FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HOME CINEMA

Bananamango
Hi
Anyone who has a homecinema - good quality but less price??
The price for my homecinema (Projector,5.1system,Xbox360 &PS3) was about
2500$ -
what gear do you use??
Afaceinthematrix
I would never spend that much money on the equipment; I'm not too materialistic. You can get a decent television for about $150. You can also get a DVD player for about $40. I'd much rather go cheap if I was going to invest in that type of stuff. It's honestly not worth it to me. I rarely watch movies and I don't play very many video games. I also can't tell the difference between a flat screen and non-flat screen, or an HD television and a regular one. They're all the same to me.
eday2010
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I would never spend that much money on the equipment; I'm not too materialistic. You can get a decent television for about $150. You can also get a DVD player for about $40. I'd much rather go cheap if I was going to invest in that type of stuff. It's honestly not worth it to me. I rarely watch movies and I don't play very many video games. I also can't tell the difference between a flat screen and non-flat screen, or an HD television and a regular one. They're all the same to me.

Haha! So you are living in the 90's and are blind! If you honestly don't know the difference between the old fashioned boxy CRT televisions and the thin widescreen HD televisions, then ther is something wrong, whether you mean picture quality or the actual physical TV.

Bananamango wasn't talking about low-end, run-of-the-mill, outdated junk like you mentioned. You don't create a home theatre with a cheap CRT and a no-name DVD player. He means the deal deal. Big screen, surround sound...something people who enjoy watching movies and sports appreciates.

Personally, I am still using old garbage, like Afaceinthematrix mentioned, excpt my DVD player is part of a home theatre system. When I do build a nice home theatre, I will definately be spending a few thousand dollars. The bigger the screen I can get, the better. HD Surround Sound and an HD player. If I can manage it, I'll get some cheap couches and cut the springs out of the seating and put some subwoofers in there instead so you not only hear the sound, but you FEEL it Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
eday2010 wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Haha! So you are living in the 90's [url]and[/url] are blind! If you honestly don't know the difference between the old fashioned boxy CRT televisions and the thin widescreen HD televisions, then ther is something wrong, whether you mean picture quality or the actual physical TV.

Bananamango wasn't talking about low-end, run-of-the-mill, outdated junk like you mentioned. You don't create a home theatre with a cheap CRT and a no-name DVD player. He means the deal deal. Big screen, surround sound...something people who enjoy watching movies and sports appreciates.

Personally, I am still using old garbage, like Afaceinthematrix mentioned, excpt my DVD player is part of a home theatre system. When I do build a nice home theatre, I will definately be spending a few thousand dollars. The bigger the screen I can get, the better. HD Surround Sound and an HD player. If I can manage it, I'll get some cheap couches and cut the springs out of the seating and put some subwoofers in there instead so you not only hear the sound, but you FEEL it :D

Well I guess it depends on what you value. I don't spend that much time in front of the television, so maybe I haven't given HD enough of a chance. But I honestly can't tell the difference. I have a "box television." It isn't fuzzy. I can see the picture just fine. Also, for a DVD player, what is better about an expensive one? Both do what they're meant to do, and that's play DVDs.
bigdan
I recently spent about $100 on a new 5.1 channel DVD player and 5.1 channel surround sound system. It sounds fan-freakin-tastic! Get a copy of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on DVD and you'll know what I mean.
intruder_indeed
Thr trouble is these days theres to many peeps out there who rather like the sound of their own mobile phones, to which are no better than than a 1 transistor radio, and if you say to people things like DTS and 5.1 they aint got a clue a to what it is. Which is a shame really because a good home cinema set up rightly will even put the cinema's to shame with what they have got. Watch an horror film with the sound coming out of the TV and you wont bat an eylash. If you watch it in 5.1 through your HOme Cinema you will jump out of your seat, simply because it's the sound in an horror film that makes you jump and nothing more, and to be sitting in your seat with surround speakers behind you, the sound will raise to increasing volumes at points and hit you on the back of the head. Thus putting a lot better experience and pleasurable way of watching a movie. Music is also awesome encoded in DTS or 5.1 e.t.c. If you listen to Queens album night of the opera on the DVD Audio disc they released it simply blows you away and as bought the band entirely back to life. The vinyl album and CD of it, you may as well chuck in the bin. Because that is entirely crap in comparison.

I myself have a 7.1 set up wich can convert normal 2 channel stereo into 7.1, its totally amazing, and makes stereo just as redundant as mono because of the way it can seperate the sound of the original source through 7 channels rather than 2. Giving the listener a better projection of the sound which is far more clearer and detailed. Most peeps out there by a system with 5.1 and simply box all the speakers together giving you absolutely nothing and a shear waste of time. Home Cinema equipment as to be set up right, its the most important thing. Otherwise you will never hear the benefit of it.
eday2010
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Well I guess it depends on what you value. I don't spend that much time in front of the television, so maybe I haven't given HD enough of a chance. But I honestly can't tell the difference. I have a "box television." It isn't fuzzy. I can see the picture just fine. Also, for a DVD player, what is better about an expensive one? Both do what they're meant to do, and that's play DVDs.

A DVD player that costs more than $40 tends to be more reliable, and also produces a better picture. That's right; it's not just the TV that determines picture quality.

Sure, you can see the picture just fine on an old-school CRT TV, but when you see the same thing on an HDTV right next to it, you will definitely see the difference. If you can't, then you might need to visit an optometrist!

Sound that comes out of TV speakers sounds like crapola. I won't watch TV anymore without my home theatre system on Smile
xava
I spent a lot of money for that 'couse prices are expensive in here. But now I have good homesystem and I am enjoing with that:D
bonestorm74
I'd like to get one set up, but they are expensive. Maybe I'll get a bit at a time. At the moment I have a 40 inch TV but that's about it.
menino
I have a poor mans home theatre system, consisting of a cheap projector ($400), my old laptop (original cost $300, and $20 2.1 creative speakers, and it works well, I guess.
I mainly watch scifi on it, so its ok.

For drama and serious movies, I watch it on tv.

There is a way to convert and old LCD into a projector, using a high watt lamp. Maybe you can build it, if you google it.

Good luck!
chatrack
I am also a fan of big screen. Now a days price of HD lcd projectors are going down, so I hope to buy one in recent time. I preffer to build a Sound system than buying.
paul_indo
This is my new hobby for nearly a year.

My gear is not that expensive but I am happy with it.

I have a Toshiba projector, an LG 42" HD 1080p LCD,an LG DVD home theatre surround system and a Patriot Box Office media player for HD video.

I want to add an Onkyo 5.1 channel Home Theater Reciever and HSU HB1 speaker system but they are a bit expensive, maybe next year.

I prefer the LCD to the projector unless I want to use it outdoors for a crowd of people. The picture is just more impressive in my livingroom. I might upgrade to a 47" LED later but still LG, I like the price and quality of their LCD's LED's.
Covert-Waffles
I cant wait to move out and get my own place here in a few months, to finally be able to enjoy my own home theater system. The parents don't understand the need for something like this. They don't see why you would buy Blu-Ray over a standard DVD. "It looks exactly the same!" they say.

Ill probably spend a decent amount on mine, but within reason. I don't want to go flat broke....
andysart380
i have a home cinema...its called my laptop...high def..altec lansing audio.. ballin right??
menino
haha andysart.
Thats like a home theatre for liliput. Laughing

I also use my laptop for small-time drama serials
eday2010
Last summer I finally got to upgrade my stuff. 52" Toshiba LCD television, LG Blu-ray player, Yamaha audio/video receiver, Onkyo 7.1 surround speaker set, and a WD HD TV Live media player.

Heaven is in my living room!
deanhills
eday2010 wrote:
Last summer I finally got to upgrade my stuff. 52" Toshiba LCD television, LG Blu-ray player, Yamaha audio/video receiver, Onkyo 7.1 surround speaker set, and a WD HD TV Live media player.

Heaven is in my living room!
How large is the living room? I would imagine you have to have really good acoustics and position the speakers in optimal places?
supernova1987a
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Well, if there is HD you gotta use HD. It does not make you materialistic. You need to keep up with the times at least I think. And be aware of all things that there is. Isn't the old Black and white movie different from today's Avatar? But well, maybe there are other things in life that you care more about. How I wish the world was a little different from what is now. I really need to buy the 3D TV but I do not have money.
jpayee
Cinema is much better than any tv Smile
eday2010
deanhills wrote:
How large is the living room? I would imagine you have to have really good acoustics and position the speakers in optimal places?

I don't know how big it is off the top of my head. I do know it is not ideal for speaker placement, but I did the best I could. The surround sound still sounds great, but I know it would be better if all the surround speakers were level.
jigoku05
I have a 32in LCD TV that comes with a DVD player and a 5.1 speaker system that cost roughly around 650USD when converted.
soljarag
I just bought a Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver ... I got it on sale for $650 .... For the past 5+ years I have been using my dads old reciever and speakers from the 70's ... My next purchase will be speakers...

I figure these systems last 30+ years (my dads system still works great) so I might as well buy a really good one

I mostly listen to music, so I'll probally only get 2 front and 2 side speakers .... I have no need for a 7.1 system Smile

This reciever is a 7.2 system with Multi Zone capability so I'll use 2 speaker ports to power my outside speakers
Abhishukla
i love animals.
among animals i prefer a rabbit ..it is just a nice one i love playing with rabbit
Abhishukla
i love watching movie at home.
i use movies in HD quality that makes watching movies very nice
kemal44
I got my 5 +1 sound system
deanhills
Like Matrix, I've also been conservative with my investment in "home theatre" equipment. I am always thrilled though when I experience these at friend's homes. He is right in saying that it has to do with priority of spending money. I love watching movies, but my equipment are limited to a smallish L-G LCD (26 inches) connected to my Sony Stereo set (also in the lower end of just two speakers), and a DVD player. Reading all the comments here, think I need to get more with it and upgrade my equipment. So will put that into my to do list. I can use the LCD with my desk-top computer to replace my current 15 inch LCD. A 36 inch screen would be great. Not sure about the surround sound system though, any up to date recommendations?

I like Sony both for picture and sound. Anyone has recommendations for better sound than Sony, not necessarily on the upper more expensive side of their range?
soljarag
i just added a HTPC to my setup..... I got a slim dell desktop on ebay for $200 to play all my HD movies.,..

I'm using XBMC for my player... i have to say, its a pretty sweet setup
standready
eday2010 wrote:
Haha! So you are living in the 90's and are blind! If you honestly don't know the difference between the old fashioned boxy CRT televisions and the thin widescreen HD televisions, then ther is something wrong, whether you mean picture quality or the actual physical TV.

Well I guess I am still in the 80's. My 27" CRT television and VHS! I do have a DVD player and 5.1 surround sound so maybe 90's after all. I had to go out and buy the digital converter box ($10) to keep using my TV with my antenna. I think I just put myself back into the 80's or 70's (laugh)
When these eventually die, I will update but since I am not a huge movie buff, I have other priorities for my money.
eday2010
standready wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Well I guess I am still in the 80's. My 27" CRT television and VHS! I do have a DVD player and 5.1 surround sound so maybe 90's after all. I had to go out and buy the digital converter box ($10) to keep using my TV with my antenna. I think I just put myself back into the 80's or 70's (laugh)
When these eventually die, I will update but since I am not a huge movie buff, I have other priorities for my money.

I hope your TV has the fake wood paneling on the side. I would actually like to find one of those vintage sets in working condition just for the nostalgia factor.
standready
eday2010 wrote:
I hope your TV has the fake wood paneling on the side. I would actually like to find one of those vintage sets in working condition just for the nostalgia factor.

Why, yes it does it does wood grain sides! (laugh)
I believe in using things until they are used up completely then recycle. I drive my cars until the wheels fall off or repairs get out of line. I use my computers until upgrade is absolutely necessary for my engineering work. I still have the older computer also because I have some DOS engineering programs that I use and cannot upgrade. I am using a LCD computer monitor because my 9 year old CRT went "BOOM", Flames shot out the of it!
watersoul
standready wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Why, yes it does it does wood grain sides! (laugh)
I believe in using things until they are used up completely then recycle. I drive my cars until the wheels fall off or repairs get out of line. I use my computers until upgrade is absolutely necessary for my engineering work. I still have the older computer also because I have some DOS engineering programs that I use and cannot upgrade. I am using a LCD computer monitor because my 9 year old CRT went "BOOM", Flames shot out the of it!

Lol, I'm the same, got a 36 inch TV thats almost as deep as it is wide, and I didn't even buy it new either. Half the time I watch movies on the laptop placed on the coffee table in front of the sofa, but with the sound running through my 20 year old amplifier, it works, and I can't see how spending a few thousand will increase my entertainment any more.
3D is the new one though, and I guess an upgrade of sorts will be needed someday to enjoy that in all it's detail, but nah, for now, I'll stick with what I've got while I can.

...same as my car, until it costs me more to fix it than it's worth Smile
standready
watersoul wrote:
3D is the new one though, and I guess an upgrade of sorts will be needed someday to enjoy that in all it's detail, but nah, for now, I'll stick with what I've got while I can.

I will wait for the holographic projection like in Star Trek:TNG before I upgrade. I give that 3-5 years. First, they must milk consumers for what will be useless 3D upgrades.
watersoul
standready wrote:
watersoul wrote:

I will wait for the holographic projection like in Star Trek:TNG before I upgrade. I give that 3-5 years. First, they must milk consumers for what will be useless 3D upgrades.

Lol, agree with that, I'll look forward to buying the used 3D upgrades from the "milked consumers" in a year or two then Smile
Radar
I don't know. I feel like the cost of the projector isn't really the problem, as much as it is the cost of the bulbs. So owning a project is fine, but only use it rarely / if you have people over.

I would rather spend less money on a TV and more money on computers though.