FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac vs PC

Mac or PC
Mac
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
PC
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

bloodtiger10
Is the Mac or PC better and why (POLL)
David_Pardy
Oh come on, this has been done to death everywhere on the entire planet.

Mac = massively overpriced, no native support for most games, used to be better for video/photo editing but now things have changed. Running XP on the latest Macs to be able to run PC programs seems to work ok for most things though. Also, Quicktime is a load of crap.

PC = will run just about anything, can be upgraded and modified to your heart's (and wallet's) content.
bloodtiger10
Macs just rule, it doesn't matter there price, there way better than windows because...

A: They can run windows

B: They have better processers

C: They has better graphics

D: They have better programs

E: They have better games, (windows and MAc games!!!!)

F: They look cooler

G: They have just better stuff!!!!
David_Pardy
Haha, you are a true Mac fanboy then, if you don't believe price matters, which it DOES. Why do you think Mac makes so much money? It's not because their products are so much 'better' (which they're not, compare the iPhone to the Nokia nSeries for example) - it's because all the fanboys with too much money are too stupid to stop spending money on crappy hardware.

Now, that being said, Macs are useful devices if you want to spend the extra money just to run specific software (of which there is probably a PC equivalent these days anyway, but not necessarily in ease of use but most certainly in functionality).

Quote:

And yet they can't emulate a Windows midi processor without stuttering

Quote:

Made by Intel

Quote:

No they don't.

Quote:

Like what? PC has Maya which is the industry standard in the film industry. Mac has it too, but it's somewhat crippled.

Quote:

Mac games? What're those?

Quote:

So what?

Quote:

This isn't even an argument.
bloodtiger10
the games are eve online (check the topic), ok fine thats it but come on tyhe game is just awesome!!!!!!

Programs are Unity, Chetah 3D, Maya (like you said!!, Max, Photoshop, Pixlemater, saffari (well... thats now for windows too but the mac version has more fetures),
Xcode, Eclipse (I'm a programer so I know alot of programing
programs)
David_Pardy
Quote:
the games are eve online (check the topic), ok fine thats it but come on tyhe game is just awesome!!!!!!

There are thousands of 'awesome' PC games as well - online AND offline.

Quote:

Programs are Unity, Chetah 3D, Maya (like you said!!, Max, Photoshop, Pixlemater, saffari (well... thats now for windows too but the mac version has more fetures),
Xcode, Eclipse (I'm a programer so I know alot of programing
programs)

Maya is better on PC, so you can't claim that one. Safari is rubbish compared to Firefox. I don't know what the rest of the programs do, and since you can't spell correctly I can't read up on them.
David_Pardy
EVE Online is available on PC and Linux as well.

Although it looks pretty cool, I might look into it although I have no interest in paying monthly fees for games. At least I could have a crack at the 14 day trial, might be worth what little spare time I have...
bloodtiger10
Macs have more memory???................................ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
erlendhg
Talking about mac games and such...
Have anyone seen this parody?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2282754844569110939&q=mac+gamer&total=3764&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

It's awsome.

Also, here is a very famous parody of Apple's "talking on a white background" commercials:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4942162778167603560

It's a bit old though.
No offense to mac users. I laugh of Apple's pc parodies too Razz
David_Pardy
bloodtiger10 wrote:
Macs have more memory???................................ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

The Mac Pro - running on a Quad Core Intel, can support up to 32gb. I couldn't see if the OS could support that amount of memory though. I am fairly certain that Win2003 Server supports up to 32gb RAM, and I'm sure there are Linux distros out there which can support that amount. WinXP doesn't, however. I don't know about Vista, but it sucks so it doesn't count. It's essentially a server-spec Mac anyway, and I bet it's expensive.

The iMac can support up to 4gb, which I believe is supported by Windows XP.

By the way, I don't hate Macs, I hate the fanboys who do nothing but criticise every other non Apple product on the market...
eday2010
I prefer PC because of the plethora of programs I can run without needing to emulate another operating system. Not to mention PCs are not proprietary, which means I can easily open the case, and change things, add things and whatnot without much trouble with compatibility. Besides, why the hell would I want to pay $60 for a wired Mighty Mouse with that scroll nipple in the middle?
David_Pardy
Let's not forget to mention how many YEARS it took for Apple to embrace the TWO BUTTON MOUSE.

I still remember the three button IBM mouse my dad had in 1990. And then I remember the Mac, at school in 2001 - With the flashiest ONE button mouse I'd ever seen.
bloodtiger10
PSOTPSOTPSOT
David_Pardy
What?

I don't get it Sad
eday2010
Have they embraced the two button mouse? I haven't see a Mac mouse with two buttons...unless that scroll nipple acts as a button.

Macs are horribly overpriced in any case. A Mac Min is like $800 for the bottom line model, and you don't even get anything with it. So after buying your overpriced mouse, your overpriced keyboard, your overpriced monitor, and if you actually want a slightly more powerful Mini, it ends up costing you as much as an iMac.
andy26
bloodtiger10 wrote:
Macs just rule, it doesn't matter there price, there way better than windows because...

I disagree totaly with every one of these statments you have made mac suck simple as i wil continue to hate mac and love pc till the day i die.
okay they can run wondows but if your going to buy a mac to buy windows my question is why be a jerk and do that buy a pc and install windows duh! also im sure you can instal mac os watever on a pc but that would be discusting and should be sent to jail for it.
the only reason there arnt any viruses for mac is because it sucks so horribly no one even cares
thebattler36
Windows XP owns, only because MOST games are specifically designed for windows + there are a lot more windows compatible only apps. out there.

as for multi-osing, that eats up ur CPU and RAM
MeddlingMonk
The PC gets my vote. I prefer the Windows operating system to the MAC OS, as well as the range of programs that Windows supports (sorry Mac, but you just don't support as much without emulation and that wastes far too many resources).

And for those who are interested, it is possible to put MAC OS on a PC.... just not recommended:
http://ct.download.com/clicks?t=39537056-52b75694018db72cf94ae3fae3f1aa00-bf&s=5&fs=0
eday2010
andy26 wrote:
the only reason there arnt any viruses for mac is because it sucks so horribly no one even cares

There are viruses for the Mac. And there are also a ton of security holes in the OS too. Linux as well. Last year, PC World magazine had a little bit showing that in one specific month last year, Mac OS had more security patches issues for it than XP. And Linux also had more.

So it's not that windows is the least secure; it's that it's the most popular so everyone goes after it. Hackers rarely go after Mac OS since the user base is somewhat small, and all the hackers are bloody nerds and are probably using Linux, so they don't want to attack themselves.
thebattler36
The reason linux has a lot of holes in it is because it is so customisable, anything that you can change easily is susceptible to hacking, it's simple logic.
xbcd
Although i love mac's to death, pc does win here for gaming which is very important to many people. It is just very simple if you don't need gaming then go for mac. They are so well integrated and everything JUST WORKS.
Maddo
I have a PC right now, but I'm going to buy a Mac.

You can do everything on a Mac, except playing games. (But that's also possible with Dual Boot), I'm not saying that PCs suck. (So stfu)
The only 2 reasons that there are more PCs are;
1: The gaming ability;
2: People don't know that much about Macs and they don't want to spend extra time asking for information about them..
jeremyp
eday2010 wrote:
Have they embraced the two button mouse? I haven't see a Mac mouse with two buttons...unless that scroll nipple acts as a button.

I've owned Macs since 2000. In that time they have always supported two button and scroll mice. You can plug any USB mouse into a Mac.

Apple's own brand mice are effectively four button mice also with a two dimensional scroll "wheel". Having said that, they are an ergonomic nightmare for a leftie like me.

Quote:
Macs are horribly overpriced in any case.

They are not actually. They compare well with other high end PCs and have the advantage of not running Windows (unless you want them to).
David_Pardy
Yes, they SUPPORT two button mice, but I have seen very few Macs actually using a two button mouse.

And yes, the price of a low-end Mac does compare to a high-end PC, and doesn't run Windows, but the difference is that you're paying more money for a computer that does less stuff and only does some of it better.

If you don't want Windows, then get a high-end PC (still cheaper than most Macs), DON'T buy a copy of Windows, and put a Linux distro on it. You'll probably have more software to play with, and at NO cost of the Linux distro.

But then, I don't really care. I use Windows XP because it runs my games, plays DVDs and plays music. I don't see why I should complicate things.
Ankhanu
The Mighty Mouse is a 4/5 button mouse; it can be programmed as a single button, but it does have right/left click sensitivity. Though I agree that the single button mouse design is garbage; before I picked up my Mighty Mouse, I used a 5 button microsoft mouse.

For gaming, PCs win over Mac hands down. Video options and native software for PC just far outpaces Mac for gaming. That said, many games are available for Mac as well as PC, though there aren't a lot of proprietary Mac games.

For gaming, give me a PC. For almost every other application? I'll stick with my Mac.
I'm a more recent Mac user (I picked up my MacBook a year ago), and have been a Windows and Linux user for many many years. While I'm still more familiar with the inner workings of Windows systems, I do prefer the functionality of Mac systems.

And, c'mon, bloodtiger10, if you're going to defend Macs as gaming systems, at least use some facts rather than completely unsupported nonsense. Yeah, Macs are great, but they're not infallable.
Though I would like to pipe in that current Mac pricing is quite reasonable on many of their models, they're no longer grossly overpriced like they have been in years. My MacBook, for example, was a couple hundred cheaper than a comparable PC laptop. Yes, they have a history of being overpriced (last time I was laptop shopping, a Mac laptop would be about $1000 more than a comparable PC laptop), but it's a weak to false arguement these days.