FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about current job -please close-

Would you take this job?
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Depends... what's in the job description?
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

Kaze_Mitoki
I would like some advice on this one.

I am fresh out of college with an Associate's degree in computer programming. The job I took starts on March 1 and pays $12/hr. I am an auditor/quality control manager.

I'll be working second shift, 3:30pm - 2:00am, 6 days a week. that adds up to 26 hrs overtime at $18/hr.

I've got all the math done as to what my income would be, but that's not the issue. The issue is, i only work when school is in. meaning, highschool. during the summer months i have no job. Also, this was through a -temp- agency, so there's no garuntee i'll have a job when school starts back up -again- ...

Do you think i'll still have a job if I work hard enough? Would you take this job considering the hours? Please post your logic behind all of this, i'm looking for some good pro's and cons on the issue. I need to know if I should quit both of my -other- jobs and take this one, or stay at $7.25/hr getting 40 hours a week at one place and 8 hours a week at another place and look for a better opening. But, with an associate's degree...

I'm looking into getting an appartment of my own. If this job isn't stable enough I won't be able to make rent, and I am worried about that.

help?!
crdowner
What kind of lunch and/or breaks do you get? With that many hours, I would expect you to get at least 1 hour. If that is the case, you would be working 9.5 hours per day for a total of 57 hours. That reduces your overtime hours to 17 hours.

Twenty-six or even 17 hours of overtime is quite a bit especially on an ongoing basis. I think you need to ask yourself if you are up to working that much.

Temp jobs have always concerned me but to tell you the truth, full time jobs in no way guarantee employment.

Only you can decide if you can make enough extra money during the school year to pay your bills during the summer. Only you can decide if you are willing to take the risk.
Kaze_Mitoki
Thank you for your reply.

I am more than willing to work myself very hard to make my place in this world. I see all kinds of people doing better than I am currently doing, and it depresses me. My parents are filing for bankruptcy and I know that once i get a good enough job i'm going to have to support them, even before my father retires. That depresses me as well. We are well above the poverty line but I think that it's really sad... I have to pay for their mistakes. I can't even afford to buy my string cheese ($3.00) because my -whole- paycheck goes to them right now. I'd hate to think about what they'd do if I handed them the paychecks i'll get from this job... probably try to buy a new car or something. >_<;;

But, getting away from being off-topic.

Yeah, I'm willing to put up with it. Especially since, after orientation (On V-day! friggen V-day!) I was told that the person who performs the best gets a better job, better pay, and better hours.

I know for a fact that it's 26 hours of overtime per week. But... the only thing i'm worried about right now, is whether or not i'll be able to support myself during the summer months, since i'll have no job if i'm not chosen for the better position. Also, my parents... I know they'll be begging for money from me. How do I tell them no without them trying to guilt-trip me into handing over HALF of my paychecks?! They always do that. I am making a car payment for a car I have never even driven.

But yeah... thank you for the reply. It means a lot to me.