FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Who

babaoriley821
I'm not absolutly sure if anyone has started a forum on the The Who or not, So I'll just start one.

Umm anyone who hasn't heard The Who I would suggest you go listen to some of their late 60's era stuff and some early 70's. Absolutly fantastic. They played at Woodstock, all the bandmemebers have had successful Solo Careers (Excluding Keith Moon who died in 1979).

Their earlier stuff is the English Mod type stuff, kind of reminicent of early Beatles (I wanna Hold your Hand with all the background chorus singing and such). And the later stuff is more Blues oriented, classic rock type feel.

Anyone else fans?
jveezy
Love the Who.

Like the Beatles and Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, they're pioneers of Classic Rock. Some would even argue that they're pioneers of early techno [rimshot]. I absolutely love Baba O'Riley too.
Phil
The Who- Thinking Man's Rock
I was really into the Who as a teenager. Listened to the albumThe Kids are allright about 3 million times. (Albums what we had before CD's for all the young ones) The movie with the same name was pretty good too. For our first Christmas together, my wife got me the album Who's Last. A live album with Kenny Jones drumming, Kieth Moon had previously expired. It was excellent.
Kieth Moon was nothing less than a mental case. His antics where just bizzare. What else would you call parading around in Nazi SS uniforms in Jewish neighborhoods?
I remember back in the mid to late 80s, there were some people trampled to death at a Who concert. I think it was Cincinnatti. After which I remember seeing tee-shirts with "I'd walk over you to see The Who" on them.
I always thought that was bit insensative and uncalled for.
babaoriley821
Somehow it wouldn't suprise me if Pete porduced the shirts. As much as I love and respect the guy he is a bit of a jerk. I believe the quote after he found out about the tramplings was "This is F---ing rock n' roll man, we can't be worried about a few people getting killed." Which is pretty horrible.

Also if you listen to Behind Blue Eyes, it's basically Pete talking about what a horrible person he is

"My Dreams/They arn't as Empty/ As my Concience/ Seems to be"

*sigh* Oh well, the band is great at any rate.
Phil
Most rock stars seem to be grade-A jerks. I know that doesn't apply to all, but you're hard pressed to think of more than a few who are alright. As I get older, I am less and less impressed with the personal lives of these guys. A few years ago I was watching some late-night TV. There was a clip of The Who in concert playing "Young Man's Blues". I forget the location., but I was watching these stoned-out-of-their-minds geezers gyrating all over a little platform thinking....I used to really get into this.....what was my problem?
But your right about the talent. To me, Townsend is still one of the all-time greats, and Einwhistle was an absolutley amazing bass player. Moon, for all his quirks, is still one of the great drummers of all time.
Hey...... did you know that Jimmy Page, of Led Zepplin, originally chose Moon and Einwhistle to team up with before Robert Plant and John Bohom? Supposedly the name "Led Zepplin" came from Moon's comment that it would go over like a "Lead Zepplin" I also read that Page wanted Rod Stewert to be the lead singer.
babaoriley821
Yeah I heard the comment about the Lead Zepplin thing, They had to change the spelling of the name because people kept pronoucing it "leed" instead of "led". I always read different members of the band made that comment, its always Keith Moon or Pete but no one seems to know for sure.
Phil
I read a really good book years ago called "Hammer of the Gods". It was the story of Led Zepplin. How Jimmy Page was the only member of the Birds left and had to scrape up a band to fulfill contracts. Pretty sad how they were on the top of the world, then just crashed.
Flavia
I don't really know many of their songs... actually, I think the only song I know is "Who are you?", which is the theme song from the TV series C.S.I., and I really love it. So, I think they must be great.
I wish I had more songs of them to listen... Crying or Very sad
Phil
The Who really put out some music in the 60's and 70's, even some into the 80's. Their trademark song was My Generation, which contained the classic line "Hope I die before I get old". Lead guiterist Pete Townsend was also known for smashing his guiter on stage after performances.
They also put togther the rock opera Tommy, about a deaf-blind mute that played pinball (the acid obviously had a profound effect on Mr. Townsend), which had some sacrilegious overtones. I personally found it boring. Tommy had the classic song "Pinball Wizard".
In the 70's they had such hits as Baba O'Rielly, Going Moblie, My Wife (a funny song Brian Einwhistle wrote- he gets in trouble with the police, but it's not the police he's worried about- it's his wife). Behind Blue Eyes...... Oh, there's alot of them.
petgraveyard
The Who is an excellent band, with the best music of its day, except for the times that they were playing at the same time as Styx Very Happy
hahame
if u post some links of their song,it is perfect
Phil
Quote:

I really don't know any links, sure you could do a search though. They disbanded in the 80's and they had been performing since the early 60's. I'm sure a lot of the younger crowd isn't familiar with them.
To be honest, I really don't listen to them much anymore. That was over 20 years ago that I was into them. I'm into Christian rock and worship music now.
BioHaZaRD
The Who are without a doubt in my top 5.
I really enjoy the Who's Next and Live at Leed's albums. I would have to say my favorite song of theirs is Baba O'Reilly.
bao
I amn't Fans Of The Who! have The Who owner themself site? Who know it and pLz list,ok? Rolling Eyes
anson
please just post the website of them

Laughing can't wait!!
tidruG
hahame wrote:

I don't think it's agood idea to request links to MP3 since the TOS state clearly that you should not post links to MP3 download sites. However, if the site in question is legally playing MP3 streams, then there oughtn't be a problem.
Healckles
I know too little about this band
But i know that these guys, has history in the rock pages

The Who is Great !!!
babaoriley821
Quote:
I really enjoy the Who's Next and Live at Leed's albums

I enjoy Live at Leeds also.

Has anyone seen the Live at the Isle of Wight DVD? It's great. One of their best proformances caught on tape. Fans of The Who should def. check it out sometime.
jordanh77
Love the Who, Who's Next, is a great album, amazing. I even find there sixties stuff to have alot more energy than other music at the time, that was infact when they were smashing their instruments to pieces.
zender
Flavia wrote:
I don't really know many of their songs... actually, I think the only song I know is "Who are you?", which is the theme song from the TV series C.S.I., and I really love it. So, I think they must be great.
I wish I had more songs of them to listen... Crying or Very sad

isn't the theme song of CSI 'Won't Get Fooled Again' Question
SunburnedCactus
Each different CSI spinoff has a Who song as the title theme. The original CSI Crime Scene Investigation has Who Are You? as the theme, I forget what CSI Miami and CSI NY have...
zender
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Each different CSI spinoff has a Who song as the title theme. The original CSI Crime Scene Investigation has Who Are You? as the theme, I forget what CSI Miami and CSI NY have...

than maybe 'Won't get Fooled Again' is the theme for CSI Miami
chandelier1993
i love the who, they are my influence. my dad listens to them alot, as do my friends. i love the who(and have like 4 albums!)
darkdante
jveezy wrote:
Love the Who.

Like the Beatles and Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, they're pioneers of Classic Rock. Some would even argue that they're pioneers of early techno [rimshot]. I absolutely love Baba O'Riley too.

Yeah I heard the comment about the Lead Zepplin thing, They had to change the spelling of the name because people kept pronoucing it "leed" instead of "led". I always read different members of the band made that comment, its always Keith Moon or Pete but no one seems to know for sure.