FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Backup a Linux (Fedora) installation

mike_phi
Hi there I have optimised and configured a server running fedora 5, I would like to have a backup of this setup so I can use the backup as a instalation input to another mechine, i.e. a kind of snapshot of the current installation which I can store on disk.

any tips ideas

cheers
bostko
Try Norton Ghost. It makes image from your hard drive and compress it into a file. It's just like an iso image from CD. You may have problems with grub but it can be easy repaired with Ubuntu live CD or fedora rescue CD.
FriBogdan
Norton Ghost is not so good .. i've tried and i was not very satisfied at that moment. I've searched the net and after reading some discussions on different forums... i tried Acronis.True.Image. You will see that it is a complex piece of software but it has a friendly interface.

Hm... at that time Norton had some problems... one of them appeared when you modify the size of the partition you've backed up. Probably now the problem is fixed ... but i'm stil a Acronis fan Smile

Here is a description from the official Acronis web site >> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Have fun Smile.
mike_phi
Hi there is there no free linux based tool to do this or internal tool distributed with linux which would be able to snap shot the entire installation and configuration preferably as a iso image I could use