FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is Dmoz Entry

secondeye
Do anybody of you know about Dmoz Entry, I find It over net also but didn't get it. There's Something talking about submitting links on Firefox directory

Please Explain More and Also the procedure of doing it.
Thanks
badai
it's a web directory like Yahoo! Directory and Google Directory (which actually get their listing from DMOZ).

it's own by netscape, and it's original url was directory.mozilla.org, hence the name Mozilla directory. i don't know how you come up with Firefox directory.

just go to their site (dmoz.org) and click add URL to submit your url.
georgekalathil
But you have take utter care while subimtting in Dmoz, as it is very difficult to get your listing over there. DOnt try to give promotional type of title and description. Just give a simple description about your site and wait for a few months.
manav
get in dmoz nd ur r listed everywhere...

its defficult though....
Crinoid
As I understand from their rules, they:
- accept original content (not the same information, that other sites provide, only in own wording, but the information, that other sites do not have in all),
- specialized site, even 1 page full of original content (not original wording), will be listed in directory you expect it to be. But polyfunctional sites with information on different topics, will likely be placed in more general category, covering all these topics. Even in Personal websites sundirectory, if the site is named Chuck's something, or My something,
- the site should not be under construction, and shouldn't show 404 File not found pages,
- new forums with almost no content will not be included (rule about original content), nor the passworded forums without password provided - they should see the site for reviewing.
All this is posted on their website http://www.dmoz.org/, go to Suggest URL and take a look around.

Another thing: not all topics have volunteers-editors yet, and those without it tend accumulate unreviewed submissions for some time, until editors from upper directories come and review them. You can see, if your topic has an editor, at the bottom of the page. Who has some time, can apply for becoming the volunteer editor for the topic, one knows best (if it hasn't editor) and for beginners the topic should have less than 100 websites in all subdirectories of this topic.

This may fasten the reviewing process for all submissions. More editors - processing is faster.
The site is open and full of this information Smile

Hope this helps.
georgekalathil
The major advantage of getting listed in DMOZ directory is that, many other big directories import or use datas from DMOZ.So there is a higher chance that you get automatically listed in some of the big directories on the net. So go an try your best to get it listed in DMOZ.