of this world. Anything she did was amazing. I really don't like macaroni and cheese, but the way she made it was perfect. She had many unique recipes that tasted wonderful. Sadly she passed away a year ago. I'm not into pasta of any variety any longer.
Clare
well
at this moment, i really want some KEBABS!!!! Razz Razz
i also love Sichuan Cuisine i love the spicy~~~ Very Happy
deanhills
I'm into sweet and sour spicy myself right now. I am trying out vegetarian, and for the first time in my life beans. So have learned to soak and cook them properly, and the fun part is to mix it with stuff like tomato, green pepper, lots of garlic, lots of finely cut ginger, cayenne pepper some sea salt fried in two tablespoons of organic coconut oil. Then to add a half cup to a full cup of beans. I particularly like chickpeas and green lentils but am now experimenting with some other legumes as well. After that I add some vegetables and when all of it is cooked add a dash of red grape vinegar and a teaspoon of honey for the sweet and sour taste. Goes well with the cayenne pepper as well.
cadbrent
I love rice dishes.
deanhills
cadbrent wrote:
I love rice dishes.
Me too, particularly Thai and Italian Risotto. Although lately I'm not that much into Italian food as I used to be. More into Thai and Indian foods.
standready
I don't know. Right now I am on what is called a "see-food" diet for the holidays. What that means is "if I see food, I eat"! laugh!!
timothymartin
My favorite dish is one that is homemade by someone else for me.
meep
My favorite dish is mashed potatoes and a sausage combined with any kind of green vegetable Very Happy
ankur209
Chowmein.... Razz

I'm damn crazy hungry for chowmein ,maggi....Infact specifying noodles would be more appropriate here.. Wink

Noodles....Noodles.....Noodles... Laughing
Cheeldash
Pasta with cheese. Ideally it should be made with 3 different type of cheese, but almost always it's with 2 types.
standready
All depends on what I am in the mood for at the moment. I am not a picky eater so if out with others I will let them decide on the place. I will find something on the menu to try.
sudipbanerjee
I am a bengali. Like most bengali people I like fish dishes with rice. Chicken dish with rice is also my favourite.
Segun3d
Shewolf wrote:
I simply do love food, can't live without it of course.
Here in Norway we got a kind of sandwich/toast meal, which is basicly made up of salad, bread and raw meat. It got the name "tartar sandwich", or something like that. I think it's possibly the best dish I can imagine the taste of. Except from sushi, which is very much the same thing, after all.
Laughing hello am scarlord have you had of pounded yam and egusi soup or fried rice with chicken in africa we have differnt variaety of dishes and i can say am proud to be an african guy!
Segun3d
meep wrote:
My favorite dish is mashed potatoes and a sausage combined with any kind of green vegetable Very Happy
Evil or Very Mad what type of food is that in africa we consume amala or pounded yam and egusi soup
mukesh
Its hard to clear which dish i like to much but 1st my choce vegetable (but not all vegetable) and 2nd my choice checken (in a month 3 or 4 times not more). Then after fast food (with egg and Chicken).
deanhills
I love food. So am now into moutabal and hummus. Moutabal is the flesh of roasted egg plant, blended with tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, olive oil, and maybe a bit of cayenne pepper and salt. Hummus is chick peas, blended with tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and also a bit of cayenne pepper and salt. It is usually served with pita bread, but one could probably use it with crackers as well, or with celery and carrot sticks, or other vegetables.
xevo
lasagna (Frosta) - with a lot of cheese! :]
or pizza...
and a grilled cheese!
Ok, now I'm hungry.... Crying or Very sad
prinsloo
I am in love with any kind of food that has mangoes.
deanhills
prinsloo wrote:
I am in love with any kind of food that has mangoes.
Agreed. Especially as a mango juice the way they do it here in the UAE. I can live on only that for days. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a little now .... Smile ) I have my favourite mango juice places all over the UAE. The best one yet I found at a little cafeteria in Fujairah on the East Coast of the UAE. I can't quite remember the name, I think it was called the Green Restaurant.
jondahlberg
roasted rib eye on the bone with a nice mushroom ketchup and a garlic infused potato mash to go with it. Smile
deanhills
jondahlberg wrote:
roasted rib eye on the bone with a nice mushroom ketchup and a garlic infused potato mash to go with it. Smile
I have not had meat for ages, and this sounds to die for. Which restaurant would you go to for your best roasted rib eye yet, and the potato mash. Personally I probably would rather go for a salad with the rib, but the potato mash has my attention too Smile
marknelson
i like Rice

any kind of rice but specially Italian Rice
TrishJessen
I like Noodles, Pizza and Chicken burgers.
dapopeyoh
My favourite food is fried rice and salad.
astuart
Chicken Chowmin is my favorite dish
goutha
dapopeyoh wrote:
My favourite food is fried rice and salad.

Chinese food is sooo goooood!

I love shrimp fried rice, general tao, shangai soup! mmm Rolling Eyes
deanhills
I don't think many people outside the Middle East are familiar with garlic sauce in the Middle East. I've tried to make it many times but have never had success with it. It does not have the consistency of a sauce, more a consistency of beaten up egg whites, pure white and feather light. I've been told by the Lebanese Restaurants, where I find the sauce that they process it from plenty of garlic bulbs that have been almost frozen, while drizzling it bit by bit with lemon juice and canola oil (definitely not olive oil). I tried to make it, but so far have flunked it every time as I tried to use a blender and looks as though a really good food processor is needed for the job. The key is to drizzle the oil, and it has to be canola oil (olive oil can make it bitter and dark in colour) and fresh lemon juice a teeny bit at a time. It is amazingly delicious, especially for dipping Lebanese food such as lamb kebabs or any other of their mouthwatering dishes. I'm not a hamburger fan, but think this could be awesome in a burger as well. I still can't get enough of it. I was delighted a few weeks ago to find that Waitrose in Dubai Mall carries garlic sauce as well. I like to have it as a snack with muttabal (baba ghanoush), which is an egg plant tahini version of hummus. Not all muttabal (baba ghanoush) is equal, as that requires an expert touch to get it right as well, so if I am in doubt I get hummus, but Waitrose at Dubai Mall got the muttabal right too, including not killing the taste with too much salt.

I found a YouTube kitchen demonstration show of how to make the garlic sauce, just to give an idea of how it is made! It is probably the best show I've come across as Dede brings special insights to the making of this sauce including that practice makes perfect (it takes a while to master the recipe):

Here is a demonstration for making muttabal (baba ghanoush):
CheDragon
I´m from mexico, but I love lebanese food
deanhills
CheDragon wrote:
I'm probably more into their "snack foods", like moutabal, hummus, garlic sauce and fatoush salad. Very occasionally I also like their quesadilla version of lamb meat. A thin layer of very delicious ground lamb in between paper thin bread-like casing. Dipped in the garlic sauce, which is equally light with the consistency of beaten egg white, and that is a treat to die for! Very Happy
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
CheDragon wrote:
I'm probably more into their "snack foods", like moutabal, hummus, garlic sauce and fatoush salad. Very occasionally I also like their quesadilla version of lamb meat. A thin layer of very delicious ground lamb in between paper thin bread-like casing. Dipped in the garlic sauce, which is equally light with the consistency of beaten egg white, and that is a treat to die for! Very Happy

Wow, that sounds really nice, cheers for making me hungry! Laughing
emanuel2
wow really many people have the same taste then me,
I like all kind of Italian food (pizza, pasta, etc),
of course I also like steaks, but who (between us non-vegetarians) doesn't? Smile
deanhills
emanuel2 wrote:
I of course I also like steaks, but who (between us non-vegetarians) doesn't? Smile
I have not had steak in years I think. Prime reason is that I like to know where the steak comes from and how it has been processed in terms of storage etc. If it is a restaurant with a really good rating, such as in the US with some really good prime rib restaurants, then I will become a non-vegetarian in an instant. I had my best prime rib ever at the Churchill's Restaurant in the Queen Mary Hotel in Los Angeles. But I can imagine there has to be even better restaurants like that elsewhere in the States?
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
emanuel2 wrote:
I of course I also like steaks, but who (between us non-vegetarians) doesn't? Smile
I have not had steak in years I think. Prime reason is that I like to know where the steak comes from and how it has been processed in terms of storage etc. If it is a restaurant with a really good rating, such as in the US with some really good prime rib restaurants, then I will become a non-vegetarian in an instant. I had my best prime rib ever at the Churchill's Restaurant in the Queen Mary Hotel in Los Angeles. But I can imagine there has to be even better restaurants like that elsewhere in the States?

I'm with you on the source of the meat thing, near my home I'm lucky to have a couple of organic & enviro-friendly farms which have on site butchers. Sort of psuedo-countryside centres with educational stuff for kids and you can even get to see all the animals living conditions.
Occombe Farm, Riverford Farm
OK, the produce is a little more expensive than supermarket meat, but you can absolutely taste the difference - same with their lovely milk, which isn't homogenized, so you have to shake the carton to seperate the cream Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
OK, the produce is a little more expensive than supermarket meat, but you can absolutely taste the difference - same with their lovely milk, which isn't homogenized, so you have to shake the carton to seperate the cream Smile
That sounds absolutely perfect! Nice to know that England has some natural places where one can enjoy a high standard of food and water. You're lucky! I can't remember last when I've seen milk like that. As a kid we used to get milk delivered in glass bottles, and one could see the cream at the top, all of which was really delicious. I've stopped dairy as well for the same reason as I stopped eating steak. I've learned that apart from injecting the poor cows with plenty of hormones and milking them almost to death, that the yogurt for example is made from powdered and not fresh milk.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
As a kid we used to get milk delivered in glass bottles, and one could see the cream at the top, all of which was really delicious

It's surprising how many people don't remember how good milk really used to be before homogenization, even the colour is more natural looking compared to the pure white version found in supermarkets.

Back to the OP (or perhaps loosely swinging back to the OP anyway), my favourite dish at a restaurant is anything in one of the local bistros etc who source their food from the local farms. It really is shocking when you taste the difference in quality of the produce. Yum!
matin
I like BBQ. Smile
gangi
A catalan dish: "Calçots"
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Back to the OP (or perhaps loosely swinging back to the OP anyway), my favourite dish at a restaurant is anything in one of the local bistros etc who source their food from the local farms. It really is shocking when you taste the difference in quality of the produce. Yum!
Agreed. Particularly in the UAE most of the produce we purchase have been imported, and it would make sense that they must have been treated with something to survive all of the transportation and survive weeks after. For example vine tomatoes from Holland, and carrots from Australia. Oranges and apples from the US, Iran and South Africa, etc. etc. I have no choice but to use those, as the local produce is not that good at all. I'm suspicious of the kind of local fertilizer that is used too. I try and keep an open mind as currently for the first time we really have very nice tomatoes that get rotten if kept for too long (that to me is a good sign :>), but in general imported produce is the lesser of two evils. Back to the OP I've forgotten what real "fresh" tastes like. Closest I got was in the summer when I had local coconuts in Thailand. They came directly from the trees and I just could not get enough of them, they were like a meal in their own right and freshly available in all of the local restaurants.
rjraaz
I like all south Indian dishes.

special Idli dosa .

just their name watering my mouth.
iman
Steaks, either beef or pork, as long as they're well done.
I'm a major fan of high-protein food.
panicmanic
Tofu Pad Thai........ YUM!
watersoul
panicmanic wrote:
Tofu Pad Thai........ YUM!

Wow, yep, that takes me back to a street market trader stall on the harbour/dock area in the town of Krabi in Thailand - he cooked an amazing soybean-curd Pad-Thai Smile Mmm
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
I like all south Indian dishes.

special Idli dosa .

just their name watering my mouth.
That's just done it to me Very Happy I'm sallivating for a dosa masala now. Idli is also great, but I particularly like the green chutney (with coconut) that accompanies the two dishes, as well as vegetable curries.

How about appam? That to me is a nice compromise between an idli and a dosa. Actually my favourite. Easier to eat than the dosa as well.
ratanegra
I don't have one but four or five current favorite dishes. It's hard to decide between such delicious meals:

- Pizza (any kind of it)
- Lasagna
- Hamburger
- Hot dog
- Pasta

I think I wouldn't be able to live happily without any of those.
rickyponting
Brussels Sprouts Gratin is my favorite dish
deanhills
rickyponting wrote:
Brussels Sprouts Gratin is my favorite dish
You're joking! Aren't you Shocked To me there can't be a worse smell than brussels sprouts. But you are joking aren't you? Very Happy
CheDragon
I´m from Mexico and I really like chilaquiles

Fried tortilla with sauce, avocado, onion and sour cream
scottsnyder
My favorite dish is Toad-in-the-Hole.
StuartBroad
I like Chicken Biryani with raita salad and bottle
Andrew27
My favorite dish is Brussels Sprouts.
deanhills
Andrew27 wrote:
Shocked You've got to be kidding! Are you serious? Twisted Evil Don't think there is another vegetable that can stink up a place like Brussels Sprouts does, except perhaps cabbage.
adri
deanhills wrote:
Andrew27 wrote:
Shocked You've got to be kidding! Are you serious? Twisted Evil Don't think there is another vegetable that can stink up a place like Brussels Sprouts does, except perhaps cabbage.

Brussels Sprouts are very tasty actually. Smile At first I didn't like them because no one of my age (let's say 10 years old) ate Brussels Sprouts, so even it you liked it, you just thought you didn't like them because no one else liked it. But then I found out that I enjoyed eating them. They are very good with some black pepper on it or in soups. Smile

And cabbage, hmmm... Razz I really like cauliflower actually (in my language it's called 'flowercabbage', if you translate it literally). Smile They are very good with mashed potatoes (with some milk/cream and some butter) mixed together.

Not mixed like in a blender, but just adding the cauliflower and stirring it with the mashed potatoes.

I could go on all they about local foods here. Very Happy

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Andrew27 wrote:

Brussels Sprouts are very tasty actually. Smile At first I didn't like them because no one of my age (let's say 10 years old) ate Brussels Sprouts, so even it you liked it, you just thought you didn't like them because no one else liked it. But then I found out that I enjoyed eating them. They are very good with some black pepper on it or in soups. Smile

And cabbage, hmmm... Razz I really like cauliflower actually (in my language it's called 'flowercabbage', if you translate it literally). Smile They are very good with mashed potatoes (with some milk/cream and some butter) mixed together.

Not mixed like in a blender, but just adding the cauliflower and stirring it with the mashed potatoes.

I could go on all they about local foods here. Very Happy
adri
Me too. I think maybe I should go fasting when I am in Thailand, but I love Thai food so that is going to be real challenge. I'm going to try anyway to live on coconut juice. It is an amazing drink if it comes from fresh coconut. I had plenty of those in Koh Samui last year, so wonder what they will taste like in Bangkok ..... Twisted Evil Ha! Now that you mention mashed potato, when I visited Guernsey a couple of years ago one could get Thai vegetables in a baked potato. Now that was a perfect dish, especially since the cook was Thai as well. The spuds in Guernsey were of the best I ever tasted. They know how to grow potatoes and cook them. Maybe it is like that all over Europe, wonder whether anyone has tasted the potatoes and potato dishes of the countries in Europe and made a comparison as to the country with the best potatoes? Very Happy
BalDrick
fried fish is my favorite dish.
Allister
Chicken Bruschetta
ankitdatashn
scottsnyder wrote:
My favorite dish is Toad-in-the-Hole.

That's most weird name of a dish I have heard till date!! Very Happy
cybersa
I like all Indian Dish.
Harrison12
Steak and Kidney Pie is my favorite food.
IceCreamTruck
I like all things Mexican except Entomatadas and Enchiladas! Tomato is not my thing although I do like salsa hot or mild.

Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas, Nachos ... these people were on a roll coming up with good food! The basic ingredients of steak, rice, beans, spices, onions, chilies, jalapeños, goat cheese, and cheddar cheese... ugh I'm making myself hungry just thinking about Mexican food! d'oh!

I also prefer Italian stone cooked pizza. I think what we call pizza here in the states should really be called carbohydrate pie. It's not the same!! Here in the states the only authentic pizza I know comes form "Smashing Tomato" which is kind of a pricey restaurant, but they know how to cook a pizza the right way, and, like Europe, you can get a glass of wine with your pizza.

Food quality here in the US has been dropping in the recent past which happens around the time of bad economy, and Taco Bell was even forced to stop calling it beef... I think they use "meat filling" now! Yuck Yuck Yuck... finally the truth comes out. I don't eat anything but the steak at taco bell... I basically pay extra to make sure there is actual meat on my tacos/burritos.

BalDrick wrote:
fried fish is my favorite dish.

You're a poet and didn't know it! Smile
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I also prefer Italian stone cooked pizza.
What does stone cooked pizza mean, and what is the difference Question Smile
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I also prefer Italian stone cooked pizza.
What does stone cooked pizza mean, and what is the difference Question Smile

It starts with the crust... Europeans use a classic, authentic, pizza crust that is more of a pizza crust to me, then a dessert type crust that is used here in America. We have all these rising crusts, or deep dish pizza (can be good in it's own right), but they've gotten away from the appeal of traditional Italian crust.

The next part is cooking on a stone fire place which is heated by wood. This is where the real magic happens! The fire burns or caramelizes some of the crust... but obviously not too much. It's a flat surface, above the fire made of stone usually with a stone arch or window for putting pizzas inside. It doesn't take long to cook a pizza in an oven or a stone oven, but the stone oven gives the pizza a great smoky taste.

I imagine this is how they've been cooking pizza the longest, and Americas took the idea and we've made it our own, but I don't think Pizza Hut or Papa John's can even hold a candle to real stone cooked pizza, and I've thought about opening my own pizza place and delivering stone cooked pizzas. I'd be in hog heaven especially since I'd own the place and I would get to eat there all the time! Smile

Where are you at Dean? Where do you live? We'll work out finding you a place to get a good stone cooked pizza.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Where are you at Dean? Where do you live? We'll work out finding you a place to get a good stone cooked pizza.
I live in the United Arab Emirates, and just discovered anything to do with cooking pizza around here is done in a stone fired set-up. The pizza shops are mostly facing the sidewalk, so one can see how they make your pizza, called Cheese Manakish over here. The guys use long paddles, stick the raw manakish on the end of the paddle and shove it into this fired set-up with a brick kiln. Takes a few minutes and it is done. Part I don't like however is that the bread they use is a bit thick for my taste. I like a very thin crust, such as the Dr. Oetker frozen crusts. That is the best ever. I'm not very partial to pizza, but in the rare odd occasion when I feel like some, I usually get a Dr. Oetker's and add some extra veggies to it. We also have the usual American franchises such as Pizza Hut and those places I really don't like at all. I'm not sure whether they use a stone fired set-up. But those are the places with the deep dish pizzas and the most awful smelly salad bars, where everything is drenched in some kind of mayonnaise or strange dressing. Strangely enough the locally made pizzas (manakishes) taste much nicer.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I live in the United Arab Emirates, and just discovered anything to do with cooking pizza around here is done in a stone fired set-up. The pizza shops are mostly facing the sidewalk, so one can see how they make your pizza, called Cheese Manakish over here. The guys use long paddles, stick the raw manakish on the end of the paddle and shove it into this fired set-up with a brick kiln. Takes a few minutes and it is done. Part I don't like however is that the bread they use is a bit thick for my taste. I like a very thin crust, such as the Dr. Oetker frozen crusts. That is the best ever. I'm not very partial to pizza, but in the rare odd occasion when I feel like some, I usually get a Dr. Oetker's and add some extra veggies to it. We also have the usual American franchises such as Pizza Hut and those places I really don't like at all. I'm not sure whether they use a stone fired set-up. But those are the places with the deep dish pizzas and the most awful smelly salad bars, where everything is drenched in some kind of mayonnaise or strange dressing. Strangely enough the locally made pizzas (manakishes) taste much nicer.

Oh, you are so lucky! Everywhere you look is stone cooked pizza! I would love it there! Smile

Americans use ovens to cook their pizza, and it's not the same. They also don't use the same type of crust because of this.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Americans use ovens to cook their pizza, and it's not the same. They also don't use the same type of crust because of this.
Does this mean then that the crust you prefer is slightly crunchy, instead of goohey and chewey? Smile
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Does this mean then that the crust you prefer is slightly crunchy, instead of goohey and chewey? Smile

I tried to explain, but it's hard, and I couldn't find the words. Yes, and no. I know the crust I like is usually very thin, and does allow you to pick up the slice off the plate without making a mess, usually, as the back edge is firm, but the tip droops because of the moisture in the sauce. Large bubbles form in the crust edge that has no sauce on it, and it looks like the kind of crust I'd end up with if I made pizza from scratch at home. It's a much more normal type of bread, and doesn't have a bunch of crazy ingredients. Just flour and water basically.

I usually like it with ham -- percutio is what they usually call it. I can't imagine pizza getting more authentic then this as the ingredients are all very Italian (mozzarella, oregano, and usually olives), and all the pizzas usually still have an Italian name at the places I like to eat.

I hate olives! Yuck!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I usually like it with ham -- percutio is what they usually call it. I can't imagine pizza getting more authentic then this as the ingredients are all very Italian (mozzarella, oregano, and usually olives), and all the pizzas usually still have an Italian name at the places I like to eat.

I hate olives! Yuck!
OK, looks then as though I don't like Italian pizza. Now than you mention it, I remember I once had a pizza at an Italian restaurant, and did not like it, although was told this is the real pizza. I like a nice mixture of ingredients. Believe it or not, after our recent discussions I was salivating for a Dr. Oetker pizza, and found my favourite "vegetale one". I don't know how they do it, as the tomato in it (baby ones) tasted fresh, there are also a bunch of other ingredients, but great ones like all colours of bell peppers etc. What I like about the bell peppers is that they must have roasted them, as they taste fresh and not rubbery as some may do. This pizza tonight was a winner. I was more or less in seventh heaven as I was savouring it. Another reason why I like this particular brand is that there is not too much extra salt in it. More like all the flavours of the veggies getting together, and the salt coming mostly from the cheese, and perhaps a little bit with the crust. The crust is quite thin though.

Here's what it looks like (just discovered it has your favourite olives in the ingredients Twisted Evil):

Source: Dr. Oetker
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
(just discovered it has your favourite olives in the ingredients Twisted Evil):

Dean, you are so funny. Smile I hope you enjoyed it and it sounds like it was good even though it wasn't cooked in the traditional Italian way. They should call this American Pizza and the other Italian Pizza for less confusion. I will still eat good pizza, but I prefer authentic by far.

I also have been watching the salt that I eat. it's good that it is lower, and I hope lower than similar brands. It's amazing how much salt I have eliminated from my diet, and how salty things taste to me now. I can now lower my salt intact naturally because I simply cannot stand that much salt on things now and I completely avoid salty snacks I used to love and eat regularly.

Food tastes better to me now as well. Salt flavors food, but I feel it takes away from some flavors or overpowers them and you don't even remember they are there unless you lower the salt a lot. Peanuts taste really sweet when you eat them, but you never know this flavor is there unless you start eating alot of unsalted peanuts. When peanuts are salted they no longer have this flavor that I have rediscovered, and it makes eating all that salt completely pointless. Besides, salty peanuts are really just used to make you thirsty so you'll buy a drink. You don't need to do this to yourself at home too.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can now lower my salt intact naturally because I simply cannot stand that much salt on things now and I completely avoid salty snacks I used to love and eat regularly.
I like natural sea salt, but only if I really need to use it in my cooking. I always use a base of ginger, garlic, and onion, and some foods that I mix it with, like pumpkin for example, just don't need extra salt. As far as restaurants are concerned, the foods that seem to be the saltiest in my experience are from Chinese restaurants.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can now lower my salt intact naturally because I simply cannot stand that much salt on things now and I completely avoid salty snacks I used to love and eat regularly.
I like natural sea salt, but only if I really need to use it in my cooking. I always use a base of ginger, garlic, and onion, and some foods that I mix it with, like pumpkin for example, just don't need extra salt. As far as restaurants are concerned, the foods that seem to be the saltiest in my experience are from Chinese restaurants.

I agree... they also use flavor enhancers like MSG which can upset my stomach pretty bad. I used to love Chinese buffets for the variety of foods on them, but I've learned that the rest of the day and next day I will be cursing the invention of MSG.
james12
My favorite food is lazzania.
DawsonGabriel
I like Italian Pasta Pizza
Helios
I love eating and cooking Italian food. I'm a big fan of Italian cuisine.
Actually my favourite dish is the most simple and homey pasta with ragù Smile
pankoval
I like Russian cuisine. Fried potato with sourcream, pancakes, pelmeni(russian ravioly)
deanhills
Helios wrote:
Do you cook all of your own food? Every night .... ? Do you plan your meals? I'm extremely undisciplined and am trying to visualize an act to follow. Very Happy
Helios
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
Do you cook all of your own food? Every night .... ? Do you plan your meals? I'm extremely undisciplined and am trying to visualize an act to follow. Very Happy

I cook my own food from a young age, mostly because it's fun. I plan the meals but I don't follow any recipes - just general ideas. I think that's following recipes strictly isn't creative plus it's fun to mix ingredients and see how they interact.
Everyone's got their own hobby, I guess this is one of mine.

pankoval wrote:
I like Russian cuisine. Fried potato with sourcream, pancakes, pelmeni(russian ravioly)

Yeah I can relate to that. Russian and east-European cuisine rocks!
the siberian Pelmeni, blins (with honey, sourcream and even meat), the famous Borscht soup, pirozhki.
Also central asian dishes such as manti and chiburekki are favourites. Also know how to make them as they are very good dishes.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:

I am not married, so this is also a concern of mine. I love to cook homemade stuff like breads and cakes, and to cook my own full course meals, but who has time for all that every day? not me, sadly.

If you find a plan that works for you and creates more time, then let me know Dean... I'm very interested in what works for other people to fix this issue.
Jacobgoblin
My favorite dish is:
Shrimp and pork potstickers, teriyaki chicken wings, and watermelon for dessert.
cresvale
should be a lot.
IceCreamTruck
MikeTodd wrote:
My favorite dish is Chicken.....i like Chicken very much....

My favorite dish is steak. I love well cookied read meat. If we were going buffet style then I'd choose the surf and turf with a side of chicken! Smile I like chineese buffets because you can usually get a large assortment of meats.
sanalskumar
I love chicken. Wink
ExMachina
Oh god...how can you decide? I love food soooo much. Laughing

Anything with chicken is almost always delicious, particularly rotisserie style. Razz
chic4u03
i love any cook for beef somefilipino foods,japanese..i can eat everything if my tonque love the taste..LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
MikeTodd wrote:
My favorite dish is Chicken.....i like Chicken very much....

My favorite dish is steak. I love well cookied read meat. If we were going buffet style then I'd choose the surf and turf with a side of chicken! Smile I like chineese buffets because you can usually get a large assortment of meats.
Must say the best steak I ever had (in memory) was at the Queen Mary Hotel in LA - think it was Churchill's Restaurant. Prime rib.
Very Happy
rooterf
Vlien wrote:

dumplings, do you know?
bacati55
Hello

My favorite dish is chicken drum sticks.
I like its juicy flavor and taste.

Thanks
A2zchild
deanhills
I had a terrific fish curry (hamour - local fish in Dubai) yesterday afternoon. At Dubai Mall. It was different as we are used to Kerala type southern Indian curries, and this recipe was from the North of India.
Abbey_babyx
Really hard too be fair, erm. I cant choose! I love lots of foods! But if i had too choose one it would have too be egg friend rice with curry sauce:)x
NeilHarward
Rice with Mutton are my favorite dish.
Vanilla
Helios wrote:
pankoval wrote:

Yeah I can relate to that. Russian and east-European cuisine rocks!
the siberian Pelmeni, blins (with honey, sourcream and even meat), the famous Borscht soup, pirozhki.
Also central asian dishes such as manti and chiburekki are favourites. Also know how to make them as they are very good dishes.

I'm looking forward to prove a Borscht soup! I saw it last night at a culinary show and my mouth was watering. I'm hungry just by looking at this topic. Rolling Eyes

I love italian cuisine. My family is a quarter italian, half german and a quarter portuguese, so I got to know a lot of dishes from these three countries. Italian is by far my favorite. I love to cook and I'm very good with pasta. Although I love italian, my favorite dish ever is a brazilian adaptation of the russian dish called Befstróganov. It is made of beef, mustard and sour cream. The brazilians added tomato sauce and french fries. Yummy!
Hello_World
Well... it is too hard to choose 1 favourite dish of all time.

I guess at the moment I am really into roasted turkey thighs and drumsticks, Mmmmm. I'll have to stop really soon as it is almost Christmas and the price gets really high over Christmas.

I love lamb on the spit, I love Spanish flavours like Chirozo in rice, I love a good cassarole and pretty much any good hearty Irish meals.

Or maybe my very favourite indulgence is French Toast with bacon and maple syrup and a strong latte.
DrewWilson
I love sea food like Fried Fish.
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
I'm looking forward to prove a Borscht soup! I saw it last night at a culinary show and my mouth was watering. I'm hungry just by looking at this topic. Rolling Eyes
I love a really good Borscht soup myself. The last really great one I had was a few years ago in Sharm El Sheikh at a Russian Restaurant.
Very Happy
Bradford23
My favorite dish is Chinese rice.....
alvarorojas4
I love Lasagna, or the Pasta with Chicken and Meat :3
DrewWilson
My favorite food is Broast.
pamela7777
I love to cook from scratch I use my great grandmothers secret sauce when I make spaghetti. I also love to bake cakes from scratch gotta try not to bake too many or i gain way too much weight lol.
deanhills
Aha .... looks as though we're having a post frenzy. Not sure what my favourite food is these days. Think I've gone off food for now.
Insanity
I like going out to each raw fish or sashimi from Japanese restaurants. They have a great taste to them, but they are expensive though
omidz
I love to have rare steak all day everyday! Smile
Deline
I'm so into the "basics" in food, I eat practically anything. Rice and beans, a good beef or fried egg..Or anything with potatoes! *_*
chartcentral
You can call me typical... Fried chicken and spaghetti seem to be my favorite food (as evidenced by the frequency of my choice to eat these). Hehe. Smile
spinout
This weekand I was on a boat and they had Swedish west coast sallat... wow loads of it....

So that is my favorite right now.
steeve
My favorite dish is Palak Paneer with fried rice....
CreativeVeganCooking
My favorite dish is vegetable pizza and my favorite dessert is ice cream.
My favorite cuisine is Italian. I also like Asian food (aka Chinese, Korean, etc.).
And I cook most of the food myself. . . . (Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies.)
Smile
deanhills
CreativeVeganCooking wrote:
My favorite dish is vegetable pizza and my favorite dessert is ice cream.
My favorite cuisine is Italian. I also like Asian food (aka Chinese, Korean, etc.).
And I cook most of the food myself. . . . (Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies.)
Smile
I fancy cooking myself too, in preference to eating out these days. Now and then I go out as there are some great authentic curry restaurants around, but there is nothing that beats original ingredients and hitting it just right, like I had tonight. They were all frozen leftovers. There was a tub of a mushroom brew that was made with ginger, garlic, plenty of leeks and fresh pineapple pulp, a little tub of coconut cream, one of chicken with some of the same ingredients as the mushrooms, some asian style frozen vegetables, and some leftover butter beans. Just threw them all together, and what came out of that, by fluke, was a great surprise. Tasted right on. Razz
pravojednostavno
Pizza Pizza Pizza
sudipbanerjee
For home environment: Rice with biulir dal and aloo posto.
For Restaurant: Mixed fried rice with chilly chicken.
FlaffyTedd
Spaghetti Italian and Shrimp and Spaghetti are my favorite dishes...
dude_xyx
I like spicy food a lot. Specially all types of spicy food from different Asian countries. Those spicy green papaya salad and green chicken curry from Thailand, Spicy seafood or meat curries from Sri lanka even yellow color rice dish call biriyani from India and Pakistan.
deanhills
I had a tremendous fish curry at the Cape Town Fish Market (restaurant) last Friday evening. It instantly became my favourite dish. Fish was incredible and curry different - subtly blended. One of the best I've had - last best was in Sri Lanka. Think there is an art to getting spices to blend into a perfect curry, rather than an overpowering curry taste.
mrshadow
Rice, a lot of rice!
mshafiq
I also like barbecue chicken with salad and i like okra too.
I am not food picker, I can eat what ever is available.
deanhills
Tonight I had an interesting dish of Yam/grated ginger/leeks/organic white beans/organic vegetable stock. Cooked and mashed together with generous dollops of butter. Total perfection. Cool
spinout
hm, today pizza.
Bikerman
This week I will mostly be eating .....
(This will be funny to people familar with 'The Fast Show' and mean nothing to everyone else Smile )
Superhitsongs
Hyderabad Biryani
Reyes199115
Pizza for lifeeee.
rjraaz
I like Daliya with Namkeen buttermilk.
johans
I love the local Filipino food.
mshafiq
I like to eat potatoes, peas and carrot vegetables all together.
spinout
I have grew fond of the hoi sin sauce... So ever time asian food is on the table I pour some on it. It is soya based, but more sweet.
loveandormoney
Vlien wrote:

Today?
Potato.
deanhills
Today fried up fresh organic salmon and mixed it in with a green spinach salad, chopped apple, lemon juice, three table spoons of blended fresh pine apple, pressed garlic, dash of italian salad dressing, some lemon and mint juice. Nice taste.
spinout
Went to pizza hut yesterday - not healthy but a favorite right now
tonberry
spinout wrote:
Went to pizza hut yesterday - not healthy but a favorite right now

I visit fast food places way too often when I'm drunk. When I come back home in a snake fashion and pass McDonalds and what-nots, I just can't resist temptation!
deanhills
I had a favourite and fantastic lunch dish this afternoon at the Garden Terrace of Guernsey. Baked potato with Thai Vegetable Red Curry. Vegetables were cooked to absolute perfection - still slightly crisp but not too crisp - and the curry was unbelievable, probably because the restaurant has genuine Thai preparing the food. Cool
mshafiq
I also like beef with rice in dinner.
spinout
yes beef n rice... yum yum

Right now i enjoy pasta n cheese gravy with ham....
johnhastings
Hi all

I like fish, Puri Masala and all dishes i will like all dishes with good taste specially these two dishes like most of the time in my life.
frontier12
Dude.... RESPECT TACOS!!!!!
spinout
Right now - long cooked spare ribs.