FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook

kiran_n444
LAWL I jsut want to know how much people use Face BOOK?? its a nice site, I use this so much, Personally i think its better than myspace and the applications are amazing.
brokenadvice
Not too much anymore. When I first got one, I would check it constantly, since I found the RSS notifications, I only go there once or twice a week.
melissareich
I hate it... Facebook sucks, they should get rid of all of the applications, they are annoying.

Anyone agree?

Rolling Eyes
emem
melissareich wrote:
I hate it... Facebook sucks, they should get rid of all of the applications, they are annoying.

Anyone agree?

Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah! I can't believe they don't accept gmail and similar! I mean what do they expect, that we'll all use hotmail? gee....
sondosia
I use Facebook all the time to talk to my friends and stay in touch with people I don't see on a regular basis anymore. I do agree that most of the applications really suck, except ones like iLike and Scrabulous and that sort of thing. But I'm glad to see Facebook finally taking action against spammy and stupid apps; I just wish it were stricter.
cavey
I use it to see pictures and "news" that friends and family posts. A nice way to see how its going with people you live far away from. and also with old friends you wouldnt call, but still are interested to see how they are doing.

I blocked all those stupid applications with a genious greasemonkey script, so I don't see any of them anymore (except from the ones I like and manually enable): Facebook Beautifier - http://www.matthewleverton.com/fbb/
cavey
Today I opted out of Facebook API. To do that, I had to uninstall all 3rd party applications (I had 4). Now I chose "Do not share any information about me through the Facebook API" at the application privacy page. And I will never again get one of those irritating application invitations even if my friends choose "select all" on the invitation page (I'm simply not there!)! I feel like a mountain of glitterboxes has been lifted off my shoulders!
escritor
I don't use it because "nobody" from my country uses it. Google's social site orkut.com has a monopoly in Brazil, just like Microsoft's Live Messenger. People hardly know about alternative services to them. Brick wall
bigdan
I use it mainly for communicating with friends and old school and university colleagues.
dude_xyx
I think facebook is the best social networking site out there now. lot better than myspace.
ddoonie
Facebook had a huge search in popularity a year or two ago, seems to have died down now though.. possibly cause many have already signed up? I know they are translating for other country's versions. In Spain i know they were mainly into MySpace, but now they are branching into facebook.

The introduction of all those ridiculous applications turned me off. I dont understand the point of them. I'm sure some are entertaining, but come on, give me an option to ignore applications, from being invited to kill a vampire, or have a super wall...
escritor
ddoonie wrote:
being invited to kill a vampire

Shocked So would you like to be invited to that? You don't like the option to block it... :p

Seriously, I think they have such things because they target audience are young. If you want something more professional, there are niche online social networks focused on jobs, career etc.
cavey
ddoonie wrote:
but come on, give me an option to ignore applications, from being invited to kill a vampire, or have a super wall...

If you opt out of Facebook API, you will not receive invites anymore.

I quote what I wrote before that you regretfully missed:
cavey wrote:
Today I opted out of Facebook API. To do that, I had to uninstall all 3rd party applications (I had 4). Now I chose "Do not share any information about me through the Facebook API" at the application privacy page. And I will never again get one of those irritating application invitations even if my friends choose "select all" on the invitation page (I'm simply not there!)! I feel like a mountain of glitterboxes has been lifted off my shoulders!
kshnbd
i hate facebook. people are wasting their time by that. i saw many people are just spen their hours only useless chatting and meeting. the are going to golla (zero).
escritor
I've just discovered that FaceBook is being translated to my language too, and an acquataince of mine is currently among the people who have colaborated the most with the translation.
KatanaSky
LOVE facebook - it's great how it's more about interacting with people rather than how fancy your profile looks. I use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family on the regular basis without having to go out of your way to pick up the phone and wondering if you're going to catch them at a bad time.
dude_xyx
Facebook is becoming more popular than even Myspace ! many Myspace users moving to facebook.
escritor
According to this research, 64% of Facebook members are also MySpace members and 20% of MySpace members also belong to Facebook.
Magicman
escritor wrote:
According to this research, 64% of Facebook members are also MySpace members and 20% of MySpace members also belong to Facebook.

That makes sense because a lot of people got a MySpace before Facebook came out or before it became available to non-college students. I like Facebook much more than Myspace but I have both.
escritor
^Do you access both profiles often or use an aggregator?
Magicman
escritor wrote:
^Do you access both profiles often or use an aggregator?

I go to facebook almost everyday because most of my friends are on there. I only go to myspace maybe once a month if that. I'm not into social networking enough the use an aggregator.
escritor
^I see. Smile Some are so addicted to it that they must agreggate social aggregators. Laughing

Everyone, do you add only people who you really know or you add as much contacts as you can? Many orkut users don't know half of their "buddies".
deviator
Yea I use facebook. I like it because the design is clean. However in saying that, I do find the applications a tad annoying as they do distract others from the wall and other useful stuff on there. I keep my profile clean without applications clogging up the whole page; making it a boring place in the process but who gives a heck. I'm consistently on it, even though I don't have many friends unlike some of my friends do. It a fun social network, and believe me, people out in the world who have their MBA's or whatever need something like Facebook to get their names out; easier for others to find them and contact them. I read this in a newspaper article a while back.
ProfessorY91
Quote:

Anyone agree?

Definitely agree there.

I have a facebook account because people insisted that I could be more socially active. I used it for about three days. Found useful apps, put them up, and got tired of the cumbersome nature and restrictions, and decided that I wanted a website. Enter, Frihost. No stupid pop-applications, no stupid friend requests, no "she commented on that random guy's picture and you-happen-to-be-in-the-background-so-your-email-and-feed-get-spammed" and best of all, no hopelessly addicted people spamming the inbox.

Gee whiz. Want to tell people about yourself? Build a website.

Of course, in comparison with MySpace (spam/drag/sludge/crap central), it shines. But then again, that's simply killing a mosquito with a cannon.

Neways, I could rant forever.

Don't waste your time.

-Y
ftv_flung
ProfessorY91 wrote:

I have a facebook account because people insisted that I could be more socially active.

If anything it can make you more socially paranoid and sometimes careful about what info you share and who you share it with.
Diablosblizz
I don't usually go on Facebook, although I checked today to see that they have a new template to try. It's actually pretty nice, and a lot faster too. The errors are gone, and I am glad they fixed it.

The layout is nice.
cavey
Do you mean www.new.facebook.com? Or is it something else (template) I do not know about, Diablosblizz?
chungungo
My experience with facebook is very great, I have contact with my old friend and people that
I had forgotten, and the games....very funy!!!