FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 Official Thread

misterXY
Rumors have been talking about a new Windows o/s release next year after its predcessor vista, hence windows 2009
WLM 9.0 Beta [windows 2009]
etc.
Anyone have any feed on this? Opinions ?...
jeremyp
misterXY wrote:
Rumors have been talking about a new Windows o/s release next year after its predcessor vista, hence windows 2009
etc.

It's not happening. There are service packs in beta for XP and for Vista but Windows 7 will slip... I mean ship in 2012.

http://advice.cio.com/diann_daniel/microsoft_nixes_rumors_of_2009_windows_7_release
garionw
jeremyp wrote:
mean ship in 2012.

Actually it is going to be next year sometime: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1136
garionw
jeremyp wrote:
misterXY wrote:
etc.

It's not happening. There are service packs in beta for XP and for Vista but Windows 7 will slip... I mean ship in 2012.

http://advice.cio.com/diann_daniel/microsoft_nixes_rumors_of_2009_windows_7_release

And they're not rumors - its the real deal.

Windows 7(formally Vienna)
Diablosblizz
:O Oh my god! That looks so much like Vista! What exactly are they trying to do with Windows 7? From what I have heard they are redoing the whole entire code?

If so, I could see why everybody thinks that it "may" ship in 2011. It took like 6 years for them to finish Vista which requires the latest computer technology.

I don't have a fast enough computer for me to even think about installing Vista. Instead, I can just take the Visual Styles and theme my PC to the limits it can handle. But, if I did have a fast enough computer I would upgrade to Vista, only because of the looks as well as more security. Also, don't spam saying that I should switch to Linux, because quite frankly I don't care what operating system I use.
IllusionSoftware
I hope they fix everything that is wrong with Vista and bring the Luna skin back (The XP Skin). That would be awesome.

Anyway, the reason it looks like Vista is because its early in development and there probably developing the backbone of the OS right now.

Check out old Longhorn screenshots (codename for Vista) and you'll see it is like XP but then changed.

Lets just hope MS fixes all the issues and doesn't bring Direct X 11 where we need to buy new video cards again. *Ugh*
garionw
Diablosblizz wrote:
:O Oh my god! That looks so much like Vista! What exactly are they trying to do with Windows 7? From what I have heard they are redoing the whole entire code?

If so, I could see why everybody thinks that it "may" ship in 2011. It took like 6 years for them to finish Vista which requires the latest computer technology

There will be a new look, it just hasn't been released yet (Vista looked the same as XP when the first releases came out)

It will ship in 2009. I think the complete rewrite has been pushed back again.
Diablosblizz
garionw wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

If so, I could see why everybody thinks that it "may" ship in 2011. It took like 6 years for them to finish Vista which requires the latest computer technology

There will be a new look, it just hasn't been released yet (Vista looked the same as XP when the first releases came out)

It will ship in 2009. I think the complete rewrite has been pushed back again.

I suppose they need something to look at when their testing their new piece of cra... I mean software.
fadirocks
i thought they said windows 2009 server!!!
Diablosblizz
fadirocks wrote:

Why would Microsoft release Windows Server 2009 when they just released 2008?
IllusionSoftware
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

I don't think 2008 Server is even out yet. d'oh!
LostOverThere
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

Because Microsoft are evil and greedy? Seriously we've got to think logically here. Wink
garionw
LostOverThere wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

Because Microsoft are evil and greedy? Seriously we've got to think logically here. Wink

Its windows server 2008, and how often are ubuntu releases released? 6 months? maybe microsoft plan to give a cheaper upgrade pack
fadirocks
maybe it's all just a hype!!!
arbab
I think if this is server edition then Microsoft will launch there SERVER 2008 ,with new name SERVER 2009 as it is not in the market yet.I think they are delaying the launch as vista in my opinion is not a successful launch.
I f this is a window version then they should have to try really hard to make it perfect ,bug free and i think they should also decrease the system requirements .Waiting for hear more about this
jeremyp
garionw wrote:

Actually it is going to be next year sometime: http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1136

Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it. Windows Vista was three years late and they only got it out at all by cutting a lot of the promised features.
misterXY
IllusionSoftware wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

it actually is, a school i was going to go before i backed out, NAIT.ca have FREE rights to download it. Shocked
garionw
misterXY wrote:
IllusionSoftware wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

it actually is, a school i was going to go before i backed out, NAIT.ca have FREE rights to download it. Shocked

it's not out yet - maybe they had the beta or rc
misterXY
garionw wrote:
misterXY wrote:
IllusionSoftware wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:
fadirocks wrote:

it's not out yet - maybe they had the beta or rc

& also have licenses for it?
garionw
sorry, it was released to manufacturing on February 4, 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2008
Srs2388
it looks exactly like vista.. no gui changes at all.. you'd think they would make them a lil less demanding on the system or something.
misterXY
garionw wrote:
sorry, it was released to manufacturing on February 4, 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2008

thought so Rolling Eyes

Srs2388 wrote:
it looks exactly like vista.. no gui changes at all.. you'd think they would make them a lil less demanding on the system or something.

you never know anything w/ m$, look at longhorn & vista... yes longhorn was nicked for vista, but they dont look anything really alike in the early stages of longhorn.
Srs2388
oh i didn't think about that.. i hope they redo the GUI i like vista's but it takes a lot of resources to run... i have 2gb of ram on my laptop and it takes half of it just running without any applications.
evilryu530
i say the next realease will be like 2012- or 15, usually isn't it at least 5 years after? wonder what features will be next....
misterXY
Srs2388 wrote:
oh i didn't think about that.. i hope they redo the GUI i like vista's but it takes a lot of resources to run... i have 2gb of ram on my laptop and it takes half of it just running without any applications.

i kno how u feel bro but how can they cut back on the resources? Confused

evilryu530 wrote:
i say the next realease will be like 2012- or 15, usually isn't it at least 5 years after? wonder what features will be next....

not really
correct me, i wont go by SP's
95 3yrs later 98 two yrs later ME & 2000Net & the following yr XP???
bulek
I don't think that Windows 7 will be released so soon. As seen from the screenshots, they just started to develop it and there are almost no new features.
smakhal
I heard about windows 7(vienna).i think its just in its early developement stage 7 takr long time to come.!
cvkien
well well, i heard of windows 7 but i tried to download it twice but failed. so somehow it hard for me to believe that it true. probably that is the tweak done by someone and post it for people's attention. well, until i tried it, then only i believe that is true "leak" before out for sale. or maybe that is some of the update leak from microsoft.
kenneth503
I used windows2008..What is win2009?
mahirharoon
win 2009 is vienna and 2008 is the server
csoftdev
i doubted that there is one that replace vista so soon. it must be server or other version sthat is not meant for desktop replacement. the next one to replace vista is called windows 7.
rvec
upgrading to sticky Cool
too many other windows 2009/7 topics
Srs2388
I would like to try it out..
I saw that screenshot it still has the same GUI though I would like to see a different GUI.
garionw
Srs2388 wrote:
I saw that screenshot it still has the same GUI though I would like to see a different GUI.

The different GUI isn't expected until M2 is released (or later)

csoftdev wrote:
i doubted that there is one that replace vista so soon. it must be server or other version sthat is not meant for desktop replacement. the next one to replace vista is called windows 7.

It could possibly be a cheaper one, although there are some new interesting features going into it, but a Mac OS is released around every 18 months and before XP there was a new OS every 2-3 years
Bockman
Microsoft's normal O.S. lifecycle is about 2 years (at least for client O.S.). It has always been so (btw XP was released in 2002) except with Vista, due to (huge) setbacks.

As far as I know, (and that isn't much Laughing ) the team working on Vista got delayed but the team working on the next version (after Vista) got started on 2004/5 as well. meaning Microsoft was working on 2 O.S's at the same time (not counting servers). I wouldn't be surprised if they got some of the work form both teams into Vista ( i think they borrowed some of the 2008 server for Vista too) but being separate projects, there should be some major differences (considering they still have one year to go before launch).

But having a new Windows (client) O.S. launching in 2009 is within the normal time frame. It may get pushed back a year or so for severall reasons (main 2: production set backs and to allow Vista to become profitable, since it didn't quite get a good start and isn't selling as much as MS expected)

Be Well Cool
justtj
Looking at the time it took from windows XP to Vista, it will take another 3 years for the windows 7 to come..

and when it does, who knows.. it might just end up like windows Vista..
hehe..

but if u look at the timeline, it took less than 2 years for win95 to win97
1 year for win98
1 year for ME
1 year for 2000

and around 5 years for a Vista..
Very Happy

but according to me, XP is the best.. just like 98 was..

and Windows 7, or Vienna will be more of a web application than a OS..
it might be a Big Big Hit in countries where T1 or T3 connections are available, but in countries like India [where i live] the dream to run a windows Live over 256kbps seems dream only.. Sad

but still 'm Happy with XP..
justtj
Srs2388 wrote:
I saw that screen shots it still has the same GUI though I would like to see a different GUI.

I believe the screen shots are not true in most of the cases.
I remember seeing screen shots of Longhorn ages before it was launched which soon turned out to be fake when the Beta was launched..

btw any link to screenshots?
billgertz
yeah it looks pretty much like windows vista (looks exactly like vista for me). I went on youtube to see if someone is able to upload and I was.. I'm bit disappointed.. but of course, windows seven still have a long way to go before it will be released.
garionw
garionw wrote:
Srs2388 wrote:

The different GUI isn't expected until M2 is released (or later)

Are people not reading what I say Rolling Eyes
kansloos
Weren't they gonna redo the kernel and break binary compatibility with the previous Windows versions?
cvkien
Vista is just starting up, why would MS create new OS so soon? isn't it better if MS make Vista more stable or something?
Da Rossa
cvkien wrote:
Vista is just starting up, why would MS create new OS so soon? isn't it better if MS make Vista more stable or something?

I was about to ask the same thing. I think this is a bunch of rumours, only. It is ilogical to M$ to start presenting the future OS by this time.
garionw
cvkien wrote:

Will you people please start reading the whole conversation.

There was around a year between Me and XP
There was 2 years between '98 and Me
There were 3 years '95 and '98

Its been 2 years since Vista
Mac updates are released every 18 months
Ubuntu Updates twice annually

Why shouldn't Microsoft release another Operating System
xbcd
shoot. First lets patch up vista then work on a new os. This isn't apple after all. they (Microsoft) can not put out a somewhat quality product in a 2 year cycle.
powerfusion66
There 's too much hype on this.
I can't undestand any reason microsoft is working on a new os, the time that vista are getting the first patches(sp1).
It is like when win xp got their sp2..
All this marketing with Vista, all this "essential" transaction for playing the also hyped dx10 games and now they are "burying" this product?
I dont think microsoft will work this way. Time will tell...
teencompforum
Look as far as we know it is not coming out okay?
If microsoft say so then thats that.
I think a alot of the pictures are done in photoshop.
garionw
teencompforum wrote:
Look as far as we know it is not coming out okay?
If microsoft say so then thats that.
I think a alot of the pictures are done in photoshop.

Maybe I left frihost for a reason. Stop being so pigheaded and read my messages.

Windows 7 is coming out. It's release is due for 2009/2010
Microsoft have said so, and in a number of places.
- http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1314
- http://www.istartedsomething.com/20080123/insider-confirm-windows-7/
- http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/01/windows_7_to_be_released_ahead_of_schedule-2.html

The screenshots are real, but why would microsoft release the GUI so early into development. Don't you think they'll get the Kernal and OS working before they worry about any fancy features?
pll
Well, I just heard that the new code name for windows coming in 2009 was Quebec.

Windows Embedded Quebec.
Also, heard that microsoft always take the name of cities around the world for their codenames.
The funny thing is that I live in Quebec city !! Cool

I think they took our city because we are celebrating 400 years since the creation of the city.
Yup, we are the first place to be found by Jacques Cartier. Then founded in 1608 by Samuel De Champlain.
xbcd
long story short. microsoft is trying to copy apple's OS release cycle since it has proven so successful. Once again; apple the inovater and microsoft the follower.
pll
Agreed ... I'm 100% with you!
ace_dude512
Actually, Windows 7 will be released in 2010. The theme is a little different, with an animated logon screen and the windows fully transparent(Windows Vista's theme loses transparency when it's maximized). The search bar is movable.
shkhanal
New windows immediately we don't expect yet. Vista itself has not be everywhere yet.
nitepr
misterXY wrote:
etc.
\
wat ur kidding me windows needs to get there act together and make 1 good operating system
achowles
garionw wrote:
cvkien wrote:

Will you people please start reading the whole conversation.

There was around a year between Me and XP
There was 2 years between '98 and Me
There were 3 years '95 and '98

Its been 2 years since Vista
Mac updates are released every 18 months
Ubuntu Updates twice annually

Why shouldn't Microsoft release another Operating System

There was only 2 years between 95 and 98. Microsoft obviously couldn't be bothered to change the name when they missed their deadline. Razz

But yes, you're right. Vista hasn't been very well received. For Microsoft to expect it to have the same longevity as XP would be a bad move.

From what I've heard, Win7 can be expected some time during 2010. Not next year. Right now I've got no idea what's meant to distinguish it from Vista. It looks about as much of an update as ME was to 98. Just hopefully not so incomplete upon release.

Still, I'll probably have to buy it given that I opted out of getting Vista.
Flarkis
Just a sad attempt to repair the huge amound of damage done by vista.
shenyl
Marketing strategies and production planning must be the two driving forces
for all these products from Microsoft.

The marketing plan is to general a consistent stream of products that can keep the customer paying (not neccessary happy though).

The production plan must be synchronized with the marketing strategy to generate the products and of course get the profits in.

With these two strategic issues - there is little room to consider whether you need to upgrade from single processor to dual (Oh maybe need quad processors in Windows 7), or whether you need a more Advanced Video Processor (Oh, maybe dual Video processors in Windows 7).

So if you are supportive of these strategic moves by Microsoft - keep you purse, checkbook and credit card ready - many more are on the strategic horizon.

Oh, I am just looking from the marketing and production perspectives.

With regards.
shkhanal
Nice thought and exciting.
lastelement0
im somewhat surprised at the fact that microsoft is basically cutting ties with vista so soon. however the January 2010 release date that they have set seems a little to soon for microsoft to be able to release a decent OS. look at what happened with Vista. there were several setbacks that delayed the release of Vista. and from reactions to date, they still haven't addressed all of the major issues with it. this the reason fo windows 7 being released relatively soon after?

only time will tell how well this OS is compared to Vista.
dmystic
The sayings that microsoft is rewriting the code is already been stopped. Because it would screw up the compatibility with other windows, Microsoft would have got 2 problems:

1. Noone will buy Vista because for Windows 7 it wouldnt be compatible

2. They would loose much customers. people arent going to linux because of compatibility. if win7 also got no compatibility, people are going to look to alternatives
shkhanal
dmystic wrote:
The sayings that microsoft is rewriting the code is already been stopped. Because it would screw up the compatibility with other windows, Microsoft would have got 2 problems:

1. Noone will buy Vista because for Windows 7 it wouldnt be compatible

2. They would loose much customers. people arent going to linux because of compatibility. if win7 also got no compatibility, people are going to look to alternatives

That's true. If linux was compatible and friendly, obviously everybody would jump to it. Buying a complete new set and again learning everything is not a small issue.
schoenstattmx
windows vista is just an operating system that makes your computer slower, i have a pc with 2 gb of ram 160gb in harddisk and a turion64x2 processator, my computer works like a commmodore 64 with tha windows, now, imagine the windows 7, its just appearance
leosthenerd
I hate vista. I can tell you it sucks eggs because I've used it...I hope microsoft fixes vistas massive FAIL in their next windows release... Sad
balend
In their Investors meeting, Microsoft confirmed the fact that Windows 7 is still on track for a release date of 2010. By the time the OS actually ships, everyone will have already seen it, as they will release Betas and RC versions for testers to use and send feedback.
justtj
Microsoft officially spoke about windows 7 at its blog.

The major components for the new OS will be

* Applets and Gadgets
* Assistance and Support Technologies
* Core User Experience
* Customer Engineering and Telemetry
* Deployment and Component Platform
* Desktop Graphics
* Devices and Media
* Devices and Storage
* Documents and Printing
* Engineering System and Tools
* File System
* Find and Organize
* Fundamentals
* Internet Explorer (including IE 8 down-level)
* International
* Kernel & VM
* Media Center
* Networking - Core
* Networking - Enterprise
* Networking - Wireless
* Security
* User Interface Platform
* Windows App Platform

each being developed by a separate team..

There are great expectations from it... Very Happy

Read more @
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/08/18/windows_5F00_7_5F00_team.aspx
rebill
Windows like a shit , I hate it .
Fire Boar
* Applets and Gadgets
They've been around in the Vista sidebar, and on Linux and Mac since forever.

* Assistance and Support Technologies
Help, in other words. Good grief, that'll be jolly handy won't it!

* Core User Experience
Vague. Still, I kinda see what they're getting at. The "Core User Experience" for Vista really wasn't great, was it?

* Customer Engineering and Telemetry
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

* Deployment and Component Platform
So basically... "something that you can use your hardware with".

* Desktop Graphics
How original.

* Devices and Media
Remind me which devices are unsupported in any operating system again?

* Devices and Storage
Hopefully the computer will support a hard drive. What this really means is "making a new filesystem and depreciating NTFS, then making it impossible for non-Windows people to get at it for a few years".

* Documents and Printing
I can do that perfectly well already thank you. Copy+Paste much?

* Engineering System and Tools
'mmkay. That's very vague.

* File System
Okay, I was wrong. THIS is the depreciating NTFS bit.

* Find and Organize
So, what's new here?

* Fundamentals
Vaaaaague.

* Internet Explorer (including IE 8 down-level)
Oh please no, spare me!

* International
Except for China. They don't like paying the west for operating systems, remember?

* Kernel & VM
Alias of "Deployment and Component Platform"

* Media Center
Er... Windows 7: Media Center edition? No thanks.

* Networking - Core
This would be helpful. Oh wait, I can do it already, never mind.

* Networking - Enterprise
Vague as vague can be...

* Networking - Wireless
Yay for no wires. Oh wait, we were doing that since Windows 98 SP2.

* Security
Windows? Secure? *giggles hysterically, rolling around on the floor* Aah dear... if they can pull this one off I give epic kudos to them!

* User Interface Platform
It helps if the user can interact with the OS, certainly.

* Windows App Platform
Alias of "The crap that comes bundled which you never use".

They haven't really said what's new in this little list. It's hard to get excited like this.
amperx
i do hope though that it will not selfishly port dx11 or any version that will come out with it to that os alone XD
misterXY
This is a huge gamble, trying to set up a O/S based on the internet as a platform either going to take off or crash hard. l supposed creating apps in their method would work... but .. not sure, l like the current method, it's just more common and works more efficiently.
westcp
yay

im overjoyed

can you tell

yes just what i need

more microsoft CR@P

im moving to MAC
misterXY
westcp wrote:
yay

im overjoyed

can you tell

yes just what i need

more microsoft CR@P

im moving to MAC

Go linux, leaving the pc market for a mac is just stupid, lack of choice!
l'm now running linux of my thumbdrive Smile Long live the pc's
Fire Boar
Oh, I remember something. Microsoft were saying how they would be innovating in the server edition of Windows 7 by allowing it to be booted without a GUI, thus improving resources.

Wow. That is so incredible. Totally original too, I'm sure. I mean come on, it would take some kind of genius to figure out that a GUI is an unnecessary resource hog in server situations. I mean, it's not as if competing OSes such as GNU/Linux allow you to run without Gnome, KDE or XFCE. You absolutely must have one of them or the computer just doesn't work at all. And we all know the GUI was invented before the CLI.

Wait, hang on...
debsuvra
Fire Boar wrote:
* Applets and Gadgets

FYI MS ideated desktop gadgets before anyone else in the world. There is a misunderstanding that Yahoo Konfabulator started all these things but desktop gadgets were present in longhorn before that.

SOURCE
misterXY
debsuvra wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:
* Applets and Gadgets

FYI MS ideated desktop gadgets before anyone else in the world. There is a misunderstanding that Yahoo Konfabulator started all these things but desktop gadgets were present in longhorn before that.

SOURCE

Yep, l may be only 19 but l remember those days, people just are looking for something to attack vista, which isn't a bad operating system, the betas is what started the slip up. and now l fear MS will think twice before giving any betas out, which blows since l jump on them.

And the requirements for vista is high, but honestly, every release has been, imagen XP running on a 98 se machine, l've done it and hated it, maybe we're under doing it for vista.
cyberbuddy
Windows 7 sounds good but why now !!!!already vista existing and i should say that Microsoft should keep a small gap between introduction of OS
devaco
I am waiting now for Windows 7. I use also MacBook. So i like to compare them..
Da Rossa
From what I hear around, Windows Se7en is gonna be more like "Windows Vista 2.0". No major changes except for approaching the Mac OSX dock style.
misterXY
Da Rossa wrote:
From what I hear around, Windows Se7en is gonna be more like "Windows Vista 2.0". No major changes except for approaching the Mac OSX dock style.

wouldn't surprise me, but if ll remember, doesn't mac copy for linux? or unix?
westcp
hey guys

anyone know if the beta is available yet?

cheers

oh. i run windows vista on a celeron 2.4 with 512 ram and no gfx card. Home Basic, but still tis vista
funky_programmer
AFAIK, there's no beta version yet..maybe next year?

In my opinion, windows 7 is a little bit imitating KDE4 because of the widgets and taskbar.
Doesn't it looks like KDE4?
I think that Microsoft doesn't want to lose the battle between Windows and other operating system like linux distros that gets more and more better nowadays. Besides MacOS X is also becoming more stable with its updates and patches. now it is in version 10.5.5 with a lot of new features and bugfix.
Nolt
W7 beta build 7000 on Virtual PC with 768mb ram with normal test (IE+WMP+PAINT ^^) uses less than 500MB RAM exactly 448. I know that Vista will die and all ppl who bought vista will kill MS for this memory eater OS, but maybe futured 7 will be more CPU and memory friendly than Vista.
LostOverThere
funky_programmer wrote:
AFAIK, there's no beta version yet..maybe next year?

In my opinion, windows 7 is a little bit imitating KDE4 because of the widgets and taskbar.
Doesn't it looks like KDE4?
I think that Microsoft doesn't want to lose the battle between Windows and other operating system like linux distros that gets more and more better nowadays. Besides MacOS X is also becoming more stable with its updates and patches. now it is in version 10.5.5 with a lot of new features and bugfix.

The beta comes out tomorrow, or to be more precise. On the 9th of January in the afternoon (for America). I believe it will be a 2.5GB download.
mwsupra
More specifically, its available today (in about 3 hours) and they will be stopping after 2.5 million keys have been given out. The site you're supposed to download it from (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/) is already crapping out even though its not time yet. But this beta version has already leaked on the internet so you could torrent the file elsewhere and just grab a key from MS.
misterXY
mwsupra wrote:
More specifically, its available today (in about 3 hours) and they will be stopping after 2.5 million keys have been given out. The site you're supposed to download it from (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/) is already crapping out even though its not time yet. But this beta version has already leaked on the internet so you could torrent the file elsewhere and just grab a key from MS.

Yep, there's alot of issues trying to get a copy of either the O/S or key. Like the USSR during WW2, one man to a rifle, another to a clip of ammunition. Rather use a torrent, it's a beta, they've been giving it out for free, l don't think there going to give you a huge hassle for using it, unless it's not a beta.

W7 is already a big hit among us nerds, l haven't had a chance too install but surely convincing my little brother, only issue is it's a hp laptop (pavillion dv2xx) and and quicklaunch (which l hate with a passion), it'll probably not have the drivers for it unless it's already built in the motherboard, which l think it is since when the mobo had gave me trouble about a month ago, it was the first thing to give out. Told the tech it wasn't a update nor re-installing would make a difference, it was a mobo burnt somewheres and still running, bizarre. But now, the box with the laptop back with a note, new motherboard and complimented me on my knowledge? lol Some techs are just awesome since he didn't reformat the drive, like they normally do.
Chinmoy
thing has got some dot net problems. avira, tuneup utilities does not work properly!!
hummer010
Installed the beta yesterday. So far so good. I'm not a regular windows user, but I always have it installed for games.

The only issue I've had so far is that lot's of software will complain about the windows version, even though anything Vista compatible should still work. Luckily the program compatibility application has seen some work (might have been from Vista, I haven't used Vista a whole lot), and everything has worked fine after using the Program Compatibility wizard.

I haven't had a single crash or software issue yet.

The taskbar takes some getting used to, but in the end, I think I like it. I might have to revisit Avant Window Navigator for Debian, and see if I can get similar functionality there.

[EDIT]I forgot to mention, UAC is much easier to disable in 7 than Vista. I enjoyed initial setup much more when I didn't have to keep allowing everything.[/EDIT]
kody
I installed the beta on the weekend and it installed flawlessly. Without doubt the best windows installation experience I've ever had. I was blown away!
hummer010
Anyone who is using the beta, I recommend you read this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx

It's a list of 30 tips and tricks for the Windows 7 beta. There are some really useful/interesting tips in there.

Da Rossa wrote:

True, but XP was basically just Windows 2000 V2.0, and it turned out to be a pretty good OS.
Fire Boar
I'll be seeing Windows 7 beta myself tomorrow, I'll let you guys know my first impressions. Heck, I'll even try and take an unbiased viewpoint!
atleetalie
Hearing all this, it seems better than Vista, but it's still a beta, so the release maybe a bit more disapointing, or will this be the first good version, loved from the start?
Fire Boar
Hm, after an hour or so it does seem to be fairly intuitive. It looks similar to Vista, but there are a number of subtle tweaks that make it more appealing. The orb thing's still there though, as is the ribbon interface.

There's some good stuff in there though. Word Pad has limited but functional support for .odt format files, which is a total miracle coming from Microsoft. Hopefully Microsoft Office will follow suit and have full support of the whole range of OpenDocument formats.

Windows are now dockable, which basically means you can press Meta+Left or Meta+Right to make the window take up exactly half of the screen. Very handy if you want to have two windows side by side without losing the size information. The taskbar can also be middle-clicked or shift-clicked to open up a new instance of an existing window, which is nice. More keyboard shortcuts for power-users: Meta+Up maximizes a window while Meta+Down minimizes.

Now onto the taskbar. There's still no support for any real kind of customization here, you have a Launcher (Start Menu for those wise folks still using XP), an applications bar, a system tray and a clock. Same as before really, and still no support for multiple bars or extra widgets. However, the applications bar is given an upgrade. You now have the option to hide the name of the program open, meaning icons take up much less space. Icons also group by default, and you get previews of all open applications by hovering over the icon. This might not sound so good, but it does work well. The old "quick launch" bar is now integrated with the applications bar, which also works well: the system preloads whatever's there into memory and you can just launch the programs quickly and easily as if restoring them from a minimize.

That's another thing: Windows 7 seems HUGELY more responsive than Vista. Notice the word "seems": in actual fact, it's just smoke and mirrors; benchmarking tests have indicated no performance change at all. But it certainly feels a lot snappier and that's enough to keep most of us happy.

What else? Well, not a great deal on the surface. I'm sure there are other improvements over Vista, but in the short time I got to spend with Windows 7 I've covered the things that have jumped out at me.

Now for the bad. It's still a resource hog, and that's something that really needs to be fixed before release. You can't expect people to have cutting edge technology to run an operating system, and booting up on 2GB of RAM and a year-old processor was very slow (took just over a minute). DRM will undoubtedly be supported in Windows 7, so expect your computers to take a nosedive in overall performance whenever you install something from EA or similar paranoid publishers. Also, the ribbon interface seems to be here to stay.

So to conclude: Microsoft have taken steps forward here, that's for sure. Their rate for bringing out viable products is about 50%, and this could well be on the same side of that 50% as Windows XP was. This does seem to be what Windows Vista was supposed to be in the first place, and I wouldn't be surprised if after release Windows 7 becomes the viable competitor to Mac and Linux. Only time will tell whether or not 7 will end up as good as the beta seems to suggest: if they manage to fix the problems listed I really don't see why not.
o_man
I have been using the beta (build 7000) for three days now, so here's my bit. I never actually used Vista. I had XP just the way I liked it; but because it's free I got a copy. For references purposes, here's my specs:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
I'm using a 20GB bootcamp partition

The startup felt about as fast as XP, which is a good sign. I had to turn off the Aero glass stuff, but otherwise it runs great. Multi-tasking was never great with 512mb, but somehow it feels faster. I have no use for the gadgets or applets or whatever, but if you like that kind of thing (I don't even use the dashboard in mac) then it's okay. I really think that the rewrite of explorer was great. the right-click of dock icons and the way explorer works overall is excellent. The search is nearly as good as Spotlight on the mac. People complained about hardware issues, but the only problem I've had on any of my computers (several of which are ancient) is with audio drivers, but once 7 is officially released it will probably get better. It feels very secure, and it's just a great operating system.

ATTENTION MICROSOFT BASHERS!!:

When Leopard was first launched, people on the mac got a "green" screen of death. The Windows 7 install was flawless. I know some people had to install it a second time, but the 2nd time worked. When Leopard was available to developers as a beta, several claimed it felt like a shell, low on features. People LOVED build 6801 which was PRE-BETA software. The official beta, build 7000, is completely stable and excellent, and it won't even be officially released for awhile. I have NEVER enjoyed pre-release mac os's nearly as much as I like Windows 7. I love all OS's from mac to solaris, but fan boys like Fire Boar need to wake up and smell the coffee, because like it or not, Win7 is a beautiful piece of work and I will be first in line to buy the final version.
Fire Boar
o_man wrote:
I love all OS's from mac to solaris, but fan boys like Fire Boar need to wake up and smell the coffee, because like it or not, Win7 is a beautiful piece of work and I will be first in line to buy the final version.

Didn't you read my post? Fanboyism doesn't enter into it, and I'll try to explain why in this post. Let me iterate once more.

I liked what I saw of Windows 7.

I am simply morally opposed to Microsoft's way of doing things, and being a poweruser, I prefer Linux, and I have much higher standards than most people. I would certainly recommend Windows 7 to the average user, provided it continues in its current vein. That, considering my high standards, is a great amount of praise coming from me.

The trouble is, Microsoft have a habit of doing underhanded things without telling people, so you can expect me to be a bit paranoid. I personally won't be switching to Windows 7, not now I can use the incredible power over your computer that Linux offers. I will, however, be putting Windows 7 on my list of viable operating system products, possibly right at the top for most people. That's something that Vista never achieved.
Hogwarts
westcp wrote:
im moving to MAC

Have fun with your Fisher Price PC.

And, no hating here, and this is coming from a Linux fan, but Windows 7 actually is sounding and looking to be pretty decent at the moment. Of course, now I expect to be swamped by every idiot in the universe.

This may, in comparison to Vista, turn out better than XP was in comparison to 2000 -- although I can't honestly say that's difficult. Regardless, Windows 7 could provide salvation to Windows and redeem Microsoft's previous failure.
Studio Madcrow
Hogwarts wrote:
westcp wrote:
im moving to MAC

Have fun with your Fisher Price PC.

And, no hating here, and this is coming from a Linux fan, but Windows 7 actually is sounding and looking to be pretty decent at the moment. Of course, now I expect to be swamped by every idiot in the universe.

This may, in comparison to Vista, turn out better than XP was in comparison to 2000 -- although I can't honestly say that's difficult. Regardless, Windows 7 could provide salvation to Windows and redeem Microsoft's previous failure.

I'd have to agree. I'm a Linux fan (and currently 100% Windows free), but as long as Windows 7 keeps up the way it's currently going, I plan on having a bit of drive space available to try Windows 7 on.
o_man
Fire Boar wrote:
o_man wrote:
I love all OS's from mac to solaris, but fan boys like Fire Boar need to wake up and smell the coffee, because like it or not, Win7 is a beautiful piece of work and I will be first in line to buy the final version.

Didn't you read my post? Fanboyism doesn't enter into it, and I'll try to explain why in this post. Let me iterate once more.

I liked what I saw of Windows 7.

I am simply morally opposed to Microsoft's way of doing things, and being a poweruser, I prefer Linux, and I have much higher standards than most people. I would certainly recommend Windows 7 to the average user, provided it continues in its current vein. That, considering my high standards, is a great amount of praise coming from me.

The trouble is, Microsoft have a habit of doing underhanded things without telling people, so you can expect me to be a bit paranoid. I personally won't be switching to Windows 7, not now I can use the incredible power over your computer that Linux offers. I will, however, be putting Windows 7 on my list of viable operating system products, possibly right at the top for most people. That's something that Vista never achieved.

@Fire boar

My apologies, I misunderstood.
Fire Boar
No problem. I'm rooting for the success of Windows 7 actually - a good product spurs on development in the competition and I think that's what Microsoft realized after Windows Vista was released and the Windows population started to show a decline. If Windows 7 is great, its competitors will strive to become greater: that's just the way things happen.

Although having said that, Windows Vista was probably one of the the best things that ever happened to the hardware market. Hardware really did get a move on after its release. Wink
ParsaAkbari
Windows 7 seems to be pretty good, but yet again like vista, it probably bring some little childish protection that mildly experianced computer users really do not need, mainly: not being able to edit your own c:/program files/ directory.

Personally XP is the best and always will be, we want simplicity not good looks.
misterXY
hummer010 wrote:
Anyone who is using the beta, I recommend you read this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx

It's a list of 30 tips and tricks for the Windows 7 beta. There are some really useful/interesting tips in there.

Da Rossa wrote:

True, but XP was basically just Windows 2000 V2.0, and it turned out to be a pretty good OS.

Thanks for the tips Very Happy
hummer010
ParsaAkbari wrote:
Windows 7 seems to be pretty good, but yet again like vista, it probably bring some little childish protection that mildly experianced computer users really do not need, mainly: not being able to edit your own c:/program files/ directory.

Personally XP is the best and always will be, we want simplicity not good looks.

If you want simplicity, DOS is about as simple as it gets. It's pretty stable too! Laughing

It's pretty bold to claim that XP will always be the best. It all depends on what you are doing. XP's not so good at 64-bit support. XP also suffers from some memory limitations that 7 won't. Eventually XP will lack driver support for all the latest and greatest hardware too.

All of the protection can be disabled. You can edit the Program Files directory. UAC is easily disabled in 7, although I'm not too sure why it needs a reboot to do it?

The real difficulty for MS is trying to create all things for everyone. As the most used OS's, they have a wide range of users from complete novice to experts.
kody
I've installed Windows 7 on two machines now without any problems. This OS is VERY impressive.
snowynight
win 7 is one of the greatest os. I am using it to post here......
Fire Boar
What we really need is an OS with a built-in spelling/grammar checker which embeds itself wherever you have the option to edit text, and doesn't include the option to turn it off.
locoom
i hate microsoft because i format evrytime my pc and i tired this Sad
i bought a mac since 2006 i am happy. no viruses no crashes Smile
go buy a mac or change ur O.S thats my idea Smile
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
What we really need is an OS with a built-in spelling/grammar checker which embeds itself wherever you have the option to edit text, and doesn't include the option to turn it off.

Try FireFox & Thunderbird, and l think SongBird, it's built right in and use it all the time, and plus what about those who have CDN English? MS by default is american... it's a pain in the ass...

locoom wrote:
i hate microsoft because i format evrytime my pc and i tired this Sad
i bought a mac since 2006 i am happy. no viruses no crashes Smile
go buy a mac or change ur O.S thats my idea Smile

Whatever fanboy, go post somewheres else. Getting tired of mac users "oh its so easy". PC's are for the strong and those who want too learn, using mac's l learned nothing... while Windows and Linux has gotten me quite interested in programming, graphics but also GAMING. But like l said, not too be a douchebag but stop flamming. It's a windows 7 post not a go mac post. Mad
Fire Boar
Mac: Hi, I'm a Mac.
PC: And I'm a PC.
Mac: Okay, so I can do a whole lot of cool stuff... I'm really good at creative stuff, playing with images, making websites, making home movies, that kinda thing. Oh, and I also run Microsoft Office really well too.
Mac: So, uh... what can you do?
PC: *turns into a vicious monster* GAMES!!!

*cough*

Anyway, what I meant earlier was having built-in spelling/grammar. And not just the naff "oh, did you mean...?" that exists at the moment... I mean a system that forces you to type coherently in whatever language you use on the internet. Yes, that's right. One that won't let you get away with bad spelling.

[/grammar nazism]
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
Mac: Hi, I'm a Mac.
PC: And I'm a PC.
Mac: Okay, so I can do a whole lot of cool stuff... I'm really good at creative stuff, playing with images, making websites, making home movies, that kinda thing. Oh, and I also run Microsoft Office really well too.
Mac: So, uh... what can you do?
PC: *turns into a vicious monster* GAMES!!!

*cough*

Anyway, what I meant earlier was having built-in spelling/grammar. And not just the naff "oh, did you mean...?" that exists at the moment... I mean a system that forces you to type coherently in whatever language you use on the internet. Yes, that's right. One that won't let you get away with bad spelling.

[/grammar nazism]

lol Games rule, so pc can be evil as it wants Smile
As for the spelling, it's just the fact that for example Canadian english on windows is horrible, ie the keys, it mixes in with the Canadian french, and that's annoying. We use what American english use for characters, example colour and color, the one with the u is Canadian.
Kelvin
I've heard good reviews on Windows 7 Beta, faster load up times and performance. I've yet to install it cause i just finished downloading it today. The availability of Windows 7 Beta is only for another few days according to microsoft's website so for those who have yet to get hold of it, better do it now before it is removed.
misterXY
Kelvin wrote:
I've heard good reviews on Windows 7 Beta, faster load up times and performance. I've yet to install it cause i just finished downloading it today. The availability of Windows 7 Beta is only for another few days according to microsoft's website so for those who have yet to get hold of it, better do it now before it is removed.

Well if you miss it, The Pirate Bay, or PM me, l have a 64x and 32x keys, l also heard it runs good on notebooks, might be a reason why too upgrade now, can't hide forever beyond 32x, next 5 years is going to 64x
saratdear
OK guys I downloaded the ISO using Flashget. Unfortunately, the drat thing stopped responding just when the download reached 2.44 GB...I could burn the ISO file, so I thought everything was OK, but when I am installing, just when copying Windows files reaches 75%, it stops saying some vital files are missing.

So I am thinking maybe it did not download part of a file or something. I will try to list the files I have burned to the DVD, and can anybody tell me if anything is missing?

Name of Disc : GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD

Folders :

boot
Inside, 2 other folders and 6 files

efi
Inside, another folder 'microsoft'

sources
Inside, 165 objects

support
Inside, 3 folders

upgrade
Inside, folder 'netfix'

Then, 3 other files : autorun, bootmgr, setup
misterXY
saratdear wrote:
OK guys I downloaded the ISO using Flashget. Unfortunately, the drat thing stopped responding just when the download reached 2.44 GB...I could burn the ISO file, so I thought everything was OK, but when I am installing, just when copying Windows files reaches 75%, it stops saying some vital files are missing.

So I am thinking maybe it did not download part of a file or something. I will try to list the files I have burned to the DVD, and can anybody tell me if anything is missing?

Folders :

boot

efi

sources
Inside, 165 objects

support
Inside, 3 folders

upgrade
Inside, folder 'netfix'

32x or 64x?
saratdear
misterXY wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Folders :

boot

efi

sources
Inside, 165 objects

support
Inside, 3 folders

upgrade
Inside, folder 'netfix'

32x or 64x?

32x. Which one do you have?

EDIT : Never mind, I got another copy. Thanks or the help. Wink
misterXY
saratdear wrote:
misterXY wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Folders :

boot

efi

sources
Inside, 165 objects

support
Inside, 3 folders

upgrade
Inside, folder 'netfix'

32x or 64x?

32x. Which one do you have?

EDIT : Never mind, I got another copy. Thanks or the help. Wink

Alright, l have both and several keys, l jumped on the moment just incase lol, never know with M$.
BTW, update on us, did it go smoothly?
Tuvitor
I keep hearing all sorts of good stuff about Windows 7. If I had an extra hard drive kicking around, I'd be inclined to install it, just to see what everyone's raving about. Unfortunately, i have too much stuff I rely upon *working* to experiment on either of the desktop machines I have that are best suited to Windows 7.
saratdear
@misterXY - Yes, it did almost, thanks. Smile It had a spot of trouble accepting my key. It kept declaring the key was invalid. So I entered my friend's key. The installation would go busy for a minute, then return to the same page. So I decided to install without a key.

Being someone who is making the change from XP (and never tried out Vista) Win 7 seems first and foremost, eye-candy. I did not have time to examine all of its features, going to do so now. A regret is that I am not getting the taskbar as promised. When I hover over a minimised program, I get a black bar with the name of the program and a close button, and not a thumbnail shot.
misterXY
saratdear wrote:
@misterXY - Yes, it did almost, thanks. Smile It had a spot of trouble accepting my key. It kept declaring the key was invalid. So I entered my friend's key. The installation would go busy for a minute, then return to the same page. So I decided to install without a key.

Being someone who is making the change from XP (and never tried out Vista) Win 7 seems first and foremost, eye-candy. I did not have time to examine all of its features, going to do so now. A regret is that I am not getting the taskbar as promised. When I hover over a minimised program, I get a black bar with the name of the program and a close button, and not a thumbnail shot.

Could be the video card? Well here's some keys if these work. l heard some just get registered too quickly and go crap. Also re-entering the same key a few days later also works.

Windows 7 Beta 64-bit Product Key

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.

Product key: RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M

Windows 7 Beta 32-bit Product Key

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 32-bit.

Product key: 4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH

l figured it be okay too post since MS is giving it away too anyone who jumped on it.
misterXY
misterXY wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Could be the video card? What DirectX version are you running? Also, maybe not enough memory? Well here's some keys if these work. l heard some just get registered too quickly and go crap. Also re-entering the same key a few days later also works.

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.

You may use the following product key to activate your evaluation copy of Windows 7 Beta 32-bit.

l figured it be okay too post since MS is giving it away too anyone who jumped on it.
misterXY
Tuvitor wrote:
I keep hearing all sorts of good stuff about Windows 7. If I had an extra hard drive kicking around, I'd be inclined to install it, just to see what everyone's raving about. Unfortunately, i have too much stuff I rely upon *working* to experiment on either of the desktop machines I have that are best suited to Windows 7.

Dual boot and run using partition your HDD?
Tuvitor
Nope, just don't have the space to do that.
misterXY
Tuvitor wrote:
Nope, just don't have the space to do that.

Fun, same, but look through temp files and junk, like downloads, and theres alot of waste that windows thinks you'll need later, one was too install windows live messenger, that was 8 months ago? Wasteeeee and it builds up. three nights ago, cleared 3 gigs, havent started with my torrented files yet.
saratdear
misterXY wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Could be the video card? Well here's some keys if these work. l heard some just get registered too quickly and go crap. Also re-entering the same key a few days later also works.

Thanks for the help, but I got through OK. I copied the key down wrong, typed 'L' instead of '7'.

About the Aero effects, I guess so, since the Windows 7 requirements page says it needs a 256 MB graphics card or something, while I'm pretty sure mine is 64MB.
Tuvitor
misterXY wrote:
Fun, same, but look through temp files and junk, like downloads, and theres alot of waste that windows thinks you'll need later, one was too install windows live messenger, that was 8 months ago? Wasteeeee and it builds up. three nights ago, cleared 3 gigs, havent started with my torrented files yet.

Nah, I keep pretty close tabs on my OS. I really don't have that much space at this time...

Though I do have an old 40 gig with a Windows 2003 install I'm not using anymore that I can probably pull out of my Ubuntu server, and stick in this machine. Aw hell, screwit, I'm gonna try it.

Edit: Nevermind. I can't find a direct download link anymore for the beta. I'm not downloading torrents, it's way too much hassle.
blk3
Is it possible to do a dual boot of XP and Windows 7 in one PC? Looking forward to using Windows 7 as they say it was better than Vista (like the look of Vista , but not its performance. So is it possible for a dual boot, as I would like to have XP just in case Windows 7 is not that good, I could shift from Windows 7 back to Xp and vice versa.
Fire Boar
Of course it is. Resize your XP partition and create a new NTFS partition for 7 using a Gnome Partition Editor live CD. Then reboot into XP. Then just install Windows 7 onto the new NTFS partition you made.
chartcentral
Finally, I have installed Windows 7 Beta (on multi-boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu), and I like what I'm experiencing so far. Though I'm still "adjusting" to it, and haven't used it much yet - I'm looking forward to test and give this new operating system a shot. Smile
aningbo
looks promising... will be looking forward for this to become real.

long way of before we can get our hands on the real-thing. heard a lot about its less usage of memory and other stuffs.

very excited

Twisted Evil
misterXY
Tuvitor wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Nah, I keep pretty close tabs on my OS. I really don't have that much space at this time...

Though I do have an old 40 gig with a Windows 2003 install I'm not using anymore that I can probably pull out of my Ubuntu server, and stick in this machine. Aw hell, screwit, I'm gonna try it.

Edit: Nevermind. I can't find a direct download link anymore for the beta. I'm not downloading torrents, it's way too much hassle.

Sounds like a 32x bit. l know we're not suppose too give out torrent links, but it's free and junk.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4712592/Windows_7_Beta_(7022-0-090115-1850)_Ultimate_32_bit_DVD_Interim

l'd sent you a copy but l'm now on a tight cap Sad
thedinh
hic, Window 7, maybe i can not use. it has a very systemrequirement. Oh. I'm using XP. and I find that it run still so good. which is better with Window 7???
is there anyone here, who eve used ???
Dean_The_Great
How easy will it be to upgrade Vista to 7? Has anyone heard how clean the install is?
misterXY
Dean_The_Great wrote:
How easy will it be to upgrade Vista to 7? Has anyone heard how clean the install is?

Beyond smooth l heard, xp and lower you'll have too go fresh again.
Fire Boar
misterXY wrote:
Dean_The_Great wrote:

Beyond smooth l heard, xp and lower you'll have too go fresh again.

Where did you get this information? Microsoft? Because know a lot of people who are complaining that the transition is very difficult, and they had to just wipe and install from scratch after a botched attempt.
LostOverThere
I'm having a bit of trouble with the Windows 7 beta. For some reason its not picking up my wired connection. I've got a Netgear DG834G router, which is relatively modern (Late 2007/Early 2008).

Any ideas?
Fire Boar
You'll probably need a driver for your network interface card.
chartcentral
So far Windows 7 is doing good. Sure, it's still buggy and the built-in games unnecessary require a video card to be enjoyed in full. But other than that, the Beta is stable enough to be usable. I'm expecting though that a lot will still be improved until the final release. Smile
snowynight
I have installed windows 7 both x64 and x86 versions on my home and office computers with an official language pack in my language.

It's smaller than previous vista. i don't know whether it is faster, but it's more beautiful in some way.
Actually you can expect running programs that run well in vista, but there are exceptions, due to safety problem though i don't think i need microsoft to take care of my computer because i use very good antivirus softwares.

It's best feature is a slide show desktop, and a bitlocker to go program, as far as i am concerned.
taytay
What happened to Windows Mojave?! lol jk.

I think windows 7 sucks already. sure maybe it boots quicker and has a few more tweaks to increase overall system speed, but that also goes along with Upgrading computer hardware. My moms pc has a 2.4 Ghz P4 with HT. It was Amazing with windows 98me. Then we re-upgraded to XP, which has done great. Given every windows OS degrades with time, thus making complete reinstalls a rejuvenating and painful to repeat process.

Would be nice if Microsofts new OS's were easier to upgrade to. Going from 98, upgrade to 2000, upgrade to XP, upgrade to Vista, ones system would be so clogged and bogged down you might as well use it for a kayak paddle.

not to make anyone gasp, but can't they make it even slightly easier? Like Mac's upgrades. osx10 to osx10.1 and so forth is so easy. everything about mac is easy! minus incompatibility with the latest and greatest hardcore games, and the endless number of awesome free aps you can find for windows to make doing and one thing easier. Mac's are expensive. But at least they work exceptionally well. Kind of like a good Corvette (VERY stretched symbolism). It looks cool, and is pure amazing straight out of the store. If it has a problem, just take it into a GM repair shop and they'll fix it good as new (usually. of course a grand handful of shops are cheap and frugal. that's why this is a stretch symbolism).

ok so i guess just scratch that. Now that I re-read it it makes no sense. lol. It's wayy to late for me. I needa hit the sack.

Yay windows for cheap unreliable business! I'd go Mac if I had the endless flow of inheritance money, but I don't! so I still build PC's, and I love it!
Diablosblizz
TayTay, sure Macs are "cool", but how about buying the new OS for .5 of a version.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC094Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MzgxMDAzMg

"Time Machine," hmm sounds like "System Restore" does it not? Who's copying who now?
Fire Boar
I think to be honest Apple are just clinging onto their OS X brand for as long as possible, even releasing what would normally be the next major OS version up.

I don't like Apple or Macs though. Too simple, not powerful enough. When I want to do things, I want to be able to do 'em quickly and effectively. Not being put off by flashy graphics. I often find myself needing to - say - recursively copy a whole directory structure, but only the .cpp and .h files. On my setup I can just do...

Win+Return (brings up yakuake, a Quake-style terminal)
cp -rv *.{cpp,h} newfolder

On Windows, that's pretty much impossible. On a Mac... well, I've no idea about the current state of Macs but on the ones I've used such a task would be impossible, and my gut instinct is that the latest version would have very little different in that regard.
ikanep
if i installed windows 7 on top of vista.... is there anyway to uninstall 7 or do i have to reformat the hard drive and install vista from scratch?
Diablosblizz
I don't believe there is a way to do that ikanep, sorry.

Fire Boar, really? Windows can't do that? I appear to be able to do it quite fine.

Code:
copy *.txt C:\newtextfiles\

That copies all the files in the folder to the new folder, simple as that. And to do that with .exe, just change the .txt to .exe, one more step :O.
goDiver
What language win 7 gone support (french, english, ect ...) some body have tested .
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't believe there is a way to do that ikanep, sorry.

Fire Boar, really? Windows can't do that? I appear to be able to do it quite fine.

Code:
copy *.txt C:\newtextfiles\

That copies all the files in the folder to the new folder, simple as that. And to do that with .exe, just change the .txt to .exe, one more step :O.

That works, but read again what I said. Recursively copy all files with either the .cpp or .h extension, preserving the directory structure. MS-DOS doesn't even have a proper replacement for cp -r for goodness sake - you have to make a batch script to do it, or use xcopy (which doesn't yield particularly good results) and perform the command twice (no {cpp,h} available in DOS). I mean come on, xcopy? It's a separate command/binary for what should essentially be the same operation!

Simply put, the Windows command line doesn't suck because it was a sloppy job, it was carefully crafted over many years to be as terrible as it is now.
JBotAlan
My friend used Windows 7 as his primary OS for awhile. I have to say, it is pretty. But I want NOTHING to do with it. Why?

Security: How the *** did Conficker get around? By writing to a file that should not have been writable by the user. Impossible (or at least, really hard) in GNU/Linux. Instead of patching the holes, Microsoft is selling Windows Defender. Does this strike anyone else as wrong?

Speed: It takes about twice as long as the Ubuntu 9.04 beta takes to boot.

Compatibility: It breaks several pieces of software that have run on every version of Windows before.

Stability: a system process livelocked on my friend's PC, eating up something like 3 GB of RAM and 100% of a CPU core's resources. What was it doing? No idea.

No thanks. I'll stick to Ubuntu. Ubuntu's requirements seem to stay about the same, and boot time is sped up, rather than slowed, by a new release...

http://www.ubuntu.com/
xavekka
misterXY wrote:
etc.

yes it seems to be right but i don't hv enough idea
chartcentral
Windows 7 is now out of Beta and tomorrow (May 5), the Release Candidate will be available for public download. Cool! Cool Too bad it says that if you're using the Beta, you'll need to do a fresh install, instead of some Windows Update of update your system to the RC. Smile
misterXY
chartcentral wrote:
Windows 7 is now out of Beta and tomorrow (May 5), the Release Candidate will be available for public download. Cool! Cool Too bad it says that if you're using the Beta, you'll need to do a fresh install, instead of some Windows Update of update your system to the RC. Smile

Yep, but just blew my last major bandwidth usage on INTERNET related stuff.. Sad
Maybe a copy will go around facebook hooking people up with cd or something?
Diablosblizz
Yes indeed too bad you can't upgrade. I've been using Windows 7 for about two months and I got everything set up the way I like it. Oh well though, not too bad of a biggie. I can't wait though, tomorrow morning at exactly 7 AM I will start my download. I am so pumped, like it was Christmas or something.
cwpent
I'm downloading Win7 RC as I write this. Before I was running Win7 off of 512mb ram and it struggled. But with a ful 2GB, it feels snappy. The design is beautiful. The only issue I've found is that it is a bit harder to customize. In XP, you could drstically change the look of your desktop with a few clicks. But in this, the menus are changed up, and it feels more like a cookie cutter OSX system. No major complaints, and I hope teh RC is equally good.

P.S- did anyone take a minute to read the first two pages of this thread? I literally lol'd at the incrdible prejudging.
shenyl
Windows 7 is totted by MS as the mixed of XP and Vista.

I get to run it and read about it, and realised it is done using Virtual machine for XP and the core of Windows 7 is upgraded Vista.

It works, and the documentation from MS shows that 90% of the XP programs will run without any problem on Windows 7. Of course the Vista stuff will run on the upgraded Vista.

The installation is sligthly trimmer than installation of Vista, but at least 3 time more than an XP installation of the same basic OS and application programs.

It will be wise to allocate at least 30GB for Windows 7/Vista, while I will only allocate 20 GB for XP.

This is my experience so far with Windows 7 - getting to look more like a Mac.

With regards.
Rajiev
Windows 7, My experience ....

Boots very fast
Runs very fast
uses lot less resources than Vista

Lots of bugs
Cnat run Virus gurads ( it crashes the OS )

Low Driver support
bennysong
I do not like windows 7 because you don,t still have your downloads. Also because you can,t use the search on computers. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
tiagoeq
Vista is worst than Seven
achowles
Rajiev wrote:

Boots very fast
Runs very fast

Lots of bugs

Low Driver support

Yeah, there are a LOT of security and driver issues with the OS. That's by far the biggest detraction for me. But one that will most likely be addressed before it is actually released. Either by MS or the software/hardware manufacturers. So in the long run it shouldn't be a problem. I kind of get the feeling that my poor Audigy card is going to be replaced though.
misterXY
cwpent wrote:
I'm downloading Win7 RC as I write this. Before I was running Win7 off of 512mb ram and it struggled. But with a ful 2GB, it feels snappy. The design is beautiful. The only issue I've found is that it is a bit harder to customize. In XP, you could drstically change the look of your desktop with a few clicks. But in this, the menus are changed up, and it feels more like a cookie cutter OSX system. No major complaints, and I hope teh RC is equally good.

P.S- did anyone take a minute to read the first two pages of this thread? I literally lol'd at the incrdible prejudging.

lol ya l just went over the thread, and wow... talk about being different then we thought, l honestly thought the beta will bomb when l was thinking about it but MS has for once, stunned me stupid.
achowles wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

Boots very fast
Runs very fast

Lots of bugs

Low Driver support

Yeah, there are a LOT of security and driver issues with the OS. That's by far the biggest detraction for me. But one that will most likely be addressed before it is actually released. Either by MS or the software/hardware manufacturers. So in the long run it shouldn't be a problem. I kind of get the feeling that my poor Audigy card is going to be replaced though.

Ya l actually think its a manufacture responsibility when l was talking to a Sr Rep blah blah blah from MS and yeah, if you're willing to make the hardware, u better know people who can do the software, l think only MS cares for it's sub companies then everyone else can bite it, this was two~three years ago though, maybe they'll jump on it cause of Mac (stupid commercials, wouldnt buy a mac, ipod, what ever, and never have) being the "lm more prettier then u" campaign will make them go snappy. Well at least you'll have a new sound card Razz there was a 70$ special for 15.2 cards the other day, who has 15 speakers and two bass's for a pc? honestly.. Rolling Eyes
achowles
misterXY wrote:

Ya l actually think its a manufacture responsibility when l was talking to a Sr Rep blah blah blah from MS and yeah, if you're willing to make the hardware, u better know people who can do the software, l think only MS cares for it's sub companies then everyone else can bite it, this was two~three years ago though, maybe they'll jump on it cause of Mac (stupid commercials, wouldnt buy a mac, ipod, what ever, and never have) being the "lm more prettier then u" campaign will make them go snappy. Well at least you'll have a new sound card Razz there was a 70$ special for 15.2 cards the other day, who has 15 speakers and two bass's for a pc? honestly.. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, that's exactly why I went with the value version of the Audigy in the first place. There's no point in me having more than that. I've got two desktop PC speakers that, while good cost me about £25. Stupid thing is, the on board sound works fine. So it's a question of plugging the speakers into that when I use Windows 7 now. So I'll either stick with that or find a cheap card that is actually supported still.
Rajiev
Well I downloaded windows 7 RC and installed.

GUI looks the same with minature changes :p Windows soudnds change with themes Smile

Now I'm gonna try Kaspersky 8 tech preview and see whether it will crash :S
brokenadvice
The features added in windows 7 are looking pretty nifty, especially the new toolbar/dock. I just hope it will be cheap for those of us who have vista. Upgrade prices for windows in the past have been outrageous; I don't think Microsoft can get away with $300 pricing in this economy. It would be amazing to have a $7 or $70 dollar upgrade (get it, windows 7 Smile )
ProfessorY91
Continuing to resurrect this thread...

As of right now Windows 7 is passing speed tests with flying colors, much like our old friend XP used to. Vista was a failure from the start. What has me exited however is Windows XP Pirated Edition... which pretty much pwns all attempts to use a legit Windows OS, if indeed this statement is true:

Quote:
It took one year, but XP is now 1/3rd the size it used to be, can fit in 256M of hard drive space, runs fast on a 100Mhz Pentium or 586 chip, and only needs 50M of RAM to run. It runs ten times faster now.
Taken from http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_XP_Pirate_Edition

I have yet to try it, but its a good solid reason to stay with XP for me.

[/quote]
airh3ad
Hey coming in october now i think the most awaited i dnt know if its true ! Windows 7, which will replace the much-complained-about Windows Vista, will be available then on new PCs. Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, will also sell versions that people can install on existing PCs. However, Microsoft did not say whether the upgrade program will begin in time for back-to-school shopping, another crucial period for the PC industry to this world.
sheedatali
airh3ad wrote:
Hey coming in october now i think the most awaited i dnt know if its true ! Windows 7, which will replace the much-complained-about Windows Vista, will be available then on new PCs. Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, will also sell versions that people can install on existing PCs. However, Microsoft did not say whether the upgrade program will begin in time for back-to-school shopping, another crucial period for the PC industry to this world.

Absolutely not! I just do not see the value for money in that OS. I would stick to my current Vista for Gaming and Linux for desktop.
Peterssidan
I will not spend any money on it. I will stick with GNU/Linux, which I like more than any of the Windows OS:s.
anakin_skyrunner
Yes.

As simple as that, but I don't know if I'm going to buy it in October already, perhaps I'll wait 'till Christmas but definitely not any longer.
soljarag
nope.. I don't buy any windows OS by it self.... If i buy a new computer, then yes, I will get Windows 7
Maserman
Well, yesterday I just said "bye bye" to my old Windows XP (some partition issues and I had to reinstall) andinstalled Vista. After trying it out for 2 hours... I just gone mad. Those messages like "Do you really want to confirm the confirmation you already confirmed a second ago?" are just pissing... Then I just registered on the microsoft website and downloaded Win 7 RC 32-bit, burned it on DVD and installed. Honestly I can say it was a good choice, i think i won't regret that. At the moment im posting from that OS (keep in mind it's still RC) and it's working well. It's similar to Vista, but I don't feel it's a vista when looking on perfomance. Win 7 is loading faster than Vista (for me at leeast), it looks better than Vista and the new taskbar is really nice.

And the main advantage is... every driver compatible with Vista is compatible with 7 aswell Smile
Just for you to know: RC licence expires on june 1st 2010, from 1 march 2010 system will shut down every 2 hours, but till that time Windows 7 will be in shops.
misterXY
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Continuing to resurrect this thread...

As of right now Windows 7 is passing speed tests with flying colors, much like our old friend XP used to. Vista was a failure from the start. What has me exited however is Windows XP Pirated Edition... which pretty much pwns all attempts to use a legit Windows OS, if indeed this statement is true:

Quote:
It took one year, but XP is now 1/3rd the size it used to be, can fit in 256M of hard drive space, runs fast on a 100Mhz Pentium or 586 chip, and only needs 50M of RAM to run. It runs ten times faster now.
Taken from http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_XP_Pirate_Edition

I have yet to try it, but its a good solid reason to stay with XP for me.

[/quote]

And this is why l love downloading! l mean renting. l'm running vista ultimate 64x, after the legit home premium went to hell and took me all day to fix thank god for kubuntu saving my ass. Anyways, why do people keep caring bout the looks?! It's annoying, it's about the speed, langauge, support, etc... Vista 64x can support 128gb of ram!
Asis
brokenadvice wrote:
The features added in windows 7 are looking pretty nifty, especially the new toolbar/dock. I just hope it will be cheap for those of us who have vista. Upgrade prices for windows in the past have been outrageous; I don't think Microsoft can get away with $300 pricing in this economy. It would be amazing to have a $7 or $70 dollar upgrade (get it, windows 7 Smile )

I've heard everyone who bought Vista legally, will have a right to upgrade their system to the seven's distributions. I mean if you got Vista Home Premium, you will be able to upgrade to Seven Home Premium for free. But I still don't know if it is confirmed by Microsoft. Anyways, Windows 7 RC is out for a bit time, you can get it for free, use it till March 2010 with no troubles (then your OS will shut down every 2 hours), having all updates available legally.
I think Microsoft made a great way to make Seven more friendly, by allowing it to test for everyone. After trying the Seven out (i'm using it at the moment) I am 98% sure I will bought it, when my RC licence runs out.

The only trouble I have is to make my graphic drivers and whole OS working with my TV plugged via s-video. Everytime I restart windows I have to set the size and the position of the displayed screen. It's pretty annoying.
Another thing I can't get rid of is the icons on my desktop. I cannot place them wherever I want, after every reboot they are just sorted on the left of the screen. I really dont know if it's a but or just the wrong configuration.

Well, comparing Windows 7 to XP, i can see the difference, mainly in performace. Same as Vista, the Seven requires a bit stronger PC. I play games a lot, and I can see the difference in FPS. I had to have 10+ more FPS during the fight in World of Warcraft on my old XP. But comparing 7 to Vista, I can feel the difference. On Vista i had even 20+ less FPS.

Keep in mind the Seven is still RC, and it's not perfect at least untill first sevice pack. But at the moment, this system is ok for me Smile
If you need performance rather than the look of your OS, pick XP. If you don't care about performace (or you got good PC) and you like flasking icons, interactive screen with all this "floating stuff", pick 7.

Cheers Smile
amperx
an rc for windows 7 is out, for beta testing, i just hope its not that resource hog as vista Sad, and when i tried it its just a new skin out of vista, im still checkin out its new features
weableandbob
I would if xp stopped working for some reason, but it's still good to me, so I'm just going to stick with it for now.
gilwe
Still no practical use for me over XP. It seems that my next upgrade will happen only when I must do so to be able to use my computer hardware better.
MeddlingMonk
I've been testing the Windows 7 Release Candidate (dual-booted with XP at the moment) and so far I haven't had any major problems (just a few programs that won't run on Windows 7). Given the improvements between Vista and Windows 7, I am considering purchasing Windows 7 when Service Pack 1 comes out.

Quote:
And the main advantage is... every driver compatible with Vista is compatible with 7 as well.

Well... not quite. Most are. There are a few, like the driver for my Creative Soundblaster Audigy Value, that are not compatible (installing either the Vista or XP driver caused my machine to bluescreen). In those cases, one must hope that there is a Windows 7 driver (or a beta version) available (which fortunately was, in my case).
lethaltriad
I won't purchase this when it comes out. Right now XP does everything I need it to do and its compatible with all my programs/filters and the o/s speed balances itself well. I skipped Vista all together as I heard many complaints about incompatibility with my plugins. I'm sure they fixed it in the sp releases but really didnt wanna take the jump into a new os which would possibly make my pc feel slower. Eventually though I see myself trying out Windows 7, mainly after my friend uses it and gives me feedback on its overall performance.
Agent ME
I don't see myself purchasing Windows 7 or any other operating system by itself, ever. If for some reason I decide I need to change the OS on a system, I'm probably going to put on some flavor of Linux (already running Ubuntu on my laptop).

However, I can imagine that in the future I may buy a computer with Windows 7 pre-installed on it, and I may be happy with that.
Crazy_Canuck
I am going to get it as soon as it comes out. I have heard all good things about it and can't wait to get rid of VISTA!!!
anakin_skyrunner
Asis wrote:
I've heard everyone who bought Vista legally, will have a right to upgrade their system to the seven's distributions. I mean if you got Vista Home Premium, you will be able to upgrade to Seven Home Premium for free. But I still don't know if it is confirmed by Microsoft. [...]

Nono, you misunderstood that. They're not offering free upgrades to everyone, it would be great of course, but stupid^^ They're offering free resp. low priced upgrades to customers of certain brands, e.g. HP, Dell (I think they take part), when customers buy Vista PCs with that upgrade certificate in a certain period. So if you buy a new Dell PC after the 26th I think that is certificated for upgrading to Win7, you may upgrade with no/low costs.
Though I don't know if it's official by now.
Jean-Clod
Exactly, it's just great, I have tested it since the pre-beta version, and it's just perfect, just what we could makes an Operating system become the leader (we'll see Razz )

I'm going to buy it just at the official release, it's worth changing the OS and having to pay for it!
Asap170
Well I would totally like it, but I am going to be buying the Microsoft ZuneHD so I don't think I will and then my dad probrally would say no to Windows7 for me. Also, the sources I have I think that Windows 7 will be coming out October 22, 2009. If I remember correctly.
bigt
airh3ad wrote:

I would like to say NO, but the world runs Winderz today. We haven't really switched to Vista here at the office yet, so we'll have to upgrade to 7. Of course we'll take our time and maybe it will be pretty secure or the first service pack will come quickly. I have downloaded the RC but haven't installed it on anything yet.
snowboardalliance
I'm gonna agree with most people, I'll get it with a new system whenever that happens. My laptop is only a year old and I think I can live with it at least for a couple more years. Although Windows 7 sounds like an improved Vista, I find Vista is fine for a modern laptop. I mean sure, I'd love to switch to Linux, just as soon as it has software support I need. I can't just give up on Adobe Production Premium CS4 (and Wine won't help there).
leontius
I only use Windows for gaming and windows-specific applications (which I seldom use anyway), so I think switching OS will be more of a hassle than a benefit. Unless it proves to be faster for games... (hell, my dual core laptop with Vista has the same FPS as another centrino XP laptop when playing a game...)
joostvane
They have some deal if you buy Vista now, you can upgrade to windows 7. Also, there is a list of countries who can buy windows 7 for only 50 dollars when it comes out.

Too bad Belgium is not one of them. United States is ofcourse, so if your American check out the offer, cause its limited!
Jaan
It looks like the best thing since people started slicing pizza!
I'm really pumped about windows 7... especially the music accompaniment thing like garageband, the sound recorder under the entertainment folder, and new and improved notepad for taking down my ideas!
misterXY
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
Asis wrote:
I've heard everyone who bought Vista legally, will have a right to upgrade their system to the seven's distributions. I mean if you got Vista Home Premium, you will be able to upgrade to Seven Home Premium for free. But I still don't know if it is confirmed by Microsoft. [...]

Nono, you misunderstood that. They're not offering free upgrades to everyone, it would be great of course, but stupid^^ They're offering free resp. low priced upgrades to customers of certain brands, e.g. HP, Dell (I think they take part), when customers buy Vista PCs with that upgrade certificate in a certain period. So if you buy a new Dell PC after the 26th I think that is certificated for upgrading to Win7, you may upgrade with no/low costs.
Though I don't know if it's official by now.

l've heard both, but after my legit Vista Home Prem went to the shitter during the update, grabbed a pirated copy of Vista Ultimate 64x, and still, l said ****** it. l'm now a proud Linux user and have less troubles and actually having alot of free time.
For those curios, Kubuntu 9.04. Give it a try, dual boots. Greatest thing l've done, learned alot too.
sourojit
Hi,
Windows 7 beta releases have been awsome.There are many features in windows 7 that makes it what vista should have been.The main thing that we need from an operating system is speed and stability at the cost of minimum resource.
i have used all versions of windows till date ,but windows 7 is the most stable operating system.With windows7 you will probably forget the word "system hang".
And windows7 price lists are out .One should try it out....
Spiritfall
sourojit wrote:

i have used all versions of windows till date ,but windows 7 is the most stable operating system.With windows7 you will probably forget the word "system hang".

Well, Windows 7 is great, but there are many programs incompatible with it and you can get many errors and many blue screens, unless you are an experienced user and you can handle all of those errors. I don't recommend Windows 7 yet for usual people that use the PC only for editing documents, listening music and chatting etc.
Nolt
I use W7 only on virtual machines, never will as primary OS for normal use till it will be stable and official released.
no0b
hear that RTM for windows 7 released?
misterXY
no0b wrote:

l believe its already out.
shenyl
I have installed Win 7 on a Intel N270 netbook, and it works very well.

Performed just as well as the XP (in a separate partition).

I have also multi-boot Win 7 on my regular notebook, and I am now loading all my programs found in my XP partition on to it. So far so good, and performing well.

Overall I am happy with Win 7, except when the RTM version is out, I do not know what will be the pricing?

With regards.
Fake
jeremyp wrote:
misterXY wrote:
etc.

how wrong u were sir...i cnat wait to install it on my system and test it!
ryaze
I attended Microsoft Windows7 Loadfest here in Philippines.

I got there, my WINDOWS 7 RC ULTIMATE.

I tried it on my desktop. Formerly Windows XP SP3, 1gig ram, 1gig Vcard. W7 runs awesomely.

And guess what, I see it to be the next XP in the near future.
BTW, W7 will be released this June 2010. Hope everyone might get a copy!

anakin_skyrunner
misterXY wrote:
no0b wrote:

Yeah it's been leaked, I think it's build 7600 16385. First reviews say it's really good...
Softpedia - Screenshot gallery
misterXY
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
misterXY wrote:
no0b wrote:

Yeah it's been leaked, I think it's build 7600 16385. First reviews say it's really good...
Softpedia - Screenshot gallery

Ahh beautiful, now too find a copy not using RIP TPB.......
aningbo
we get free windows product in my college. there's no point of buying it.

besides, m just a student. cant afford a windows product for personal use. downloading a retail version might help but when m getting a legal product for free, i wont bother much. will have to wait and see how windows 7 is like.
deanhills
Jaan wrote:
It looks like the best thing since people started slicing pizza!
I'm really pumped about windows 7... especially the music accompaniment thing like garageband, the sound recorder under the entertainment folder, and new and improved notepad for taking down my ideas!
I thought the sound recorder was always there? I'm still with Windows XP, can remember I had it with Windows98 as well.
sourojit
am using the RC and i think i will buy one in December.
tchaunt
I don't plan on buying Windows 7. I've finally managed to accept the fact that my computer doesn't trust my decisions, so Vista has became slightly likable. Of course, being asked to confirm copying a file is a pain in the butt when you're working on a website or program. e.e
dipesh
Windows 7 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. In many ways Windows 7 is What vista should have been.Its faster sleeker and less of power hungry beast.
billgertz
i will not buy the OS, its a waste buying it.. ill just remove it from my system after June 2010 since im using the RC 1.

anyway, ill stick to Ubuntu and ill just install windowx xp inside the virtual box so i can still work with ms office files on my linux.
foreverdestiny
Hell yea I'm getting it, Vista was a fail.
amperx
no am not getting it as long as xp still can run most apps that i need, practically
anakin_skyrunner
Just a short info for all Europeans around here:

arstechnica.com

Windows 7 Family Pack is coming to 8 European countries.

For all those of you who don't know what the Family Pack is I may cite the windowsteamblog:

windowsteamblog.com wrote:
Today, most homes have more than one PC in them. When you run Windows 7 on more than one PC on a home network, you can do more with features like HomeGroup. HomeGroup allows people to connect to PCs on their network and share files, music and photos with the whole family – easily. The Windows 7 Family Pack is an easy and affordable way to get all your PCs in your household running Windows 7 through licensing to install Windows 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs.
aningbo
everyone is still stuck on windows xp.

m moving out to new horizons with mac snow leopard next week. wish me luck
CyberDwak
well i have Windows 7 installed on my computer and i LOVE it! It Is WAY faster then windows vista. VISTA IS THE DEVIL Evil or Very Mad

I would recement it to all of you guys
awazdohamko2004
Well i heard from some un knows source that HP and dell are giving free up gradation to windows 7 for their registered visa users .. is it true ...
Fire Boar
awazdohamko2004 wrote:
Well i heard from some un knows source that HP and dell are giving free up gradation to windows 7 for their registered visa users .. is it true ...

Most companies are - it's a thing Microsoft are behind, and only because they've finally conceded (not publicly of course) that Vista is a terrible pile of [censored].
ortphysics
When Microsoft had the Windows 7 RC1 for download on their website, I immediately downloaded it. It is a much more stable and lighter version of Windows, in comparison to Windows Vista. It runs smoothly on my Pentium 4 PC which is quite old (about 5 years old, to be exact), so I'm definitely going to buy it.
LimpFish
I'm gonna buy a new computer soon, and I'm stoked to be getting Windows 7 for free from Microsoft, since I get it through my university Very Happy
gohgoh
Asis wrote:
brokenadvice wrote:

I've heard everyone who bought Vista legally, will have a right to upgrade their system to the seven's distributions. I mean if you got Vista Home Premium, you will be able to upgrade to Seven Home Premium for free. But I still don't know if it is confirmed by Microsoft. Anyways, Windows 7 RC is out for a bit time, you can get it for free, use it till March 2010 with no troubles (then your OS will shut down every 2 hours), having all updates available legally.
I think Microsoft made a great way to make Seven more friendly, by allowing it to test for everyone. After trying the Seven out (i'm using it at the moment) I am 98% sure I will bought it, when my RC licence runs out.

The only trouble I have is to make my graphic drivers and whole OS working with my TV plugged via s-video. Everytime I restart windows I have to set the size and the position of the displayed screen. It's pretty annoying.
Another thing I can't get rid of is the icons on my desktop. I cannot place them wherever I want, after every reboot they are just sorted on the left of the screen. I really dont know if it's a but or just the wrong configuration.

Well, comparing Windows 7 to XP, i can see the difference, mainly in performace. Same as Vista, the Seven requires a bit stronger PC. I play games a lot, and I can see the difference in FPS. I had to have 10+ more FPS during the fight in World of Warcraft on my old XP. But comparing 7 to Vista, I can feel the difference. On Vista i had even 20+ less FPS.

Keep in mind the Seven is still RC, and it's not perfect at least untill first sevice pack. But at the moment, this system is ok for me Smile
If you need performance rather than the look of your OS, pick XP. If you don't care about performace (or you got good PC) and you like flasking icons, interactive screen with all this "floating stuff", pick 7.

Cheers Smile

yeah ,vista is a joke and i think we should be allowed to upgraded for free and windows 7 has been really good, ive been using it for afew months
carlospro7
Maybe, I don't know yet. I can pre-order with my student credentials for $30 I think
marlinblack
o win 7 é superior a todos!! já era tempo da microsoft se esmerar
soljarag
yeah.. i think im going to buy it... but the edu version.. for $30

i doubt i would pay the full price.

I currently have XP 64 bit...and I have an ATI remote wonder that doesnt have drivert for xp 64bit... but they do for win vista and win 7... so I need to updatw
Zaini711
After using Windows 7 for nearly a year (from Beta to RC), I can say that Microsoft does a pretty good job coming with a new operating system to quickly replace the troublesome and much hated vista. Even though the look does not differ much from vista but windows 7 does look more cleaner and well organise.

Under the hood, Windows 7 does make tremendous improvement over hated feature of vista. But I'm a bit concern on report of vulnerability in Windows 7 due to more relax control in UAC. Hopefully, the retail version will address this concern.

Hardware compatibility also look very promising. Windows 7 automatically recognize and configure all current printers in the market. Mobile broadband and Wi-max also work like a charm.

The question now is...... ca I afford it........
Zaini711
I might buy it if the price is right

After using Windows 7 for nearly a year (from Beta to RC), I can say that Microsoft does a pretty good job coming with a new operating system to quickly replace the troublesome and much hated vista. Even though the look does not differ much from vista but windows 7 does look more cleaner and well organise.

Under the hood, Windows 7 does make tremendous improvement over hated feature of vista. But I'm a bit concern on report of vulnerability in Windows 7 due to more relax control in UAC. Hopefully, the retail version will address this concern.

Hardware compatibility also look very promising. Windows 7 automatically recognize and configure all current printers in the market. Mobile broadband and Wi-max also work like a charm.

The question now is...... can I afford it........
airh3ad
i have windows 7 its exciting a lot of improved taskbar previews, bigger icons, pinning, and creative ways to personalize.Takes the headache out of home networking, so it's easier to share files and printers.Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents but I also found several problems with it, including hard disks that appear to vanish and turn into phantoms. how about you guys did you try the windows 7?
biljap
I’ll buy it but not so soon… I am one of (rare? Wink ) satisfied users of Vista.
menino
I think after windows 7, the next version of windows should appropriately be called
"REVOLVING DOORS 2010" Laughing
qtwaiter
Yes, I will buy it for my homepc.
anakin_skyrunner
My copy of Windows 7 Home Premium arrived today, I'm going to install it right away Smile
bloodrider
I'm running on Windows Seven for a month and until now I'm satisfied.
I've seen some people worrying about multithread, but I haven't noticed nothing...
Diablosblizz
Have been running Windows 7 since the beta (7000) and still using it as of today! I won't be buying it right away, waiting until the RC expires.
Ankhanu
airh3ad wrote:
i have windows 7 its exciting a lot of improved taskbar previews, bigger icons, pinning, and creative ways to personalize.Takes the headache out of home networking, so it's easier to share files and printers.Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents but I also found several problems with it, including hard disks that appear to vanish and turn into phantoms. how about you guys did you try the windows 7?

This is kind of what I was dealing with on a friend's system with Win 7 installed... except instead of vanishing disks, it was rather large files. Still no real idea where the files went, but they were certainly still taking up HDD space. Was pretty weird, it's like they were part of a witness protection plan or something Razz
Hogwarts
soljarag wrote:
yeah.. i think im going to buy it... but the edu version.. for $30

i doubt i would pay the full price.

Doesn't that make their marketing all the cleverer? Wink
HalfBloodPrince
I've been using it for about 8-9 months now, since build 7000 (the beta). The final build was compiled in July and I've been using it ever since -- the one on the retail discs. I'm glad they replaced the fish wallpaper Razz
Mihkel
With new look and style it is perfect for me. Reliable and more speed than Vista. I'll say Bill succeeded this time or what ? Using it since vers 7000.
bloodrider
Mihkel wrote:
With new look and style it is perfect for me. Reliable and more speed than Vista. I'll say Bill succeeded this time or what ? Using it since vers 7000.

Bill?
He has retired Razz
Diablosblizz
As today was the official release for Windows 7, did anybody buy the new OS?
shenyl
I bought a new Acer NB recently and was promised the option to upgrade to Windows 7.

Still awaiting for some news on the promise.

I have been using the beta for 3 months - most of my XP programs that don't run on Vista, I am able to install on Windows 7.

The nagging pop-up is much lesser in Windows 7 than in Vista.

Have not tested if I can still develop web applications on the new IIS server.

With regards.
anakin_skyrunner
Diablosblizz wrote:
As today was the official release for Windows 7, did anybody buy the new OS?

Err, yes, I bought it^^ Amazon just delivered it two days earlier. Which gives me another reason for loooooving Amazon Razz
HalfBloodPrince
I haven't bought it (as I'm using the RTM build anyway by..err..other means) but I might get it as a token of appreciation to MS. Wow, a year ago I'd have never imagined giving MS a "token of appreciation."

Anyone else think that MS has been purposely leaking the builds for the last year (there have been at least 20) as a means of free testing?
babarus
From the point of view of the producer this windows may be the best becaus of the long time of testes and work.....
I think that is true even if don't tested this new windows.(I ccan get windows 7 from my school acount, but since now i did't do that )
rockacola
Had Windows 7 for less than a week... really don't have any comment at all.. IMO it's just a Vista upgrade (and the version is not even 7.x!! it's 6.5!!)

I remain loyal to my Windows XP in my virtual machine. Rolling Eyes

ps/ Virtual PC sucked, VMWare rules as always.
anakin_skyrunner
rockacola wrote:
Had Windows 7 for less than a week... really don't have any comment at all.. IMO it's just a Vista upgrade (and the version is not even 7.x!! it's 6.5!!)

two big nays

Arrow version number is 6.1 Razz
Arrow VMWare clinked itself so deep into my system I couldn't get rid of it
rockacola
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
rockacola wrote:

two big nays

Arrow version number is 6.1 Razz
Arrow VMWare clinked itself so deep into my system I couldn't get rid of it

Arrow Thanks for correcting me :p
Arrow Not sure what you meant. As in you don't get a clean uninstall? but which application does a clean uninstall xD
distantship
biljap wrote:
I’ll buy it but not so soon… I am one of (rare? Wink ) satisfied users of Vista.

That is TOTALLY rare! I've never heard anyone talk anything good about Vista to be honest. I bought a vista laptop and never touched it after the first few days....so, i'm so interested to know..what do you really like about Vista, even bill gates himself is pretty disappointed with Vista i would say.
Jean-Clod
For all of those saying 7 is just Vista's upgrade, I think 7 is just made to be good enough to make those who just stay with XP upgrade to 7; it's just pushing the efforts made for Vista a bit further, and the result is definitely "great" (..Ok, let's say "good")
Diablosblizz
Could anybody with the full Windows 7 (bought from store) tell me what the ver number it is? As well as the build version? Mines 6.1 and 7600 on the RTM. (Run -> winver)
Fire Boar
distantship wrote:
biljap wrote:

That is TOTALLY rare! I've never heard anyone talk anything good about Vista to be honest. I bought a vista laptop and never touched it after the first few days....so, i'm so interested to know..what do you really like about Vista, even bill gates himself is pretty disappointed with Vista i would say.

By "never touched it" do you mean "never touched the laptop"? Because... if so, you should seriously do something to remedy that - your laptop is not "a vista laptop", it's simply a laptop that's unfortunate enough to come with Windows Vista pre-installed. So, the situation can be easily remedied by installing something else over the top of it.
HalfBloodPrince
distantship wrote:
biljap wrote:

To be honest, I didn't have much of a problem with Vista either. It was as slow as a dead slug, yes, but I bought my Vista laptop after solely using my Windows XP desktop -- which was a 3 year old installation. A three year old Windows installation, used daily. Imagine that. So compared to that, a fresh Vista install (with a bunch of HP crapware) on a laptop with eight times as much RAM as my old desktop (512 MB, 4 GB respective) ended up with Vista functioning a lot better than the bloated shitty XP install did. What really pissed me off, though, was when Vista would randomly turn my laptop on in the middle of the night to apply updates. That really ended up in a burning hot laptop if it was shut inside a leather bag. Needless to say, when I installed the Windows 7 beta, that's when I realized that Vista was crap (and subsequently installed Windows 7 on the old desktop too) Very Happy

Do I hate Vista? Not really; would I use it again? Not after using Windows 7.

Was Aero 90% of the reason I liked Vista? Indeed it was.
krkdo
i use win 7 and i don't have any problem at all
misterXY
Zaini711 wrote:
I might buy it if the price is right

The question now is...... can I afford it........

We'll l'm a Windows 7 expert (Work for Microsoft now).
l know this works for Vista, but W7 not sure, and you didn't pre-order it for no more then 70 bucks.
Kinda too late now, but pirate it, then call 1-800-RULEGIT its the WGA department but they call too me for a product key, and the key is cheaper then buying the OS + key. Give it a try and let me know. But you need a credit card + product already installed (TPB will have a ton of os's). Just thought l'll let anyone know it can be cheaper Smile

l'd tell more about the under the hood, etc.. but confidentiality agreement isn't worth break ($250,000 fee)
nigam
Windows 7 is much better compare to vista. I've been doing some extra work now to get that money so I can buy new computer that can run WindowsSEVEN. But still a lot of people can install it without buying the OS.
LimpFish
what version should I get using a Core i5 and 4GB RAM? x64 or x86?
LimpFish
I did get the x64 version, seems like a good decision since I so far had no problems at all using any of my old x86 software. Only on one occasion did software not want to start, but I just had to tick a box with "compatibility mode for Win XP" and it started just fine after that!
anakin_skyrunner
LimpFish wrote:

As long as a CPU is capable of 64bit processing I'd recommend it to everyone...
misterXY
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

As long as a CPU is capable of 64bit processing I'd recommend it to everyone...

Hmm well depends still, if the pc is maxed for 4 GB.. 32x is still fine, hell it runs faster then my 64x, 4GB quad core......... so?
soljarag
i got win7 pro for $30 because I used my school ID Smile

I'm waiting for my new harddrive to come to install it.... I bought a Raptor 10,000 RPM harddrive, so hopfully that speeds things up!

I got the 64 bit version because I have 16 GB of ram .... I do alot of 3dgraphics so thats why i need so much RAM
LimpFish
soljarag wrote:
i got win7 pro for $30 because I used my school ID Smile

I'm waiting for my new harddrive to come to install it.... I bought a Raptor 10,000 RPM harddrive, so hopfully that speeds things up!

I got the 64 bit version because I have 16 GB of ram .... I do alot of 3dgraphics so thats why i need so much RAM

I got win7 for free because I used my school ID Very Happy
nivinjoy
In windows 7 Ultimate (of which i am using an evaluation version) there is an option for the user to change the color schemes and change the appearance of the screen..!!

But i couldn't find this option in my friend's laptop with Windows 7 Home Basic..!! Is this option not provided in Home Basic and Home Premium versions..??
Spiritfall
I got Windows 7 Ultimate Professional for Free. My university has a partnership with Microsoft through MSNDAA program and every student can download free software from Microsoft. It`s really cool and the license is for life. The annoing thing is that it has OEM license, so if I want to change my PC .. or to buy a laptop .. I have to speak with the administrator to generate another license.. if I'm still a student.
jdelfire
Speed wise and stability wise...
Windows 7 is better than Vista...
The only problem here are
1. Incompatible Programs
2. unsupported devices
3. unsigned drivers but sometimes there is a work around for this
nigam
Does all the games works with Windows 7? as you know a lot of people stick to the previous OS's because of the game related issues.
LimpFish
nigam wrote:
Does all the games works with Windows 7? as you know a lot of people stick to the previous OS's because of the game related issues.

All games I've tried so far have worked, so it doesn't seem like a big issue. There is a function to emulate older OSs built into Windows 7, you can run games in "Windows XP SP3"-mode or "Windows Vista SP1"-mode etc etc.

Has worked really well for me at least...
guggs
It's really strange - I haven't heard any (genuine) bad things about Windows 7 yet. I can't believe that Microsoft have actually got something right first time !!!

Mind you, neither have I heard any good reasons why I should upgrade to Windows 7 from XP Pro SP3 which I'm quite happy with - I never bothered with Vista. Would upgrading give me anything new & USEFUL ?
Fire Boar
guggs wrote:
It's really strange - I haven't heard any (genuine) bad things about Windows 7 yet. I can't believe that Microsoft have actually got something right first time !!!

Mind you, neither have I heard any good reasons why I should upgrade to Windows 7 from XP Pro SP3 which I'm quite happy with - I never bothered with Vista. Would upgrading give me anything new & USEFUL ?

Uh... eye candy, perhaps, if that's your idea of useful. Also Microsoft are going to stop supporting XP in a few years (I think it was sometime 2014, extended due to the travesty that was Vista). But currently there's no pressing reason to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7: all software coming out now is still compatible with Windows XP and most likely will be for quite some time, and XP is a little lighter on the system resources than Windows 7.

On the other hand, Windows 7 does have support for Physical Address Extension, which allows the use of more than 4 GB of RAM (including Video RAM). So if you have more than 3 GB in your computer and want to use the full works, a fresh install of the newer of the two viable Windows operating systems might not be a bad idea. But otherwise, I'd recommend sticking with XP.
anasash
donno about the mentioned version, but microsoft's plan is to release Windows 8 in 2012 as 7 in 09.
let's wait and watch what new features are microsoft gonna pack with it................
richiweb
has it realyy got a better security than vista?
LimpFish
I really like Windows 7, it is awesome.
guissmo
Most games work with Windows 7. Faster even, since it uses less RAM.
Jean-Clod
richiweb wrote:
has it realyy got a better security than vista?

We don't really know.. At least, that's what being said here and there
guggs
Thanks Fire Boar - a sensible and well-informed reply ! Slightly more useful than "I really like Windows 7, it is awesome."

I use my PC mainly for business so not really into eye candy, more interested in performance and functionality. Giving some thought to replacing my 6-year old Dell in March (company end-of-year !) and that presumably will have 7 pre-installed so until then I'll stick with XP Pro.

Fire Boar wrote:
guggs wrote:

Uh... eye candy, perhaps, if that's your idea of useful. Also Microsoft are going to stop supporting XP in a few years (I think it was sometime 2014, extended due to the travesty that was Vista). But currently there's no pressing reason to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7: all software coming out now is still compatible with Windows XP and most likely will be for quite some time, and XP is a little lighter on the system resources than Windows 7.

On the other hand, Windows 7 does have support for Physical Address Extension, which allows the use of more than 4 GB of RAM (including Video RAM). So if you have more than 3 GB in your computer and want to use the full works, a fresh install of the newer of the two viable Windows operating systems might not be a bad idea. But otherwise, I'd recommend sticking with XP.
nigam
Well I believe, If you have a candy in front of your eyes... You would always want to give some bite. For me it's the same thing when you use an OS. You like to use it when when it is easier and and fit's your profiles.
nam_siddharth
Windows 7 is great OS. It is faster than Windows Vista. Windows Vista was a failure.
Diablosblizz
nam_siddharth wrote:
Windows 7 is great OS. It is faster than Windows Vista. Windows Vista was a failure.

I wouldn't say Vista was a failure, because without Vista then Windows 7 wouldn't have been as awesome as it is. Microsoft realized that Vista was a MAJOR difference between XP and people weren't liking it. Honestly, think about all the technology that was put into Vista. They had too many ideas and lack of time that they had to cut back some of their ideas because it would have taken too long. I don't believe that Vista was an absolute failure, but it did lack in some areas. Vista is a good OS (tech wise, although system resources was a complete problem).

I do prefer 7 over Vista due to the system resources. I've seen my system run at 600 MB of ram which is unbelievable for Vista. I've never really liked XP, it's lacked looks and security (compared to Windows 7) so that's ruled out.

Please don't start a flame war.
nam_siddharth
Diablosblizz wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:

I wouldn't say Vista was a failure, because without Vista then Windows 7 wouldn't have been as awesome as it is. Microsoft realized that Vista was a MAJOR difference between XP and people weren't liking it. Honestly, think about all the technology that was put into Vista. They had too many ideas and lack of time that they had to cut back some of their ideas because it would have taken too long. I don't believe that Vista was an absolute failure, but it did lack in some areas. Vista is a good OS (tech wise, although system resources was a complete problem).

Yes, you are right. Windows 7 wouldn't have been that nice without Windows Vista. Any first new generation OS was bound to fail. It was the same case with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Quote:
I do prefer 7 over Vista due to the system resources. I've seen my system run at 600 MB of ram which is unbelievable for Vista.

Windows Vista had a serious problem in multitasking. Multitasking will make your system slow like hell in Windows Vista, even if you have 4 GB of RAM and Core 2 Duo Processor.

Quote:
I've never really liked XP, it's lacked looks and security (compared to Windows 7) so that's ruled out.

Windows XP 32 bit had security problems. Windows XP x64 had good security(not as good as Windows 7 though), it only lacked looks. Looks of Windows Vista was irritating. Windows 7 is far better than Vista in looks. Windows 7 is as user friendly as Windows XP was, but Windows Vista lacked it.
anakin_skyrunner
nam_siddharth wrote:
Quote:
I do prefer 7 over Vista due to the system resources. I've seen my system run at 600 MB of ram which is unbelievable for Vista.

Windows Vista had a serious problem in multitasking. Multitasking will make your system slow like hell in Windows Vista, even if you have 4 GB of RAM and Core 2 Duo Processor.

Running vista on a single core machine is really exhausting as soon as you have to run more than 3 programs simultaneously... With Windows 7 it's much better, I wasn't sure whether I could use Vista on my old PC, but 7 is running just fine! As long as you don't try to browse the Net, listen to music and edit photos at the same time Razz
amperx
I for one am using win7 ultimate pro atm, and i must say, I installed a trial copy at my old desktop, and it runs well even on low end specs, 1g ram built in video, just like how my xp sp3 used to run, and may i note that despite its heavy interface it still runs as smooth with that mentioned specs Very Happy
guggs
I'm now evaluating Windows 7 Ultimate on an old 2.0GHz Pentium with 512Mb of RAM and it's fine. I've put Office 2007 on there too and I can run fairly chunky Access apps without any great performance hit.

I get the impression that 7's default is to have all the bits that slowed Vista down switched off, although they're still available if you want your machine to grind to a halt again !

Re. the 4Gb memory advantage, I believe that applies only if you're using the 64-bit version of 7 AND if you're using software written to take advantage of 64-bit processing, which at the moment is very rare.
LimpFish
I love that I get Windows 7 for free from Microsoft through my university! Very Happy
thnn
nivinjoy wrote:
In windows 7 Ultimate (of which i am using an evaluation version) there is an option for the user to change the color schemes and change the appearance of the screen..!!

But i couldn't find this option in my friend's laptop with Windows 7 Home Basic..!! Is this option not provided in Home Basic and Home Premium versions..??

I know in Windows 7 Starter that Windows Aero is not included, and the wallpaper and Visual style can not be changed by the user. I believe that in Windows 7 Home Basic, the wallpaper is changeable and there is partial Aero support.

Windows Home Premium should contain these options that are in Ultimate. My copy of Professional does at least.
LimpFish
My Win 7 Professional edition supports all those things at least. Loving it! I also love how it updates and gets new drivers for you automatically, superb! Very Happy
misterXY
Meh, now lm sick with Microsoft, went the linux way and l won't go back anymore.
Rajiev
Hey, Did you guys know that we can get the good old "Quick Launch" and "show desktop" on the windows 7 taskbar?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

This is really nice and helpful.

If not everyone, at least 99% of the Windows 7users are so pissed off for not having the "show desktop" button on the left side of the task bar.

Now its all good for me
Fire Boar
Isn't that on the right side of the task bar? That clear bit.
Rajiev
Fire Boar wrote:
Isn't that on the right side of the task bar? That clear bit.

Yes my dear Fire Boar, it is on the right side and it is the clear little bar to the right bottom corner.

But that is the problem m8. We are used to a "Show desktop" icon that is on the quick launch segment right next to the windows "Start" button on the bottom left side of the screen.

So you have to spend some considerable amount of time, some "SH*T" and "Errrr" like swearing to get used to the new Show desktop icon location Razz
Fire Boar
Ah. The whole "resistance to change" thing again, rather than "this feature is missing".
Diablosblizz
Or you can learn that it's on the opposite side of the taskbar. :O It's not that hard people... I must be that 1% cause I like it better this way.
LimpFish
I'm liking Windows 7 more for each day I must say Smile
sined
I have Windows 7 and Windows XP on my harddrive, and i must say that Windows 7 is better. I think Windows 7 is very easy, fast and stable OS. I like it!!! And this is my Desktop:
[img]http://z1.przeklej.pl/prze2511/8c2df6a600038b5d4ba24812[/img]
cr3ativ3
Diablosblizz wrote:
Or you can learn that it's on the opposite side of the taskbar. :O It's not that hard people... I must be that 1% cause I like it better this way.

I 2nd that ! Very Happy

Anyways, i'm loving Windows 7, my laptop came with Vista preinstalled. What can I say, I ended up having to reinstall it monthly, otherwise everythin would simply refuse to work.

I jumped on the 7 Beta as soon as it came out, loved it through the Release Candidate. I have the final release, and I could not be happier. It has the nice things vista had, like the ease of finding anything by using the search boxes integrated everywhere. At the same time, they fixed nearly all of the problems vista had.

If I was asked to go back to XP I could not, mainly because of that ingenious search functionality.

The only problem I have with it is, it does not "feel" right when things do stop responding, does not happen often but when it does... It just doesnt have the "fail" right feel. (If you know what I meen?)

Best OS out today!
Rajiev
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

I 2nd that ! Very Happy

Anyways, i'm loving Windows 7, my laptop came with Vista preinstalled. What can I say, I ended up having to reinstall it monthly, otherwise everythin would simply refuse to work.

I jumped on the 7 Beta as soon as it came out, loved it through the Release Candidate. I have the final release, and I could not be happier. It has the nice things vista had, like the ease of finding anything by using the search boxes integrated everywhere. At the same time, they fixed nearly all of the problems vista had.

If I was asked to go back to XP I could not, mainly because of that ingenious search functionality.

The only problem I have with it is, it does not "feel" right when things do stop responding, does not happen often but when it does... It just doesnt have the "fail" right feel. (If you know what I meen?)

Best OS out today!

I were in the same scenario when I bought my lap Surprised

I hate Vista since it didn't gave my new laps full potential to the applications X( ( anyways, i didn't go in to the extent of reinstalling monthly :p )

Aw, loving it with Windows 7
nam_siddharth
Rajiev wrote:
Hey, Did you guys know that we can get the good old "Quick Launch" and "show desktop" on the windows 7 taskbar?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

If not everyone, at least 99% of the Windows 7users are so pissed off for not having the "show desktop" button on the left side of the task bar.

Now its all good for me

Thanks a lot man. That's what I was looking for a long time.
Rajiev
nam_siddharth wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

Now its all good for me

Thanks a lot man. That's what I was looking for a long time.

Your mostly welcome m8.

I was thinking of changing that for a long time, but i was too lazy to have a look in the net.
achowles
Rajiev wrote:

Yes my dear Fire Boar, it is on the right side and it is the clear little bar to the right bottom corner.

But that is the problem m8. We are used to a "Show desktop" icon that is on the quick launch segment right next to the windows "Start" button on the bottom left side of the screen.

So you have to spend some considerable amount of time, some "SH*T" and "Errrr" like swearing to get used to the new Show desktop icon location Razz

I've been used to the way the taskbar has been since 95. Yet despite the dramatic changes made in Windows 7 (especially for those of us who skipped Vista) I really do much prefer the way it works now.

Having the Quick Launch and program tabs merged makes so much sense I'm amazed they didn't think of it sooner (oh, wait. Microsoft. No, not so surprising then). And I suppose I don't use show desktop enough to be bothered about its relocation. In short, despite many years of doing things differently I had no problem adapting to Win7.
Rajiev
achowles wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

I've been used to the way the taskbar has been since 95. Yet despite the dramatic changes made in Windows 7 (especially for those of us who skipped Vista) I really do much prefer the way it works now.

Having the Quick Launch and program tabs merged makes so much sense I'm amazed they didn't think of it sooner (oh, wait. Microsoft. No, not so surprising then). And I suppose I don't use show desktop enough to be bothered about its relocation. In short, despite many years of doing things differently I had no problem adapting to Win7.

Arh,
Thats the spirit. although the problem with most of the users is that they are reluctent to change (including me)
anyways, me myself is not using "Show desktop" icon since I'm more used to WIN + D B)
nigam
hahahhaha just installed Win7 on my pc bought by my wife. So far so good as a matter of fact I am using this OS to post from this is though i am using Firefox browser. just listening to a cool soft music while posting. what a life....
Rajiev
nigam wrote:
hahahhaha just installed Win7 on my pc bought by my wife. So far so good as a matter of fact I am using this OS to post from this is though i am using Firefox browser. just listening to a cool soft music while posting. what a life....

I think Your keyboard is not working properly Very Happy

Perhaps you should update the dirver software so the punctuation marks starts working Very Happy

Just kidding
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
Ah. The whole "resistance to change" thing again, rather than "this feature is missing".

i LOL'd too this. Vista was great.. but for netbooks/laptops, it had an issue where it actually damaged your battery. Gotta love software.
nigam
Sorry about that, in fact my keyboard gone wild. But I already replaced it with this new hi-tech keyboard from cdr-king this should work fine now. This keyboard really fits for my new OS which is Win 7 Ultimate.
silverdown
I just got windows 7 today and it runs GOOD for me... I like it i had windows XP before and it was a OLD system BIG upgrade for me Smile
misterXY
Did anyone know the different version of Win7 don't actually matter unless your using it for enterprise (and except starter, etc.. one's without the bitlock features). Bitlock is great for laptops though (sorry, "notepads") .. Read it somewheres but lost the link. Think it was on Cnet in Aussie? Blah forgot. l'll update as soon as l find article.
Rajiev
misterXY wrote:
Did anyone know the different version of Win7 don't actually matter unless your using it for enterprise (and except starter, etc.. one's without the bitlock features). Bitlock is great for laptops though (sorry, "notepads") .. Read it somewheres but lost the link. Think it was on Cnet in Aussie? Blah forgot. l'll update as soon as l find article.

BitLocker is good. But use it with care.

I almost lost 120 GB of data cos of it. And Win 7 Bit Locker encryption is not compatible with Vista Surprised
Fire Boar
The problem with Bitlocker is that if your OS dies, you can't recover the data. So if you get a virus, you might as well say bye bye to all your stuff.
LimpFish
Rajiev wrote:
misterXY wrote:

I almost lost 120 GB of data cos of it. And Win 7 Bit Locker encryption is not compatible with Vista Surprised

Sorry to hear that man, that sucks! Guess that's the price you gotta pay for using it Razz
Rajiev
LimpFish wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

Sorry to hear that man, that sucks! Guess that's the price you gotta pay for using it Razz

NO ... Don't be ... Cos I recovered all of it, without loosing a byte Smile

The following link is the place where I originally posted my problem. Later I posted the answer my self too. till that, no one ever gave a good enough answer Sad

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/239322-44-recover-deleted-partition-encrypted-bitlocker
Da Rossa
I believe 7 is the best OS Microsoft ever made. Yes, because altough many people are sticking with XP, we can't forget the 2001/2002 days in which people were pissed with security problems and resource hunger.

Now, this is the first time the OS got smaller (both in HD filling and the command lines) than the predecessor (Vista), and also we don't need to shut down any services to have it work well and fast. Microsoft has did the right thing this time.

Of course it is not perfect, but who cares? Im happy with 7.
misterXY
Rajiev wrote:
LimpFish wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

NO ... Don't be ... Cos I recovered all of it, without loosing a byte Smile

The following link is the place where I originally posted my problem. Later I posted the answer my self too. till that, no one ever gave a good enough answer Sad

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/239322-44-recover-deleted-partition-encrypted-bitlocker

Just got done reading it, MS is willingly too help if you paid the big bucks, and wait 6~8 weeks for them too look into the issue.. then wait a yr for reply Razz
Rajiev
Ha ha Very Happy
Typical Smile
But After that much of time, your data will be obsolete :*
visualconcepts
Rajiev wrote:

Now its all good for me

Lets make things better you can use Windows Key + D in any version of windows, that is shortcut to show desktop. as windows 7 is a new operating system, people are not ready to accept the change. Nobody can for a short time, but believe me Windows 7 is something for what MS and all MS lovers waited, may in future we can have something good from them, there are a lot of things in windows 7, that you would love to know, and for XP lovers MS kept you people in mind while designing the OS, you can virtual XP, its a complete OS.
Rajiev
Most of the people dont use shortcut keys.
Let alone WIN + D, they dont know CTRL + C , CTRL + V , CTRL +X or CTRL Z :p

I'm a shortcut addict and Windows 7 made me use WIN + D a lot Wink

But for those people who goes W.T.H. is that for CTRL + C, there should be the good old "Show Desktop" icon.

( But some n00bs dont know that icon even :,( )
LimpFish
It took me a really long time to discover Win + D actually, but now that I did, I use it all the time Very Happy
misterXY
Rajiev wrote:
Most of the people dont use shortcut keys.
Let alone WIN + D, they dont know CTRL + C , CTRL + V , CTRL +X or CTRL Z :p

I'm a shortcut addict and Windows 7 made me use WIN + D a lot Wink

But for those people who goes W.T.H. is that for CTRL + C, there should be the good old "Show Desktop" icon.

( But some n00bs dont know that icon even :,( )

WIN + E and R are my most common shortcuts lol Shocked
tamilparks
how to install the ASP files
dasli
for mac I like Protemac meter for monitoring bandwidth...
thejessman86
I'm very impressed with Microsoft on Windows 7. They finally did something right. It's just a bummer it took them so long to apply these simple features that make working efficient.

I love how I can drag two windows to their respective sides and they'll each take up half the screen. Such a simple features but I use it all the time.
mahirh
guys , this is a post from 2008 and most posts after 5th page is off-topic except for some pages , moderaters , please close this!
samuelk
marhih,its still useful for newbies pls
Rajiev
thejessman86 wrote:
I'm very impressed with Microsoft on Windows 7. They finally did something right. It's just a bummer it took them so long to apply these simple features that make working efficient.

I love how I can drag two windows to their respective sides and they'll each take up half the screen. Such a simple features but I use it all the time.

Amen Smile
achowles
@ mahirh

Judging by the fact that they stickied it, I think that the moderator's intentions for this thread are very different from those of the original poster's. So I don't know if you're going to get a lock on it. But it is perhaps not the thread it could have been had a more recent thread been stickied instead.
LimpFish
SOmething that annoys me is that my computer restarts automatically like once every month, I think because of automatic upgrades or something. Very annoying as that wakes me up!
Rajiev
LimpFish wrote:
SOmething that annoys me is that my computer restarts automatically like once every month, I think because of automatic upgrades or something. Very annoying as that wakes me up!

Arh, The remedy is very simple.
Turn off Automatic update or change the settings do its not tottaly automatic.
go to
Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update
Click "Change Settings"

And in IMPORT UPDATES drop down list, select
"CHECK FOR UPDATES BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHETHER TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THEM"

then you can choose when to install updates and when to restart
achowles
LimpFish wrote:

Or you could turn it off when you go to bed. I know! Outlandish suggestion. It will never catch on.
Rajiev
achowles wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

Or you could turn it off when you go to bed. I know! Outlandish suggestion. It will never catch on.

Save power
Live green
Reduce the carbon foot print
:p
achowles
Rajiev wrote:

Save power
Live green
Reduce the carbon foot print
:p

Maybe a smaller electricity bill into the bargain. Oh, and a better night's sleep.
LimpFish
achowles wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

I do turn it off! Or actually, I hibernate it, but I still think that should keep it from restarting, but it doesnt. Rajievs tip will probably work though, thanks Smile
Rajiev
LimpFish wrote:
achowles wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

I do turn it off! Or actually, I hibernate it, but I still think that should keep it from restarting, but it doesnt. Rajievs tip will probably work though, thanks Smile

Let us know how that goes ok ?
zenama
LimpFish wrote:
achowles wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

An option can be to turn of the automatic update of Windows 7. The result would be that the user has to look for updates by hand every few weeks or every month. It is possible that the automatic restart doesn't occure anymore.
LimpFish
Rajiev wrote:
LimpFish wrote:
achowles wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

Let us know how that goes ok ?

I will for sure let you know how it goes, although it might take a while, since I only experience this maybe a couple times a month, I will have to let some time pass to be able to see if it has made a difference or not Smile
LostOverThere
I've been thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 to gain 64-bit capabilities (which I require for some of my programs.) Assuming I'll get Windows 7, what version would everyone recommend?

Is Home Premium good enough? Furthermore, I take it I can't upgrade from 32-bit Windows XP to 64-bit Windows 7, right?

Thanks,
-LostOverThere Smile
ProwerBot
Bah, I still have XP. My mom has 7, and I'm jealous of it every day.
LimpFish
ProwerBot wrote:
Bah, I still have XP. My mom has 7, and I'm jealous of it every day.

I still have XP on my laptop, and it's not that big of a difference really... Although XP feels slower, but that is probably just my laptop being pretty old Very Happy
Rajiev
I say people should totally go in for Windows 7.
But hey, W3 says that there 51% of the users use Windows XP Surprised

Aws, It should be either XP or Windows 7. can't think why on earth people are using vista when windows 7 is there ? :S
Fire Boar
Rajiev wrote:

Aws, It should be either XP or Windows 7. can't think why on earth people are using vista when windows 7 is there ? :S

Simple. People haven't upgraded from Vista to 7 because their computer came with Vista and either they were offered no free upgrade or they are too technologically challenged to attempt the upgrade. People haven't upgraded from Windows XP to 7 because XP works.
Rajiev
Fire Boar wrote:
Rajiev wrote:

Simple. People haven't upgraded from Vista to 7 because their computer came with Vista and either they were offered no free upgrade or they are too technologically challenged to attempt the upgrade. People haven't upgraded from Windows XP to 7 because XP works.

Hmm, must be true. Cos i didn't think of the money factor.

Another reason may be the hardware limitations. But most of the PCs that can handle XP can handle windows 7. And Once You see and use windows 7, its hard to go back to windows XP. Unless your a performance geek / have driver issues/ Have software compatibility issues.

But People who just stay with XP for tha sake of it or too lazy to attempt a upgrade
OR
Too afraid to step out of their comfort zone...
they have no excuse.
chartcentral
I'm on Windows 7 Starter Edition, and I'm amazed that they've disabled the ability for me to change my wallpaper. Smile
jussisi2
I think that windows 7 is the best windows available Smile
Calebskillen
Windows 7 exciting sound I have improved a lot under taskbar, large icons, nails, and creative ways personalize.Takes headache of a home network, making it easier to share files and access your favorite photos printers.Speedy , songs from the sites and documents
Fire Boar
Calebskillen wrote:
Windows 7 exciting sound I have improved a lot under taskbar, large icons, nails, and creative ways personalize.Takes headache of a home network, making it easier to share files and access your favorite photos printers.Speedy , songs from the sites and documents

/me resists the urge to add prepositions to that paragraph to completely change its intended meaning.
chartcentral
Just updated my Windows 7 to Service Pack 1. Can't tell much of a difference or any improvement though. Very Happy
emanuel2
chartcentral wrote:
Just updated my Windows 7 to Service Pack 1. Can't tell much of a difference or any improvement though. Very Happy

me neither xD
ProwerBot
I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
actually, it's tiny7.
cybersa
Now I'm using Windows XP.
Is Windows 7 wroth changing from XP.
chartcentral
cybersa wrote:

If you got a more or less current computer, then yes, it will definitely be worth switching from Windows XP to Windows 7. Smile
cybersa
Thanks for your information.
I'm going to switch to Windows 7 soon.
chartcentral
Just discovered Gadgets on Windows 7. Currently, I have the Picture Puzzle and Weather gadgets installed. Feed Headlines could be useful, but I don't have my RSS setup from Internet Explorer. All the default gadgets seem to be handy. Nice! Smile
erahost
hey friends windows 7 has been released long back and the upcoming windos is windows eight. i wonder how it will look like.
cybersa
I'm waiting for it.
Windows 8 screenshot is leaked on internet.
You can search on google. Smile
celebi269
I also HIGHLY recommend changing XP to 7. When I did that, I was virus-free from then on (with the help of Microsoft Security Essentials). You'll never regret upgrading to 7.
Fire Boar
cybersa wrote:
I'm waiting for it.
Windows 8 screenshot is leaked on internet.
You can search on google. Smile

It's not a leak if Microsoft have already announced and shown a video of it. Which they have.
Robert_Redbeard
I just bought a Windows 7 PC. So far I like it.

It is doing great with my installs of Adobe Photo Shop CS5, Paint Shop Pro 9 and Adobe After Effects CS4. The renders in AE CS4 are super fast.

I haven't really put any of my games on it yet. Just Halo. Yes, I still play the first Halo. No laughing.

Any suggestions for good games and other stuff for Windows 7?
aydinal
I've been using Win7 for a year now, not once seen a bluescreen. It's as stable as it gets. But every now and then chrome crashes. I guess it's a problem with all browsers since I swirched to chrome from firefox.
chartcentral
aydinal, that may not necessarily be a Windows 7 problem. Perhaps it's isolated on the browser(s) you use. Any particular website that would cause it/them to crash? Or maybe an add-on or plug-in? Is your anti-virus software updated? Smile
ricardooliveira
I bet that Windows 8 will be ready this year!
Chellesei
ricardooliveira wrote:
I bet that Windows 8 will be ready this year!

Yeah. I think so too. Smile I've seen some articles saying that Microsoft is hinting that October would be Windows 8's release month. I just don't know if this is true...
adamstuart07
Windows 7 is one of the finest operating system i have ever used.Just because of its wonderful features its become one of the most used operating system in the hole computer windows 7 full fill a the fit falls of the windows vista and also recover all the loss which happen in the Microsoft reputation after windows vista.windows 7 contained more security features and effective tool which make it very simple foe use ......
Some very common features of windows 7 is...

Big-screen support
Start button search
BitLocker To Go
Document libraries
Nag-free System Tray
Drag and snap windows
Location-aware printing
UAC silencer
Media streamer playback
Revamped Taskbar and jumplists
HomeGroup
New User State Migration tool
iTunes support in Windows Media Player
Show Desktop
Touch controls
DirectAccess
Sensor support
jasonmilsont
Windows 7 is launched by Microsoft which is very useful operating system to use. It is very easy and upgraded also to use.
subhan1
who else is waiting for Windows8? Smile
mugrinic
I use Windows 7 Enterprise, and I am very satisfied.

Windows 7 is the best!!!
subhan1
Windows 7 - the best windows ever - (Win98 is the King) Very Happy
blueray
I have also been running Windows 7 for over half-year. (At the beginning of this year).
It's much more stable than windows xp.
I have never experience any crash or reboot from it.
deanhills
My Windows XP Professional has never been unstable. I'm still on it at both home and work. And until the hardware is upgraded, I'll still stick with it. However, my new laptop has Windows 7, and I must say it's just much better in every respect from a functionality point of view than XP. Almost intuitive and instinctive with everything. And much much faster.
taytay
Windows 7 is so easy to install as well vs XP. goes much faster for being a larger OS. Hoping windows 8 will be as fast or faster. Of course, I'm going to wait a few month for the to solve bugs and things. I may even pre purchase and wait a while to install it. Maybe until a service pack 1. Of maybe, just maybe they've got it down by now and they won't need major fixing on windows 8 to require a service pack... Suppose we'll find out. For now, I love my windows 7. Planning on getting an SSD soon, looking forward to super fast!
zimmer
Windows 8 is officially released. I dont have idea if windows 8 capable for programing and database loaded... i guess it has option in switching to desktop mode since windows 8 is more design on tablet style (good only for browsing used).

but well see what are the feedback from our developers point of views..
marioulis7
Windows 7 are the only operating system that is so stable and operating with any program without problems at all.
andro27
windows 7 is good system and after try win 8 i see why people dont like this.Start menu is missing and all system is complicated and borring.For me this is worst thing what is Microsoft doing.In future try Linux distro , all is free.
vixxxxx
misterXY wrote:
etc.

lol..nowadays windows 8.1(blue)is out dude..!
msfarsa
i do not know about it either it is correct or it is humor. Smile
Blummer
Had to switch back to W7, since my graphic tablet is incompatible with W8. There is an updated driver, but after installing that one, I discover the cursor does not move the way it should and you can hardly draw anything. Anyway, after using W8 for about 2 years, had to go back to w7 and I think I will stay with this one for a while.
djnimadj
my thoughts are after widnows 8 microsoft is going to all touch screen OS
chartcentral
In the corporate world, Windows 7 is still the standard. Smile
PBMaxx
Until Linux gets more digital audio workstations, or Reaper gets a Linux port, Windows 7 remains as my only real option for music production.

Bitwig Studio is now available for OSX, Windows and Linux and that helps but the learning curve is huge if you're not familiar with the functionality of, say, Ableton Live.
dude_xyx
cybersa wrote:

Installed Windows 7 last week after using Windows XP for over 10 years and I think it's totally worth it. If you have at least DualCore processor and 2GB RAM then Windows 7 will work better than Windows XP. This really surprised me. It uses less RAM and feels working even faster.
rajdon82
misterXY wrote:
etc.

Windows XP is now no longer supported by Microsoft.
az_developer
now
windows 8.1 Very Happy
Blummer
Shame, w7 was rather nice one and stable one after Vista disaster.