FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Portable OS

Alie
I'm just planning to make a portable version of an operation system, that can be bootable from USB stick on clear hard disk. And now I'm looking for some tips and advises. Maybe someone tried already to make the same thing...

-----------------------------------------------
What I need it for:
1. Ability to check detailed information about hardware in new computer without entering BIOS and seeking for devices' manuals.
2. Ability to save usefull information from the hard drive even after total crash of the system.
3. System restore ability after total crash.
4. Very comfortable to have one USB stick with last software during recovering OS or installing a new one instead of using all those disks or downloading everything from enternet.
In the end I want to make an external windows with few integrated programs, utilities for monitoring and last drivers... It would be great if I could use all those programs without installatin, but if not - there is no problem for to make any simple autorun menu like in disks with drivers for hardware devices.

If someone have any idea which programs would be helpfull for me, or the way to integrate programs into portable windows - please, give me an answer Rolling Eyes

Thank you and sorry about my english...
mehulved
Alie wrote:
I'm just planning to make a portable version of an operation system, that can be bootable from USB stick on clear hard disk. And now I'm looking for some tips and advises. Maybe someone tried already to make the same thing...

What I need it for:
1. Ability to check detailed information about hardware in new computer without entering BIOS and seeking for devices' manuals.
2. Ability to save usefull information from the hard drive even after total crash of the system.
4. Very comfortable to have one USB stick with last software during recovering OS or installing a new one instead of using all those disks or downloading everything from enternet.

Why not install knoppix on pen drive or just use it off a live cd? It will be able to do all of the above except 3.
Alie wrote:

In the end I want to make an external windows with few integrated programs, utilities for monitoring and last drivers... It would be great if I could use all those programs without installatin, but if not - there is no problem for to make any simple autorun menu like in disks with drivers for hardware devices.

If someone have any idea which programs would be helpfull for me, or the way to integrate programs into portable windows - please, give me an answer Rolling Eyes

Thank you and sorry about my english...

Create windows live cd using nLite?
Also you can use portable apps - http://portableapps.com/
Alie
Quote:
Why not install knoppix on pen drive or just use it off a live cd? It will be able to do all of the above except 3.

Untill this day I haven't tried any kind of Linux as operation system, but want to do it someday. Most of my friends are using Windows, so urgent system restore after total crash would be also very usefull for me. This is the last open question in Linux case for now...

Quote:
Create windows live cd using nLite?

As I understood, nLite cleans Windows OS from useless applications, but can it be used on Live CD version?
Studio Madcrow
On the user end, modern Linuxes aren't very different from Windows. What IS different would be the configuration and administration stuff. Luckily, though, the various versions of Linux aimed at Live CDs and USB keys take care of that sort of stuff automattically, so you don't really need to worry.
mehulved
[quote="Alie"]
Quote:
As I understood, nLite cleans Windows OS from useless applications, but can it be used on Live CD version?
Sorry, that was supposed to be BartPE and not nLite - http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
It is used to create live cd/dvd's of windows.

Maybe you wanted something like this
ezekiel_rage
Alie wrote:

What I need it for:

All this can be accomplished by using a minimalistic Linux live distro.
You should take a look at Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux.

I prefer using Damn Small linux. I have it installed in my thumb drive. It only takes up 50MB of space.

Or if you want to make your own. You should look at knoppix and read about how to customize it. both distros that i mentioned earlier were derived from Knoppix.

Since i am using damn small linux (DSL) lets take that as a base for discussion.

DSL can automatically detect and provide drivers for almost every common hardware.

You can copy the files from the dead OS once you have booted to the GUI.
With the right packages installed to DSL you can even recover files from corrupted partitions and deleted data.

Again with the right tools you can recover your crashed Windows by editing the systems files and configuration.

Both Puppy and DSL can be installed into a USB drive.
LostOverThere
Puppy is based off Knoppix? I thought it was made from scratch. I'm probably wrong though.
Studio Madcrow
LostOverThere wrote:
Puppy is based off Knoppix? I thought it was made from scratch. I'm probably wrong though.

Puppy may use some detection stuff from Knoppix, but I'm pretty sure that it's mostly unique.