FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quiz-Poll (1)

Trivia-Quiz (1): Who, commenting on the deaths of more than half a million children, said: "I think that this is a very hard choice, but the price - we think the price is worth it." ?
Yasser Arafat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Madeleine Albright
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Pandit Nehru
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ayotollah Kohmeini
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

MaxStirner
Looking through the "Iconochasm" quiz at PoliticalCompass.org, I was astounded what so many seemingly intelligent people, many of which I have certainly admired, have allowed themselves to say.

Correct answer to this quiz-question will be provided when it runs out 30 days (or visit the links above).
zjosie729
I totally just took a guess... am I right?
Coclus
so who said it? And it would be interesting in what context?
MaxStirner
Coclus wrote:
so who said it? And it would be interesting in what context?

zjosie729 wrote:
I totally just took a guess... am I right?

This poll times out in 30 days so for the inpatient I have sent PMs with the correct answer.
palavra
i think this excuse can be acceptable.

Quote:
I must have been crazy; I should have answered the question by reframing it and pointing out the inherent flaws in the premise behind it. … As soon as I had spoken, I wished for the power to freeze time and take back those words. My reply had been a terrible mistake, hasty, clumsy, and wrong. … I had fallen into a trap and said something that I simply did not mean. That is no one’s fault but my own
MaxStirner
palavra wrote:
i think this excuse can be acceptable.

Quote:
I must have been crazy; I should have answered the question by reframing it and pointing out the inherent flaws in the premise behind it. … As soon as I had spoken, I wished for the power to freeze time and take back those words. My reply had been a terrible mistake, hasty, clumsy, and wrong. … I had fallen into a trap and said something that I simply did not mean. That is no one’s fault but my own

Everyone must judge this for him/herself. It is perhaps notable that the text you cited was from this person's biography published 6 or 7 years(?) after the original statement was made. Interestingly enough, I have found little mention of this item within this time span.

In any case, the question was intended solely as trivia. I could have just as easily used ...

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature.....Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion?To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world. ?

... or ...
George Bush Snr, in A World Transformed, 1998 wrote:
To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day hero ... assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an un-winnable urban guerilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability.

(for sources, see links in original post)