FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you keep your machine cool?

Tepelstreeltje
It is summer here in Holland. Not many of us here have air con. Yet we have summer. What are the inexpensive, environmental friendly way to keep your machines and hardware cool? Noting that we only have a few hot days in the year, spending money and space to install air con units is not always an option here.

I'd like to hear your suggestions. I am interested in environmentally friendly suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Sunny
In my opinion Fst thing you should do is to keep an eye on exhaust fan (behind your PC case)and CPU fan (which is inside the cabinet) are working fine. Depending on your bios/mainboard you might have an optiion in bios setup as "pc health status" or something where it shows all the temperatures, cpu fan speed etc, Also advanced options like shut down temperature etc.

I think if your cpu fan is working fine, you shouldnt worry about it too much. Just dont leave the pc on for long time unneccesarily.
James Bamfield
Water cooling is the answer not. Dont install a water unit my mate did burst all over his machine. Shocked messy. Lots if fans and get compound for your CPU. Way to use quick guide is to remove the cpu fan squirt a small amount on top and replace the fan do not do this if you are unsure as you will damage your computer. That will knock 10 to 20 degrees of the CPU temp. This is the stuff you want.http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermal_Materials_27.html
izcool
I recommend adding case fans wherever your computer case allows them to be mounted properly. This is common in the front and in the back, sometimes on the side and top on more advanced cases. I also recommend adding a PC Exhaust Blower (I have one in every one of my machines, it's a requirement now for me) that helps also. It's better to be safe than sorry with expensive computer equipment.

- Mike.
VicTor
I am from Israel, and here we have 8 months of hot (32 degrees) summer.

Although those conditions, nothing happens to my computers.

Computers should run well even in 45 degrees.

So, instead of thinking about the computers heating, enjoy the short summer in your country and go to the beach.... Very Happy
drpiga
Quote:
Computers should run well even in 45 degrees.

So, instead of thinking about the computers heating, enjoy the short summer in your country and go to the beach

This is very smart tough,agree if computer not yours but your enemy Wink
arcdigital
I would go with water cooling there are many good options, and you can evan get glow in the dark coolant and stuff. It is very efficient and you dont need to have that much expertise to install it.
Tasadduq Khan
hmmm
I use only the pc fan to cool my machinge. Smile though my computer is used too much but my pc fan works good for it. No need to get an extra machine to keep it cool. Smile
psycosquirrel
Watercooling is a very good option if you are willing to spend $100 (US) dollars or more. Personally, I reccommend going to a computer store and finding a fan with a high CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating. I have an upgraded heat sink on my computer (US $20), 2 180mm fans (US $5 each), and an 80mm fan that I salvaged and modded... It runs at an astounding .75A, with an airflow easily surpassing BOTH 120mm's combined (both are @.45A). Shocked Anyways, the third fan so loud it sounds like a jet engine, so I only turn it on when the temp gets too hot in the case. If you are in the US, I reccommend ordering fans online from www.pricewatch.com... They are crappy for anything but cheap parts, cases, fans and such (don't order a mobo or a gfx card from there, use www.newegg.com for that)
mr.e
The room my computer is in is quite cold so I don't worry too much, but some really hot summer days I will pull off the side and run a fan at a distance.
Mandrake
You can also build a fridge pc => http://www.overclockers.com/articles975/
Donutey
^^
condensation maybe? idk... you ever see the vege oil computer? that's good stuff...

watercooling is good... but for most systems air cooling can get as good as a cheap/middle of the road water cooled systems...

watercooling's best feature is very little noise (depending on how its designed tho)

most of the time the best thing you can do is to dust the inside of your system, or vacuum, but be VERY careful... i think dusting is enviromentally friendly AND free... lol
izcool
Donutey wrote:
^^
condensation maybe? idk... you ever see the vege oil computer? that's good stuff...

watercooling is good... but for most systems air cooling can get as good as a cheap/middle of the road water cooled systems...

watercooling's best feature is very little noise (depending on how its designed tho)

most of the time the best thing you can do is to dust the inside of your system, or vacuum, but be VERY careful... i think dusting is enviromentally friendly AND free... lol

Yup, dipping a computer in oil is one thing I'll never do, but I've seen many people who did it. Take a look at this one (of many) for instance.

http://metku.net/modgallery/detail.php?id=1056

- Mike.
gonzo
step 1: stop overclocking
step 2: seriously, stop overclocking
step 3: consider GeoThermal Heat Pumps

Here's some interesting reading

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/homeandwork/homes/inside/heatandcool/heatpumps.html
carlokes
I would say go for Water Cooling
It cooler and quiter and despite what you may hear it is safe if you mount it correctly.
Donutey
with watercooling you can sometimes use non conductive fluids... to completely minimize risk of leaks...

overclocking is fine, as long as you realize that if you break anything, you buy it... and you don't have any right to complain about it...
i'm a fan of moderate overclocking but that's just me Rolling Eyes

there have been people who have done geothermal cooling before and you can do a lot better with an off the shelf compressor system ... and itd be cheaper (relatively) too.
LN2 Woooo~
comsci18
use water cooler system with CPU , chipset , VGA card
and use a big fan in case
and use computer in cool room
Asylum
Vapor Cooling from www.vapochill.com

If you want to use fans they also have some good cpu fans ect.
JA1meerssen
buy a new fan or open your case to cool extra.
i had that problem too i am gonna search for a new fan.