FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rabies in a cat?

saratdear
Yes, I do know that cats could carry rabies, what I would like to know is whether they could spread it by scratching?

I was scratched by my pet cat once, and the doctor told me that a cat spreading rabies through a scratch is unlikely, but to take a Tetanus Injection anyway. And he told to come back if the cat died or something within 10 days. It didn't, and this was nearly 3 months ago, so I guess I am safe.

My problem is that it scratched me again 10 days ago. I am waiting to see if anything wrong seems to be with it. Apart from being generally inactive (not running around or anything) and sleeping a lot of time, there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

Could anyone suggest what to do? Should I get a rabies shot just in case?
Klaw 2
Well better save then sorry, but most likely nothing happened. And you and your cat will be fine, some cats scratch others a little in a sense or play or when they feel they are being threatenend or just dont want to go out when you force them to.
saratdear
Well, thank you for the reply. More than about the scratching, I am worried about why it always seems more inactive. It seems to do nothing more than sleep for most part of the day.