FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Simpsons REALLY sucks

eday2010
Anyone catch this Simpsons this past Sunday (January 27; 8pm)? What a horrid piece of crap. Obviously this show is completely out of ideas if they have to start making up stories about how marge was in college in the 90's, and Homer was a grunge musician. First off, they already did at least one story about Homer and music, with the one where he was part of a babershop quartet.

Secondly, and most glaring, is the fact that the flashback stuff takes place in the 90's. I'm sorry, but those stories don't work anymore since the show was on for the entire duration of the 90's. It's like they are ignoring everything that has already happened in the show and the fact that the kids have been around the whole time. Those stories worked in the first few seasons, but not anymore. The show should have ended 10 years ago. Each season gets stupider and stupider. If they'd go back to simple stories like they had in the first 6 or 7 seasons, it might improve things. But then they risk repeating stories. they should just do everyone a favour and put the show out ot it's and our misery.

I know someone will ask why I watched the show if I no longer like it. I like Weird Al, and he was on the show, but for the few seconds he was on, it wasn't worth the torture of having to watch the entire episode.
Bryan_Bezzle
I loved simpsons since the first episode I watched them. Sad thing is I stopped watching them a little more than a few seasons ago. It's sad how they tried to be more like family guy when fg took off. Simpsons had their own style and they dumped it. I'll sit down to watch a new simpsons episode, but usually i won't ever finish it.
hlavco
I haven't seen the latest episode, but I think the Simpsons is usually good for a few laughs. I think people are being harsh on it because it used to be so much better, but I think it's still watchable.
blk3
I used to watch every episode since the first one up to the 17th season then after that I just stopped. Well, maybe they should put it to rest and concentrate on Futurama instead which in my opinion is way much better then the Simpsons
imera
How many seasons have they been going? I started watching them for about seven years ago (I'm young, that is my excuse) and I liked them, but they are far from my favourite. I never thought they had a special line through the whole story, they only add new stuff, which might overwrite the previous story only to keep it going.
Kelcey
I still find it funny... but not as much as I did before. I used to watch it a lot back then. I watch it here and there now.
eday2010
I have the first 6 seasons on DVD. I just finished Season 1, and it's odd to see what the show used to be like compared to the lameness that it is today. It used to actually be a real show with a real story and some good jokes. It didn't need a joke or some sort of gag every 10 seconds. that's not what made it a success.

I plan on getting Seasons 7-10 since the show was still pretty good up ot that point, but after that, I am not sure if I will still collect the boxsets. I might just for the sake of completeness, but I might not because the show has been on a constant downhill slide since then. Even some of the voie actors on the show commented on how the quality of the show has gone down over the years. At least they don't pretend it's still top notch.
mattchun
Yes, i think so, it's not worth their fame.
snowboardalliance
eday2010 wrote:
I have the first 6 seasons on DVD. I just finished Season 1, and it's odd to see what the show used to be like compared to the lameness that it is today. It used to actually be a real show with a real story and some good jokes. It didn't need a joke or some sort of gag every 10 seconds. that's not what made it a success.

I plan on getting Seasons 7-10 since the show was still pretty good up ot that point, but after that, I am not sure if I will still collect the boxsets. I might just for the sake of completeness, but I might not because the show has been on a constant downhill slide since then. Even some of the voie actors on the show commented on how the quality of the show has gone down over the years. At least they don't pretend it's still top notch.

I think the mid seasons (like after 3) were probably the best. The oldest ones aren't as great in my opinion but I really like seasons 4-9 (I have all the dvds except 10).
Nameless
The Simpsons used to be one of my favourite TV shows ... and either I grew up, or the series started sucking a lot more than it used to. It's still watchable, but generally I don't bother. There comes a point where shows have run out good ideas, and should just be put down: The Simpsons has reached that point. *Hands writers rifle*. It's for it's own good.
eday2010
snowboardalliance wrote:
I think the mid seasons (like after 3) were probably the best. The oldest ones aren't as great in my opinion but I really like seasons 4-9 (I have all the dvds except 10).

The one thing I like about the early seasons is that it's just like a real sitcom, but with cartoon characters. Simple stories about lack of money, trouble at school, mini golf tournaments, work, etc were some of the best. A lot of people say season 4 was one of the best, myself included. Right now I am working on Season 2.

I also liked the show better when it was drawn and coloured by hand. I like the roughness the hand done stuff has. The seasons where things were coloured with digital ink look too clean and too computerized. There is a craftmanship to hand drawn and hand painted animation that cannot be matched digitally. Plus I find all the characters too yellow now.

Nameless wrote:
The Simpsons used to be one of my favourite TV shows ... and either I grew up, or the series started sucking a lot more than it used to. It's still watchable, but generally I don't bother. There comes a point where shows have run out good ideas, and should just be put down: The Simpsons has reached that point. *Hands writers rifle*. It's for it's own good.

The show needed to be put down many years ago. I think the worst episode ever was the VH1 Behind The Music parody. It bloody sucked. They should have put the show down before that episode. I don't find the show watchable anymore. Everytime I do watch it, it's a disappointment. Outlandish stories and gags every 5 seconds that seem to have everything built around them. The only episodes I still enjoy are the ones where they are telling stories, like the episode from last week or the week before, or any where they are re-enacting classic fairy tales or other stories. The Halloween ones are still decent too, but other than those, the show has lost it's charm. It's no longer about an ordinary family with regular problems, which is what made it so appealing to many people when it started.
bomba
dude the simpson is the best cartoon!
the movie so funny.
u dont know what u talking abount.
but its ok XD
Guelila
hmm
I love the show, but i agree that it has been going downhill for a while now.
However, I watched an episode from the new season last week, and it was really great Very Happy
I hope the new season brings more laughs!
FarShot
I used to watch Simpsons but the series got extremely pointless. Now, it seems to be getting better. I suppose I should look in on it sometime soon.
IceEagle84
i like the "black family"... The Simpson are stupid but funny... i like it... Teletubbies, spongebob are the greatest sh*t i´ve ever seen
driftingfe3s
I don't think it's as bad as many people say. I still think the new episodes are funny, it's a diffrent kind of funny but it's still funny. For going on so long I think The Simpsons are doing a great job keeing it fresh and competing with other animated sitcoms like Family Guy and South Park.
mattyj
Umm Dude...Its a cartoon, ITS NOT MEANT TO BE REALISTIC....

For starters none of them have aged in the 17 or so years the show has been running...

Who cares if they make up stories about what happened in the 90s ? Its part of what being a cartoon is
Zaini711
Yeah.. just enjoy it dude.... Simpsons not suppose to be realistic.... it's a cartoon for god sake... design to entertain broad type of audience...again BROAD TYPE... not all ! Of course some might find it boring or offensive even but might still consider South Park is excellent, which i find is entertain also....
eday2010
Umm, dudes... it's not about whether it's a cartoon or not. You obviously don't know about canon and consistency. Making up stuff that happened in the 90's ignores everythign that actually DID happen in the 90's on that show.

And just because it is a cartoon, doesn't mean it has to have stupid, retarded plots and stories. The show was best when it dealt with real life problems, like it did in the early 90's.
Fake
U sir are an idiot to call simpsons stupid
dickyzin
I haven't seen the latest episodes. I really like the Simpsons and I hope the latest episodes this topic is mentioning won't disappoint me. Well, one day the show will die. Everything will come to an end. The actors will leave or retire or sadly die (unless they can find replacements for the actors with the same voice).
j_f_k
Grow a brain. Here's a simple solution. If you don't like the show Don't watch it
Lots of people do like the show - including me and it rates well so fox will keep it on.

With a show that's gone on for so long there's always going to be inconsistencies - I've spotted several in Mash, for example, this doesn't mean it was a rubbish show.

It also doesn't seem to be devoid of new ideas - there's always new celebrities and new situations to take a poke at - classic recent one was the simpsons in britain nad the 300th special.

I think part of people's perception that recent epiodes are not as good as early or middle ones is they are getting bored with it.- personally don't watch it often enough to get bored. I thynk in every season there are several 'dud' episodes that don't float my boat, but equally each season throws up at least 1 or 2 absolute pearlers. The key is that this can be said pretty equally about all seasons, early middle and recent.

Imagine someone from Mars whos never heard of the simpsons sitting down to watch selected episoes from early middle and late seasons - would they necessarily find the later ones not as good as the earlier ones - just remember your reaction to Tree house of horror VI (the 3d one) when it was first aired more than 10 years ago - or ?Lisa's wedding.

If and when the show ends and it must eventually do (are you listening MG) an obvious last eposide idea would be a parody on the Jump the Shark from happy days. Just a thought
Danish752
My opinion is that they should quit the simpsons and finish the long awaited extra series of futurama

and they compare nothing to family guy !
i Think family guy gets funny each season !
escritor
I agree with the first comments. The earlier seasons were better.
Fake
I am a simpson lover
NO matter what
Its not hard to come out with something new and brilliant in every episode
lethaltriad
The simpsons was much better in the earlier days.. probably because it was newer and fresh and now they pretty much have done everything and it becomes more predictable than anything. Still love the characters though and that for me usually makes a show enjoyable to watch.
escritor
lethaltriad wrote:
The simpsons was much better in the earlier days..

I was reading some story yesterday and it mentioned the episode "Who Shot Mr. Burns?". It's really a masterpiece.
gandalfthegrey
I couldn't agree more with the first poster. The writing and storylines totally suck! They should fire all the writers. I mean ******, any Simpson's fan could write a better episode. If they are smart, they would start seeking submissions of scripts from Simpson's fans!!! Evil or Very Mad
cruisx
idk guys, i still think the simpsons is the best comedy cartoon out there, family guy is too rude sometimes for my taste =p. I like the light humor in the simpsons, makes me laugh lol
McDucque
I always have and still do prefer the simpsons over Family Guy.

I've always viewed the audiences for the shows as two separate groups.

People who watch family guy are either huge nerds who get all the references, or just laugh at them because either everyone else in the room is or the randomness just makes it funny.

People who watch the simpsons are generally smarter and more observant, enjoying dry humor with the occasional physical comedy.

The Simpsons will always be more socially accepted than Family Guy.

South Park, don't get me started, that show isn't for anyone anymore.