FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ebay's new feedback law...

Zombie
I recently found out about ebay's new law which prohibits sellers from leaving negative or even neutral feedback for buyers. Personally, I think this is a bad move for ebay. What do you think about these dramatic changes? Why do you favor or dislike them?
Insanity
I agree with eBay on their reasons for changing the feedback system. The old system was flawed and left room for abuse from sellers who would leave retaliatory feedback for buyers who left them negative feedback. So in order to warn the public about the dangers of a seller you have to risk having your own feedback lowered. This just leaves many buyers afraid to leave negative feedback and ruins the whole system.

As for the new system, I'm not sure exactly how it will work because they haven't released the details of it yet, but it looks decent so far.
ZenFountain
I'm a power seller on eBay and support this, it goes both ways and it's really got nasty over the past few years.
andy26
I think this is a bad move because there are plenty of buyers on ebay that will abuse this new feedback law and there are also plenty of buyers that have in the past bidded on an item but not paid for it e.t.c so this will give the seller no power on giving deserved negative to a bad seller that hasnt payed or something similar, on the other hand it could stop those that choose to scam buyers from giving the buyer uneeded negative feedback. i suppose this new law will be fine aslong as everyone in the ebay community stick to the rules but, in my years of ebay iv seen many bad ebayers.
coolclay
Yea, I like the new changes. They are definitely a step forward. I am very excited to see exactly how they plan on doing it though. I also especially like the changes in seller fees like permanent free gallery and other cheaper fees.
eday2010
I think the change is for the better potentially, but it also leaves the seller vulnerable to buyers who would think it's funny to leave negative feedback for no reason without fear of their feedback going down.
HDirtwater
I have already seen cases where a buyer neg'd a seller just because he thought he could. A seller I know got a neutral without being contacted, and when he posted his neutral for the buyer, the buyer sent an angry email saying that the rules had changed and the seller wasn't allowed to leave bad feedback, and this was the reason he left the neutral without contacting him - because he knew that the seller couldn't leave bad feedback. That buyer didn't realize that the dreadful new feedback system doesn't go into effect until May.

This is yet another terrible blow to sellers by a company that does everything it can to bring in new buyers, but at the expense of the small, unique sellers that got ebay to where it is today. Ebay has shown a huge bias toward the buyers in the past, and that is contiuing now.

As far as feedback goes, it is supposed to be an honest opinion of the transaction. Ebay has stripped the sellers of their honest opinion, and given scamming buyers carte blanche over the entire site. The new changes (not just the feedback changes) could not have been thought through by anyone with half a brain. There are too many bad scenarios that will (and have already) happen.
Futile
As I buyer I don't like it. The feedback system shows the item title, who bought it and what they paid for it. I just don't like the idea of someone seeing everything that I have purchased and what I paid for it. If you are a competitive buyer especially of collectibles this sucks. I agree with HDirtwater. EBay has really crippled the sellers. There are fair more buyer scams then there are seller scams on EBay. If a buyer skips out, fails to pay or has no funds available. How is a seller supposed to warn other sellers who may become a victim? Being an IT professional I understand the importance of a test environment, but I feel testing this feature just in the UK and Australia did not provide a wide enough demographic to incorporate this a feature globally, especially when it so heavy impacts a large group (the Sellers). I think we may need to chalk this one up to good initiative, bad judgment on EBay’s part. My 2 Cents
eggg
Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, to me. What's the point of having a feedback system if it can only be positive? That's not feedback at all. I think if everyone made certain to leave positive feedback when it was warranted, it should make it obvious that the stray, spiteful negative comments are inaccurate. But if you're going for a rating in the form of an average, I guess there would still be problems. Still, this doesn't seem like much of a solution.
Nameless
Congratulations eBay, you've removed the whole goddamn point of feedback. I am now even less inclined to purchase goods via you. Rolling Eyes
standready
I don't agree with this. Seller should be able to leave negative feedback if buyer does not pay. I also think seller should be required to leave feedback once payment has been made not this "I will leave positve feedback once positive feedback is given" game. I also don't think ebay should not allow negative feedback to be entered until (on either side) until a dispute is resolved. Communication required and tracked by ebay before negative feedback.
One thing I have done when I have sold a few items is use delivery confimation on shipment. That way I know they got the item. I still two, that have not left feedback on items they received 2 weeks ago. Have not heard from them either so everything is OK. I left their feedback promptly after receiving payment as I should have.
bigdan
I'm not sure. While banning out and out nasty and retailitory feedback is something I do agree with, if there is something that *has* to be said, such as buyer was slow in payment, then yes, some negative feedback should be left by the seller.
jsymac
I can see why something had to be done with regards the whole feedback system, but having what is just a one way system is'nt fair to any seller.

As both a buyer and seller I've had people who just don't bother leaving feedback.

I can't see it helping at all, if anything it will stop a lot of people selling on ebay as you run the risk of having people leave negative feedback just for the sake of it.

Also the hidden bidder system is a bad idea as you can just get your mates to bid up a item Confused
ForceRun
I always like ebay they got a good system, I don't know how the feedback system will change. but they are going to watch out for the simple seller and buyer.
Aless
I think it's a bit biased, but not the end of the world. The old system could make buyers hesitant before giving feedback to sellers, because they would be afraid of a backlash. This way, you can be honest in your review of sellers and not worry.
goutha
I really don't like this new feedback law.

It's enforcing buyers without any justification.

I think that the proportion of bad buyers and bad sellers is really small. Changing so radically the feedback rules is not fair for anyone.

They should develop a robot system that will analyse feedbacks and point out irrelevent and non justified negative ones. A human working at ebay can then decide if this feedback will be left of deleted.

The way eBay wants to change it, makes it the less expensive possible... no feedback, no trouble, less people to handle these problems, less money to invest... BAD MOOVE!
missdixy
I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I haven't been to or used Ebay in about a month though so...eh.
j_f_k
huh

I mostly buy but sometimes sell and I must have missed this. Was this an announcement that was made. There is a new buyer feedback system where you leave lots of detailed feedback about the seller introduced last year.

Are you saying as a seller if a buyer refuses to pay for an item then you can't leave negative feedback for that buyer. That's ridiculous if this is the case.
goutha
j_f_k wrote:
huh

Are you saying as a seller if a buyer refuses to pay for an item then you can't leave negative feedback for that buyer. That's ridiculous if this is the case.

That's exaclty the case of this new rule!!!
woundedhealer
I used to buy and sell on Ebay, now I only buy because it's not worth me selling. As I've just started a new topic on that subject, I won't go into that here.

As a buyer, I leave feedback when I receive the item As a seller I left feedback when the buyer had left theirs. If a buyer isn't going to leave me feedback, I'm not going to leave them any. When a buyer has left feedback you know everything is ok and the transaction is totally finished. As for not being able to leave a buyer neutral or negative feedback, that's crazy. How is a seller going to warn other sellers about a bad buyer? Buyers are encouraged to check sellers feedback before buying, it just isn't right. having said this I recently paid for an item I didn't want in order to avoid bad feedback. let me explain.

I was bidding for a memory stick, didn't get it so bid for another from another seller. I won that one, but when I went to pay for it I found the first one had been atributed to me. I contacted the seller immediately. He told me I could cancel the item, but would have to pay him £1.99 for him to re-list the item. I tried 3 times to get him to understand the situation and also suggested he did a second chance offer, but he insisted it would cost him if he did that. I've got a 100% feedback, and there's no way I'm going to jeoperdise that, so in the end I paid for it. It's coming from Hongkong so it hasn't arrived yet.
jsymac
The new feedback rules are a joke and could be the downfall of ebay, whats the point in selling things when you've got no protection from scammers etc.

You could sell a item send it out straight away etc, then the buyer can leave negative feedback just for the sake of it as you have no right to reply, I just can't see how it's fair to anyone Confused
cloudship
I don't know the real motivation for Ebay to carry out that rating rule, but I just guess it is not fair to judge your customers for giving you money and bring you more business. Thus, the rule is quite understandable to me. And, additionally, I don't know whether the same slogan rules in the internet marketing world, that is, the customer is always right, and customers are Gods. right?
gr8inferno
say what? Ebay must have good reasons for that ,first I would have to read the fine print, I will have to look in to it.
woundedhealer
Quote:
As I buyer I don't like it. The feedback system shows the item title, who bought it and what they paid for it. I just don't like the idea of someone seeing everything that I have purchased and what I paid for it.

When I check sellers feedback, I like to see which item the buyer is refering to. If I'm wanting to buy something and several other people have given less than complementary feedback about it, I would think twice about buying it from that seller.

There's something new added regarding feedback. If you have less than 100% feedback, you have to give paypal as a payment option. I recieved this message just last week.
BPrice
I have not been on ebay for a few months and have not heard anything official about these changes to their policies but from what I have read here it sounds absolute load of rubbish.

does anybody know where i can find more details of thees changes so I can read the facts about them?

once I have read the facts I'll be able to post a better comment on this topic.
Elefant
Well, really there is no reason for a seller to leave a buyer "bad feedback". Because, in the end the seller still gets the money, and E-Bay gives seller protection just in case as well.

So I think E-Bay did a good job taking away bad and neutral feedback.
furtasacra
Why have a feedback system at all if all feedback has to be positive? How are you supposed to warn others if you get ripped off, or have to waste hours of your life getting a dispute resolved? This just doesn't make any sense.

Thank goodness I haven't been on Ebay much lately, but I'm going to have to warn the Roman-artifact-buying lunatic in the household about this.
Agent ME
That kills the point of a feedback system if its limited like that.

They should make it so if you have bad feedback left on you, it shows next to the feedback any responses you've made to it, or feedback you've left on that person so that whoever looks at your feedback can make up their own mind to see if you deserved it.
BPrice
Quote:
Well, really there is no reason for a seller to leave a buyer "bad feedback". Because, in the end the seller still gets the money, and E-Bay gives seller protection just in case as well.

imagine this you are trying to sell your car for £10'000 the buyer bids wins the auction but then turns out that they are from a forien country and they are trying to con as many people as they can before they get caught and there current username gets banned. if you complete the sale you could loose your money and your car

Lets say they have bid an won 20 auctions for around £10'000 that is about £200'000 worth of items they could get away with if you and other sellers don't realize what they are doing and the only quick way to warn others is by the feedback system because if you report it to ebay normal going it is around 30-60 days for the issue to be resolved and action to be tacken. feedback is instant.

as for getting your money back from ebay it is a long process.

if they do stop negative / neutral feedback from seelers it will make it easer for this type of fraud to happen.

very bad idea ebay.
spinaroni
Hi
Personally thing the whole thing is a total joke what ebay doesn't understand without sellers putting items on ebay there would be no ebay taking the power to leave negative or neutral feedback is crazy any seller can be a smart ass and leave negative feedback and has a buyer i can't do anything about it's a damn joke and an insult to everyone if it's good for one it's good for all get rid of the feedback system once and for all what ever happened to equal rights when i questioned ebay about the new system this was their reply " understand that we had made these changes to improve the overall buyer
and seller experience." I wish they could explain how this will overall imrove the selling experince ??????????????
chocbizkit
I think this is a bad move because there are plenty of buyers on ebay that will abuse this new feedback law and there are also plenty of buyers that have in the past bidded on an item but not paid for it e.t.c so this will give the seller no power on giving deserved negative to a bad seller that hasnt payed or something similar, on the other hand it could stop those that choose to scam buyers from giving the buyer uneeded negative feedback. i suppose this new law will be fine aslong as everyone in the ebay community stick to the rules but, in my years of ebay iv seen many bad ebayers.
friuser
ebay should really only account registered members that are totally verified before even buying or selling. the feedback system is stupid in the first place cause you got bunch of bad apples that are always doing the same thing. You know the fraud going on is from unverified users so just do the hard work and you will have a good system because while there will always be bad apples, once you identified them by address, credit card, banking account, social... what's the chance of it occuring again? Much less I would think.
ankitdatashn
I think that it is wrong to intoduce this kind of system, I mean how can you think that people always want to flatter your products, if their is any defect then it should be mention so that people think twice before purchasing and also the company increases the product quality, but anyways I personally think just offensive feedbacks should be monitored and removed but not negative feedbacks.

A feedback itself means a positive or negative experiance
Ghost Rider103
I guess this new law can be used for good and bad.

I don't see the point in changing it though, now if somebody gets screwed over, then they can only complain, and not put bad feedback on a person, which then we basically can't warn other users of this user.

Oh well, just one of those things that are tough to fix. Just be wise in who you buy and sell to, and look at their history before purchasing or selling an item. You should be fine.
jsymac
I think it will stop a lot of people using ebay to sell items.

As now it's to easy to get scammed or ripped of by a dodgy buyer.

Ebays complaint system and protection for buyers and sellers doesn't appear to work very well anyway.
deanhills
I wish someone can come up with some good competition for EBay. I think EBay has become much tooooo big and with tooooo many rules because of no real competition on the Internet. I tried EBay a year ago and thoroughly burnt my fingers. First of all I found myself in a situation where I was forced to use PayPal. Then when I bid on a product and received it, found that I could not pay for the product as PayPal had limits on the first purchase (none of which I had been advised about by EBay or PayPal when I was registering). In this particular instance I had to show them my next bank statement, which was a monthly thing, and therefore no way would I have been able to get this to PayPal in time for the payment that I had to make to the seller.

It got worse, as my argument was that if I had registered with PayPal in order to pay for the product and could not, what was the point to be registered with PayPal. I tried to deregister with PayPal online and could not as it went into a loop. Then had to spend a large sum of money on phone calls to get deregistered with PayPal as of course it took much more than one phone call to do and in the end had to courier cash to the seller in order to receive my software.

I believe E Bay and PayPal are in cahoots and since there are virtually millions of people supporting them and no real competition they can make rules and regulations as they like. A dictatorship in effect.

Hence why I would like to see healthy competition on the Internet for EBay. At most there should be good alternatives to PayPal as PayPal has a lot of rules as well and can afford to have them as they do not have any real competition either. Their registration software is also not of the best. I have more than one credit card as I use different ones for the Internet with lower limits, and for the convenience of the bank these have to have either different spelling of my name or a different name and PayPal cannot accommodate that.

Regarding the original post about feedback, I think there is much more sense in offering people the opportunity to get in touch with people who have purchased or sold products. So that when you purchase a product you can get to ask your own questions.
bigt
Zombie wrote:
I recently found out about ebay's new law which prohibits sellers from leaving negative or even neutral feedback for buyers. Personally, I think this is a bad move for ebay. What do you think about these dramatic changes? Why do you favor or dislike them?

I think that's crazy. I'm goinng to have to research that more because it doesn't seem very fair for sellers.
ccube921
It makes tons of sense, no one can leave dumb bad feedback and no one gives good feedback unless its deserved so no one can badmouth each other for dumb things
bigt
ccube921 wrote:
It makes tons of sense, no one can leave dumb bad feedback and no one gives good feedback unless its deserved so no one can badmouth each other for dumb things

Been thinking about it after my post and it's not so crazy. You put it well. I think of it like employers, etc; if you can't say something good don't say anything at all.
hofodomo01
So it just ends up being you judge the reliability of the seller based on sheer number of comments now instead of actually looking at differing good/bad viewpoints...

I think if a seller/buyer is perceived as bad, you'd wanna know why they are considered bad...
elmariohusha
The feedback thing is good as it can help you decide which sellers are good or not and which buyers are good or not
KatanaSky
I'm actually in favor of the new feedback rule - i think it removes the fear of receiving a retalitory rating.

I think it encourages sellers to be aware of lower rated individuals. I love ebay hehe I've spent too much on there - but it's just so convenient! Smile
escammer
I think the new system makes perfect sense, at least for me anyway. What I do is I look for something cheap, usually under 20 bucks, then I make sure the seller, or "sucker" as I like to call them, has 100% positive feedback. I bid on the item, and then when they ship it to me I complain about how it was inaccurately described and leave the sucker negative feedback!!! Haha. There's nothing they can do back. I can tell it makes them so furious but thanks to ebay there's nothing they can do - absolutely nothing!!! Once I bid on a comic book and won, then I e-mailed the guy saying it was all ripped up or something, and he sent me THE SAME ISSUE AGAIN and I still left him negative feedback! I could tell the guy was totally mad. Usually I don't even know what I'm bidding on half the time, but I love leaving 1 negative feedback and screwing up somebody's track record, it's hilarious. Those suckers are probably just poor idiots that can't hold down a job and that's why they're selling stuff on ebay. Thanks ebay for letting me have a great time getting free stuff on your site. You rock!
Ghost900
While the changes are old now I am still going to give my opinion.

I think that as an eBay buyer mostly I like it as when I pay with PayPal right away and then the seller sends the item really slow or it doesn't work, I still don't want to leave neutral or negative as he will do the same to me. On the other side there is more to a transaction for the buyer than to pay as if he is a jerk then he should get bad feedback even if he does pay right away but I think for the most part that its a good move on eBay's part.

I sell a few items and I am not worried about it because they also made it where eBay will remove your negative if the buyer doesn't pay but leaves negative feedback for you, where as before you would just leave him feedback as well saying he didn't pay.

Overall its not a bad idea. Very Happy
goutha
This topic is still up to date.

After a year or so of using this new system, I think that it's not so bad. In the beginning I was not really OK with these new rules, but they worked fine for me.
deanhills
I do not like E-Bay at all, as they have very little room to manouvre in payment offering only PayPal. If I could pay with my credit card without having to report to PayPal or to have PayPal acting invasive with my credit card that would be a totally different matter. If E-Bay can't trust me, I don't want to do business with it. I definitely do not want anything to do with PayPal either. I tried PayPal, and the whole experience sucked badly. Like Ace Ventura used to say: "Do NOT go in there .... " Twisted Evil