FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Custom NimbleX - Customize your distro before downloading !

mOrpheuS
Just came across NimbleX - a minimalistic & modular live distro built (using Linux Live scripts written by the author of Slax).

There's a KDE version of NimbleX that weighs in at only 69MB !

But the best thing, in my opinion, is the custom ISO builder.
At http://custom.nimblex.net/ , you can select what applications you want to go into your live linux ISO even before downloading it.

Also available is a online application/modules library for extending your live cd/ installation at a later time.

Hope someone will find this useful.
mehulved
This is really a cool idea. But, I hope people don't misuse it and deprive us of such a service. It could be a boon for people looking for custom linux distro.
I just went through all the steps but decided not to create the distro finally as I really didn't need one.
Awesome stuff. Hope they get some more hardware/mirrors then quite a few users can pay a visit everyday.
swizzy
This is really a very good idea, and implementation... i wonder if the CD is live... however many more options could be introduced...

I'm downloading right now, i'll check this out and write a short review here Smile
[FuN]goku
i've seen something like this before, i tried it out and it was a bit amusing. But i think i'll just stick with debian net install Wink
mehulved
Did anyone actually try it? What package management system does it use? What distro is it based on?
swizzy
This is really cool.. i loved Nimblex Custom... its based on Slackware, and its package management utilizes some files which are called 'modules' and have .mo extension.

I customized the nimblex and downloaded, burned and booted from it.... The CD is Live, and it boots pretty fast... The first thing i checked was whether all my partitions were recognized... guess what, it could write to NTFS natively! Smile

I then checked out whether all my media files were supported... all of them were, and with better audio and video... (Linux seems to have some better codecs than windows, so the audio is crystal clear), and unlike suse where i had to install numerous codecs, and then ended up with my dvd video playing like cam rips, nimblex was very efficient at playing all my wide range of media files. NimbleX played all my MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV, MOV, FLV, AVI, DIVX, XVID... etc etc files Very Happy

The application range is useful and wide... all of the apps worked except imagemapeditor, which kept crashing... (the only problem i encountered on nimblex)

I'm still trying to figure out how to connect to my pppoe internet... (i'll tell you if its done Smile )

Pros:
------
NTFS write support (so you can simply pop this in to remove a virus of an windows NTFS partition Smile )
ALL media files playback
Good software collection
Fast, Slick, Easy and Beautiful
Inbuilt HTTP & FTP server

Cons:
-------
Couldn't figure out the alternative for pppoeconf
Still to figure out how to update NimbleX
No proper/standard Package Manager exists (if it does,... i'm not aware of it)

Overall this is the best distro i've seen till now.. i'll give it a rating of 4.5 on a scale of 5 Smile Smile
mehulved
Sounds like it's just slax but rather than us installing the modules, it is done on the server. And then mkisofs generates an ISO out of that to download.

swizzy wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how to connect to my pppoe internet... (i'll tell you if its done Smile )

Get pppoe module from slax and use. Give it a try, it maybe that niblex is just based on slax.

If I get it right, NimlbeX people have just extended the concept of slax, made an easy to understand web based selection process, generate an iso for downloading, ready to use. Perfect example of using other people's ideas and extending it further Smile . The power of Open Source.
swizzy
you are right.... it does look like slax, but what about the .mo modules.. any idea what that may be? (slax has some .lzm modules)

How do i get the pppoe module?
mehulved
swizzy wrote:
you are right.... it does look like slax, but what about the .mo modules.. any idea what that may be? (slax has some .lzm modules)

How do i get the pppoe module?

I just saw that mo module format has been obsoleted by Slax for the new lzm Sad
I guess the older module can be found in some archive site, if you're aware of one.
Old version was supposed to be found at slax.hosting4p.com/ but alas, it's not there Sad
Or maybe ask someone on slax IRC or mailing list, if there's one, to supply a copy.