FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to : Use GFX Grub In Ubuntu !

Shashwat
Quote:
GNU Graphics Grub is the new Grub boot screen which adds to Visual appeal of Boot Screen .. Unlike older grub GFX Grub has now much better themes and customization options.. So lets take a quick look at How To Install GFX Boot..

To install GFX Grub we have to remove older grub so that it should cause any dependencies problem.. To remove Grub Open Terminal . .Main Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal Now type the following code in Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get remove grub
Download GFX Grub debian installer from here and install it by double clicking it Download : [URL="http://quasarfreak.googlepages.com/grub-gfxboot_0.97-5_i386.deb"]GFX Grub[/URL]

Before we get started take backup of you Menu.lst file so that you can use it in mishap ..
To take backup of Menu.lst file Navigate to /boot/grub and save it ..

Now Download some additional themes for[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?02wjst9fkdy"] GFX Grub Menu Click Here[/URL]

Now unzip the files and move it to /boot/grub .. Since it comes under root file system you need to gain root privileged to do that .. Type the following in Terminal

Code:
sudo su root
Enter password and then type this nautilus this will open a new Nautilus Window. .Navigate to /boot/grub through root nautilus window.. Copy all the message.xyz file to /boot/grub

Now since you have added theme .. Lets do final settings to make this GFX Grub work.. Open terminal and type this

Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Add this line at the top of the Menu.lst file

Code:
gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.xyz # the xyz should be replaced with the theme name that you are going to use
Since you have removed you older grub you need to restore GFX Grub so that you boot through OS without any problem.. Open Terminal and do these

Type
Code:
sudo grub
Then
Code:
find /boot/grub/stage1
You will get a output like (hd0,4) or something different depending upon you Hard Disk Partition Wink

Then type this
Code:
root (hdx,x)
To install grub type this
Code:
setup (hdx)
Where "x" represent the value of hdd sector in which you have installed grub Wink

The last thing you have to do is to install Grub MBR .

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
You will get an output like this
Code:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0dd6c6bd

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3187    25599546    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3188        8287    40965750    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
[B]/dev/sda3            8288        9607    10602900   83  Linux[/B]
/dev/sda4            9608        9729      979965   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5            3188        5737    20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6            5738        8287    20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
Look for the bold Entry and finally install MBR in Filesystem

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sdaX
Where X represent the number of you Hard Disk sector in which you have installed Grub...

Here is what My GFX looks like ...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Thats it reboot and see the magic Very Happy A new refreshing Grub Menu welcomes you Razz
Regards

gh0stface wrote:
Please use the quote tags if you are going to copy and past along with adding some content of your own about this program. Please re-read the rules and FAQs if you haven't already done so.
LostOverThere
This looks pretty cool. I'll try it later and post some feedback. Thanks!
andersonshatch
It looks kinda like the SUSE grub screen. (Which I last used well over a year ago so I don't know what it looks like now)

Is certainly better looking than the default, but I really can't be bothered to do all that Sad I don't mind that my boot screen is a little dull. At least Linux is fairly stable and you don't have to see it all that often Smile
Agent ME
Does it support screen resolutions such as 1440x900?
On my computer I had to enable the VESA framebuffer to get it to support that resolution for Ubuntu's startup splash screen and to use the correct terminal resolution - just wondering if this would cause complications for GRUB.