FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guildwars

shiningwin
Has anyone heard of guildwars (if you didn't go to www.guildwars.com)? I think it is a pretty good game. The graphics are mad good. I just want to play it more and more, but now you need to pay $50 for the cd. Crying or Very sad
Harrowed
What do you mean pay to buy the CD?

You can still download it online... Just burn an existing copy to disk/dvd and load it from there each time..

It's all I've done and I've reformatted numerous times..

Two accounts.. One with CD and one I baught online.
AnGeLicK
well if you waited a few months it would be cheaper
Harrowed
Purchased an unused account key on eBay for $38 Australian.
I'm sure there's a few even cheaper now.. Give it a try.
skynet
oh yeah i heard about this game... nice game.. it's like lineage...

i like kind of this games..
liranr
i know the game is really good CORPG game i like it very much.
try to buy it on Ebay very cheap there i bought it from store it's cost me 250NIS (New Israelis Shekels) it's 45.5Euro and it's very expensive here but worst it Smile
RavenCross
Yeah the graphics are so cool.. the textures are so nice and detailed.. yet 50$ is kinda a big money for a student like me.. but my jaw drops every time i see this game.. make me wana play.. maybe ill w8 for it to become cheaper.. Very Happy
stiffler
This is an awesome game, I've played off and on since the 1st beta weekend.
bao
$50 for a CD is too expensive.other people think about...
Dimaod
I read about this game in magazine and i was very excited...
But 50 dollars to much for me Smile
Not fro my brother Wink
HunterMac
Great games, and tottaly free for play - great idea. I think the NCSoft will have great profit from it, there are so much of payer out there right now.... I really recommend it ;]
snowymirage
Yet another mmorpg, but this one has free monthly online play. You just have to pay a one time amount for the game and unlike other games like world or warcraft you dont have to pay monthly. Its only 50 dollars, same as wow but wow charges 30 dollars a month. Also its only 40 dollars now, i saw it on sale. Im sort of scared to buy it for the fact that it is not paid monthly because the creaters might not update the game much. Anyone have it?
snowymirage
Compared to other online rpgs this is like half the price. Other mmorpgs require pay monthly fee or hourly fee, cost like 30 dollars a month + the game such as world of warcraft.
Jamatu
I played the beta of this game, I agree the graphics are pretty damn nice especially when you have a graphics card that can handle them. I stopped playing on the second weekend I was playing the beta... I just found it too repetative.
merlik
Jamatu wrote:
I played the beta of this game, I agree the graphics are pretty damn nice especially when you have a graphics card that can handle them. I stopped playing on the second weekend I was playing the beta... I just found it too repetative.

When did you play the beta? I did the same thing, but bought the game when it came out and they added alot to it. Also, has anyone gone to the new areas in the Sorrows Furnace update?
outsyinsy
The main thrust of the game, I think, is the PvP aspect. Get to the level 20 cap and start building your character's PvP abilities. I tried doing it with the PvP character feature on the Create Character section. Playing PvP was a LOT of fun. Laughing

What's great about Guildwars is that you only have to buy the CD key after which you can play without having to pay monthly fees, unlike WoW.

Guildwars also has instances, where you get your own copy of the game when you play outside the cities. Some people like this feature because it lessens the lag, but I like it better when I see a fellow adventurer on the road when I play.

The graphics are also really good. I love the elementalist chicks. Lol.

My main gripe with the game (though others think this is a really good feature) is that it mostly uses streaming content. The game takes forever to load on a dial-up connection, where every new map you go to has to be downloaded before you can enter. I heard or read somewhere that it discourages private servers, but I still don't like it.

Otherwise, this game is great.
necron-lord
THis game is super
IT's great just everything
Haku
50$ isn't to much for this game, cuz you don't have to pay every month.
It gets alot cheaper that other mmo's like WoW, EQ2 and stuff.
WoW costs like 35$ for the game and then 12$ each month, thats to much.
I like Guildwars and im gonna stick with it a little longer. Mesmer ownz Razz
Natrualkiller
this game is a waste of money fun for a month then out the window for me
sqlreport
I am stuck on this level where I need to go through bunch of Chars. Does anyone have any time to help me? Look for Armondo.
Yantaal
I have been playing for about 7 months now. Addicted i dare say, Look me up my name is Yantaal Silver Leaf.

Its so good, but i dont like the way everything is an instance.

The only real fault i can find. But i think i have done all the quests and missions so all i have left is GVG and the PVP. Getting a little bored. but not enough to stop playing it.

I am a:

Ranger/Monk lvl 20
Marksmanship-9+
Wilderness Survival-9+
Beast Mastery- 2-3

i forget the rest, i dont bother with monk skills. Not worth being a secondary monk, if you ask me. Dont get devine favour.
GW_Addict
Yantaal wrote:
I have been playing for about 7 months now. Addicted i dare say, Look me up my name is Yantaal Silver Leaf.

Its so good, but i dont like the way everything is an instance.

The only real fault i can find. But i think i have done all the quests and missions so all i have left is GVG and the PVP. Getting a little bored. but not enough to stop playing it.

I am a:

Ranger/Monk lvl 20
Marksmanship-9+
Wilderness Survival-9+
Beast Mastery- 2-3

i forget the rest, i dont bother with monk skills. Not worth being a secondary monk, if you ask me. Dont get devine favour.

I agree here. I am extremely addicted to this game. I have put in over 500 hours of online play, and while there is now a lack of new things to do, I am still not so bored that I no longer play. I am the head of a guild, and particularly enjoy playing with friends.

As for the money aspect - I would challenge anyone to show my any other game on the planet that has the level of graphics, playability and realism that GW has, and that does not charge you $$$ every month to play like WOW or EQ.

That, and find a game that is not a PV style game (yet still implements it for those hard-core PVP types) very refreshing.
GW_Addict
Natrualkiller wrote:
this game is a waste of money fun for a month then out the window for me

Aren't most games this way anyway? I loved Half Life 2 - but I had it beaten in about two weeks! Most games you pay $50 for and play for about 80 hours. By the time you have exhausted everything you can do in Guild Wars you've put about 800 hours into it - with nothing more then the initial $50 investment. Do the math, and that works out to be an incredible deal!
Jonsps
Defianly a good game. I am not sure to much on its value. I am already onto something else. It bored me quickly.
GW_Addict
I think the thing that makes this game so interesting for me is the level of interaction with other real people (especially friends) without it being a player vs player like some other online games.

I am a huge fan of LAN parties etc, and this is just an easier way to game with friends.

Either way, the name says it all

GW_Addict. :)
johnyfitz
this was the only mmorpg i ever really enjoyed playing. it might have something to do with
A. You pay for the game cd and thats it. no monthly account fees! nothing! nada!
B.I'm located in the eastern us, i played with my best friend when he was in china, another friend on vacation in north carolina, and some random guy from europe. when else do you communicate on such a global level? even if it is just a game. Wink
C. No mission queues! whenever you go into a mission, you and your party play on your own unique map separate from everyone else.

I haven't actually played in awhile, but i was a Warrior/Elementalist. :-p level 13 or so, i think.
Lokine
Guild Wars got old fast for me. I haven't played since I've beaten it; I can't imagine I'm missing anything anyway.
AnthraX
Got the game for less then 30€. in my opinion its the best online-game ever been but rose

quite good graphics and a real good community
stiffler
It seems some of you are bored....its probably because you need to get fully into the PvP portion of Guild Wars. Its a whole new dimension. Part of being sucessful is finding some builds that trump the FotM. Just get into PvP, its great fun. Start out in random arena, then work up to tombs and GvG if you have the numbers.
GW_Addict
stiffler wrote:
It seems some of you are bored....its probably because you need to get fully into the PvP portion of Guild Wars. Its a whole new dimension. Part of being sucessful is finding some builds that trump the FotM. Just get into PvP, its great fun. Start out in random arena, then work up to tombs and GvG if you have the numbers.

Agreed - I have over 500 hours into the game, and have not even touched the PvP, which is a totally different 'game'. As for the comment made earlier about getting bored after 'beating' the game... I don't buy this. You cant truly 'beat' this game - it is never ending.

Proof of my point. ArenaNet has broken the original development team into two (after the game released.) One works on maintaining, debugging, and enhancing the current game, while the other half works on Chapter 2 (which is slated for the beginning of next year, and is said that it will be as big as the original game was!). The first group keeps adding to the existing game. There are five quests you get from Glint that are Post Ring of Fire (RoF). Then there are all the quests in Sorrows Furnace. Then, even if you manage to get through all of these with one character, the entire way you play changes when you have a different character (I have four, all of them deep into the game, none of them who have done 'everything' there is to do.)

Even if you have done all of this with four different characters, I highly doubt you have done it all. A group in my Guild spent four hours in FoW and still did not see it all? If you think you have beaten the game and are bored because there is nothing new - its probably jsut because you stopped looking for the new....

Have you seen the eternally burning forest in FoW?
Rafe
liranr wrote:
i know the game is really good CORPG game i like it very much.
try to buy it on Ebay very cheap there i bought it from store it's cost me 250NIS (New Israelis Shekels) it's 45.5Euro and it's very expensive here but worst it Smile

:0!
I bought it in Israel too! Whats your accoutn name?
ajoaktree
Been playing since about July. I love it. I have 4 characters all at 20th lvl cap. Unfortunately, I've not been able to finish it. One of the missions, Thunderhead Keep, is a big stumbling block for me. You have to keep the dwarven king from getting killed while bunches of mobs are attacking, and of course ya gotta kill them too. The Guild I started with my real life buddies is kinda inconsistant in their playtime. Only two others are on often. Makes for a hard time, LOL.
hodgenpodg
Great game I used to play it all the time, but after you beat most of it, it starts to get a little boring which is why I've stopped playing (ill probably start playing again in a couple of weeks) and started playing Battlefield 2. Graphics are great and its not turned base which is why I really liked it.
GW_Addict
ajoaktree wrote:
Been playing since about July. I love it. I have 4 characters all at 20th lvl cap. Unfortunately, I've not been able to finish it. One of the missions, Thunderhead Keep, is a big stumbling block for me. You have to keep the dwarven king from getting killed while bunches of mobs are attacking, and of course ya gotta kill them too. The Guild I started with my real life buddies is kinda inconsistant in their playtime. Only two others are on often. Makes for a hard time, LOL.

Yea - Thunderhead keep is a pain in the Butt until you figure it out. It and Hells Precipice (last Mission) are by far (imho) the hardest to beat. Most of it hinges on getting in with a good group who knows what they are doing.

hodgenpodg wrote:
Great game I used to play it all the time, but after you beat most of it, it starts to get a little boring which is why I've stopped playing (ill probably start playing again in a couple of weeks) and started playing Battlefield 2. Graphics are great and its not turned base which is why I really liked it.

Yes, it is time for that expansion they are discussing a Q1 2006 release for!!! Hopefully it increases skills, levels, etc. I do know that size-wize they are saying it will be as big as the entire first game again!!!
Rolla76
I love this game. it is totally awesome but is having a negative impact on my social life. Have played it non stop and havent slept much since i bought it. $100 AU is totally worth it!!!
Rsamaster
The game is great but actually has very little contents. There's absolutely nothing else to do other than fight through quests or trade items. So it can get very boring after you reach the low lvl 20 cap.
GW_Addict
Rsamaster: I hear you there. I have almost 650 hours into this game now :)

Rolla76: I also agree with you. It started dragging a little after the first 600 hours, though I still maintain that it is the best game ever created (and has the most play for the buck). That said, I am really, really hoping they raise the level cap in the expansion that is supposed to be out in the Spring of 2006.
blunty666
guild wars rocks i bought it the day it came out an i been playing it everyday since the graphics are sweet an its not like u have to stay on long to do somthing its jus pick up and play an put down when u need to do somthing an i dunno what the moaning about the disk cost is online play is FREEEEE! unlike wow wich is a good game but too expensive once ur hooked

yep jus guild wars for me guild wars and css best games ever Very Happy
Hobbad
Friend told me that the gameplay sucks, the max level is 20, after that it's just boosting skill points, or something. And that it was a waste of $50 and she much rather prefers WoW
ecnex
yes the max lvl is 20, but it's not an inconvenient for me. there can be a lot of differences between two levels 20... so in this game you have to improve your technic !

and I think $50 is not so expensive and there is no subscription...
With WoW you have to pay every month...endly I think that WoW is more expensive
no ?
GW_Addict
ecnex wrote:
yes the max lvl is 20, but it's not an inconvenient for me. there can be a lot of differences between two levels 20... so in this game you have to improve your technic !

and I think $50 is not so expensive and there is no subscription...
With WoW you have to pay every month...endly I think that WoW is more expensive
no ?

Talking about the downside of having your level capped at 20, has anyone heard if they will left this cap in the expansion coming out in the next few months?
5C1
epensive.. n my have only little time to play..if i buiy not worth
GW_Addict
5C1 wrote:
epensive.. n my have only little time to play..if i buiy not worth

So would you then say that ALL online games are not worth it? $50 for a game with unlimited online play (Guild Wars) - versus other games (WoW, Lineage, Dark Age, Evercrack, etc, etc, etc) that you pay $50 for and then another $15 a month..... a no-brainer I would think unless you just don’t play online games.

That said, anybody know anything about the upcoming expansion? I have seen the new skills and characters, but have neither seen nor heard anything about the key think that will either make or break the expansion.

WILL THEY RAISE THE FREAKING LEVEL CAP!
time_ar
Yeah, I love Guild Wars. It's well worth the money I paid for it. Plus, there is no monthly fee, hiden charge, what-so-ever. Just one time payment and you can enjoy tons of content offered by the game. Oh yeah, there will be constant add-on to the game too, some are free some are not. The free ones are actually event hosted by arnet, for example, when Christmas comes. The non-free ones, one of which is comming soon, is expension pack with a serious amount of new content. I like their bussiness model. I can decide to buy or not depends on how good the expension is. If they're not good, I can just continue to play the existing game with no charge. And yes, the game can be played like forever since there are hundreds of skills to be used to form builds.

I don't know about the solo'ers. I seldom soloed in this game. I am leading a tight-knit guild and we are having great fun in every aspect of the game. We are hard-core pvp'ers. In this game, you can only win PvP with skills and teamwork.
GW_Addict
I would also like to point out that Guild Wars won PC Gamers magazines best MMO of the year for 2005, as well as their Best value for 2005. They also had a full page on why anyone who plays online games should be playing Guild Wars.

That said, I am rather dissapointed that ArenaNet will not be raising the level cap for their expansions. :(
Tasa
This was one of my christmas gives from my wife it is great a month later and I am still playing with an near addictive zeal. Anyone who said it got boring after a month just never found there character. Took me awhile also to get the groove but once I made the best character for me I can't stop. It is just so much fin.
Timonator
Im a harcore guildwars freak. I have access to 5 accounts I play a lot pvp also
GW_Addict
Tasa wrote:
This was one of my christmas gives from my wife it is great a month later and I am still playing with an near addictive zeal. Anyone who said it got boring after a month just never found there character. Took me awhile also to get the groove but once I made the best character for me I can't stop. It is just so much fin.

Here here!!

Timonator wrote:
Im a harcore guildwars freak. I have access to 5 accounts I play a lot pvp also

lol - I am glad I am not the only one! I have three accounts (that's 12 characters) and have five characters that have gone through the entire game so far. Depending on your character builds the game play changes ever time.

And I have not even taken the time to get into the PvP yet! Just PvE.
GW_Addict
HOT NEWS!

GUILD WARS FACTIONS

The prepurchase package is coming out on Feb. 28 and then a 3 day preview online March 24th, and you can invite three people to play, so they anticipate 3 million people. Go to the web site and check it out!

And in case you haven't checked, GW has updated their web site, it's awesome.

WOOT!!!
Tasa
GW_Addict wrote:
HOT NEWS!

GUILD WARS FACTIONS

The prepurchase package is coming out on Feb. 28 and then a 3 day preview online March 24th, and you can invite three people to play, so they anticipate 3 million people. Go to the web site and check it out!

WOOT!!!

I already called gamestop here in town and on Feb 28 I will be picking up my copy.

Highlight points for those who don't want to visit guildwars.com

More character slots for those that have both chapters
Lvl cap stays @ 20.
Travel between the 2 lands will be possible for people who have both chapters.
Preorders will get access to the game 24hrs before anyone else once the game launchs
Preorders will get 2 bonus items. One for each of the new professions.
Guilds will be able to "control" areas of the map. Giving them access to new regions.
Game is stand alone. You do not have to own chapter 1 to play chapter 2.

In short it will be a great addition to the game.
GW_Addict
Tasa wrote:
GW_Addict wrote:
HOT NEWS!

GUILD WARS FACTIONS

WOOT!!!

I already called gamestop here in town and on Feb 28 I will be picking up my copy.

Highlight points for those who don't want to visit guildwars.com

More character slots for those that have both chapters
Lvl cap stays @ 20.
Travel between the 2 lands will be possible for people who have both chapters.
Preorders will get access to the game 24hrs before anyone else once the game launchs
Preorders will get 2 bonus items. One for each of the new professions.
Guilds will be able to "control" areas of the map. Giving them access to new regions.
Game is stand alone. You do not have to own chapter 1 to play chapter 2.

In short it will be a great addition to the game.

The only real downside to this (and it's a major one) is that ArenaNet still refuses to raise the level cap. In fact according to what I have read, they are not planning on EVER raising the level cap. This is the only real gripe I have with this otherwise amazing game.

After all, people play games to expand and grow. Everyone wants to be more powerful than somebody else. This "equality in levels" sucks!
Tasa
GW_Addict wrote:

The only real downside to this (and it's a major one) is that ArenaNet still refuses to raise the level cap. In fact according to what I have read, they are not planning on EVER raising the level cap. This is the only real gripe I have with this otherwise amazing game.

After all, people play games to expand and grow. Everyone wants to be more powerful than somebody else. This "equality in levels" sucks!

I see where you are coming from but at the same time I don't think the cap is all that big of a deal. The game is about skills. The short climb to 20 is more like a training time for your skills getting use to the way the game works giving you a chance to find your groove.

I hit 20 about a week ago and I am still not as powerfull as some players. Not because they have better stuff them me. It is because they have the skill.

I like the "equality in levels".
GW_Addict
Tasa wrote:
GW_Addict wrote:

I see where you are coming from but at the same time I don't think the cap is all that big of a deal. The game is about skills. The short climb to 20 is more like a training time for your skills getting use to the way the game works giving you a chance to find your groove.

I hit 20 about a week ago and I am still not as powerful as some players. Not because they have better stuff them me. It is because they have the skill.

I like the "equality in levels".

Yes, and I can see how ArenaNet is in fact modeling their game (both now and for the future) based on skills and not levels. I am also equally as sure that the people playing now that have spent a million gold on Fissure of Woe armor would be equally as miffed if ArenaNet put out new armor with better stats. :)

This said, the vast majority of people play games like this to build and grow their characters - in more than just what skills they have access to. I have my own site where I list my favorite "builds". But this aside, there is a certain satisfaction to be had from going back to a point where you previously had your butt handed to you due to a creature's advanced level, and handing that same creature their butt back because YOU have now advanced in skill, weapons, armor and level.

Now, as you said, you can still pull this off with JUST advances in skills, but it is 1/4 of the whole picture (the other three being weapons, armor and levels).

This is also why other online games that are still fee-based continue to rake in the millions. The fact is that most people playing these games WANT to be more powerful than somebody or something else in the game.

In short - equality is nice in the real world - but can suck in certain games. :)

That said (and I know if was a lot) I will still buy the expansion and see if the game play and new things they do with it make up for the deficit of missing those other three key components to growing your character.
phinguyen
i donn understand these games. i have all kinds of firends that play these long tedious MMORPGs and i looks sooo booring, i mean you go around doing the same thing over and over and over again and the games weak story slowly reveals itself to a weak weak ending. i mean some people (i've seen) dont even play the game, they log on and freakin tape the mouse buttons down and just let the damn thing run. what is the fun in that? i'm not trying to dog on them, i mean i know i'm just not one of those people that are into MMORPGs but when playing the game means taping down the right click button of your mouse button and leaving it for a few hours is supposed to be fun i thinq iz just sad and booring. anyone else agree?
Natrualkiller
good game untill i meet world of warcraft
GW_Addict
phinguyen wrote:
i donn understand these games. i have all kinds of firends that play these long tedious MMORPGs and i looks sooo booring, i mean you go around doing the same thing over and over and over again and the games weak story slowly reveals itself to a weak weak ending. i mean some people (i've seen) dont even play the game, they log on and freakin tape the mouse buttons down and just let the damn thing run. what is the fun in that? i'm not trying to dog on them, i mean i know i'm just not one of those people that are into MMORPGs but when playing the game means taping down the right click button of your mouse button and leaving it for a few hours is supposed to be fun i thinq iz just sad and booring. anyone else agree?

While I agree that many of these games are as you have described, you have obviously not played Guild Wars. One of the best parts of this game is a very rich and fully thought-out story line. There is the main plot that unveils itself as the game progresses, and hundreds of side quests etc. that add themselves to the main plot in some way. I have over 700 hours in the game, and I am STILL finding little things here or there that tie into the plot in a way I never realized. The best part is that your character is usually a catalyst for these little "changes" in the game.

Guild Wars has one of the most thorough and complex plots in any game I have ever played. It's the main reason I have been able to play it for as long as I have.
GW_Addict
Just thought I would add an example to that last post. This is just an example of the little things that the gamers add to the plot to show how your character is shaping the future.

In the pre-game area (the introduction) you are given a quest to kill a rogue bull that is threatening the natives. After killing the bull (if you are patient) you will see a farmer named “Old Mac” go up to the woman (Althea) who gave you the quest and chew her out, saying that the bull was the only thing protecting his fields.

Now, if you go talk to Old Mac, he will say (off-handedly) that if he could get his hands on a devourer egg, perhaps he could raise a devourer to protect his fields. So…off you go to get him one and gain some XP…

Fast forward to two years later. When you reach the Shiverpeak mountains where the refugees are. You get a quest from the captain of the guard to talk to this guy who’s pet devourer is eating all of the rations. Yup…it’s Old Mac and his now fully grown pet devourer. Your earlier solution has now become your problem.

I won’t even start out on the whole history of Althea that you have to unravel and help on.

And these are just he game-building quests. This is nothing compared to the rich complexity of the actual plot.

Anyone who plays Guild Wars just to ‘play it” and not pay attention to the development of the plot is…well…missing out. :)
Mumpay
it's true, i love the stories in guild wars. But the 5th time through the quests it gets a tad dull.

I've raised up 5 characters (deleted 1 mesmer to make a necro). I love the game.

Right now I've been playing barrage/pet with my ranger in the UW, soooo much destruction, lol.

I've also been raising my MM necro the most, I just adore all the little baby minions all around me, taking the hits, etc. Ha, it's great when all the minions attack at the same time, each one hitting from 10-25 points, about 15 of them hitting, 375 points a second! it's wonderfully delicious Twisted Evil

I'm looking to get into pvp. I also havnt gone to fow or sorrows furnace.. its not the same thing right? lol. Those places are toooo hard though, and I'm a big chicken, lol.

But it's a really fun game nonetheless!

Quote:

i mean some people (i've seen) dont even play the game, they log on and freakin tape the mouse buttons down and just let the damn thing run. what is the fun in that? i'm not trying to dog on them, i mean i know i'm just not one of those people that are into MMORPGs but when playing the game means taping down the right click button of your mouse button and leaving it for a few hours is supposed to be fun i thinq iz just sad and booring. anyone else agree?

no no no. Not in the high levels. The point of a mmorpg is that you play in a TEAM. In the harder areas, if 1 member isn't playing well, the whole team can easily die. It's entirely teamwork, learning how to best play your role in the team, and how your skills compliment other skills of other players of entirely different professions. If you found it boring, try playing a monk or mesmer. It requries a lot of thinking, how to best apply your skills so you don't run out of energy and cause the most healing or damage for the least amount of work in the shortest time possible. To be a good mesmer or monk takes a lot of attention. No button mashing, nooo way, lol.
Kafka
good game but to boring To easy get good weapons and armors, most interest in pvp, but its not good Sad Sad
agentblade
Hi all! I'm new to this forums and I had to pop by and say I love Guild Wars... If pple get bored with GW it's only because they haven't gone into PvP.. Unless u're in the top guild and beat every single player out there I dun see why u can get bored with GW's PvP... the fun is abt strategy, skill and teamwork.. much more fun beating other players than beating the computer with predictable AI.. Laughing
GW_Addict
I think agentblade and mumpay nailed it. If you find one type of character or build boring, try another. The game plays differently for every type. I have now taken five characters through the entire game, and even though the storyline remained the same (though I found things out I had missed each time) each player was different than the others.

The ability to change your secondary class at ANY time after you ascend also means that the number of builds you can play with never end.

I have over 700 hours into the game, and STILL have not seen everything there is to see. (And for anyone who says they have seen it all, I would ask you how long you have spent in the Fissure of Woe (FoW) and if you made it to the burning forest. We have been down there for over FOUR hours - and still not seen it all!

And I have played almost NO PvP! So there is still a TON of the game open to play!
GW_Addict
Mumpay wrote:
...I'm looking to get into pvp. I also havnt gone to fow or sorrows furnace.. its not the same thing right? lol. Those places are toooo hard though, and I'm a big chicken, lol....

Mumpay – FoW is very hard, as is Sorrows Furnace. However, if you have done the Underworld, you can handle both – as the ataxes in Underworld kill a person faster than anything else I have seen in the game! My personal opinion is that the Underworld is the toughest area in the game. (At least through the original entrance. There is now an path to Underworld that came into being from the hall of Primeval Kings near the Dragons Lair that is not quite as bad.)

Also, Sorrows Furnace is a fantastic place to farm. There are plenty of quests and things to do that will “warm you up” to the harder stuff. I would recommend that you do Kilroys Quest first – it is the easiest. They get harder from there.

FoW is probably the next toughest, and you should have a dedicated group that can commit a LONG time to playing there. Most groups have people start dropping after an hour or two. Like I said before, four hours into it and there is still more to see makes for a long play.

Underworld will kill you unless you have a nearly perfect group who knows what they are doing. Nuff said. :)
anhstar
Have been playing WOW and getting bored of how I have to spend 6 hours in a raid. If I leave in the middle of the raid, I'll be in big trouble with my guild...

Guildwar has good graphic and can be played and quit whenever I want, and you dont have to pay monthly for it.

Will try.
Tasa
GW_Addict wrote:
Just thought I would add an example to that last post. This is just an example of the little things that the gamers add to the plot to show how your character is shaping the future.

In the pre-game area (the introduction) you are given a quest to kill a rogue bull that is threatening the natives. After killing the bull (if you are patient) you will see a farmer named “Old Mac” go up to the woman (Althea) who gave you the quest and chew her out, saying that the bull was the only thing protecting his fields.

Now, if you go talk to Old Mac, he will say (off-handedly) that if he could get his hands on a devourer egg, perhaps he could raise a devourer to protect his fields. So…off you go to get him one and gain some XP…

Fast forward to two years later. When you reach the Shiverpeak mountains where the refugees are. You get a quest from the captain of the guard to talk to this guy who’s pet devourer is eating all of the rations. Yup…it’s Old Mac and his now fully grown pet devourer. Your earlier solution has now become your problem.

I won’t even start out on the whole history of Althea that you have to unravel and help on.

And these are just he game-building quests. This is nothing compared to the rich complexity of the actual plot.

Anyone who plays Guild Wars just to ‘play it” and not pay attention to the development of the plot is…well…missing out. Smile

If you are a warrior Even before the example you mention you meet Old Mac and his devourer. Pitmar, thinks that Mac has been killed and send you out to get the body to give it a proper resting place. Well you find the old guy alive and kick some charr butt. You lead him back to Piken Sq for exp and warrior skills.
Mumpay
GW_Addict wrote:
Mumpay wrote:
...I'm looking to get into pvp. I also havnt gone to fow or sorrows furnace.. its not the same thing right? lol. Those places are toooo hard though, and I'm a big chicken, lol....

Mumpay – FoW is very hard, as is Sorrows Furnace. However, if you have done the Underworld, you can handle both – as the ataxes in Underworld kill a person faster than anything else I have seen in the game! My personal opinion is that the Underworld is the toughest area in the game. (At least through the original entrance. There is now an path to Underworld that came into being from the hall of Primeval Kings near the Dragons Lair that is not quite as bad.)

Also, Sorrows Furnace is a fantastic place to farm. There are plenty of quests and things to do that will “warm you up” to the harder stuff. I would recommend that you do Kilroys Quest first – it is the easiest. They get harder from there.

FoW is probably the next toughest, and you should have a dedicated group that can commit a LONG time to playing there. Most groups have people start dropping after an hour or two. Like I said before, four hours into it and there is still more to see makes for a long play.

Underworld will kill you unless you have a nearly perfect group who knows what they are doing. Nuff said. Smile

Yeah, I've been playing the tombs entrance, I find it quite easy but that's cause I've been in the barrage/pet/minion/orders groups. If you havn't tried that, give it a whirl, you'll laugh at how easy it is, lol. 1 monk, 1 MM, 1 Orders, and 5 Rangers with pets and barrage. Great stuff.

So UW is the hardest then eh? I should give the other places a try again. I tried leaving out of warcamp into sorrows, couldn't get past the very first chunk of baddies! It was waaaay hard. But could have been the group.

But yea, I've played for a looooong time and I pay attention and play right, and if there's still loads of stuff I havn't done. It's a big game, if you're willing to look and listen for more things to do, as it's not always going to lead you by the hand to the different areas to try.
GW_Addict
Mumpay wrote:

...If you havn't tried that, give it a whirl, you'll laugh at how easy it is, lol. 1 monk, 1 MM, 1 Orders, and 5 Rangers with pets and barrage. Great stuff.

What do you define as an "Orders" (I know the others). And what is your monk - straight healing? Bond? I would like to try these.

Mumpay wrote:

So UW is the hardest then eh? I should give the other places a try again. I tried leaving out of warcamp into sorrows, couldn't get past the very first chunk of baddies! It was waaaay hard. But could have been the group.

I have completely cleared Sorrows, and yet cannot even make it a quarter of the way into UW. The ataxes are what make UW so impossible. Non-tanks (like monks and eles) tend to take 300-400 points of damage - PER HIT from these buggers!

Mumpay wrote:

But yea, I've played for a looooong time and I pay attention and play right, and if there's still loads of stuff I havn't done. It's a big game, if you're willing to look and listen for more things to do, as it's not always going to lead you by the hand to the different areas to try.

Well said. :)
corridor_writers
So - anybody exited for Factions?

I played the one day event, and really liked what they have done to add to the game.

Of course this was but a meager fraction of what is to come, but it still is something that is sure to hold my interest for a while longer.
GW_Addict
corridor_writers wrote:
So - anybody exited for Factions?

I played the one day event, and really liked what they have done to add to the game.

Of course this was but a meager fraction of what is to come, but it still is something that is sure to hold my interest for a while longer.

Yes, very exited. While I must admin (which is hard for somebody with the name GW_Addict to do Smile that I have been playing GW less and less (as there is nothing new to do. I am looking forward to seeing the new stuff and getting re-exited about the game in general.
Guyon
The Game absolutely Rocks! and there is NO monthly charge like all the other. It will keep you busy, maybe too busy for a long time.

I actually have 2 box copies of the game. Am I allowed to out one of them up for sale here?
corridor_writers
Guyon wrote:
The Game absolutely Rocks! and there is NO monthly charge like all the other. It will keep you busy, maybe too busy for a long time.

I actually have 2 box copies of the game. Am I allowed to out one of them up for sale here?

Well, it's not e-bay...and I don't know what the frihost policy is on selling stuff here....

But on the other note - the game does indeed rock. I love the additinal game play, graphics, and plot line! And I have barely started playing it!
m00tmuffin
I played it for a few days but, being a hardcore Everquest addict, I went back to my old drug. But nonetheless--the game is definitely pleasing, the graphics are great and I love that there's no monthly charge, just the base charge for the game then nothing else. But it's a lot nicer then EQ in that you can just leave/quit/stop playing easier then with WoW or EQ (versus if you're in the middle of a raid or something, etc.)
corridor_writers
m00tmuffin wrote:
I played it for a few days but, being a hardcore Everquest addict, I went back to my old drug. But nonetheless--the game is definitely pleasing, the graphics are great and I love that there's no monthly charge, just the base charge for the game then nothing else. But it's a lot nicer then EQ in that you can just leave/quit/stop playing easier then with WoW or EQ (versus if you're in the middle of a raid or something, etc.)

Yup, those are pretty much the reason there are now millions of Guild Wars players......

Unfortunantly, this is now also starting to be a bit of a problem for me. The lag between me and the server gets worse as more and more people come on in the day, and my initial euphoria at playing the new expansion has begun to wear off as everything has started to become more and more redundant.

My biggest gripe to date (by far) is that there is STILL no sign that ArenaNet will ever raise the level cap in Guild Wars!!!! Argggg!!!
GW_Addict
[quote="corridor_writers]Yup, those are pretty much the reason there are now millions of Guild Wars players......

Unfortunantly, this is now also starting to be a bit of a problem for me. The lag between me and the server gets worse as more and more people come on in the day, and my initial euphoria at playing the new expansion has begun to wear off as everything has started to become more and more redundant.

My biggest gripe to date (by far) is that there is STILL no sign that ArenaNet will ever raise the level cap in Guild Wars!!!! Argggg!!![/quote]

Yea, I hear you. Between me and a couple of close friends, we have almost 3000 hours into the game. I still love it, I still play it, but there are certain things that are becoming more and more redundant. We all feel this is due to the level cap. No matter how much new content, how may new classes or skills, and how many new story-lines you throw into a game, if your character cannot get 'stronger' than something else.....well....
Timonator
yeah i have almost 900 hours. Love to play PvP and i am trying to get rank 3 soon i am working on it. Full skills unlocked in prophecies campaign and i am now trying to achieve that in Factions aswel
corridor_writers
Timonator wrote:
yeah i have almost 900 hours. Love to play PvP and i am trying to get rank 3 soon i am working on it. Full skills unlocked in prophecies campaign and i am now trying to achieve that in Factions aswel

So - Ive never played PVP in the game. It always seemed to be just the 'same-old-same-old.' I wanted something with a plot and a storyline. However, I am hearing from more and more people that PVP is great.

So I find myself wondering - What makes it so great?
GW_Addict
I have tried PVP a couple of times - generally during the holidays when they have PVP activities. The PVP area on the battle isles (actually it's not PVP so much as your team against the computer) really teached you how to use effective builds. The scrimages and guild battles can be fun too.

That said, I have not really gotten into PVP much either, for the same reasons you point out. That, and how you use the character and the skill-sets are a LOT different. Take Healing Breeze for example. This skill is a staple skill in the PVE game, but wil get you killed by a mesmer or necro pretty quick in the PVP arena.

Anwyay, I guess I would be curious to hear what makes PVP so great too.
Ghost900
I have done PvP for factions and then make money from that so that is the only reson I do it Very Happy You can make 800gc per PvP if you are good!
Tasa
The way PvP is done in GW is so much differant then in most online games It takes a lot of skill and practice and a total new way of thinking like addict said. I do take the time to do it from time to time. I suck but my guild nows it and does a lot to help me get better. I think that is the key to having lots of fin with the PvP is a guild that will help you learn and not tear you down when you are learning.
corridor_writers
Ghost900 wrote:
I have done PvP for factions and then make money from that so that is the only reson I do it Very Happy You can make 800gc per PvP if you are good!

So - how does one go about earning this money then?
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
The way PvP is done in GW is so much differant then in most online games It takes a lot of skill and practice and a total new way of thinking like addict said. I do take the time to do it from time to time. I suck but my guild nows it and does a lot to help me get better. I think that is the key to having lots of fin with the PvP is a guild that will help you learn and not tear you down when you are learning.

Wow - sounds like I need to spend some more time in this area of the game, though I am not sure about the help from the Guild. My guild is very small.

So, is your very large? Is it primarily a PVP guild? Or is both? Or just so huge that you can do anything? I have been rather bummed that I cannot do more things as a Guild.

I really want to try those guild scrimmages. That looks like a blast. But when there is never more than three guild members on at a time….well, it makes it a little impossible.

Maybe I need to find a new guild.......
GW_Addict
A note on guild sizes (though I am curious to see what Tasa's answers are as well) - I think you can go too far either way - either too small or too large.

Too small and you have the problems you described above. Too large and you have such a disconnect between guild members that you cannot ever seem to get anything together.

All in all though I would rather have the latter “too big” than not enough.
corridor_writers
GW_Addict wrote:
A note on guild sizes (though I am curious to see what Tasa's answers are as well) - I think you can go too far either way - either too small or too large.

Too small and you have the problems you described above. Too large and you have such a disconnect between guild members that you cannot ever seem to get anything together.

All in all though I would rather have the latter “too big” than not enough.

So your saying it’s time to finds a new guild Smile There is never anybody on in our Guild. Though I must admit I have become very adept at using henchmen to accomplish things.
selim06
Yeah,I've heard some about this game!That may be the best point about this game you do NOT fight with animal(or creatures) in general it seems like a PVP game I mean Player vs Player..I hate Player vs Animal games like KO!
And that's another good point the Patches can be played alone.I mean if you only buy Factions you can play it,it doesn't require the Guild!
Anyway I may buy it.It depends on my pocket Very Happy
Ghost900
corridor_writers wrote:
Ghost900 wrote:

You get 1250 Luxon/Kurzicks if you win the the Alliance Battle round.

You can go to Cavalon/House Zu Helter and get one Jade/Amber for every 1000 Luzon/Kurzick factions you have then you sell the Jade/Amber for 700-1000 gold and that is how you make alot of money.
corridor_writers
Ghost900 wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:
Ghost900 wrote:

You get 1250 Luxon/Kurzicks if you win the the Alliance Battle round.

You can go to Cavalon/House Zu Helter and get one Jade/Amber for every 1000 Luzon/Kurzick factions you have then you sell the Jade/Amber for 700-1000 gold and that is how you make alot of money.

Aha! This is good to know. But when you trade a piece of jade or Amber for 1000 faction points, it actually takes 2000, 1000 from both Kurzick and Luxon. Still worthwhile I suppose, at least until the market is flooded with Jade and Amber. Smile
GW_Addict
That’s a LOT of fighting and work for a couple thousand gold though. There are areas of the game (Sorrows Furnace in the original, and the Forests and Jade Sea in Factions) that you can gain upwards of 5K per excursion, spending (I would dare say) less time then trying to win PvP games.

Not to knock that as a way to get money though – still good to know.
edwenfan
I love this game! I was hooked on EverQuest for a while, then I turned to Star Wars Galaxies and fell in love with its graphics. I had to stop playing Star Wars because of its monthly bill ($15+ I think) and I became unactive in online games for many months.

When Guild Wars Factions came out, I was psyched! It had decent graphics and had no fees of any kind besides purchasing the game at the store. I now play GW almost everyday (or try to). I am an officer of the guild, Storm Ryders (SR), and I own four characters, 1 nec (my main), 1 monk (my second main), 1 mesmer, and 1 ranger. I would purchase more character slots if they weren't so expensive, but I need to set some limits on my gameplay or I'll get too crazy. Very Happy
tehk
Guild Wars is an amazing game for $50. I've spent many hours into the game and I've finished the storyline on severeal characters and have stocked up on (GW players will know this) Fissure Armors (with an S!), lots of gold, Ectoplasms, perfect weapons (not braggin' but my Ranger has over 15 PERFECT bows lol), and such heh.

Although I do not play it anymore, reasons being because the game requires a lot more ram these days due to the frequent updates, and it got boring for me. I've tried World Of Warcraft and I do not like it. For WoW you have to invest MANY MANY MANY hours into the game AND you have to pay a monthly fee as oppose to Guild Wars where everything is pretty neutral and you can have loads of fun when you first start the game.

Another thing for GW players lol:
I played a large role (along with a guild member of mine) for the "Underworld Farming" revolution after "nerfings" of skills and the update with "dying nightmares". Boy, I got TONS of ectoplasms and monies from that Smile.

P.S. Talking about all this kinda makes me want to play, but the game is uninstalled on my computer.. Oh well lol
carlokes
One game that made me play it like theres no tomorrow was diablo2 and it only ended when Guild Wars came out. GW is a fantastic MMO and people tend to fall in a huge mistake that is to assume that GW is about PvE. Nothing is more wrong than that because the real fun of the game is the PvP which gave the game the title of best MMO PvP.
Glaxx
I've been playing GW for 14 months, and I can't stop. Laughing
Tasa
corridor_writers wrote:
Tasa wrote:

Wow - sounds like I need to spend some more time in this area of the game, though I am not sure about the help from the Guild. My guild is very small.

So, is your very large? Is it primarily a PVP guild? Or is both? Or just so huge that you can do anything? I have been rather bummed that I cannot do more things as a Guild.

I really want to try those guild scrimmages. That looks like a blast. But when there is never more than three guild members on at a time….well, it makes it a little impossible.

Maybe I need to find a new guild.......

Sorry about the delay. I have had some RL stuff that has taken me away from the computer and anyway I am back, at least where the fourms are concerned. Although i have had a chance to play GW in a few months. As to my guild the way they do it is split it up into multple guilds to keep the differant play types in contact with each other the allinace system made it that much easier. Anyway here is the site http://deathdiamonds.com/
Ghengis
I got GW shortly after it came out 'cause everybody always talks about MMORPGs, but I never wanted to shell out for the monthly fees. I thought, "Here's a chance to get into the 'scene' without breaking the bank." W-R-O-N-G. GW is *not* an MMORPG, and I wish I hadn't spent 50 bucks finding that out. It's actually a 3D over-the-shoulder Diablo clone, only with much worse pacing and more social features. I guess what I discovered is, I'm not a particularly social gamer Wink

If you want to go be in a clan, this is a pretty good game for you -- just don't expect the endless variation you'll find in a WoW or EQ. For my money, I'd rather have something with the replay/extension value of a Half-Life or HL2.
Tasa
So the offical release date for chapter 3 was put out today by Arenanet. here

Now it says the collectors edtion will contain the following

Quote:
Guild Wars Nightfall will be available in both Standard and Collector's Editions. The highly-coveted, limited run, Collector's Edition will include the Guild Wars Nightfall game as well as a Making of Guild Wars Nightfall behind-the-scenes DVD, a collector's art book, collectible skill pins, a character mini-standee, a poster-sized map of Elona, the Guild Wars Nightfall soundtrack CD, and more.

I am just wondering what a character mini standee is. Anyone know?
corridor_writers
tehk wrote:
Guild Wars is an amazing game for $50. I've spent many hours into the game and I've finished the storyline on severeal characters and have stocked up on (GW players will know this) Fissure Armors (with an S!), lots of gold, Ectoplasms, perfect weapons (not braggin' but my Ranger has over 15 PERFECT bows lol), and such heh.

Although I do not play it anymore, reasons being because the game requires a lot more ram these days due to the frequent updates, and it got boring for me. I've tried World Of Warcraft and I do not like it. For WoW you have to invest MANY MANY MANY hours into the game AND you have to pay a monthly fee as oppose to Guild Wars where everything is pretty neutral and you can have loads of fun when you first start the game.

Another thing for GW players lol:
I played a large role (along with a guild member of mine) for the "Underworld Farming" revolution after "nerfings" of skills and the update with "dying nightmares". Boy, I got TONS of ectoplasms and monies from that Smile.

P.S. Talking about all this kinda makes me want to play, but the game is uninstalled on my computer.. Oh well lol

OK, now I am curious. I am rather a novice player myself, but am familar with the Underworld (only been down a couple of times though) and the items you mentioned. What I don't know is what you are talking about is this "Underworld Farming Revolution" and "dying nightmares". Can you please enlighten me and the other not-so-hard-core players? Smile))

Also, if you want to sell your GW account, I know of a few friends who would be interested. Smile
Ghengis
I thought you weren't allowed to sell GW accounts?
Tasa
Ghengis wrote:
I thought you weren't allowed to sell GW accounts?

You are not, but it happens. Personal I say what is the point you are going to end up pay a lot fo money and you can go pick up chapter one and chapter two for under $30 now each. And then wait this is a novel idea. "Play the game" wow.

Not to mention the chance for scam. You send the money and they send either a fake password or login and change the password before you do.

I never understood the idea of buy and selling accounts.
Ghengis
I seem to remember from back when I first started playing that their docs said they thought that their design would reduce the incentive to sell accounts. I don't remember GW having lots of "rare" items ("the Giant Floobar Beast and get a 3% chance of dropping the Magic Hood of Woozarble!!"), so unless that's changed the most you can get out of "buying" a character is a lot of money. Again unless it's changed since I last played, you have the option of creating a maxed-out-level character right from the start, so it's not like where EQ players sell their "LVL 65 RANGER $250". I just don't get it.
corridor_writers
Ghengis wrote:
I seem to remember from back when I first started playing that their docs said they thought that their design would reduce the incentive to sell accounts. I don't remember GW having lots of "rare" items ("the Giant Floobar Beast and get a 3% chance of dropping the Magic Hood of Woozarble!!"), so unless that's changed the most you can get out of "buying" a character is a lot of money. Again unless it's changed since I last played, you have the option of creating a maxed-out-level character right from the start, so it's not like where EQ players sell their "LVL 65 RANGER $250". I just don't get it.

Good point guys. I will tell my friend to buy his own account and play his own game. Smile

On that same note....one of my biggest gripes with other games is going to e-bay and buying gold. Arggg....

So, I guess my comment about buying the account was ill-fitted for me. Smile
Tasa
So anet has released the details of the two editions of nightfall as well as some of the feture updateds here

Some of the more intriging things in my mind. The new hero panel where you can set yourself and your hero allies up. Including saving your skill bar for quick switch on skills. Which is great and about time.

I also liked the idea of these heros that follow you around not sure how they will work, but from what I have gathered they are just custom henchies hopefully with better AIs. But being able to grab a stance warrior or a prot monk of even a MM when you need them would be great.

So what does everyone else think of the update
carlokes
Hi guys,

Check out some new skills from Nightfall expansion on the official site of Guild Wars. They are awesome.

Nightfall is goto change all the GvG very deeply...it will be truly fantastic.

Im a great addict of GvG and my guild is actually well ranked (lets say...top 250) abd im really anxious for this new chapter Smile
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
So anet has released the details of the two editions of nightfall as well as some of the feture updateds here

Some of the more intriging things in my mind. The new hero panel where you can set yourself and your hero allies up. Including saving your skill bar for quick switch on skills. Which is great and about time.

I also liked the idea of these heros that follow you around not sure how they will work, but from what I have gathered they are just custom henchies hopefully with better AIs. But being able to grab a stance warrior or a prot monk of even a MM when you need them would be great.

So what does everyone else think of the update

Man and I thought I was exited for Factions – this is awesome!

As much as I love this game one of my biggest gripes has been the inability to control the henchmen and their skills. With any luck they can do a roll-up and implement some of these features in the prophecies and factions campaigns.

Saving your skill bar for your favorite builds would be grand-slam too. Woot!

Now all they need to do if figure out a way that the person who forms a party in PvE can kick somebody (or vote them out.)
corridor_writers
carlokes wrote:
Hi guys,

Check out some new skills from Nightfall expansion on the official site of Guild Wars. They are awesome.

Nightfall is goto change all the GvG very deeply...it will be truly fantastic.

Im a great addict of GvG and my guild is actually well ranked (lets say...top 250) abd im really anxious for this new chapter Smile

carlokes - I've got a question for you. I've got a guild with a fair amount of people in it - the only problem is that there are only a few of us hard-core players. On that note, the two-or-three of us who are hard-core are very, very good players, and work well in teams. Unfortunately because the rest of the guild is so inactive though we never get to experience the GvG, something I am very bummed about.

If you would like a couple of good players looking for a guild to fight with, would you be interested in an alliance? We are allied (in Factions) currently with the Luxons.
gr3gg3r
I've heard some things about this game, but I'm still hesitatant to go out and purchase it myself. I play WoW right now, and I hate the fact that I have to pay for it monthly. This sounds great that you don't have to pay.

But is it really worth it? Does it have a lot of replay value and can you really get into it? How much PVP is really in it? And can you upgrade on the level that WoW provides?

Just a few questions of my own before I go out and pay for this game. Although so far I have heard several good things. Which is good. =)
Tasa
gr3gg3r wrote:
I've heard some things about this game, but I'm still hesitatant to go out and purchase it myself. I play WoW right now, and I hate the fact that I have to pay for it monthly. This sounds great that you don't have to pay.

But is it really worth it? Does it have a lot of replay value and can you really get into it? How much PVP is really in it? And can you upgrade on the level that WoW provides?

Just a few questions of my own before I go out and pay for this game. Although so far I have heard several good things. Which is good. =)

You can NOT compare this game to WoW they are total differant.

Is it worth it yes. I have been playing the same two characters now for almost a year plenty of replay value and well worth the $50 to get a chapter. As to PvP it is a big focus of the game but not like WoW you will never get randomly attacked. PvP is more of a focus on two teams ready for battle entering battle. It is a true challange. Unlike when I play WoW and get jumped by a bunch of lvl 60s when I am lvl 20.

Armour unpgrade is nothing like WoW. GW is not a item based game. It is about the skill. Take Factions it is possible to get max armour shortly after leaving newbie island. And the runes to upgrade the armour are not hard to come by. Max damage good weapons are a little harder to find, but you will have them before the game is half over. So basicly if you are looking for a free replacement to WoW keep looking GW is not it. If you are looking for a great game with a lot of replay value welcome aboard.
Commando_Sondre
Well, on something you can compare WoW and GW. But in total, not at all. Both have a vast territory to explore and both are forcusing on PvP (?). But overall, I like GW a lot better then WoW. When you reach level 60 in WoW you have to spend like 2-3 hours a day (almost) just to keep up your ranks, do quests with your guild etc. In GW its up to you, you can go PvP or just run around and kill monsters.

And the way the games are telling the story are totaly different, WoW is after the great war (I think I'm wrong, please correct me) but in GW you are the hero in the history...

But, although, I'm waiting for AoC!
bluet
i dont mind
Ghost900
I played WoW for a little bit as an Undead Mage and it was fun but I am more of a GW type gamer.

The thing about WOW is that everybody in the world is fighting on the same area and killing the same enemies.

Guild Wars has cities and you can pick up a group of a max of 8 people and then go to the world and it is just the eight of you and when enemies die they don't re-appear.

GW Graphics are way better than WOW too (I think WOW has very cartoon type drawing.)

GW = Guild Wars Very Happy
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
gr3gg3r wrote:

Is it worth it yes. I have been playing the same two characters now for almost a year plenty of replay value and well worth the $50 to get a chapter. As to PvP it is a big focus of the game but not like WoW you will never get randomly attacked. PvP is more of a focus on two teams ready for battle entering battle. It is a true challange. Unlike when I play WoW and get jumped by a bunch of lvl 60s when I am lvl 20.

Armour unpgrade is nothing like WoW. GW is not a item based game. It is about the skill. Take Factions it is possible to get max armour shortly after leaving newbie island. And the runes to upgrade the armour are not hard to come by. Max damage good weapons are a little harder to find, but you will have them before the game is half over. So basicly if you are looking for a free replacement to WoW keep looking GW is not it. If you are looking for a great game with a lot of replay value welcome aboard.

Wow – I don’t think I could have said that better…..

I whole-heartedly agree. I have a lot of friends who play WoW, Lineage, and Everquest (which those of us who play Guild Wars refer to as EverCrack, as it’s like a drug – a rather addictive and expensive habit. Smile

My choice is definitely Guild Wars. The low cost of playing more than makes up for the level and item/armor caps in the game. Again, the game focuses on skill, not overwhelming power (though I must admit I sometimes like that too. Smile

I’ve put over 1000 hours into the game over the last 18 months and have still not done everything there is to do in the original (Prophecies) and second (Factions) chapters.

On that note; I have paid $100 for over 1000 hours of awesome game time over the last 18 months. I would challenge any WoW, EverCrack, Lineage, Dark Age of Camelot, or any other online game similar to these to beat that. Smile
Tasa
corridor_writers wrote:
Tasa wrote:
gr3gg3r wrote:

Wow – I don’t think I could have said that better…..

I whole-heartedly agree. I have a lot of friends who play WoW, Lineage, and Everquest (which those of us who play Guild Wars refer to as EverCrack, as it’s like a drug – a rather addictive and expensive habit. Smile

My choice is definitely Guild Wars. The low cost of playing more than makes up for the level and item/armor caps in the game. Again, the game focuses on skill, not overwhelming power (though I must admit I sometimes like that too. Smile

I’ve put over 1000 hours into the game over the last 18 months and have still not done everything there is to do in the original (Prophecies) and second (Factions) chapters.

On that note; I have paid $100 for over 1000 hours of awesome game time over the last 18 months. I would challenge any WoW, EverCrack, Lineage, Dark Age of Camelot, or any other online game similar to these to beat that. Smile

Thank you very much.

Of course it is funny that people always use price as a reason to play GW true it has no monthly membership fees but with the expansions coming out every 6 months you will end up paying $100 a year for the game. Where as WoW and the likes if you pay for the game 6 months in advance they give you a discount so you would be paying only $120 a year only a $20 saving. And if you buy the collectors edition well then GW can cost you more.

Of course the good thing about GW is you do not have to buy the updates. The reason I prefer GW over others is the fact that it does have such a low level cap and that a mx damage weapon is so easy to get. It is not about the items it is about the skill of the player. It always sucked in games when someone is better the you cause they went a bought an uber item off ebay. I am not saying people don't buy gold of ebay for GW, just the best they can do is get expensive items that do the same damage as the item that anyone can get from a collector.
Kiandoshi
I stopped playing the game after about 3 months, I have tons of gold and some really good weapons still though lol. I found the game to be pretty nice in all area's, I liked alot about the game. Though here are some things I did not like about the game.

Far to many load screens. Often got the short end of the stick on quests with more than 3 people along. Played most of the game with only the npc's Didnt like the fact that you couldnt randomly run into someone out in the quest world, I thought that was the biggest flaw, and a pretty dumb one at that. lots of people in town, but you never run into them out in the field, now that sucks. From what I've seen and heard of WoW, its far superior. Let me know if any of you want all my gold and weapons from guild wars, I'll let it go for a favor of some kind, got probably...300,000 gold, I think. Anyways. Ok game, could have been far better.
Tasa
Kiandoshi wrote:
I stopped playing the game after about 3 months, I have tons of gold and some really good weapons still though lol. I found the game to be pretty nice in all area's, I liked alot about the game. Though here are some things I did not like about the game.

Far to many load screens. Often got the short end of the stick on quests with more than 3 people along. Played most of the game with only the npc's Didnt like the fact that you couldnt randomly run into someone out in the quest world, I thought that was the biggest flaw, and a pretty dumb one at that. lots of people in town, but you never run into them out in the field, now that sucks. From what I've seen and heard of WoW, its far superior. Let me know if any of you want all my gold and weapons from guild wars, I'll let it go for a favor of some kind, got probably...300,000 gold, I think. Anyways. Ok game, could have been far better.

You are making the comparason of fools compare WoW to GW. They can not be compared they are not really the same type of game. And where you never played WoW at all you may not even think it is better. I have played WoW good game nothing like GW. But as to your faults those of us that enjoy the game like those features. I hate waiting in line to finish a quest, like often times you do in WoW. I also hate that in order to do a raid you have to spend a lot of time with GW a mission is at most an hour.
Maryndor
Yeah, the GW is way different in gameply thank WoW. Unfortunately it is also a little simplified than WoW. Anyway, I hope that developers will keep on their promise and will keep GW without month taxes. That is the big plus for the GW game. Wink
corridor_writers
Maryndor wrote:
Yeah, the GW is way different in gameply thank WoW. Unfortunately it is also a little simplified than WoW. Anyway, I hope that developers will keep on their promise and will keep GW without month taxes. That is the big plus for the GW game. Wink

It's hard to disagree with anybody on these last few points – there are some pro’s and cons with GW, AND with WoW. I do think that price point is important, especially if you have a ‘significant other’ who worries about money. As odd as it sounds, it is actually sometimes easier to spend $50 at one time for a 6-month period of time than $12 a month.

I think every game has it’s appeals, and many take ideas from the other and either make them better, or in the case of GW make them more appealing to a different market. It is also an interesting fact that the founders of GW came from Blizzard…..who makes WoW.

I only hope they were not the team who was supposed to finish Starcraft 2….. Smile))
Sarinoff
I usually play WoW but when i cant i get on GW. I remember when it first came out and there were tons of people on. Now im lucky if i can get a group to really do anything interesting. I mainly get stuck helping out lower levels when im on. Course in my guild on WoW that happens to but i am lvl 57 in that guild.
shuoaini
I don't know how long I spent playing this game (frankly, I don't want to know). Must be like 1000+ hours....haha. Anyways, I highly recommend Guild Wars to anybody with the time to play a mmorpg. You'll never get bored of it. The weapons and armor sets are CRAZZZZZY cool. They look sweet on every character. I used to play just to get these eye candies. There are also expansions coming out left and right for this game (they just released Factions, and now Nightfall is about to come out). The world is constantly being updated and added to. If you want a game thats free to play (once you buy the game, you wont have to pay again), Guild Wars is definitely a sure bet. Very Happy
Tasa
So with nightfall less then a week to coming out what are your plans?

Personal I plan to take the boat over with my older characters so they have access maybe buy a few of the skills and then create a paragon and take my time through the story enjoy it and just have fun after that I will quickly get my other characters over so I have access to everything with all of them. Them maybe do a dervish, buy then chapter 4 should be coming out and I can do it all over again with a new story.
corridor_writers
shuoaini wrote:
I don't know how long I spent playing this game (frankly, I don't want to know). Must be like 1000+ hours....haha. Anyways, I highly recommend Guild Wars to anybody with the time to play a mmorpg. You'll never get bored of it. The weapons and armor sets are CRAZZZZZY cool. They look sweet on every character. I used to play just to get these eye candies. There are also expansions coming out left and right for this game (they just released Factions, and now Nightfall is about to come out). The world is constantly being updated and added to. If you want a game thats free to play (once you buy the game, you wont have to pay again), Guild Wars is definitely a sure bet. Very Happy

So, here is something to do..... he he
Open the chat bar and 9as you would for an emote) type /age
This wil tell you how long that player has been on, as well as all players across accounts.

When I last checked this I about fell out of my chair. Lets just say it was way over 1000 hours as well. Smile))
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
So with nightfall less then a week to coming out what are your plans?

Personal I plan to take the boat over with my older characters so they have access maybe buy a few of the skills and then create a paragon and take my time through the story enjoy it and just have fun after that I will quickly get my other characters over so I have access to everything with all of them. Them maybe do a dervish, buy then chapter 4 should be coming out and I can do it all over again with a new story.

Oh yea. I will be creating both a Dervish and a Paragon so that I can enjoy the plot and storyline with these characters. Then I will also be bringing over my other characters.

I am already very, very exited with the changes I have seen so far. You can manage your henchmen and give them commands (finnaly!!!!) and save/load your favorite builds to a character (woot!!!)

In fact, I have already notived a ton of little things that are new that they did not even advertise. For example, when you get hit and take damage, not only does the damage show up ina cooler 'font' style, but the skill that did the damage pops up in a little box next to it. In fact, if you die it leaves the skills up on your screen that killed you (an awesome learning tool in my opinion.)

And, for anybody who wants to know more, you should check this URL out:

http://www.guildwars.com/support/gamecontents/nightfall/
Tasa
So nightfall has been out for about a month now, and I have to say I am very happy with it in fact I think it is better then the first two chapters. This is not to say it is perfect, but it is a great game. I have already played one character through the game and am working on getting 2 or 3 of my old characters through and a new one as well.

The heros add a nice level to the game giving you the chance make a nice team build that was not possible before. The additions of insignias make if I need to change my build instead of going through and remaking my armour to get the new benifits which would cost me at least 1.5k I just buy an insignia which is about 200-300 gold.

The story is great. It is like a great epic fantasy novel righ to the end. Which I will not go into details so as to not ruin it for anyone else.

Now there are a few things I am not happy with. But overall it is a great game and a major step in the right direction for the guildwars games.
shuicao
I love this game. In this game, you can only win PvP with skills and teamwork.
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
So nightfall has been out for about a month now, and I have to say I am very happy with it in fact I think it is better then the first two chapters. This is not to say it is perfect, but it is a great game. I have already played one character through the game and am working on getting 2 or 3 of my old characters through and a new one as well.

The heros add a nice level to the game giving you the chance make a nice team build that was not possible before. The additions of insignias make if I need to change my build instead of going through and remaking my armour to get the new benifits which would cost me at least 1.5k I just buy an insignia which is about 200-300 gold.

The story is great. It is like a great epic fantasy novel righ to the end. Which I will not go into details so as to not ruin it for anyone else.

Now there are a few things I am not happy with. But overall it is a great game and a major step in the right direction for the guildwars games.

I could not agree more. The graphics and game play get better with each new 'chapter' and the plots/storylines do too. Out of everything they changed though the two things I love most are the fact that you can have hero's that you can equipt and set skills for. I also love the fact that you can now save your favorite builds, as well as using them for templates to change your hero's builds and secondary profession! It is also very nice to be able to keep your henchment under better control by ordering them to points on the map.

Oops, thats three. Oh well. Smile

Awesome game! And I have not even finshed it yet!
flushopop
Yes;) Nighfall must be the best of them!
i've been playing GW for over a half year, and i'd never reached lv. 20 Laughing but i'm not a GW geek either, but it's a nice game;)
Tasa
flushopop wrote:
i've been playing GW for over a half year, and i'd never reached lv. 20 Laughing but i'm not a GW geek either, but it's a nice game;)

You never reached lvl 20? Chapter 1 maybe 20 hours of play chapter 2 5 hours top level 20, capter 3 can be done in 10 hours and that is taking your time.
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
flushopop wrote:

You never reached lvl 20? Chapter 1 maybe 20 hours of play chapter 2 5 hours top level 20, capter 3 can be done in 10 hours and that is taking your time.

I agree with reaching level 20 in 2 hours for chapter 2 and 3 in chapter three, but 20 in chapter 1? No way. It's more like 6. Wink
Tasa
corridor_writers wrote:
Tasa wrote:
flushopop wrote:

I agree with reaching level 20 in 2 hours for chapter 2 and 3 in chapter three, but 20 in chapter 1? No way. It's more like 6. Wink

Laughing I have not made a character in chapter 1 in so long.
tallexander
I bought it a few weeks agon... ITS WORTH 50$ fantastic game Very Happy
Tasa
tallexander wrote:
I bought it a few weeks agon... ITS WORTH 50$ fantastic game Very Happy

Which chapter did you get?
SGbilder
Hi! i just have to agree! its an awsome game worth every dollar! and if u compare it to other games out there in the mmorpg it is pretty cheap since you dont get any monthly fees!
so go out and buy it! its absolutely worth it!
cheers!
corridor_writers
Anywone made it into the far North of nightfall? There are Wyrms (THink of the worms in Dune) that you can ride and control! It's freaking awesome!!!
Seiji
This game is very good. I think it is a lot easier than games like WoW and Everquest. There is also no monthly fee and the game keeps updating itself.
Tasa
Seiji wrote:
This game is very good. I think it is a lot easier than games like WoW and Everquest. There is also no monthly fee and the game keeps updating itself.

I would not say that game is easier then WoW or EQ, in same ways yes like getting high end gear. In GW it is easy and not having max armour or weapons is unheard of later in the game unless you are doing a speacial build. But in other ways the game in a lot harder setting up that perfect combomation of skills and atr takes time and planning and some of the higher end areas such as DoA will make your head exploded with how hard it is.
corridor_writers
Tasa wrote:
Seiji wrote:

I would not say that game is easier then WoW or EQ, in same ways yes like getting high end gear. In GW it is easy and not having max armour or weapons is unheard of later in the game unless you are doing a speacial build. But in other ways the game in a lot harder setting up that perfect combomation of skills and atr takes time and planning and some of the higher end areas such as DoA will make your head exploded with how hard it is.

I completely agree. I have more friends that play EverQuest or WoW than I do friends that play Guild Wars. Some of them started with GW and moved over to one of the others, while some came from EQ or WoW, tried GW, and went back.

Why you ask? All of them had the same complaint, that they could not build a super-high level character that had substantially better levels, gear, and weapons than the average player.

Me – I don’t ever plan on playing these other online games. I am the first to admit that the level cap in GW was frustrating to me as well, but over time it became clear that the focus of the game is in the skills and your personal experience, not the characters. Also, not constantly searching for the next-best item allows you more time to enjoy the storyline and immerse yourself into the games plot.
Keydar
Its so sad that i won the game. After 500 hours. Tried PvP, but after all, i got bored...
corridor_writers
Keydar wrote:
Its so sad that i won the game. After 500 hours. Tried PvP, but after all, i got bored...

You have beaten all three (original and two expansions) portions of the game? I guess with only one character you can do this in 500 Hours, but the game play changes a lot for each character. I have ten characters. Some have gone further than others, but not all have beaten every part.

In fact, I have an officer in my guild that has played for over 1500 hours and has not yet beaten all three with all of her characters.
flameboy1974
I've been on this game from day one when it was released. I have both expansions and when I get bored of a char I delete them and start again. WARNING...very addictive. I can't...stop...playing....
ok end of post. I have to go play Guild wars
corridor_writers
flameboy1974 wrote:
I've been on this game from day one when it was released. I have both expansions and when I get bored of a char I delete them and start again. WARNING...very addictive. I can't...stop...playing....
ok end of post. I have to go play Guild wars

lol - so then, are you a PvP addict or a PvE Addict?

Second question - how many hours on your acount now? Smile:

(Just type /age)

Smile
corridor_writers
Sigh... this topic got a bit quite. I have just recently jumped back into Nightfall, and am nearing the last area with my monk. I must say that some of the missions at this point in Nightfall are every bit as bad as a couple of the areas at the ends of the other two editions. (Prophecies and Factions. Smile
corridor_writers
GUILD WARS 2! SO - what do you think? I hust read the artciles in PC Gamer magazine (as well as getting the new miniature) and I have to say - at first I was worried that they would drop a perfectly awesome game; but now I think that Guild Wars 2 will be the ultimate combination of all of the awesome stuff Guild Wars is now, as well as all of the stuff it could be as well.

Opinion?
ShawnKelfonne
corridor_writers wrote:
GUILD WARS 2! SO - what do you think? I hust read the artciles in PC Gamer magazine (as well as getting the new miniature) and I have to say - at first I was worried that they would drop a perfectly awesome game; but now I think that Guild Wars 2 will be the ultimate combination of all of the awesome stuff Guild Wars is now, as well as all of the stuff it could be as well.

Opinion?

I'm excited for it. Sad to see that parties of henchmen seem to be falling away though, because part of what was nice about the original was being able to play the game on my own if friends weren't around.
carlokes
Hi there,

Guild Wars 2....I ahve to say that the first time I heard that i thought....well gw2 is coming out in 2009 and although im a huge player of gw i think i'll stop playing gw at 2009. however, the more i hear about it, the more im curious...well i do know now that i will not be able to stop playinggw and gw2 afterwards.

Stay COol!!
Telnven
Firstly, I best start by saying I found an article on the Official Guild Wars Site discussing the State of the Game (post title).

Anyway lets get down to the point: after some of the recent updates I thought to myself that I must post about the recent nerf imposed on Necromancers (you gotta love ‘em), I’ve always enjoyed playing as a MM but now its become such a drag. The recent nerf on Soul Reaping has made what was an enjoyable experience, painfully tedious.

I’m still unsure as to what ArenaNet thought they were doing by nerfing this attribute. My friend, Van Harl seems to think that it was because “Minion masters are overpowered”, I do agree that a MM is powerful but it isn’t easy being one - therefore it is right that they should be so.
corridor_writers
Telnven wrote:
Firstly, I best start by saying I found an article on the Official Guild Wars Site discussing the State of the Game (post title).

Anyway lets get down to the point: after some of the recent updates I thought to myself that I must post about the recent nerf imposed on Necromancers (you gotta love ‘em), I’ve always enjoyed playing as a MM but now its become such a drag. The recent nerf on Soul Reaping has made what was an enjoyable experience, painfully tedious.

I’m still unsure as to what ArenaNet thought they were doing by nerfing this attribute. My friend, Van Harl seems to think that it was because “Minion masters are overpowered”, I do agree that a MM is powerful but it isn’t easy being one - therefore it is right that they should be so.

GW2 looks great and, while I am exited for it – I am also left wondering what will happen to the original GW. Will they leave the servers up? Will we be able to keep playing it after GW2 is out, or will they do away with it and destroy my thousands of hours of work.

And while this is a little off topic from the GW2 release, I am also very, very curious. How did they nerf the Soul Reaping? I know they limited the amount of Minions you can have, but what did they do to the Soul Reaping? (I am a HUGE fan of MM’s and have two of my own. Smile
Bromine
Guild Wars looks like a sweet game. I like how it is free to play online. I could not imagine playing WoW and having to spend so much money a month!
mansonivan
yeah is a great online game ever. will make u addicted to it. i love this game.
Senshida
GuildWars 2 sounds better than the originals. I just hope I can run it on my computer. (It already lags when I go into a city in Factions)
corridor_writers
Senshida wrote:
GuildWars 2 sounds better than the originals. I just hope I can run it on my computer. (It already lags when I go into a city in Factions)

Yea - you can bet that with a couple of years to develop and release Guild Wars 2 that it will be INSANE in terms of resources needed - especially graphics!
Packfan104L4
I don't know. I'm kind of skeptical about the new GW. I'm interested, but not sure if Im going to like the new system of play.
corridor_writers
Packfan104L4 wrote:
I don't know. I'm kind of skeptical about the new GW. I'm interested, but not sure if Im going to like the new system of play.

Really? What makes you say that? It sounds like the new system of oplay will be everything it is today PLUS ways of playing in open 'shared' instances the way games like WoW and Everquest are played.

I am just curious as to why you think the new system will not work.
divinitywolf
i'm looking forward to guild wars 2.
guild wars is amazing. you dont have monthly fees and its just truly awesome. addictive. Ive just started it but hopefully i'll get the other chapters and play for many more years.
corridor_writers
divinitywolf wrote:
i'm looking forward to guild wars 2.
guild wars is amazing. you dont have monthly fees and its just truly awesome. addictive. Ive just started it but hopefully i'll get the other chapters and play for many more years.

Agreed. I've got about 1500 hours invested into that game already. Smile
Guyon
Guild Wars is great. Unlike the other games like it once you buy it that is the only expense. Others you have to pay a month charge for the game.

Guild Wars also have many free added perks around the holidays, especially Christmas and Halloween. Lots of extrar fun things to do.

It is a great game and you get more for you money than any other one out there. So if you have not tired it, you will not be disappointed.

The only surprise you might find, is that after you played for a little you will find to get farther you will need help form others. that is OK because they will need you too. The game is build on team work, so if you are anti-social then forget it. Other wise you will make a lot of great friends, join a guild and have a super time. BTW if you don't like you guild quit it and find one with people that are more like you.

Enjoy!
Holy
If someone didn't already clear this up:

The CD is fifty dollars because of the fact that it is one of the few Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games that is free to play. Most other games charge money on a monthly basis. A lot of the games that you can download online that are Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Games have the choice of a free based account or a members account. The members account, of course, would offer more things (better & more weapons, more places to go, more monsters, more items, etc). Where as the free account would offer the more basic things. You can still have fun on the free account but if you upgrade to a members account you will probably have more stuff. Guild Wars though, thinking smart, decided to make the pay a one-time thing. This is actually a very good idea. Very Happy
corridor_writers
SO.....I have re-discovered Guild Wars in the Eye of the North Expansion. Here is a legitimate (ironically Arena Nets first and last) expansion to the game, in which I have had the opportunity to fall back in love with all of the things I likes in the first Prophecies game, as well as all of the neat new things they built into the expansion.

For any that may not have taken the time to play the expansion, I would highly recommend that they do so. (IMHO)
Guyon
I was looking at the Eye of the North Expansion, is it that good? Tell me why you like ti better then just Guild Wars Prophecies game.

I was also looking at Guild Wars Factions. The Assassin class looks fun, hope it will play as good as the box looks. I know , I know, the book and it's cover deal. But the first Guild Wars Prophecies game, was that good.

And who can argue with unlimited free play once you buy the game?
spykE
I thought I could try Eye Of The North two weeks ago or so with the public beta and maybe buy the game, but it seemed they only allowed existing players to join the public beta that weekend. I really wanted to try it out.
Patriot Players
I wouldnt call the games graphics "mad good" like the OP does, but its a decent game. Not on par with some of the others MMOs on the market, but for a game with no monthly fee what can you expect. Its more of a single player game that happens to be online than an MMO really. Fun to mess around with whenever you're bored of whatever MMO you are playing at the moment. PVP is pretty fun, the necro is a great class. It will be interesting to see how long ArenaNet can keep the business model going.
damn
i saw on ebuy this game on 10$ Smile but i didn't buy it.
corridor_writers
Guyon wrote:
I was looking at the Eye of the North Expansion, is it that good? Tell me why you like it better then just Guild Wars Prophecies game.

I was also looking at Guild Wars Factions. The Assassin class looks fun, hope it will play as good as the box looks. I know , I know, the book and it's cover deal. But the first Guild Wars Prophecies game, was that good.

And who can argue with unlimited free play once you buy the game?

Yes, it is that good. In addition to rich story content and fantastic graphics, it introduces elements that have not been seen before in Prophecies or Factions, and had only been touched on in Nightfall. Some of these are of course the Hero’s, which really make the game play more dynamic. Other things include the title tracks (where you can earn skills that don’t pertain to your primary or secondary class) as well as the ability to use these skills to summon creatures to fight for you (Summon Ice Imp, Mursaat, Assasin, etc.)

spykE wrote:
I thought I could try Eye Of The North two weeks ago or so with the public beta and maybe buy the game, but it seemed they only allowed existing players to join the public beta that weekend. I really wanted to try it out.

Yea, you had to have pre-ordered the game to play the trial ‘weekend’, which ironically makes it anything but a beta, as you generally don’t have to own a game to Beta test it. Smile
spykE
They should give out some trial keys, really wanna try it out Wink.
ZeroXD
i've actually wanted to pick up playing guild wars again, but would I be at too much a disadvantage if i'm missing all the expansion packs? I don't wanna have totally subpar equipment or missing some of the best skills.

Of course, i can buy all the expansion packs... i think it'd be way too overwhemling to handle all the new missions and stuff at once.

I guess my real question boils down to... can i play the game for awhile and not be a big burden to my teammates while i get reacquaintted with the game?
corridor_writers
spykE wrote:
They should give out some trial keys, really wanna try it out Wink.

I think I have a couple of trial keys. Let me find one and shoot it over to you.
corridor_writers
ZeroXD wrote:
i've actually wanted to pick up playing guild wars again, but would I be at too much a disadvantage if i'm missing all the expansion packs? I don't wanna have totally subpar equipment or missing some of the best skills.

Of course, i can buy all the expansion packs... i think it'd be way too overwhemling to handle all the new missions and stuff at once.

I guess my real question boils down to... can i play the game for awhile and not be a big burden to my teammates while i get reacquaintted with the game?

The biggest thing that the expansion packs give you is more skills. However, a lot of these skills are duplicated because they build each game to stand on its on. For example, healing Circle in the original prophecies campaign had a counterpart names something similar in Factions, which is in fact the exact same skill. Also, in Nightfall they introduced Heroes, but there are just as many (if not more) heroes in Eye of the North. This, coupled with the fact that you can only use three heroes at a time, means that you get plenty just from Eye of the North.

So, with these items in mind, you can easily jump right into Eye of the North (the only true expansion ever released for the game) without having lost anything from the other two games. In fact, I have characters from each game (Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall) who have never done the other two, and all are more than holding their own in Eye of the North.

Hope this answers your questions. Smile
corridor_writers
Anybody heard about the bonus mission pack? If you go to the site and read about the new bonus pack, it really sounds good. They are going back in time to create major battles and you get to
play the epic hero who won them. The catch is you have to spend something like $35 online to get it. (Though I would guess that after the deadline to get this 'free; with purchase, they sell it normally.)

Anyone on this post have this already? Is it worth it?
Hypnosan
I tried Guild Wars, which was lent to me by a friend, and despite it being a good looking game I just couldn't get into it.
corridor_writers
Hypnosan wrote:
I tried Guild Wars, which was lent to me by a friend, and despite it being a good looking game I just couldn't get into it.

What was it that you could not get into? Also, I am curious as to which of the three 'games' you tried. Was it Prohecies, Factions, or Nightfall?
corridor_writers
Good news…..ArenaNet (via the Guild Wars web site) is advertising the mission bonus pack, which costs is $9.99. I believe that this is the one that you got for free if you purchased $40 on other things. As I did not make this original purchase, I assumed I had lost our on this. Lucky me! These are the four that allow you to relive the major historical events, from the viewpoints of the heroes of that time.

Anybody done these yet? If so, what do you think?
corridor_writers
So, I wonder if the game itself is dying out, or just this post. I ask because I myself have played very little of it lately. In fact, I was off for so long it auto-demoted me as Guild Leader and promoted an officer in my place.

It's not that I have changed my mind about the game, and how much I love it, it's just a time thing.

Would anybody agree or disagree with this?