FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Guitar

nonexist
Hello
I am wondering what the best guitar is. I am going for an Epiphone Les Paul. I found one that sounds good for 800USD.

Any suggestion on what else would be good. Electrical or Acoustic Suggestions welcome.
Magicman
I have an epiphone les paul studio which was about $300 and sounds great. Its not as flashy as the other guitars but instead focuses on sound. Your thread title of Best Guitar is a bit misleading because there are many guitars better than an epiphone les paul (including the gibson version of the same guitar) but they cost a lot more.

Maybe this should be moved to the music forum. Let the mods do it though so you don't have a duplicate thread.
airh3ad
Come to cebu we have the best guitar around the world made by jackfruit ...
rightclickscott
My personal favorite is the Gibson New Century Explorer. I've gotten to play an explorer before, they're f***ing wild.
hunnyhiteshseth
I think electrical ones are better than acoustical ones.
Helios
Moved the the music forum.
liljp617
=O If you're getting a Les Paul..get electric. You won't be disappointed. Epiphone Les Paul are very good guitars that can play nearly any style of music well. Perhaps you could let us know what music you plan on playing? Certain guitars fit certain styles. Also, I would go to a music store near you and try out some guitars (Fender, Dean, Les Paul, Ibanez, Schecter, etc.). No one can honestly tell you what guitar to get Very Happy It's all 100% preference. If you've never played before however, I wouldn't suggest blowing a ton of money on a guitar (would max about $600). You never know if you're going to stick with it. But get a decent guitar cause it's no fun to play on a piece of crap. You'll also probably need a decent amp and some effects pedals (distortion, WAH mainly).

I personally have an Ibanez RG which cost $350...that was my first guitar I bought. I have recently purchased a Dean Dean From Hell (Dimebag guitar), which I love Smile But I wouldn't suggest spending $1000 on a guitar before you know if you're REALLY into it.

Here are mine...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/The-Dean-From-Hell-CFH-Electric-Guitar?sku=512157
Gustavus
liljp617 wrote:
But get a decent guitar cause it's no fun to play on a piece of crap. You'll also probably need a decent amp and some effects pedals (distortion, WAH mainly).

I disagree with this statement... Sure it's a ton of fun playing with a high quality top of the line guitar, and through a monster amp to get that rich sound you're looking for, and some effect pedals to tune your sound even further....

But some of us don't have that kind of money. Smile My first guitar cost me $200 for a cheap Epiphone SG Special (around $120) which came in a package with a small 10W Epiphone amp, a short cable, and a cheap strap...

I had a blast, I kept having a blast with that guitar and amp until around 6 or 8 months after buying it... Then I bought a $550 amp and played a $120 guitar through it. Smile Recently I bought a $330 guitar....

Basically what I'm saying it's not the equipment that matters.... It's the experience!

I've only been playing around a year, I don't have tons of money to spend on this hobby, but have gear totaling around $1,000 when you add in my little this'n'thats

Buy cheap, upgrade, then upgrade again. Smile
liljp617
Gustavus wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
But get a decent guitar cause it's no fun to play on a piece of crap. You'll also probably need a decent amp and some effects pedals (distortion, WAH mainly).

I disagree with this statement... Sure it's a ton of fun playing with a high quality top of the line guitar, and through a monster amp to get that rich sound you're looking for, and some effect pedals to tune your sound even further....

But some of us don't have that kind of money. Smile My first guitar cost me $200 for a cheap Epiphone SG Special (around $120) which came in a package with a small 10W Epiphone amp, a short cable, and a cheap strap...

I had a blast, I kept having a blast with that guitar and amp until around 6 or 8 months after buying it... Then I bought a $550 amp and played a $120 guitar through it. Smile Recently I bought a $330 guitar....

Basically what I'm saying it's not the equipment that matters.... It's the experience!

I've only been playing around a year, I don't have tons of money to spend on this hobby, but have gear totaling around $1,000 when you add in my little this'n'thats

Well, it's all opinion. Personally, spending time trying to learn guitar on a $150 guitar just isn't that fun (and it is often harder to learn something on a cheap guitar than it is on a halfway decent guitar). Obviously, there's no reason to spend $800 (although that's hardly a top of the line guitar) on a brand new guitar if you don't know if you really want to play. However, spending $500 or so on a good guitar will be more fun, easier to play, more motivating due to actually sounding decent, more motivating due to knowing you spent $500 on it, etc.

On a side note: Equipment matters a lot Smile Obviously someone like Steve Vai or SRV could make any POS sound amazing, but to the average player, a good guitar with good pickups, a good quality amp and some decent effects makes a hell of a difference. You don't need to spend $5000 to get that, but there's no reason not to spend $800 or so on something that will make a great deal of difference (be it guitar or tube amp etc.).

I also told him not to spend a ton of money Razz I told him there's no reason to if you don't know if you really want to play. But $400-500 isn't that much to me (at age 17)...especially when it will make a lot of difference in terms of tone, sound, flexibility in terms of music style, and motivation.
Gustavus
Ouch, $400-500 is a ton to me at age 17. Razz That $550 amp I bought so I could play shows was the biggest purchase I made besides my car.

Different strokes eh?

It is opinion I'm sure though, some may not enjoy training on a POS like I did. Razz
Bengt
It depends on what you want to play (and how you want it to sound like of course) and how you play, so what kind of player you are in my opinion Smile
Andrew426
I have to say to anyone buying their first guitar that the price of the instrument has absolutely nothing to do with how it plays. It has a lot to do with the quality of the instrument itsself, but not how it plays. In the past year, I have had 4 electric guitars. One was an ibanez RG premium. reverse headstock, hot pickups, all kinds of limited edition - probably worth $900+. The second was a flying V that had been quite literally hacked together from spare parts in the back of a music shop i frequent - it cost me $185. The next was a J&D brothers les paul copy with coil spit and a genuine bigsby vibrato fitted to it. probably worth about $500. The other was a japanese fender stratocaster - $200.

My favourite guitar of all of those was the flying v. The guy who built it was an absolute nutcase - the neck used to bend and go out of tune, the pots are earthed with a bit of old guitar string soldered across the back and the switchplate is a piece of scrap aluminium cut to size. But this guitar was amazing to play and had amazing tone.

The fender and the ibanez were both pieces of junk - I traded them off within a few weeks of getting each one.
spinout
Semi-ackustic - the best of both worlds????!!!!

But watch out when buying - semi acustic really can be made in different ways. Some (cheaper ones) tend to act like an electric. I like the old school when the acustic sound also is heard though the amp! That is a contruction issue, try a bunch at the store - the best acustic sounding amplified often are much more expensive.
The Mitchell
les paul, sg if gibsons, telecaster or a gretsch duo jet are my faves and what i would immediately go for. thats just preference tho
Mokkis
Gibson Les Paul Slash signature or a Epiphone les paul standard vintage sunburst Very Happy
bomba
fender strat is good.
corts nice but not better than gibson.
ibanz its rock to much.
i bought fender strat and im very happy.
Sickness
For 800 USD you can find a Gibson SG (even a Standard) in second hand. I think this would be the best choice for your budget.
Ankhanu
You do, to an extent, get what you pay for with mass produced electric guitars. The reason why Epiphones, Squires and the like are cheap is because they're made with cheap parts and have poor quality control. Of course, on that same token, because the quality control is low, it's possible to find really nice intruments for a really cheap price if a good one snuck its way through the factory. That said, some of the more expensive Epiphones are REALLY nice guitars for the money, but many of the cheaper ones (ie Les Paul Special II) are dreadful things to both play and hear.

Don't base your choice upon name/model and appearance alone. Test guitars in the shops, plugged in and unplugged. As a general rule, even with electric instruments, if it sounds good and plays well unplugged, it'll be a good guitar when you plug it in... and if the pickups aren't that good, it's easier to upgrade pickups than change the body and neck so that it performs well.
When testing a guitar through amps, test it in an amp that is similar to your own. The quality of an amp will really change how guitars perform on either end of the quality spectrum. A fabulous guitar through a crappy amp will still sound crappy, while a crappy guitar through a good amp just might sound ok.

With $800USD, you should be able to get a rather nice mid-range guitar. My own guitar was less than that and is, in my opinion, a fabulous instrument (Fender Aerodyne Telecaster). Remember, it's all about feel and sound, not the name.
The Mitchell
[quote="Ankhanu"] but many of the cheaper ones (ie Les Paul Special II) are dreadful things to both play and hear.
Agreed in fact i would go as far as to say possibly one of the worst guitars ive played. Theyre horrible. ive used nicer squier strats than this and some of those were very bad (granted some were good but most were bad)
the-guide
ํHave you already bought it, nonexist? If not may be you like this, Gibson SG Special Electric Guitar, Worn Yellow

It has a body made from multi-piece mahogany with a one-piece SG-style neck. Features a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, 2 humbuckers with 2 volume and 2 tone controls, 3-way pickup selector, and a stopbar with tune-o-matic bridge. Killer worn yellow finish makes it look like you've been rockin' with this axe for decades! Includes Gibson deluxe gig bag.

List price of this model is $1,592.00 but you can buy at $799.99 (On sale from $999.99) so you will save $200.00 (20%)

Wink

P.S. Please don't blame me that I took this opportunity to offer you, I only hope that may be this is another interested choice for your consideration.

Sincerely,
ddukki
Gustavus wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Well, that's kind of expensive in itself. Just find a guitar you know you'll want to play for a long time and then save up for it. It'll save you lots in the long run, and also, you'll have an antique guitar in about 30 to 40 years.
liljp617
Thinking about it, I would go for the $800 Les Paul you were looking at. You really can't beat those guitars in terms of being able to play pretty much every genre well. They play great, sound great, feel great, and they're definitely worth a lot more than they charge for.
PennyLane
I prefer an electric guitar. I've got a Gibson and I just love the sound and the feeling it gives me... But then agaiçn, an electric guitar is heavier in weight than an acoustic guitar...
nirP
Epiphone les paul is a great guitar, but there are better than this one, but it all depends on the price you are willing to pay... Very Happy
mmmtastymeal
nonexist wrote:
Hello
I am wondering what the best guitar is. I am going for an Epiphone Les Paul. I found one that sounds good for 800USD.

Any suggestion on what else would be good. Electrical or Acoustic Suggestions welcome.

In my honest opinion, an epiphone/gibson les paul is the guitar that everyone who does't really know much about guitars gets. My friend has an epiphone explorer, and he is very happy with it. i have a danelectro guitar wich came very cheaply and has a very nice mellow sound. I think guitars are all about personal taste.
speeDemon
Guitars................
I am a big fan of bands Like LP and Nirvana. I have got a Givson(or Gibson, don't know the spelling Smile ) blue diamond. It has got 3 pickups and its just GR8!! The only problem is that I forget Where I keep My picks, or plectrums!! Surprised

I also have a distortion. I took it in April... Its a Zoom G2.1u Its my first one, so im not sure that if it is better than the other models, but the sound... WOOW.

I also have a acoustic guitar of a company named grananda. I took it about 3 yrs ago. Its in bad shape though!! Laughing

I've learnt a total of about 50 songs and leads. Thts all frm me..

Cheers..
Ankhanu
mmmtastymeal wrote:
i have a danelectro guitar wich came very cheaply and has a very nice mellow sound.

A mellow Dano? What model is it? Most Danos I've encountered are quite punchy or snappy in tone; the lipstick pickups they tend to use are great for treble response, but not usually so hot for mid-range expression.
mmmtastymeal
Ankhanu wrote:
Most Danos I've encountered are quite punchy or snappy in tone; the lipstick pickups they tend to use are great for treble response, but not usually so hot for mid-range expression.

hmm, i would definatley say it has a very round mellow sound. as for the model, i can't quite remember. its a recent re-issue i think.
ayour

Ankhanu
ayour wrote:

This I definitely disagree with. With this method, you end up spending WAY more money in the end. Buy cheap, make sure it's something that you really want, then upgrade to something that you're not going to want to replace (often, but not always expensive). The more you buy, obviously the more you spend. And when you don't have much money to spend on the hobby, a little patience goes a long way towards being truly satisified.

I've been playing guitar for about 13 years now. I just got the amp I wanted about 3 years ago (cost me about $700), and a guitar I won't replace last December (about $600). Before that, I bought an intermediate beginner guitar ($500) that I still play, and ran through my bass amp for about a decade. Given that I paid $200 for the bass amp, and use it, obviously, for bass as well, this has been a fairly economical method.

Given that for my guitar set up, including 2 guitars, my gear cost me about $1800 over 13 years and you've spent $1000 in one year... there might be an issue with the buy replace, replace replace method if you don't have a tonne of cash. I've spent even less on my bass rig (my primary instrument), including 3 basses and two amps.

Buying second hand can go a long way too Wink
xboxrocks
I would say gibson sg cause they sound a lot better to me.
bissoboa
I used to play a fantastic charvel-jackson. I sold her time ago to get money for buying an acoustic, but now I miss her a bit!
Insanity
I'm also about to buy my first electric (I own a cheap Yamaha acoustic), and I really like the Fender Standard Strats, but I'm confused at the options. When I look on musician's friend, they sell both an American one and apparently a Mexican one. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Also, what is different about a Fat Strat?
Ankhanu
Insanity wrote:
I'm also about to buy my first electric (I own a cheap Yamaha acoustic), and I really like the Fender Standard Strats, but I'm confused at the options. When I look on musician's friend, they sell both an American one and apparently a Mexican one. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Also, what is different about a Fat Strat?

The Fender company has three manufacturing plants, one in the US, one in Japan and one in Mexico. They all use the same basic schematics in building the guitars, but use parts and woods of differing qualities and have differing levels of quality control. In theory, Fender USA uses the highest quality woods and electronics, while Fender Mexico uses lower quality parts with lower quality control, and Fender Japan is in between. The prices for instruments follow the same pattern; USA>Japan>Mexico.

By my experience, Fender Japan, while supposedly using mid-quality parts, has the highest level of quality control, meaning that each instrument in a particular model will feel/play almost identical, with very little variation between them. Fender Mexico has rather lax quality control, each instrument made of a particular model is somewhat different in terms of feel/playability, with some being garbage and some being exceptionally good deals for the price. Fender USA is supposed to be "the best" but I've found that there is a fair degree of variation between instruments, and I've played $1500 instruments that felt like $300 instruments. All in all, I find Fender Japan gives you the best, most consistent bang for your buck. Both of my Fenders are Japanese made.

Fender also licenses out its designs to Squire, based in Indonesia. They make the same designs as Fender with even lower quality parts and more lax quality control than Fender Mexico. That said, you can find some really nice Squires that make it through the plant for really cheap prices, giving you great value... but they are hard to find. Now, with THAT said too, the current line of Squire "Vintage Modified" instruments with Seymour Duncan pickups seem like a fantastic value and every one I've picked up has felt and played really well, particularly for a $300ish instrument.

A Fat Strat has a humbucker pickup in the bridge position, rather than a single-coil.
Insanity
Thanks for the informative reply.

I was leaning towards buying a strat made in Mexico, but your post is making me reconsider. The one factor I'm prioritizing is sort of the price; I don't want to splurge >$1000 on a guitar made in USA for one in Mexico, but I also don't want a cheap Squire either...

Where could I find the ones made in Japan, and how would I know?
Ankhanu
Don't stop thinking about getting a Mexican, just play the instruments first. If it feels and sounds good and is a good price, chances are you'll be happy... just don't buy one because it says "Fender". I've played some very nice Mexican Fenders and some pieces of junk too; and the good ones are very good value for the money.

You can find Japanese Fenders in any music shop that sells Fender instruments. Just take a look at the headstock (front or back) or at the base of the neck where it enters the body socket, you'll see "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan" (or Mexico, or USA, depending). Generally stores will have a mix of them, often most are Mexican.

Made in USA
Crafted in Japan
Made in Japan
Made in Mexico
schooldays
I'm more of a Fender fan than a Gibson fan, because more of my favourite guitarists have mainly used Fender guitars... George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Robbie Robertson, Jimi Hendrix. And I prefer the tone. I only play acoustic at the moment, but I'm planning on getting a Stratocaster when I feel advanced enough.

A question... if a Strat is too expensive, what would be the quality of a rebranded copy like a Squier?
Ankhanu
Basic advice: test them.
Find an amp in the store that's similar to yours (or the one you'll buy), or even bring your own amp in, and test the guitars in your price range. I've seen many touring bands playing Squires and knock off instruments and sound fantastic, and I've seen others playing the same names sound terrible. The lower end brands have, generally, terrible quality control; they make some utter trash and some absolute gems all from the same assembly line. You never know what they're going to be like (within a certain range) until you pick it up.

There's nothing wrong with not playing the top name brands; but it does take a little bit of in-store research to find out what you like and what's good. Sites like harmony-central.com are great for some user reviews of various instruments too.
Andrew426
Ankhanu wrote:
Insanity wrote:

The Fender company has three manufacturing plants, one in the US, one in Japan and one in Mexico. They all use the same basic schematics in building the guitars, but use parts and woods of differing qualities and have differing levels of quality control. In theory, Fender USA uses the highest quality woods and electronics, while Fender Mexico uses lower quality parts with lower quality control, and Fender Japan is in between. The prices for instruments follow the same pattern; USA>Japan>Mexico.

By my experience, Fender Japan, while supposedly using mid-quality parts, has the highest level of quality control, meaning that each instrument in a particular model will feel/play almost identical, with very little variation between them. Fender Mexico has rather lax quality control, each instrument made of a particular model is somewhat different in terms of feel/playability, with some being garbage and some being exceptionally good deals for the price. Fender USA is supposed to be "the best" but I've found that there is a fair degree of variation between instruments, and I've played $1500 instruments that felt like $300 instruments. All in all, I find Fender Japan gives you the best, most consistent bang for your buck. Both of my Fenders are Japanese made.

Fender also licenses out its designs to Squire, based in Indonesia. They make the same designs as Fender with even lower quality parts and more lax quality control than Fender Mexico. That said, you can find some really nice Squires that make it through the plant for really cheap prices, giving you great value... but they are hard to find. Now, with THAT said too, the current line of Squire "Vintage Modified" instruments with Seymour Duncan pickups seem like a fantastic value and every one I've picked up has felt and played really well, particularly for a $300ish instrument.

A Fat Strat has a humbucker pickup in the bridge position, rather than a single-coil.

I have found entirely different to this. The Japanese fenders I have owned and played have all been absolute crap to play, and generally have a very cheap photocellulose (i thonk thats what its called) finish that tends to split and peel. If you go into a store and pick up a japanese fender, the first thing you will notice is that it has an extremely thick neck. Now this is because all the wood for the japanese fenders has to be imported as it cant be sourced locally. To make up for the cost of importing all this wood they generally skimp on processing and preparation of the wood and hence have to make the neck thicker so it is stronger. Someone trying to sell you a japanese fender in a shop will obviously not tell you this. Also, I find the Jap fender pickups have too few windings, and really lack in the lower mids.

Mexican fenders, however, are made from american parts. The same American parts as the American fenders. The fit and finish may not be as high quality on these as on the american ones - but they do a pretty good job of it.

As has been said above, though. Every guitar is different. You may find a jap fender you love. You may even find some crap non-branded strat copy that plays and sounds better than any american standard strat you have ever heard. So its generally best to ignore other peoples opinions on what guitar to buy and just pick the one thats best for you.