FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A few Linux problems+questions

Agent ME
I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop about a week ago and have a few questions and problems that hopefully someone here can help me with. I've also posted this at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4220693#post4220693 - some other info on my laptop is there if it'd help. (And the numbered items are numbered to be the same as the unanswered problems on the link if you're wondering why there's no #2, #3...)

1. Whenever I'm playing certain full screen games like quake3, the volume controls on my laptop don't do anything. Pressing mute won't mute, etc. If I exit the game, they'll work immediately afterward, but not while I'm in the game. Can I fix this? (I've only had this problem with q3-based games, and ioquake3. Some other games, I have the problem that the volume control makes the game lose focus and I have to click to make it come back up.)

4. I've been using ThunderbirdPortable with Enigmail plugin for my email on windows, so when I got linux, I figured out if I put the standard linux version of thunderbird on my flashdrive, and managed to set it up to use the same profile directory as the windows portable version on the flashdrive. It loaded all my email and the enigmail plugin.
But the enigmail plugin is still set up to try to use the windows version of gpg. I can change it, but then it will want to use the linux version when I try to use it on windows. Is there a way around this?

10. If I switch users (leaving first profile logged in), then log out of the second one, it goes back to the enter password window because its locked, but the screen is completely blank except for a mouse. I have to move the mouse until it becomes the symbol when its being held over a text box, click, and enter my password, press enter, and then log back in, which things work fine afterward. This is pretty annoying as I'd like to be able to use this feature without blanking the screen. Anyone have some ideas to fix this?
NovaBreak
I don't use Thunderbird, but I know a tad about Quake Smile

Quake captures your input, and it doesn't recognize the volume inputs. I know of no way to fix this, except for to pause the game, make the window lose focus, change the volume, then go back to playing.
If you feel that is a hassle, I suggest you us a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-f#) and open up alsamixer, and then switch back into X with ctrl-alt-f7. Whenever you need to adjust the volume, just ctrl-alt-f# and it'll take you to the alsa volume controls.

For fixing the OSS problem, I wrote a script a while back that involved fixing the sound, then automatically opening Quake. Unfortunately, you still have to input your password, but I believe it's better because you only need to type in one command instead of a string:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
[enter your quake command here, sorry, I dunno where you put your quake files.]

All you have to do is save it in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin as quake(or a name of your choice), make it executable, and you can use it. Just type quake(or whatever), type in your password, and you're good to go!

As far as I know, there's no solution to undo the blanking of the screen, it comes with the program I suppose.
But hey, prove me wrong! This friend will help you out!
Agent ME
Oh, I forgot to post that I'd found out how to fix the quake sound problem yesterday, exactly the way I wanted. I edited part of the bootmisc.sh file from
Code:
   # Remove bootclean's flag files.
   # Don't run bootclean again after this!
   rm -f /tmp/.clean

}

case "$1" in

to
Code:
   # Remove bootclean's flag files.
   # Don't run bootclean again after this!
   rm -f /tmp/.clean

#-----------------------
        # fix sound for Quake 3 and Enemy Territory
        echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
        echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
        echo "wolfsp.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
        echo "wolf.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
        #------------------------
}

case "$1" in

I found the fix after a lot of googling with some luck. Now I don't even have to login as an administrator to play quake 3 with sound - its set up automatically at boot up.