FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rare Earth!

basementgamesltd
Hey All,

Rare Earth is one of my favorite bands and I'm glad I discovered them a couple years back.
It's a shame that Rare Earth is seldom mentioned with other 70s classic rock bands, because this band rocked with the best of them. After the commercial failure of 1972's WILLIE REMEMBERS, the first Rare Earth album to include all original material, Motown paired the blue-eyed soul rockers with staff producer Norman Whitfield (The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight and The Pips), who wrote or co-wrote all five songs presented here. The end result is blazing rock/funk/soul that sticks with you long after the cd ends.

The 17-minute title track flies by due to Gil Bridge's emotional singing and Ray Monnette's slashing guitar chords. Whitfield's lyrical tribute to Ma is both humorous and poignant. Other highlights on this stellar album includes the stompin' "Big John Is My Name", the super-funky "Dance and Hum Along" and the sensual album closer "Come With Me", featuring romantic guitar playing and female moaning that would put Donna Summer to shame. The band's version of the r&b chestnut "Smiling Faces Sometimes" is okay, but it pales in comparison with the Undisputed Truth smash.

Rare Earth was a blue-eyed soul band that naturally blended musical styles to make its own statements. This is definitely a "don't miss" album!

Keep it real......
Phil
Rare Earth!
That was about some funky white boys!
I remember my girlfriend had their "Greatest Hits" album. "Big John is my Name" was probably my favorite track. Really liked their version of "I'm Losing You" too. And you can't forget "I Just Want To Celebrate".
Gosh that was a long time ago! I don't think I've heard any tunes of their's in years.