FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

web cam

Tony The Tiger
I have had a web cam for a year that I do not use. It is built in to my Hewlett Packard, Pavillion DV9000T laptop. I have tested it to make video successfully with multiple software programs that came preinstalled. However, my mother mentions that she uses the webcam for conferencing. What software do I need to conference with my webcam. My mother is on MSN Messenger. Is this all I need? Do I need a subscription? How do I get my webcam up and running for conferencing.
corrupt
If you have a webcam and the appropriate drivers installed, you will be able to hold a video conference through MSN Messenger, or other software such as Skype which is a popular one. No subscription should be needed for either of these programs, although i would suggest making sure your internet connection is up for it bandwidth-wise as it can get frustrating on a slow connection with video/audio being out of sync or even pausing for a second here and there.
Tony The Tiger
corrupt wrote:
If you have a webcam and the appropriate drivers installed, you will be able to hold a video conference through MSN Messenger, or other software such as Skype which is a popular one. No subscription should be needed for either of these programs, although i would suggest making sure your internet connection is up for it bandwidth-wise as it can get frustrating on a slow connection with video/audio being out of sync or even pausing for a second here and there.

O.K. so it sounds like I can use Skype or any popular internet messenging service software. Let's say that my mother is on MSNMessenger and I use Hotmail will this be an issue? Do I have to be on the same IM "Network" or can one IM service conference with another?
bloodrider
It shouldn't be a problem, but why don't you try instead of asking?
Flarkis
Yes you have to be on the same IM network for the most part. The only exception being that MSN now allows you to add Yahoo contacts.
Tony The Tiger
bloodrider wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem, but why don't you try instead of asking?

My Mom is on vacation. I am not sure who else to test it with while I am still making foolish rookie mistakes.