FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual Box

zellfaze
Has anyone here ever heard of Innotek Virtual box? Its a virtual pc program, kinda like VMWare of Booches. If there happens to be anyone out there that has some experience with it. I would like to know if it is possible to change what your Hardware appears as to the guest OS.

To those whom don't have an experience, I would suggest giving it a try. Should you want to it is avalible here.
hunnyhiteshseth
Its quite easy. First of all shut down your virtual machine. Yes, shut down and not save state.

Then in the main windows. Click the virtual machine, then settings and there change the hardware.
zellfaze
Thanks. I always shut it down anyways (figure why save state if I dont need to, just takes up space).
ammonkc
I looked at virtualbox a while back when it was still an early beta. how is it now? is it more stable? I know that its development isn't gonna be as far along as VMware's, but is it usable on a production system? I'm a diehard VMware user, but I always love to support opensource software.
SamiTheBerber
I have Xen on my server to produce virtual servers. It was pretty easy to install with Ubuntus Help pages. It is very nice to configure virtual servers with Xen-tools. It is worth of try Wink
zellfaze
ammonkc wrote:
I looked at virtualbox a while back when it was still an early beta. how is it now? is it more stable? I know that its development isn't gonna be as far along as VMware's, but is it usable on a production system? I'm a diehard VMware user, but I always love to support opensource software.

Its quite stable now, or at least I think it is. I have never had it crash on me, although I do not do anything really insane with it. I mostly use it as a test platform for things that I might try on my pc, and for a way to use Windows XP when I have to. A few things do not work right with it though, like the Debian installer, It runs into an unexpected error on the cleaning up stage.
csoftdev
i have been a user of vmware for many years. i like it a lot and i think it is a very nice program with solid virtualisation technology. but i am also currently trying out Xen which is also a very good software.