FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

It's just a question of when.

When do you expect to see the first use of a nuclear weapon since the end of Wolrd War II?
Within the next 5 years
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Within the next 10 years
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Within the next 20 years
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Within the next 30 years
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
In my lifetime
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Not in my lifetime
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Never
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I have no clue
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

MaxStirner
The United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, North Korea(?) and Israel have a nuclear arsenal. A number of nations are or have in the past worked on the development of such a weapon including Libya, Iran and South Africa. A number of former members of the USSR have had control over nuclear weapons and are today suspected of selling technology and material and a number of terrorist organizations have shown interest in acquiring these.
Is it not simply a question of time before we see these weapons put to use?
Billy Hill
Depends on how soon a terrorist group gets a hold of one. If they don't, I don't see it happening.
ThePolemistis
Billy Hill wrote:
Depends on how soon a terrorist group gets a hold of one. If they don't, I don't see it happening.

dude,, America already has hands on them. And they are the only ones to have ever used them.
ThePolemistis
MaxStirner wrote:
The United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, North Korea(?) and Israel have a nuclear arsenal. A number of nations are or have in the past worked on the development of such a weapon including Libya, Iran and South Africa. A number of former members of the USSR have had control over nuclear weapons and are today suspected of selling technology and material and a number of terrorist organizations have shown interest in acquiring these.
Is it not simply a question of time before we see these weapons put to use?

Certainly not by South Africa who have completely dismantled their nukes. And Libya have completely stopped the production of weapons of mass destruction.
PMK-Bear
There has only been one country to openly use nuclear weapons on innocent civilians, and it's also
the only nuclear weapons holding country that has recently promised one of its proxies to repeat such action. Thus, I'd expect it to happen anywhere in the next 5 years.
jwellsy
I vote that it will probably be Dec 21st, 2012.
jmlworld
ThePolemistis wrote:
Billy Hill wrote:

dude, America already has hands on them. And they are the only ones to have ever used them.

Sure, the United States will use nukes in the next 30 years, since US has more enemies in the field... BTW, I think terrorists will not develop nukes but i suspect they'll have Nuclear once in their lifetime, by the hands of some country.
HalfBloodPrince
jwellsy wrote:
I vote that it will probably be Dec 21st, 2012.

Me too.
Bryan_Bezzle
I don't think it will be December 21st since the whole paranoia of that date stems from astrological alignment. Basically they say it will be the end of a solar cycle, and at the same time our sun will be in the center of the galaxy. That shouldn't be a reason to start shooting off nukes left and right. I guess since America is the big nuke holder we will have to pay close attention to who becomes president in the 2008 since December 21st 2012 will be towards the end of their 4 year-tenure.
thebattler36
Just to make sure.

i'm sure that iran is enriching nuclear waste, a process involved in the starting stages of making a nuke bomb, and/or nuclear power, the fact that they are enriching nuclear waste doesn't mean there are nuclear bombs in iran, the fact that people are misled by the wording of the US government astounds me, they have created an effective slur campaign on the middle east.

(i'm from uk.)
coolclay
Quote:
I think terrorists will not develop nukes
The terrorists 'err wait I mean Iran already have nukes. It's just a matter of time until someone steps on their toes, and they fire them off into the sky.
icecool
people who end up in a position where they can be in "charge" of any nuclear weapon - be they elected politicians, terrorists or just business people making a profit - are usually people who seek power.
this weapon gives the ultimate power.
these people also tend to be socially unstable - i.e. without a social cocnscience. history is full of occasions where guys - it is mostly men - like that just press the proverbial button.

see ya somewhere else.
better have your fun now while it lasts

cheers
liljp617
It all depends on when we run out of oil. The day after that occurs will most likely be the darkest day humans have seen (and probably one of the last).

coolclay wrote:
Quote:
I think terrorists will not develop nukes
The terrorists 'err wait I mean Iran already have nukes. It's just a matter of time until someone steps on their toes, and they fire them off into the sky.

No, they really don't lol...
Afaceinthematrix
I put that I wasn't sure when it would happen. I would like to be optimistic and say that we'll never use nuclear weapons because I'd like to think that human beings are above that. But saying that would be foolish. I feel that it will probably happen within 10 years, but I'd prefer not to think about it.
ganesh
I think the ultimate deciding authorities who have to push the button always realize the true gory nature of nuclear weapons. Better sense will prevail at least in the near future, is my opinion.
MaxStirner
icecool wrote:
... see ya somewhere else. ... better have your fun now while it lasts ...

I have to admit that the above pretty well sums up my assessment of the situation. I am even a bit surprised that nothing of the sort has occurred yet, not even the use of a small, dirty bomb or some modified tactical munitions of which there must be thousands as remnants of the cold-war stand-off in Europe.
Even if I disagree with some US foreign policies as well as many of the ineffectual (or sometimes inept) methods of attempting to implement these, non-proliferation is very understandably near the top of the "to-do" list. It does seem though, that any attempt to keep taps on bomb technology and material is at best a rearguard action ultimately doomed to failure.
btw: Thank you for clearing up the meaning of Dec. 21st ...
Bryan_Bezzle wrote:
... that date stems from astrological alignment. ...

... I was at a loss why this date should have been picked by so many posters. Astrology has never had any significance for me so it's in my to-do list somewhere below divining from the innards of a sheep or reading from the layout of chicken-bones that have been tossed in the dirt.
Cddhesh
What i see is that every country is trying to show to others that how powerful it is in arms.Along with the development of many countries and nuclear testing done by them it is bit sure that within comming few years there will be fight between this upcoming nations.
MYP415
A lot of you are saying they will be used again soon, but I wouldn't be so sure. The world has changed since WWII and if any nation such as America or UK or whoever uses them, the rest of the world will become a lot more restless than they did last time. This could lead to another World war. Nations are more wary nowadays due to more information about the devastating effects a nuke has not only on innocent people but also the Earth.

The only real possibility I see is if a terrorist group gets a hold of one and uses it because it is obvious they don't care about dying. I think there is also a slight possibility the Chinese could use one in what could be the last democracy vs. communism war. That is a really scary thought, especially looking at all the new military technology the Chinese are creating, but such a war is still atleast a decade or two away.