FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A 10 miles walk from my house

wellerchap
I've just started doing this walk, mainly as part of my get-fit-campaign....10 miles from home, to Newmillerdam on the outskirts of Wakefield (Northern England) & back...all done in a figure-of-8 so as not to repeat the same paths....after about a mile through my village I turn off into woodland, farmland, a disused railway line-come trail & into the Newmillerdam country park.

'scuse the pretentious nature of some of the snaps...I don't know when to stop sometimes! Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
Wow, that looks like a nice place! I live in the desert so when I go on scenic walks I just see a bunch of brown plants and cactus.
wellerchap
blimey....living in the desert must throw up it's own set of problems!
Living in the UK we can (and do) have snow, rain, wind & sun...sometimes all in the same day. We complain continuously that the weather is terrible, but thinking about it, we're better off with our weather than most othe places.
Afaceinthematrix
wellerchap wrote:
blimey....living in the desert must throw up it's own set of problems!
Living in the UK we can (and do) have snow, rain, wind & sun...sometimes all in the same day. We complain continuously that the weather is terrible, but thinking about it, we're better off with our weather than most othe places.

Yeah... I'm moving away soon. The desert life isn't for me. I love going backpacking (I think it's called trekking or bushwalking in the U.K.) so I frequently visit forests. I love forests, jungles, and other terrains. I also love the rain... but I don't see that very often where I love; I have to go to other places. The good thing, though, is that I live in a place to where I can be in the forests in a couple hours of driving...
wellerchap
where do you live then?
Sounds interesting.
In the UK backpacking is called trekking, or hiking.
Afaceinthematrix
wellerchap wrote:
where do you live then?
Sounds interesting.
In the UK backpacking is called trekking, or hiking.

Uhhh... I live near the Mojave Desert which is in the Southern part of the United States.... I basically live on the outskirts where the desert and non-desert meet. It's sort of nice in a way, because I can go camping in either area since I live close to both, but I'd prefer to live away from the hot and dry climate. I'll post some pictures of the Mojave desert off the internet...

PennyLane
You all live in a wonderful area!! It so natural and pure. I live in the big city, so basically there isn't much green around here. Maybe this summer I will go hiking in the UK. Or at least travel around (how do you call travelling around by car in English?)
Coclus
Yeah this is awesome if you are an outdoor person!
wellerchap
super pictures in the desert there...looks like rattle snake & scorpion country to me !! Shocked

PennyLane wrote:
You all live in a wonderful area!! It so natural and pure. I live in the big city, so basically there isn't much green around here. Maybe this summer I will go hiking in the UK. Or at least travel around (how do you call travelling around by car in English?)

cities are nice to visit, but I like to get home afterwards.....travelling round in a car in the UK is touring, I suppose....enjoy it, and if I can help recommend some good places to visit, just ask.
nivinjoy
A 10 miles walk..???? Anyways i want to say that the first picture is awesome mann...I liked the picture and the place very much...It has got a special feeling mann...

Great work..Keep it up..!! I expect to have more and lot from you...!!! Do post more if you have got more pictures of these awesome places Laughing Cool Laughing
ocalhoun
^It looks nice there...
I hope I can manage to get posted in the UK at some point. Italy is still on the top of my list, though.
wellerchap
Yes, it's a good place to live....a small village, but near enough to towns & cities to enjoy both peace & quiet AND the shopping/sporting facilities & suchlike that built up areas bring.

To the other side of the village we have this...

...but at the opposite end, this....

Guelila
nice pictures Smile

how long does it take you to take your 10 mile walk?
wellerchap
Guelila wrote:
nice pictures Smile

how long does it take you to take your 10 mile walk?

We did it again yesterday evening, it took us 2 hours, 40 minutes, which is the quickest we've done it so far. It's purely for excercise now, so the quicker the time, the better/fitter we're getting. It all stands us in good stead for when we do the big one in a month or so (24 miles, taking in 3 smallish mountains!)
zjosie729
10 miles! that's a lot of walking..
wellerchap
zjosie729 wrote:
10 miles! that's a lot of walking..

I used to think it was, yes....but now it's only a matter of setting aside 3 hours, after work.
The alternative is staying in, watching rubbish on the TV & presumably eating rubbish out of the fridge.
I get a great sense of satisfaction knowing I'm doing something that's actually good for me & enjoyable, too....and now expanding the target distance substantially.
valentin_n
it's god for legs
wellerchap
Since the warmer weather's arrived, I've become less and less inclined to walk....I become more sluggish the warmer things get.
Also, I've noticed my appetite has increased, probably due to the increased burning of calories I've begun....so I've actually PUT ON weight Shocked
Maybe it's better to stay in & do nothing after all Crying or Very sad
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
Since the warmer weather's arrived, I've become less and less inclined to walk....I become more sluggish the warmer things get.
Also, I've noticed my appetite has increased, probably due to the increased burning of calories I've begun....so I've actually PUT ON weight Shocked

Gaining weight is not always a sign of getting less healthy. After basic training I'm in the best shape I've ever been in, and often amaze myself at what I can do, but I'm 20 pounds heavier than when I joined.

So, my prescription, straight from the 'get fit' flight: Work out as hard as you possibly can, to the verge of collapsing twice a day, 6 days a week, and eat as much as you can of relatively healthy food. Keep that up for just 1 to 3 weeks, and you should make amazing progress.

My progress:
Before:
Push ups: 31
Sit ups: 24
1.5 mile run: 13:20
141 pounds

After 1 week:
Push ups: 50
Sit ups: 48
1.5 mile run: 10:30
154 pounds

I'm not claiming it is fun; it was absolute hell. But it will get you much healthier in an amazingly short time.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
So, my prescription, straight from the 'get fit' flight: Work out as hard as you possibly can, to the verge of collapsing twice a day, 6 days a week, and eat as much as you can of relatively healthy food. Keep that up for just 1 to 3 weeks, and you should make amazing progress.

My progress:
Before:
Push ups: 31
Sit ups: 24
1.5 mile run: 13:20
141 pounds

After 1 week:
Push ups: 50
Sit ups: 48
1.5 mile run: 10:30
154 pounds

I'm not claiming it is fun; it was absolute hell. But it will get you much healthier in an amazingly short time.

How long does it last for? Are you doing it intermittently? For example people who do weight lifting do the hard training just before shows, and then leave it, and as soon as they leave it, their bodies go to the previous shape before the hard training started, it only stays in that dream shape as long as you do the hard work-outs, and you have to vary that as well as the body gets used to it and requires even harder work-outs to keep the new shape. So do you do this for the same reason? Must take amazing self-discipline.
Afaceinthematrix
wellerchap wrote:
Also, I've noticed my appetite has increased, probably due to the increased burning of calories I've begun....so I've actually PUT ON weight :shock:
Maybe it's better to stay in & do nothing after all :cry:

The same has happened to me. I don't go out walking as much as I do at other times of the year. However, there are advantages. For instance, I see more snakes in the summer.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

The same has happened to me. I don't go out walking as much as I do at other times of the year. However, there are advantages. For instance, I see more snakes in the summer.

Ditto. I'm working on contract in the Middle East and it is virtually impossible to go for walks unless you do it after midnight or really very early in the morning. Hellish hot over here ... and of course no activity always piles it on for me. Looking forward to October when it starts to cool down.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

How long does it last for? Are you doing it intermittently? For example people who do weight lifting do the hard training just before shows, and then leave it, and as soon as they leave it, their bodies go to the previous shape before the hard training started, it only stays in that dream shape as long as you do the hard work-outs, and you have to vary that as well as the body gets used to it and requires even harder work-outs to keep the new shape. So do you do this for the same reason? Must take amazing self-discipline.

It only lasted for one week for me, though it could be made to be longer if you needed it.
I haven't worked out that hard since that one week. I work out 3 days a week for perhaps 45 minutes, with stuff that is easy compared to that week. I haven't lost much at all, as far as I can tell. I'm actually pretty surprised about how well and how easily I can keep it up. If you do nothing for a while, it will go away, but you don't have to keep killing yourself with it afterwards.
It would, but I didn't have that problem. I kind of had the discipline infused in me by the training I was in. If you give a very mean man total control over your life and the sole objective to get you fit, the discipline comes automatically. Thats what really made the difference; motivation to give it 100%, not what is normally called 100%, but the "I'm going to keep at it because if I don't, I'm going to have to do even more 100%. (Nothing like having somebody there to say"Keep it up! NO! you stopped! Do we take breaks here? NO! Start over! Faster!" (profanity removed)) There were times when I actually fell down after finishing. If you can get that kind of discipline out of yourself, then I can assure you that this will get you in the best shape of your life in a week.
wellerchap
blimey!
That all sounds like VERY hard work to me Shocked
I'm not scared of the effort, but what I really don't like is excercise for the sake of it....running/gym work bore me to tears, which is why I can only really enjoy walking....although it takes much longer, if I'm in a place I really like, 'm interested in things other than the effort it takes.
Good on you guys though for whatever it takes.
homefun
Oh, WoW, it looks nice, very good pictures, I want to post some picture here too,
but i try almost an hour and fail, I don't know how to atached the pictures on this post like the guy
did on top. any one can help???
[/img]
ocalhoun
First, you need to host the image somewhere, such as photobucket or your frihost account.
Then, make note of the url of the image. (The correct url will bring up the image when typed into the address bar of your browser.)
Take the full url, including http://, and put it into your post surrounded by
Code:
[img] (url) [/img]
tags. That's all you have to do.
wellerchap
"How do I post pictures?" MUST be the number one most asked question on any internet forum....I'm amazed no-one's ever provided a fool-proof list on how to do it yet! Very Happy
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
"How do I post pictures?" MUST be the number one most asked question on any internet forum....I'm amazed no-one's ever provided a fool-proof list on how to do it yet! Very Happy

There's one on this forum, but you can't expect noobs to be able to find it, now do you?
*uses idea for new suggestion*
WicCaesar
I wish I could live near a place like this.
evvd1
Mee too, I'm living in a city, that seems to be build for the working class. Only office buildings here, no nice places

too bad