FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why won't my PC hibernate?

infinisa
Hello Folks

I have a fairly new PC with loads of memory (2GB) running MS Windows XP SP2.

Until recently, it would hibernate just fine. But now when I try to put it into hibernation, it usually displays the message "Windows - System Error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.".

With 2GB of RAM and 17.4GB free space on drive C: what system resources could it possibly be short of?!?

Help on this one would be appreciated.
badai
you never use windows update?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095
badai
sorry, i didn't notice it's a new PC.
emem
This often occurs if windows doesn't have enough space. But in your case.... maybe something with HDD?
bloodrider
Did you installed any drivers recently Question
badai
i already put up link to ms kb in my post, if you guys don't notice.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

this is quite old issue, since the release of SP2.

symptom, cause and resolution are all there in the kb page.
bloodrider
infinisa wrote:
...new PC with loads of memory (2GB) running MS Windows XP SP2...Until recently, it would hibernate just fine

badai wrote:
sorry, i didn't notice it's a new PC...

Did you also unnoticed the "it would hibernate just fine" Rolling Eyes

badai wrote:
i already put up link to ms kb in my post, if you guys don't notice.

infinisa didn't say that the problem is solved...
And you may not know, but this "symptom" may also be caused by drivers problems Wink
cvkien
herm... probably that time you out of space... 17gb is not very big...
conandoyle
it could be cause "bad drivers installation" --> motherboard drivers oftenly
why don't you try to uninstall the drivers then reinstalling them once again.
Idea Idea Idea
infinisa
Hello badai

Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly the symptoms are exactly right, but I'm afraid to apply the patch for the following reasons:

1. The patch is an old patch which presumably has been installed on my new PC (which always has its patches up to date via Microsoft Update).
2. If for some reason it is not included in the "critical" patches, and needs to be installed manually, I'm afraid I may be replacing some key system files by older versions!

What do you think?

Thanks
infinisa
Hello emem

Quote:
This often occurs if windows doesn't have enough space. But in your case.... maybe something with HDD?

According to the MS patch description (see badai's posts), the problem is due to memory fragmentation. Obviously disk space is needed, but what are you suggesting? The HDD is faulty? This is possible theoretically, but unlikely, as the machine (and disks) are new.

Thanks
infinisa
Hello bloodrider

Quote:
Did you installed any drivers recently?

I have installed some software, but not hardware drivers if that's what you mean.

Thanks.
infinisa
Hello cvkien

Quote:
17gb is not very big

Sure, 17GB is not a huge disk partition by today's standards, but I think it's plenty of space for hibernation. After all, the system has already created a file (C:\hiberfil.sys, 2GB) with the space needed to hibernate.

Thanks anyway.
infinisa
Hi conandoyle

Quote:
it could be cause "bad drivers installation" --> motherboard drivers oftenly
why don't you try to uninstall the drivers then reinstalling them once again.
Idea Idea Idea

That's a risky one - without the motherboard drivers windows doesn't recognise the disk controller!

But if all else fails, maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks
cvkien
well, some types of hardware may not able to use the hibernate function and it might not run normally if you doing hibernate. especially your VGA card. and sometimes if your windows had infected by virus or spyware, and that could makes your system confuse, same with if you did install certain software that crash with your system. sometimes even only a bit of software installation will cause faulty in your system. so i think that is not your hardware problem since that was a new pc. then try to reinstall your windows and try to hibernate on the first run.

if this problem still happened, then it might be your hardware problem.
infinisa
Hi cvkien

What you say makes a lot of sense, but for the moment my money is on badai's solution (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095), since the symptoms exactly match what has been happening (i.e., the parts in bold below):

Quote:
SYMPTOMS
You use a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. When you try to put the computer in hibernation, the computer occasionally does not hibernate. When this problem occurs, you receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API.
When you experience this problem, the hibernate feature is not available on the computer until you restart the computer.

This problem typically occurs when the computer uses 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of RAM.

However, I am still waiting for reassurance before taking the plunge - as per my post of 7th March:

Quote:
Hello badai

Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly the symptoms are exactly right, but I'm afraid to apply the patch for the following reasons:

1. The patch is an old patch which presumably has been installed on my new PC (which always has its patches up to date via Microsoft Update).
2. If for some reason it is not included in the "critical" patches, and needs to be installed manually, I'm afraid I may be replacing some key system files by older versions!

What do you think?

Thanks

Thanks anyway.
infinisa
Hello badai

Now I'm really confused!

I decided to do bit of research into the questions I asked you on 7th March:

Quote:

I went to Windows Update, and printed the history of installed updates (to a pdf file). I searched this, and found no reference to 909095.

So I changed to Custom, and asked for a list of Optional updates (as the critical ones are always up-to-date). I got 8 updates for Windows XP, but still no reference to 909095.

So my quandry still remains!

Please help or suggest something.

Thanks.
infinisa
Hello badai

I've just done a bit more research, and this confirms my fears expressed on 7th March.

The files and their dates in the patch kb909095 are as follows:

Code:
File name     File version    File size   Date          Time    Platform    SP requirement   
Ntkrnlmp.exe  5.1.2600.2774   2,136,064   12-Oct-2005   00:18   x86         SP2
Ntkrnlpa.exe  5.1.2600.2774   2,057,344   11-Oct-2005   23:54   x86         SP2
Ntkrpamp.exe  5.1.2600.2774   2,015,232   11-Oct-2005   23:54   x86         SP2
Ntoskrnl.exe  5.1.2600.2774   2,180,096   12-Oct-2005   00:20   x86         SP2

and the corresponding files in my C:\Windows\System32 are:

Code:
File name     File version   File size  Date        Time
ntkrnlpa.exe  5.1.2600.3093  2.015.744  28-02-2007  08:38           
ntoskrnl.exe  5.1.2600.3093  2.136.064  28-02-2007  09:08           

which are, in fact, more recent than those in the patch (both in terms of date and version).

As it's only the "NT Kernel & System" we're talking about here, I want to tread carefully!