FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone Like Kurt Vonnegut?

nonexist
What is your favorite book by Kurt Vonnegut.
Personally my favorite is slaughter-house five.
rightclickscott
Finally, someone around here besides me makes a thread about the Late Great Kurt Vonnegut Jr. For me, it's a tough call between Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions.
Coclus
Never heard of that guy? Horror books?
TurtleShell
I've only read Slaughterhouse Five. It's strange. I read about this book now and think, this should be something I'd really enjoy. But I barely remember what I felt about the book when I did read it, and I remember almost nothing about the book itself. I'm looking at the Wikipedia entry thinking, seriously, that's what it's about??? Obviously it didn't make a great impression on me.

When I was in college, Vonnegut was revered by some of my professors, and of course he was discussed at length in several of my classes. I even had a prof. who claimed that Vonnegut's wife injured herself at one of his parties and wanted to sue, or had sued, or something...
AnalogPlayers
Vonnegut is high up there on my list of authors. I have read...

Slaughter-house Five
Breakfast of Champions
Cat's Cradle
Welcome to the Monkey House
Sirens of Titan
Deadeye Dick
Galapagos
Timequake
God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian
And A Man Without a Country

I love all of his work, but after a while, the novels fail to differentiate themselves from one another.

Breakfast of Champions is by far my favorite, though.
TurtleShell
What is breakfast of champions about?
rightclickscott
It's about the eventual coming together of a burnt out science fiction writer named Kilgore Trout, and a secretly psychotic car salesman named Dwayne Hoover, and how this causes Hoover to completely freak out and go on a rampage, mauling tons of people.
TurtleShell
that sounds like it's totally up my alley.
sondosia
I love Kurt Vonnegut, but I actually don't like Breakfast of Champions. My favorite novel is definitely Cat's Cradle...so fascinating.
Crazy_Canuck
Well, hello Vonnegut fans. I love Vonnegut, got into him in high school. Even more than the content, plot or ideas in the book, I love the tone.

There is an are of bemused cynicism that I totally enjoy.

I too like some of the lesser known works, including Jailbird. If you haven't read that one, I really recommend it.

Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan and Slaughterhouse-Five are all terrific.

In fact I need to go reread this stuff. Although, as Turtleshell well knows, I find there is so little time to actually read anymore.

Vonnegut himself graded his own novels in Palm Sunday (this courtesy of Wikipedia, as I didn't remember it--although I've read the book):
* Player Piano: B
* The Sirens of Titan: A
* Mother Night: A
* Cat's Cradle: A-plus
* God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater: A
* Slaughterhouse-Five: A-plus
* Welcome to the Monkey House: B-minus
* Happy Birthday, Wanda June: D
* Breakfast of Champions: C
* Slapstick: D
* Jailbird: A
* Palm Sunday: C
MaxStirner
I was lucky enough to be in my teens when Vonnegut was writing and the first novel I read was "Slaughterhouse-Five" sometime around 1970. That of course did it and I was hooked, waiting for the next book while reading those I had missed by this author.

Personally, "Slaughterhouse-Five" is at the top of my Vonnegut list, with "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" and "Jailbird" coming in second and third (in some order).
-Neil-
I read Slaughterhouse-Five for a class at school and thought it was humorous and extremely accurate. I am planning on reading at least one more Vonnegut novel for reading class, and I'll probably read a few more during the summer. Vonnegut is the man.
Crazy_Canuck
which ones are you thinking of reading next, Neil?
rightclickscott
I feel bad. I was halfway through God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater when I lost the book. Now I owe the public library 14 dollars.
sondosia
That's interesting, how he graded his books. I didn't think Breakfast of Champions was that good and apparently he didn't either. On the other hand, Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five were my favorites and his, too.
Crazy_Canuck
I know that Slaughterhouse Five was made into a movie, but not I think a very good one.

Have any other Vonnegut books been turned into films, does anyone know? It seems that his novels are not really able to be turned into films...I wonder why that is.
rightclickscott
Breakfast of Champions, which, too, sucked as a movie.

Speaking of which, I just made my buddy, Rob, buy Breakfast of Champions. If he doesn't love it, I'm gonna be pissed at him.
Crazy_Canuck
rightclickscott wrote:
Breakfast of Champions, which, too, sucked as a movie.

Speaking of which, I just made my buddy, Rob, buy Breakfast of Champions. If he doesn't love it, I'm gonna be pissed at him.

If he does, maybe you can get him to pay the library the $14 you owe them too? Very Happy
Blaster
I have found him as an enjoyable author. I have read Cat's Cradle and God bless you dr. kavorkian Both were good books. He is a really humours author. That is why i like this books. His books arn't really to be taken seriously.
rightclickscott
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
If he does, maybe you can get him to pay the library the $14 you owe them too? Very Happy

I owe him much more than that.