FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do you like poetry?

fantoom55
hi, i wanted to ask you if you like..... poetry.
Alacarde
I do sometimes, depends on what it is about. And generally I like it to ryhme. Why do you ask?
eluder
Me, too. I also like to write epigrams, limericks, that kind of things. Anyone willing to make kind of 'contest'? Just for fun, of course.
lavender
whatever, i hate reading........... Confused
eluder
@lavender

"Me no reader, me is writer" ? Smile At times, a great feats for the mind and imagination. But only if you like this game, of course.
xiaarra
i like poetry. and i do like writing it sometimes. just for fun. i dont usually show it to my friends. but when i am online i dont mind showing it....

here is one. let me know how u like it. maybe i will post a few more.

Of Friends and Lovers

What does the sparrows know,
'bout the sorrow of the tree.
They turn to its branches,
When their wings are tired

What does the stream know,
'bout the sorrow of the tree.
They flow down merrily,
to their greater destiny.

The sparrows are chirpy and jovial,
Boosting his morale, early morn.

How he wished they would stay more,
and talk to him, for he is lonely.

But he knows, they dont have time,
For, They have a nest to keep,
Fledglings to feed, and-
A mate to love.

The stream is pure, a virgin,
And flows with a sparkling laughter.

Oh! how he wished she stayed
With him, his lover, forever.

But he knows, she doesn't care,
She's to meet the ocean,
And wouldnt remember him,
The moment he is past.
pevensie
I like some poetry, like nonsense poetry and limericks. But I dislike really long poems or story poems.
hive
I do like to read an write poetry. It cleans my soul...

recently (dark) readings:
Blake
Rimbaud
Artaud
Baudelaire
naz
I like poetry, writing and reading .
I find Brecht very good although he it''s sometime quite hard to read.
Bickering_Blonde
It depends what kind of poetry? But mostly it jumps from time to time.
new-ayu
I loooove poetry! I love Japanese poetry mostly.
Nameless
Are you kidding? I LOVE poetry. I write poems quite often, though I don't read poetry too often, and I'm planning on eventually publishing a book of my best poems.
anxiety1
i like poetry!

i used to hate it, but after studying it at school in great depth i really got into it. i started writing my own. i might post some up sometimeh
meet in rio
I love studying it, but I'm not the sort of person who reads it for fun. It really frustrates me if I can't entirely understand it, so I need to discuss poetry with someone.

My favourite poems are The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock and Kubla Khan. I think...
hanay
Poetry is freakin' cool! I used to hate it, but it kind of grew on me during English 10. See, poetry is all about expressing yourself without the constraints of modern grammar, spelling, etc.

For example:

T
H
I
S
I
S
P
O
E
T
R
Y
!

My teacher once told me to write a whole page of poetry and how he defined a whole page was from margin to margin and from top to bottom. Devious little me wrote a single word kitty-corner across the page, he could do nothing about it!
SharKay
Here is a poem I like.....

A Friend In A Box.....

I have a friend who lives in a box
He came to me one day with a knock,

This friend is real to me,
Cause I know he's there by the tick of the clock.

I open my box and to my surprise,
he's there right before my eyes.

This new found friend I have in a box..
We chat for hours by the tick of the clock.

You gave me something I never had,
You gave me a friend,

But he lives in a box...
ahmcnulty
I do like poetry...and quotes. My favorite for both of these is Ralph Waldo Emerson.
bewald
hanay wrote:
poetry is all about expressing yourself without the constraints of modern grammar, spelling, etc.

So true! Some of my favorite poetry is by E. E. Cummings (great name right?) but he write some awesome poetry because not only do the words play well, but he uses all kinds of little tricks to make a statement free from the words themselves-- some poems are writtenwithoutspaces or make shapes, etc etc. Very interesting to the eye, ear and mind!
apl_cdr
I have a great respect for poets and their works but I am not exactly fond of poetry. Poetry for me is synonymous with "riddle". I hate riddles.
SagMan
I really hate poetry!!
Kashinilaya
Everybody loves poetry, but some may not know that!
Poetry is concentrated beauty.
If you think you don`t like poetry, it`s probably because you don`t read it in a proper state of mind and in the proper speed.
Be settled and calm and take your time trough the lines of a poem. Real good poetry reveals its beauty as the blossoming of a flower: slowly and quietly.
In time, we learn that poetry is the color of the soul!
Varun
i do like poems but it all depends on what it is based, i really hate anything about love or bright sunshine and morals and stuff like that, i like something which is really funny or it should be scary!!!
i_am_mine
isn't there a seperate forum for posting poetry somewhere?can't seem to find it...
MAXDAMAGE
hanay wrote:
Poetry is freakin' cool! I used to hate it, but it kind of grew on me during English 10. See, poetry is all about expressing yourself without the constraints of modern grammar, spelling, etc.

For example:

T
H
I
S
I
S
P
O
E
T
R
Y
!

My teacher once told me to write a whole page of poetry and how he defined a whole page was from margin to margin and from top to bottom. Devious little me wrote a single word kitty-corner across the page, he could do nothing about it!

Poetry which has a clear message that can be understood without in depth studying of what other people have written about it or poetry which is pleasing to read is not my thing but I can appreciate people might like it. What I can’t understand however is poetry which either is highly convoluted or mixed up that people can read what ever they feel like into it or poetry which only exists to “challenge what we think poetry is”. These like the one above could be written by anyone without much thought in less than a minute.
palavra
but language is important

anyone can feel a poem in his/her own language
MAXDAMAGE
Kashinilaya wrote:
Everybody loves poetry, but some may not know that!
Poetry is concentrated beauty.
If you think you don`t like poetry, it`s probably because you don`t read it in a proper state of mind and in the proper speed.
Be settled and calm and take your time trough the lines of a poem. Real good poetry reveals its beauty as the blossoming of a flower: slowly and quietly.
In time, we learn that poetry is the color of the soul!

No that realy aint true I hate poetry sooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!
evanc88
Some of my favorite poets:

Donald Hall, Dana Levin, Kay Ryan, Robert Frost, Jane Kenyon, Seamus Heaney, Coleridge, T.S. Eliot, Robert Bly.

I'm a huge fan of poetry.
mimsxmassacre
christmas poetry
:]]

All those amazing dreams
And now the stillness of this place
Here my life will start anew
And time be measured from this day

This was not the plan
Not here, not in this humble shed
That somehow seems so perfect now
A sweet celestial irony

Who were those people here?
How could they know the time the place?
To seek a child who no one knows
And kneel before his lowly bed

And such a child as this
Whose eyes it seems I've always known
A smile that tells me everything
Without the need to tell me why

My love says not a word
Too busy living in his head
Anxious, bewildered and afraid
Yet proud and steadfast, come what may

Whatever lies ahead
The hand of God must have its way
This story is so wonderful
That it can only end in tears
TurtleShell
I don't really like poetry, over all. There are few poets I find who I can appreciate. Contemporary poetry is usually the worst. I don't understand most contemporary poetry.

There are, however, some poets who have my respect. Blake, Whitman, Wordsworth, Cummings. Also, those of you who read the literature forum regularly have probably heard me raving about Catullus from time to time. Also, my man, Stephen Dobyns.

My problem with poetry frequently stems from the fact that poets enjoy taking too many liberties with language. I spend most of my energy trying to figure out what they're talking about. All meaning is lost as I sit there and think, "what?".

I don't need instant gratification, but I think that most poets take the experience overboard.
jiangabc
i like poetry when i was young and i dont like it now
because i dont have many time yet
meet in rio
I just read what I posted here over two years ago, and I take quite a different view now.

I really enjoy poetry and will now read it for pleasure far more often than I read novels. I also have to say that I completely disagree with Hanay's assertion that poetry is simply 'expressing yourself without the constraints of modern grammar, spelling, etc.'.

As Stephen Fry puts it in The Ode Less Travelled:

Quote:
Suppose you had never played the piano in your life.

'Don't worry, just lift the lid and express yourself. Pour out your feelings.'

We have all heard children do just that and we have all wanted to treat them with great violence as a result.
Poetsunited
I'm going to make a poetry site soon a friend of me will help me with the php / sql things.

I'll post the link once its done so anyone can post their stuff.
ddukki
I love poetry because it's compact, deep and flexible. With no other form of literature can you do so much. Poetry itself is a broad term, no doubt, but the basic premise behind it is inspiring. It can be used for expressing just about anything, as long as there are words to interpret whatever somebody's feeling. The words don't even have to express anything, as long as the thought behind them is understood. In other words, yeah, I do like poetry.